• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008: Assignment Thread 53: People

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Theme: People

Another broad theme, as the last one was such a success. Whether it's an intimate protrait, a shot of a rowdy crowd or an idyllic scene at a park, everyone's got the tools needed to capture the human spirit.

Submissions are due by Thursday, November 6th at 11:59pm EST.

Voting begins Friday, November 7th and ends on Saturday, November 8th at 11:59pm EST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by a beauty pageant.

5) Have fun!

6) Submit something!

FAQ's

Tf53

Ooh, nice theme. Can't wait to have time to go shoot (god damn deadline, I still have 15 pages left, and 13 hours to go. No sweat.)!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Thank you for choosing another broad topic. We had a lot of great entries on the last theme, I am sure that we will get a lot with this one. Hopefully people don't take pictures of their cats dressed up in people clothes and then say, "animals are people, too!" :p

I have a couple ideas, gonna try to get a great shot. joshshch's from last thread would be perfect for this one, imo. :p

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
congrats aidan! and a great theme you've chosen here. i already have an idea, now i wonder if i can pull it off...

AlteredBeast said:
Hopefully people don't take pictures of their cats dressed up in people clothes and then say, "animals are people, too!" :p

crap, my idea shot down already :p

just kidding!

RSZ_3090ps2.jpg

Canon 20D, 17-85 IS at 30mm, ISO 400, 1/80 sec. f/6.3

Lucky Forward said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/brian4447/RSZ_3090ps2.jpg

Canon 20D, 17-85 IS at 30mm, ISO 400, 1/80 sec. f/6.3

damn, that reminds me of clockwork orange somehow.. great shot

Xun

I've been missing these recently, so I'll try and come up with something on this assignment!

Also congrats Aidan!

aidan

3002735705_4f5ef1b095.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure: 0.05 sec (1/20)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Bigger

Tf53

3005859539_5a87cd58d5_o.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.4
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/1.4
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II
Focal length: 50 mm
Exposure time: 1/60 second
Aperture: f/2
ISO: 400
Post Processing: Crop, adjust curves and levels, resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: I totally chanced upon this thread half an hour ago and realized I had the deadline wrong. I had given up for this assignment when I decided to check out what I had in camera. This is my son playing with his sister's jack-o-lantern. Even though he's not identifiable, I'm pretty sure this breaks my no-pictures-of-the-kids-on-the-internet agreement with my wife, so enjoy it before I get bitch slapped.

mrkgoo

Squirrel Killer said:
Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II
Focal length: 50 mm
Exposure time: 1/60 second
Aperture: f/2
ISO: 400
Post Processing: Crop, adjust curves and levels, resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: I totally chanced upon this thread half an hour ago and realized I had the deadline wrong. I had given up for this assignment when I decided to check out what I had in camera. This is my son playing with his sister's jack-o-lantern. Even though he's not identifiable, I'm pretty sure this breaks my no-pictures-of-the-kids-on-the-internet agreement with my wife, so enjoy it before I get bitch slapped.

I was also hesitant to post pictures of people I know. But this thread was so asking for it.

Don't worry, it's just between you and me, smashed hat.

Tf53

Winner: youta
Runner-up: kitchenmotors

Black_Mamba gets a dishonorable mention for his shot, which was taken in August.

Papi, are you a b-boy yourself? Also, aidan, I'd like the shot a lot more if it wasn't for the black and beige thing on the left side of the photo.

aidan

Winner: Youta

Runner-up: SK

Tf53: Me too. Unfortunately Chris Hansen was about to pop around the corner, so I wasn't able to get the shot framed as well as I'd have liked. I had another shot where that fellow wasn't in the frame, but it was too blurry to consider. Aww, well, I suppose that's the charm of street photography.

1 Black_Mamba
2 Lucky Forward

Great set of pictures, overall.

My parents bought a nice Nikon camera last week, so I might try to join you all next time. :)

1 -xBerserker-: wow, i love this shot. i love how it shows inside and outside, beautifull color (tiffany lamp) in a monochromatic space, and the single person completely unaware of the photo being made (so it seems)

2 lucky forward: love the cinematic look (reminds me of a poster i used to have from Clockwork orange). It's great that you can't see what's outside.. that makes me wonder what's there, what's going on.

great shots everybody.

First: Tf53 - A great comical portrait, nicely executed!

Runner Up: kitchenmotors - Tight composition give it impact, perfect point of focus on the eye, great bokeh in the background. The color balance seems a little greenish to me, was it taken under fluorescent light?

First Choice: kitchenmotors - The color cast may be completely unintentional, but I like it anyway. Reminds me of an old photograph after years and years and the colors have awkwardly faded. While the composition is great, for me, it's the context with the election that really elevates this entry.

Runner Up: Tf53 - :C :lol

Honorable Mentions:
mrkgoo - With a nineteen month old, I've got a ton of similar, but blurry, photos like this, so I'm probably a bit biased, but I love the sense of connection that you see between the two.

Lucky Forward - Looks like a perfect album cover.

And actually, HM's all around, every entry has something to recommend it.

One side note to my entry. I was planning an election-related photo (B&W with the "Vote Here" sign in focus and the line in bokeh) but my county was too damned organized. I had all of an unphotogenic five minute wait, and every polling place I drove by had no lines either.

12 kitchenmotors
8 youta
7 Lucky Forward
7 -xBerserker-
4 aidan
4 Squirrel Killer
3 Tf53
0 mrkgoo
0 Papi

3* Black_Mamba

The Top Four:
kitchenmotors
vote.jpg

youta
dsc_0081.jpeg

Lucky Forward
RSZ_3090ps2.jpg

-xBerserker-
fn4twg.jpg

Qwik stats:
Winning Margin: 4
Entries: 10*
Votes: 13
Vote Distribution: 80% (8 of 10*)
New Participants: Black_Mamba, youta

Random trivia:
- There are over 6.7 billion people today.

Congratulations, kitchenmotors on your first win!

NeoGAF Photo Assignment Threads FAQ

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Congrats kitchenmotors, you definitely deserved this one! I thought this one really stood out above all of the other pictures in this thread, now lets see a new topic!

mrkgoo

Squirrel Killer said:
Honorable Mentions:
mrkgoo - With a nineteen month old, I've got a ton of similar, but blurry, photos like this, so I'm probably a bit biased, but I love the sense of connection that you see between the two.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! :D I'll start a new Photography Assignment sometime today.

The gymnasium where this shot was taken during "Student Voting" has weird lighting. I was going to correct the color in Aperture but I liked the way it produced the "old faded photo" look that Squirrel Killer mentioned.

mrkgoo

kitchenmotors said:
Thanks for the kind comments everyone! :D I'll start a new Photography Assignment sometime today.

The gymnasium where this shot was taken during "Student Voting" has weird lighting. I was going to correct the color in Aperture but I liked the way it produced the "old faded photo" look that Squirrel Killer mentioned.

In my experience, I get such weird lighting from fluorescent lamps. I tend to go around shooting at +1 saturation too, which exacerbates indoor colour issues.

Congrats though, a lovely image!

Congrats, kitchenmotors!

Always-honest said:
2 lucky forward: love the cinematic look (reminds me of a poster i used to have from Clockwork orange). It's great that you can't see what's outside.. that makes me wonder what's there, what's going on.

Thanks again! Now that the voting is done, I'll reveal the extent of my photoshop trickery...

Here's the unedited image, straight from RAW:

RSZ_3090.jpg

I was out hiking when I grabbed this shot coming through an old covered bridge. What with the weak colors, I knew I wanted it to be B&W. I cropped it a bit, used levels to bring out the interior of the bridge, then used curves to blow out the brightly lit exterior. I then realized that the male silhouettes alone made for a stronger graphic image, so...clone, clone, clone...bye-bye girl and dog...and I had my entry!

Flek

Banned
congrats eventhough i think Lucky Forward should have won. Well whatever - where is the new thread??

mrkgoo

Thread is up. Theme is texture. Sorry, I'm on an iPhone so no cut and paste. Interesting info lucky, thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom