• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008: Assignment Thread 49: Sell a Product to the Masses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Theme: Sell a Product to the Masses!

Submissions are due by Sunday, September 14th at 11:59pm EST.

Voting begins Monday, September 15th and ends on Tuesday, September 9th at 11:59pm EST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by posting the most embarassing picture of the contestants in question.

5) Have fun!

FAQs

Congrats, OnkelC!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!
Thanks to you all for voting. I sneaked in three (!) wristwatches in that shot btw.
Son of a...

Great theme, I know we did Advertising last year, but a lot of people weren't around for it and I thought it was one of our best themes.

Papi

Bah. I won't have my camera back until after the weekend.
Wanna extend the time period by a week?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Weird. If you submit a bloody watch shot, Onkel, I swear I'll come to Germany and destroy you.

Short time period works well for me, I leave on a trip next week!

Congrats, OnkelC - I hated the last topic because I couldn't 'create' a decent shot to fit the theme, but in your case the theme fit the shot. Ingenious. Anyway, great topic. I'll definitely be in on this one.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
time for submissions extended for one week, check OP for new deadlines.

ScientificNinja, thanks!

aidan, better book a ticket now...:lol

masses.jpg

Something weird I saw while stumbling through the arty theatre district of Sydney on Saturday morning. They were clearly trying to sell something because there were nice chalk stencils on it, but I was too hung over to figure it out.

I'll probably change this to something else - I just bought a light shed and I'm really keen to play with it. Then again, mega-busy this week, so I mightn't get a chance... *shrug*

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Very interesting shot. if nothing else, it definitely is a greatsight to behold. I am still wondering what the hell I am going to shoot for this entry

Papi

I just got my camera back. I will have my entry in tomorrow. Unless someone executes my idea before I do.

Edit:
GAFPhotoThread49.jpg

Canon EOS 450D, f/4.5, 1/128 seconds, ISO 100

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Well, it looks like I'm out of the Iron Man race. I'm leaving tomorrow for a two months stint in Europe and just didn't have the time (or motivation) to get a shot going for this.

I won't be able to submit for many of the upcoming assignments, but I'll certainly do my best to still get my vote in!

Thanks for all the fun times, guys (and gals)! I'll be back before you know it....

aidan said:
Well, it looks like I'm out of the Iron Man race. I'm leaving tomorrow for a two months stint in Europe and just didn't have the time (or motivation) to get a shot going for this.

I won't be able to submit for many of the upcoming assignments, but I'll certainly do my best to still get my vote in!

Thanks for all the fun times, guys (and gals)! I'll be back before you know it....

Take your camera with you and a really really wide lens!

nitewulf

IMG_5798.jpg

Canon EOS 40D
Flash Used: Yes, ETTL 2, bounced off the ceiling
Lens: 35mm f/1.4L
Exposure Time: 1/125s
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 200

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Fantastic picture, nitewulf. I have never had a drink in my life, but would consider it if it looked that good in real life.

I have my work cut out for me. I should really get on the ball.

Jirotrom

2858888228_615edb2098_o.jpg

Brakes that save my ass on many occasions.

Camera: Olympus E-510
Exposure: 0.25 sec (1/4)
Aperture: f/4.1
Focal Length: 20 mm
ISO Speed: 100

mrkgoo

Lucky forward: Nice idea and execution! And now I remember why I've found it so difficult to keep up with these threads.

Lucky Forward said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/brian4447/RSZ_2411ps.jpg

Canon 20D, 50mm f1.8, ISO 400, 1/400, f/2.5

wow, that's a great idea and photo!!!!!! not sure it would make me want firefox more, cause it also looks a little disturbing.. i mean.. it looks like there's a fox on fire..:p

but you had to get it right fast... awsome idea to make a logo like real life

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
wow, Lucky Forward, how in the world did you pull that off! :O incredible!

here's another last minute entry from me:

mggaf.jpg

it's the main shopping street in my town, marktgasse. where all the hundreds of shops sell their products to the masses ;)

took this earlier, it's one of my first b&w photos.

canon eos 450d
f/4.5
1/50

Forsete

Meh, had no ideas so I went for a standard boring PR shot.

2855842159_91da7f79b5.jpg

Camera: Sony DSLR-A700
Exposure: 0.6 sec (3/5)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Thai

Bane was better.
Lucky Forward said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/brian4447/RSZ_2411ps.jpg

I just forwarded the image to one of my friends who's a developer at Mozilla.

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Focal length: 31 mm
Exposure time: 1/13 second
Aperture: f/4.5
ISO: 800
Post Processing: Crop, adjust levels, bump up saturation, resize in the poor excuse for a real image manipulation program called Picnik.
What I was smoking: I went cynical.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
All of the entries. :)

ScientificNinja said:

Papi said:
GAFPhotoThread49.jpg

Canon EOS 450D, f/4.5, 1/128 seconds, ISO 100

nitewulf said:
IMG_5798.jpg

Canon EOS 40D
Flash Used: Yes, ETTL 2, bounced off the ceiling
Lens: 35mm f/1.4L
Exposure Time: 1/125s
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 200

Jirotrom said:
2858888228_615edb2098_o.jpg

Brakes that save my ass on many occasions.

Camera: Olympus E-510
Exposure: 0.25 sec (1/4)
Aperture: f/4.1
Focal Length: 20 mm
ISO Speed: 100

-xBerserker- said:
Order your Kodama colony today.

elcif6.jpg

guess said:

Warm Machine said:
5810058_e5938d245b.jpg

Took this in Vienna while I was there recently. Buy BEER!

AlteredBeast said:
Even ghosts can't resist the urge to play putt-putt!

Olympus E-510
60 sec.
Zuiko 14-42mm lens at 14mm
ISO - 100

Lucky Forward said:
RSZ_2411ps.jpg

cloudwalking said:
wow, Lucky Forward, how in the world did you pull that off! :O incredible!

here's another last minute entry from me:

mggaf.jpg

it's the main shopping street in my town, marktgasse. where all the hundreds of shops sell their products to the masses ;)

took this earlier, it's one of my first b&w photos.

canon eos 450d
f/4.5
1/50

Forsete said:
Meh, had no ideas so I went for a standard boring PR shot.

2855842159_91da7f79b5.jpg

Camera: Sony DSLR-A700
Exposure: 0.6 sec (3/5)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

OnkelC said:
smallIMG_0566.jpg

German Burgers. 'Cause Supersizing is for pussies.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
HEY LOOOK!!!!COLORZ!!! SUGAR!!! BUY NOW!!!!!!!:lol

2daf1ic.jpg

Squirrel Killer said:

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Focal length: 31 mm
Exposure time: 1/13 second
Aperture: f/4.5
ISO: 800
Post Processing: Crop, adjust levels, bump up saturation, resize in the poor excuse for a real image manipulation program called Picnik.
What I was smoking: I went cynical.

oh damn.. time is up?...
sorry i missed the deadline.. i had an idea that was made impossible unfortunately.
The other idea i had was too late and there was some photoshopping involved.. not sure that is allowed.

my vote:
1 Guess: Good DoF, great style with product (milky white), nice composition.
2 Nitewulf: beautifull style with product combo, great lighting. i would have liked the bottle to be the sharpest object in stead of the box.. (yeah, i'm anal.. but great shot). i want a drink.

Lucky forward had the most amazing photo and a GREAT idea, but i think it wasn't the best for this theme imo (a.k.a it wouldn't make me buy/ want Firefox more).

question in general: how much photoshopping is allowed?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
AlteredBeast, thanks for compiling!

Winner: nitewulf for that retro 70's Penthouse mag style ad lighting.
Runner-up: Lucky Forward for the tremendous effort.
Honorable mention: guess, you would have been my runner-p if not for Lucky Forwards contribution.

WAY less contributions that I thought, btw. Should have gone with a watch related theme.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
1st: Lucky Forward - for the crazy effort and creativity, and the possible danger of burning your house down :p
2nd: nitewulf - wonderful warm colours, great dark background, and the tie adds a very sophisticated touch.

good job everyone!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
1. Lucky Forward - Not only a phenomenal idea, but excellent execution. One of the best photos I have seen on these photo assignment threads.

2. Nitewulf - that soft, yet warm lighting really gets me. Awesome shot.

Honorable Mention -

Papi, terrific idea. I think the photo itself isn't as well executed as it could have been, though.

OnkelC - I love the sharpness and lighting of this shot.

Papi

I truly thought that the submissions would capture the theme rather than the theme be interpreted as the task of the photo assignment. The way that most people interpreted the theme didn't even come into my mind. :lol
Initially, I thought there would be photos of things such as: street vendors with a mass of people around them; street entertainers; strippers; and maybe drug dealers, rather than ad-like shots of products.
I thought that cloudwalking's submission was the closest reflection of the theme.

That being said, my first vote goes to Lucky Forward cause OMG HOLY SHIT.
Second vote: cloudwalking

Honourable mention: guess

First: nitewulf - A really professional looking shot that seems straight out of a magazine...there's even room for ad text at the bottom. Beautiful lighting, I would never have guessed this was a (bounce) flash shot.

Runner Up: guess - Very stylish and artistic, and easily worthy of a first place vote, but I thought nitewulf's shot just screamed "advertisement" in the classic sense.

Always-honest said:
question in general: how much photoshopping is allowed?
It's really up to each photographer, and then ultimately up to the voters. For example, a while back Rentahamster did a terrific self-portrait where he held up his hand in front of his face, and then photoshopped one of his eyes into the palm of his hand. Everyone agreed it looked great, but while some voted for it, others thought it relied too much on post-processing and passed.

On the other hand, I've submitted images that were originally taken in weak, unflattering light, but I rescued them with extensive levels/contrast/curves/saturation manipulation while still trying to keep the end result natural looking, and no one even raised the issue of too much PP.

Lucky Forward said:
On the other hand, I've submitted images that were originally taken in weak, unflattering light, but I rescued them with extensive levels/contrast/curves/saturation manipulation while still trying to keep the end result natural looking, and no one even raised the issue of too much PP.

okay, thanx.
i shoot in raw, so i always do some colour correction, but in this case i had a lightbulb hanging on a string.. i then later removed the string in Photoshop (soo it seemed it was floating in air) and had some rotation done in one area...... i will show it when the voting is over.

i like a pure shot, but sometimes you can add a little extra with some manipulation. For me it's all about the final image

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom