• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 firmware 2.50 allows easy access to recovery menu

Tiduz

Eurogaime
sorry if old
source: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=32783

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0SPmkV-jco&eurl=http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=32783

PS3 firmware 2.50 is sporting a new feature which lets you access the recovery menu by holding down the PS3's power button while it is switched off until you hear 3 beeps. The menu will display the following options: 1. Restart system, 2. Restore default settings, 3. Restore file system, 4. Rebuild database, 5. Restore PS3 system, 6. System update.

what does this mean? No more bricked ps3's? :eek:

Wow. If this is as good as it looks I may no longer need to be worried by the rumors that they've run out of 60GB replacements (unless my blu-ray drive fails). Awesome. Kudos to Sony for some excellent user-accessible support.

buffi

Banned
Could anyone with 40GB confirm that this works for them.

SONY changed a bunch of firmware related stuff between the old units (20/60gb) and the newer without backwards compatibility it seems.

The newer units run their firmware from the HDD some way, in other words if you change your HDD you need to reupdate the firmware. On older units (like my 60GB) the firmware isn't on the HDD and you wont have to reupdate it when you do a HDD switch.

I'm guessing this new feature is for 40GB (and maybe 80GB) units only.

Could anyone confirm?

edit: TL;DR version: 40gb units should be pretty much brickproof unlike the old units.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
angelfly said:
Doesn't work for me.

maybe fake then?

buffi said:
Could anyone with 40GB confirm that this works for them.

SONY changed a bunch of firmware related stuff between the old units (20/60gb) and the newer without backwards compatibility it seems.

The newer units run their firmware from the HDD some way, in other words if you change your HDD you need to reupdate the firmware. On older units (like my 60GB) the firmware isn't on the HDD and you wont have to reupdate it when you do a HDD switch.

I'm guessing this new feature is for 40GB (and maybe 80GB) units only.

Could anyone confirm?

or this

Woo-Fu

Banned
Everybody who is trying this has quite a bit of faith in their fellow man. My first thought was that somebody had found a bug in the firmware which would brick a ps3 if you did this and that they were trying to pull one over on the gullibles.

Jim

If real, I wonder if this requires you have an XMB load error before it will function. But yeah, I wouldn't randomly try that unless you do.

angelfly

Woo-Fu said:
Everybody who is trying this has quite a bit of faith in their fellow man. My first thought was that somebody had found a bug in the firmware which would brick a ps3 if you did this and that they were trying to pull one over on the gullibles.

Well considering the self cleaning feature I didn't think it was that farfetched.

Angst

I have a PAL40 GB and I can confirm that it works.

Had to try it a few times though and this is how it works:

Hold down the power button, first I got one beep and then two more beeps after which I released the power button. That got me inte a 480i menu like in the youtube video.

At my first try I waited for thre consecutive beeps, but it's first one, pause and two more beeps.
Woo-Fu said:
True, I didn't think about that until I read your post. But it sure works. :D

Banned
Works on my US 60GB:
24mxi7l.jpg

It is a single beep followed by a double beep, rather than three in a row.

angelfly

Angst said:
I have a 40 GB and I can confirm that it works.

Had to try it a few times though and this is how it works:

Hold down the power button, first I got one beep and then two more beeps after which I released the power button. That got me inte a 480i menu like in the youtube video.

At my first try I waited for thre consecutive beeps, but it's first one, pause and two more beeps.

True, I didn't think about that until I read your post. But it sure works. :D

Ok so it has to be done twice in row

Edit: I got it working

WickedLaharl said:
20gb here and it worked for me.

Angst said:
I have a 40 GB and I can confirm that it works.

OK, so if this does end up working with all models - BC or not - then people should really be made aware of it as an option before giving Sony a call for a replacement. Maybe we should have a "What to do when your console has issues" sticky for all consoles with tips like these.

65536 said:
Works on my US 60GB:
24mxi7l.jpg

Does the System Update option go out to the web and download it or does it go looking for it locally (flash card, usb drive, etc)?

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
_leech_ said:
OK, so if this does end up working with all models - BC or not - then people should really be made aware of it as an option before giving Sony a call for a replacement. Maybe we should have a "What to do when your console has issues" sticky for all consoles with tips like these.
Don't worry, I'm pretty sure Sony phone support will be very aware of this menu and first thing you'll be doing in the call will be pushing that button :lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
65536 said:
Works on my US 60GB:
/http://i38.tinypic.com/24mxi7l.jpg

well there is one dude who got his PS3 bricked after FW2.5 , someone should PM him to try if this can fix his system

Valkyr Junkie said:
I get worried by anything that could aid modders.

yeah this too , won't this open the door for piracy and Modding on PS3 ? if so then Sony should patch this ASAP .

angelfly

_leech_ said:
Does the System Update option go out to the web and download it or does it go looking for it locally (flash card, usb drive, etc)?

It tells you to insert storage media containing 2.5 or higher update.

DKnight said:
Don't worry, I'm pretty sure Sony phone support will be very aware of this menu and first thing you'll be doing in the call will be pushing that button :lol

My buddy's PS3 died because of the 2.5 firmware update and I don't think the person he talked to mentioned it. He's down $200 for a replacement. I just hope he catches this thread before he sends his system out.

Banned
rhfb said:
But where is the fan self cleaning option? :(
The fan test is not a cleaning mode.

Certainly, spinning the fans quickly may dislodge a little bit of dust, but there shouldn't be any need to do this.

_leech_ said:
My buddy's PS3 died because of the 2.5 firmware update and I don't think the person he talked to mentioned it. He's down $200 for a replacement. I just hope he catches this thread before he sends his system out.

You could always call him.

hteng

Banned
this is good news, this means there's a backup factory default image stored on the machine and will be useful when you brick your PS3 with updates.

MadFuzzy

AmMortal said:
What's this whole Database thing?

The first mention of it appeared when installing 2.0 for the first time which is when playlists were introduced, so maybe it's related to that?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MadFuzzy said:
The first mention of it appeared when installing 2.0 for the first time which is when playlists were introduced, so maybe it's related to that?

I though it was 2.50 that showed this database thing for the first time? Anyway, I guess it does some kind of HDD indexing for faster seeking times (icons load faster etc)

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
_leech_ said:
If the system broke precisely during the 2.5 update there's no way to access that menu.

MadFuzzy

TTP said:
I though it was 2.50 that showed this database thing for the first time?

I definitely remember seeing it for the first time when I installed 2.0 but it did also do a "database update" for me when I installed 2.5. Maybe they've updated something fundamental to do with the playlists recently (perhaps it's related to the new "scene index" feature or possibly sequential playback).

Negaiido

I just used some of the options because my PS3 was crashing sometimes.
Now I have the feeling that its faster but it could just be my imagination

guggnichso

Banned
The "database thing" seems to be the file index of the console.

This was changed in 2.5 and seems to be the reason, why files and icons in xmb now load MUCH faster.

Top Bottom