• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa 2008, NFS ProStreet and more for... Sega Genesis?!

M3d10n

TecToy is releasing yet another Mega Drive (aka: the Genesis) with 86 games, including 4 EA games ported from mobile: Fifa 2008, Need for Speed Pro Street, The Sims 2 and Sim City.

TecToy's product page
Games list

There are no screenshots or anything yet, but I've seen the NFS game running in prototype form and if the final product wasn't changed it's actually textured 3D of the kind I've never seen on a 16-bit console (it actually looked like a 3D mobile game).

2hrlqi8.jpg

NeonZ

The price of that console is just ridiculous. Otherwise, I would buy it just to see those ports...

M3d10n

I have no idea how Fifa, Sims and SimCity are, but NFS truly impressed me, to the point I still can't believe it. The game seriously looked like something out of a 32X or 3DO, but running at 10-15 frames per second.

But I don't know if the final version actually turned out like that, I'll have to check it out when I go to Brazil next month.

Very interesting... I wonder what they look like. The Genesis did have a couple of 3d games -- Hard Drivin', Red Zone, a few more... but it certainly wasn't made to push polygons. I'm a bit surprised though, because I hadn't thought TecToy had made anything new for the Genesis since the late '90s (when I know they did a Genesis "Duke Nukem 3D" that is completely different from the original except for some graphics)... huh. Cool. :)

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
About time the Genesis got its own version of Sim City. It is only like what, 16 years since the Super Nintendo version? Imagine if this happened with Street Fighter II, Sega boys would be crying waiting for this day. Ha ha, suckers.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
NeonZ said:
The price of that console is just ridiculous. Otherwise, I would buy it just to see those ports...

How much does it cost? I can't find a price on the Web site.

Danthrax said:
How much does it cost? I can't find a price on the Web site.

Brazillian consoles cost HUGE amounts, even stuff that's just a collection of 16-bit games like this... they have unbelievably high taxes on them. I would be surprised if the price isn't well over $100, probably...

Gagaman

A shame these new games are not going to be released on carts. It'd be the first time possibly ever that a Fifa game has become collectible. :lol

I think they may of got the console designs the wrong way around. The Master System 3 looks like it should be a Mega Drive 3, and Vise versa..

M3d10n said:
I have no idea how Fifa, Sims and SimCity are, but NFS truly impressed me, to the point I still can't believe it. The game seriously looked like something out of a 32X or 3DO, but running at 10-15 frames per second.

But I don't know if the final version actually turned out like that, I'll have to check it out when I go to Brazil next month.

Perhaps they're using a different chipset and emulating genesis hardware for the old games? I know TecToy usually use a GOAC but a chipset that could emulate a Genesis wouldn't exactly be pricey. Interesting none the less.

I'd like to see someone attempt to dump the ROM contents and then try and load them up on original hardware using a flash card.

brain_stew said:
Perhaps they're using a different chipset and emulating genesis hardware for the old games? I know TecToy usually use a GOAC but a chipset that could emulate a Genesis wouldn't exactly be pricey. Interesting none the less.

I'd like to see someone attempt to dump the ROM contents and then try and load them up on original hardware using a flash card.

Yeah, that is the question I have -- are those games actually running on Genesis, or are they running on something else and they are just included in the same box as the Genesis games?

AlternativeUlster

AlternativeUlster said:
About time the Genesis got its own version of Sim City. It is only like what, 16 years since the Super Nintendo version? Imagine if this happened with Street Fighter II, Sega boys would be crying waiting for this day. Ha ha, suckers.

:lol I forgot I wrote that.

fernoca

AlternativeUlster said:
:lol I forgot I wrote that.
You just bumped a year old thread ....for that? Even when there's already a similar thread, made recently discussing a newer product from them??... :lol

AlternativeUlster

fernoca said:
You just bumped a year old thread ....for that? Even when there's already a similar thread, made recently discussing a newer product from them??... :lol

They mentioned this thread in the other one and I reread it and I forgot my hilarious quip. :lol I am pretty cool you know.

Top Bottom