• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Storage solution partnership?

laserbeam

Banned
A joint research agreement between Nintendo and InPhase Technologies suggests a radical future storage approach.. Holographic Storage.

InPhase Technologies has lots of information on the technology, and intriguingly appear on the patent alongside Nintendo as joint applicants.

"... disclosure is herein made that the claimed invention was made pursuant to a Joint Research Agreement as defined in 35 U.S.C. 103 (c)(3), that was in effect on or before the date the claimed invention was made, and as a result of activities undertaken within the scope of the Joint Research Agreement, by or on the behalf of Nintendo Co., and InPhase Technologies, Inc."

What is Holographic Storage?
Holography breaks through the density limits of conventional storage by going beyond recording only on the surface, to recording through the full depth of the medium. Unlike other technologies that record one data bit at a time, holography records and reads over a million bits of data with a single flash of light. This enables transfer rates significantly higher than current optical storage devices. High storage densities and fast transfer rates, combined with durable, reliable, low cost media, make holography poised to become a compelling choice for next-generation storage and content distribution needs.

In addition, the flexibility of the technology allows for the development of a wide variety of holographic storage products that range from handheld devices for consumers to storage products for the enterprise. Imagine having 50 hours of high definition video on a single disk, 50,000 songs on a postage stamp, or 500,000 x-rays on a credit card. Holographic storage makes it all possible.

Report on Patent

Inphase Technologies
Patent

Threi

notag
lol.

Well in the meantime just slap together some interns to develop a firmware update to run stuff off the SD card.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can anyone dig up the patient?

Also, IMO, Nintendo's best bet is to somehow find a way to update USB read speed with software. They really somewhat shot them self in the foot not putting in any sort of expansion port.

Core407

Banned
laserbeam said:
It also seems like a very likely way for them to avoid being forced to use Blu-Ray next gen sticking it to sony.

So is it safe to assume their next console will be up to far with the other consoles in tech specs?

nli10

I remember getting hyped about holographic storage and the 1-cm 'terabyte cube' when it was in New Scientist circa 1999. They suggested a 10 year implementation cycle so I can see a 2010 launched console using this - it'd be pretty high end though so maybe Nintendo 2012?

This is like when they bought that gyroscope company 5 years ago - a glimpse of a distant future.

Haunted

laserbeam said:
It also seems like a very likely way for them to avoid being forced to use Blu-Ray next gen sticking it to sony.
Wii 2 available for only FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE
THOUSAND
US DOLLARS.

Evander

"industry expert"
I've always loved the idea of just dropping a cube in to a box and having a game run.

It sounds like the future, to me.

Neomoto

This reads as future onboard storage for their next-gen system, not the storage solution you probably meant in the topic title :)

Haunted

What the...? Wikipedia is fast.

Wikipedia said:
In The Video Game Market

It is believed that Nintendo will be the first video game console maker to implement holographic data storage due to the recent uncovering of a Joint Research Agreement (a written contract, grant, or cooperative agreement entered into by two or more persons or entities for the performance of experimental, developmental, or research work in the field of the claimed invention) between InPhase and Nintendo.

Nintendo is also mentioned in the patent as a joint applicant: "... disclosure is herein made that the claimed invention was made pursuant to a Joint Research Agreement as defined in 35 U.S.C. 103 (c)(3), that was in effect on or before the date the claimed invention was made, and as a result of activities undertaken within the scope of the Joint Research Agreement, by or on the behalf of Nintendo Co., and InPhase Technologies, Inc." [10]

It is believed that this method of storage will be made available in the video game market as early as the near future for the Wii, Nintendo's current home console. [11]

Mithos

Core407 said:
So is it safe to assume their next console will be up to far with the other consoles in tech specs?

Up to par with Xbox720 and PS4, my guess is NOT.

Wii HD or Wii 2 or whatever will most likely be up to par with Xbox360 and/or PS3.

ksamedi

I think we will see this technology in there next handheld device. It could mean that the DS2 will have the same kind of interface as the Wii with channels and virtual gameboy games.

test_account

XP-39C²
If this holographic technology should be included in Wii 2 (or what it would be called), wouldnt this boost the price pretty much? Then i'm thinking of a holographic disc drive instead of a DVD-ROM or a Bluray-ROM drive. If i'm not mistaken, the reason for the relatively high launch price of the PS3 had much to do with the including of a Bluray player.

Or maybe holographic technology will be cheaper to produce when the Wii 2 comes out compared to what it costed to produce Bluray technology when the PS3 came out. I dont know, i'm just guessing :)

But anyway, i think its cool with holographic technology! :)

Core407

Banned
Mithos said:
Up to par with Xbox720 and PS4, my guess is NOT.

Wii HD or Wii 2 or whatever will most likely be up to par with Xbox360 and/or PS3.

Then why go with holographic discs? The amount they can hold is ridiculously higher than that of a blu-ray disc and will carry a higher premium.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Core407 said:
Then why go with holographic discs? The amount they can hold is ridiculously higher than that of a blu-ray disc and will carry a higher premium.
Digital Downloads and large game sizes?

laserbeam

Banned
Haunted One said:

Inphase is already selling Holographic drives so the technology isnt gonna go to waste. Its actually really interesting technology that as I said earlier would allow Nintendo to sidestep Sony totally next gen if blu ray and such remain

Azure J

Nintendo "Us" 5D Gaming am confirmed. :lol

Nice to see them working on the storage solution for not just now, but future iterations as well. Also Nintex is right, this is the type of techie stuff I missed from Ninty. The last time we had hardware speculation from them was from the golden ages of th "Dolphin".

Somehow I doubt that the next Nintendo system will use anything other than HDDVD. It fits perfectly in line with their partnership with Panasonic, it's more than large enough for 1080p games with loads of FMV and it's piracy free since it lost in the format wars meaning that almost nobody has a HDDVD burner and that blank HDDVD discs can't be bought.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
test_account said:
If this holographic technology should be included in Wii 2 (or what it would be called), wouldnt this boost the price pretty much? Then i'm thinking of a holographic disc drive instead of a DVD-ROM or a Bluray-ROM drive. If i'm not mistaken, the reason for the relatively high launch price of the PS3 had much to do with the including of a Bluray player.

Or maybe holographic technology will be cheaper to produce when the Wii 2 comes out compared to what it costed to produce Bluray technology when the PS3 came out. I dont know, i'm just guessing :)

But anyway, i think its cool with holographic technology! :)
10 year console life. By 2016, it will be cheap, if Nintendo invest its billions into making it cheap.

[Nintex]

Nuclear Muffin said:
Somehow I doubt that the next Nintendo system will use anything other than HDDVD. It fits perfectly in line with their partnership with Panasonic, it's more than large enough for 1080p games with loads of FMV and it's piracy free since it lost in the format wars meaning that almost nobody has a HDDVD burner and that blank HDDVD discs can't be bought.
HDDVD is dead, Blu-Ray won the war. 1.6TB Holographic Storage and no one will complain about storage ever again.
Drkirby said:
10 year console life. By 2016, it will be cheap, if Nintendo invest its billions into making it cheap.
The next-gens will launch between 2010-2012 by then the current systems will be ancient especially Nintendo's.

bryehn

Threi said:
Well in the meantime just slap together some interns to develop a firmware update to run stuff off the SD card.

This right here.

Knowing Nintendo, if they ever do use holo tech, they'll find the small.est size they can to put in their console.

laserbeam

Banned
bryehn said:
This right here.

Knowing Nintendo, if they ever do use holo tech, they'll find the small.est size they can to put in their console.

Smallest Holographic drive storage is 300GB. By the time this comes out if its for the next console they expect 1.6TB to be the standard drive storage

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You know, to be honest, I think if there was a Wii HDD, it would most likely ether use both USB ports on the back and become a Hub its self for other USB devices, reserving 100 MB/s of bandwidth for its self, and leaving the remaining 20 MB/s for other devices to use, OR some how manage to be a wireless device that opens up all 3 of the remaining BlueTooth Chanles available and that Nintendo some how slipped the ability to use High-speed Bluetooth or BlueTooth 3.0 before shipping the system out to have a max speed of 180 MB/s for a HDD... Yah, if anything, it would be the first one... And that assuming they don't just do a normal USB HDD find its 60 MB/s speed doesn't inhibit it too much.

Farnack

Banned
laserbeam said:
Inphase is already selling Holographic drives so the technology isn gonna go to waste Its actually really interesting technology that as I said earlier owuld allow Nintendo to sidestep sony totally next gen if blu ray and such remain
If you think this holographic technology can outperform bluray on the market, think again.

Nintendo isn't a hardware company and has no connections to any other industry. Sony has a theatre company, a music company, and produces all the hardware anyone can think of.

Oh yeah, it took me about 10 times to read your post before understanding it completely.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
VegaShinra said:
I could see it happening for the next Nintendo system. Doubt it would come for Wii.

Nintendo's proven no matter how it splits the console, it will release add-ons anyways. :lol But I agree, doubt it will happen for Wii.

Nuclear Muffin said:

Hrm, interesting. That would actually be pretty cool. They wouldn't have to worry about pushing a movie format on consumers so they wouldn't be blamed for using a failed format, and like you said the rest lines up pretty sweet as well. Hrm...

[Nintex] said:
HDDVD is dead, Blu-Ray won the war. 1.6TB Holographic Storage and no one will complain about storage ever again.

That's what they said when the "massive" CDs came out and killed floppy. Things will never stop escalating when it comes to technology.

laserbeam

Banned
Farnack said:
If you think this holographic technology can outperform bluray on the market, think again.

Nintendo isn't a hardware company and has no connections to any other industry. Sony has a theatre company, a music company, and produces all the hardware anyone can think of.

Oh yeah, it took me about 10 times to read your post before understanding it completely.

No one said anything about it overtaking Blu-Ray or outperforming it. It would allow Nintendo to have a console that doesnt use Blu-Ray though allowing them to owe sony no fees etc.

Top Bottom