• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In this video, we play every SuperGrafx game

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard too much about this system lately... Retronauts and now you Chris. :lol Why did I not know you guys did video at Game|Life?

nice work man.

A little hammy on the dialogue... but what the shit did I do today? I worked and produced nothing of value.

Kobun Heat said:
I can't believe the MST3K shit actually looks alright. We just shot that in front of a green screen with lights in front of us to make us look silhouetted.

i liked it how you used it a little bit. interesting video, thanks

Cheerilee

I have one of those. Bought it at a flea market for next to nothing like 10-15 years ago. Never figured out how to hook it up (didn't come with all the parts) or what goes in it. Now I totally know what goes in it, and that there's no need to hook it up. Thanks Chris!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
This is the probably the one console that makes 3DO/Jaguar fans feel like they made a wise investment.

Hey... I have a 3DO -and- a Jaguar. I'd love a SuperGrafx... heck, I'd settle for just the CD attachment for the TG16.

vilmer_

DavidDayton said:
Hey... I have a 3DO -and- a Jaguar. I'd love a SuperGrafx... heck, I'd settle for just the CD attachment for the TG16.

I still play my 3DO and Jaguar :D I might have to ebay one of these suckers.

madara

How in world did you fit every SuperGrafx game into one video? There is so many of them!:lol :lol This is coming from an owner that paided $450 for it with battle ace. Good times with five of my high school friends teasing me to play the $500 video game, until they got addicted to it.

Crayon

Kobun Heat said:
I can't believe the MST3K shit actually looks alright. We just shot that in front of a green screen with lights in front of us to make us look silhouetted.

Strangly, I have somebody shooting me playing old games in the exact same style. Hes kind of a tool but pays me in weed so I don't question. Claims to be obsessed with how bad I am at old games. I think he wants to bed me down but I have other keikaku.

Rlan

Between this and Mielke buying some $200 Monster Hunter PSP Case it's no wonder why Game writers never have any fucking money.

camineet

Banned
Probably the most powerful console released in the 1980s, except for sound. It was an amazingly cool looking system.

l_supergrafx_all_1.jpg

super-grafx.jpg

13supergrafx.jpg

Sadly while the SuperGrafx games were good, for the most part they looked about as good as average PC-Engine/TurboGrafx games. In some cases, worse than the better PCE/TG16 games -- Almost like how alot of the newer Wii games look worse than alot of older GameCube games.

Farnack

Banned
camineet said:
Sadly while the SuperGrafx games were good, for the most part they looked about as good as average PC-Engine/TurboGrafx games. In some cases, worse than the better PCE/TG16 games -- Almost like how alot of the newer Wii games look worse than alot of older GameCube games.
I didn't know there were Supergrafx specific games. >_>

I have one btw. I loved how NEC was kicking Nintendo's ass in Japanese sales back then.

camineet

Banned
Farnack said:
I didn't know there were Supergrafx specific games. >_>

were you being sarcastic? sorry it;s hard to tell in text on the interwebs :lol

I have one btw. I loved how NEC was kicking Nintendo's ass in Japanese sales back then.

Yeah that was damn cool to learn about because I was *not* a fan of Nintendo back then. I remember reading in EGM PCE was selling better than the Famicom even though Nintendo had the largest total userbase.

NEC should've held off until 1990 then released a Hudson-designed 16-bit SuperGrafx with X6800-like or NEOGEO-like abilities, then it would've attracted both developers and gamers. Maybe we'd have at least 50 SGX games instead of 5 '__;

Two corrections, for anyone who cares...

-Actually, the SuperGrafx version is the only home port of 1941. The 194x series has seven games in it now (though one, 1943 Kai, is basically a modified version of 1943, not a fully original game -- though it definitely is different enough to list separately), and only the first two were on a lot of platforms; the next two were only on one home platform as well as the arcade, and the last two before this year's game were arcade only. In order, with all releases, 1942 (Arcade, NES, Game Boy Color, Spectrum, MSX, Amstrad CPC, Cellphone), 1943: The Battle of Midway (Arcade, NES, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Spectrum, Amiga), 1943 Kai (Arcade, TurboGrafx-16), 1941: Counter Attack (Arcade, SuperGrafx), 19xx: The Battle Against Destiny (Arcade), 1944: The Loop Master (Arcade), and the recent 1942: Joint Strike (PS3/X360 download only).

The arcade version of 1942 is in Capcom Generations (PSX, Europe only), the arcade versions of 1942, 1943, and 1943 Kai are included in Capcom Classics Collection (PS2, Xbox), and CCC Remixed (PSP), and Capcom Generations 1 (PSX/Saturn, Japan only) and the arcade version of 1941 is in Capcom Classics Collection 2 (PS2, Xbox) and on PSP in CCC Reloaded (the PS2 collections were mentioned in the video, though because the guy misidentified 1941 as 1942, he said it was in CCC Vol.1, while 1941 is actually in CCC Vol.2 and CCC Remixed), but those are emulated arcade collections, not home ports, so they're somewhat different things.

-There is actually as seventh SuperGrafx game, Darius Alpha, which like Darius Plus is a TG-16 game with SuperGrafx enhanced graphics. It's extremely, extremely rare and expensive, and isn't a full game -- it's just a boss-rush only version of Darius Plus. It was a limited trial release or something like that, which is why it's so rare and expensive. So no, you didn't play every SuperGrafx game... but given the price of the last game and what it is (just play Darius Plus instead...), it's most probably not worth searching out.

DavidDayton said:

Indeed, it'd be great to have one... for one thing, the system's design is really, really cool. How could a system that looks that cool not have done better? :) I'd love to have a SuperGrafx with all six games.

I can see why it failed, though. The graphics just aren't much of a jump over TurboGrafx graphics. It's pretty much just a TG-16 with two graphics chips so it can do an additional background layer and a few other minor additions, and that wasn't nearly enough. Sure, I can see why they wanted a TG-16 with parallax -- the SNES and Genesis both have built-in hardware parallax scrolling, after all, so TG-16 games looked progressively more and more backwards with their near complete lack of it. The problem is, it just wasn't enough of an upgrade for people to consider it worth the money... but it is pretty cool looking. :)

Oh yeah, and it may only have five games (seven including dual-mode titles), but at least there are some pretty good ones... the only home port of 1941, Aldynes (which is a pretty good shmup, actually)... and the others too of course -- Battle Ace is a fine game of its type, Darius Alpha another fun shooter, Ghouls & Ghosts (Daimakaimura) good though hard and also available on Genesis... Super Ghouls & Ghosts is the third game in the series, not another version of this game; Ghosts & Goblins is first, Ghouls & Ghosts second, and Super Ghouls & Ghosts third.

On that note, here's a great video comparing the Genesis and SuperGrafx versions of Ghouls & Ghosts. It's very thorough and is worth watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA4s5ft4suM

Plus, of course, the SuperGrafx plays all Japanese PC Engine HuCards (which is a lot of games!), and you can attach it to a PCE CD drive too to play TurboCD games, though no CD games have SuperGrafx-enhanced graphics. The PC Engine Super CD-ROM2 drive can attach directly to a SuperGrafx, but the original PC Engine CD-ROM2 drive needs an RAU-30 adapter cable to attach to the SuperGrafx. The only setup that can play every kind of TurboGrafx game -- Japan PC Engine, US TurboGrafx-16, Japan SuperGrafx, Turbo CD (System Cards 2.0 (CD-ROM2), 3.0 (Super CD-ROM2), and Arcade Card games) -- is a region-modded SuperGrafx attached to a Super CD-ROM2 or a CD-ROM2 via that connector cable.

Here's a site with reviews of all seven games:
http://www.defunctgames.com/showarchive.php?showtype=weekendrecapped&system=supergrafx
Shmups.com also has a review of Aldynes: (9/10, it is good if hard!)
http://shmups.classicgaming.gamespy.com/reviews/aldynes/index.html

camineet

Banned
For a long time the only home version of 1941 Counter Attack was on SuperGrafx, but in the last few years 1941 became playable on Capcom Classics Collection Remixed for PSP, and CCC Volume 2 for PS2/Xbox.

Otherwise a very nice summary of the SuperGrafx by A Black Falcon.

camineet said:
For a long time the only home version of 1941 Counter Attack was on SuperGrafx, but in the last few years 1941 became playable on Capcom Classics Collection Remixed for PSP, and CCC Volume 2 for PS2/Xbox.

Otherwise a very nice summary of the SuperGrafx by A Black Falcon.

Well, the SuperGrafx version is the only home port... it's not the only home version, but I'd say that a port is something a bit different from a straight emulated arcade collection. Each type can have their own advantages, though, and yeah, both are absolutely worth listing.

I just added that information before noticing your post... it was mentioned in the video, actually, though because he didn't realize that 1941 and 1942 are different games or something, he said that it's on "Capcom Classics Collection for PS2", while 1941 is actually on Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2. That needed to be corrected of course.

1942, 1943, and 1943 Kai are also available in Capcom Generation 1 (PSX/Saturn, Japan only). 1942 is in Capcom Generations (PSX, Europe only). As you say, however, 1941's only home ports are the SuperGrafx home port and the emulated versions on CCC Vol. 2 PS2/Xbox, and CCC Remixed PSP.

camineet

Banned
I was disappointed (and still am, even tho it doesn't matter) that SuperGrafx was still another 8-bit system like the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx.

Originally, before it was called SuperGrafx, the PC Engine 2 was meant to be a real 16-bit machine with 16-bit technology, advanced features like scaling & rotation, and improved audio capabilities. Something to truly rival the Super Famicom/SNES.

EGM issue Number 2 and 3 (July and September 1989)

pcengine2july19896ib.jpg

pcengine2july198926he.jpg

pcengine2augsept198928ev.jpg

2vvkoiq.jpg

EGM number 6

supergrafxarticle08ua.jpg

So actually, we were shortchanged of TWO 16-bit consoles:

1) an NEC & Hudson developed 16-bit PC-Engine 2

2a) the Namco 16-bit console,
2b) the Namco 16-bit console *as* the PC-Engine 2

curses!

robot

great video
on mute.

always thought this was just a redesign of the pc engine. was it backwards compatible?

andymcc

Banned
Holy shit, there was this import game store near where I lived when I was really young. I played that Granzort game, always thought it was PC-Engine CD game I guess. I remember it looking like the mecha-sequences of Keith Courage. Gonna let nostalgia get the best of me and buy this absurdly crappy looking game. :lol

camineet

Banned
robot said:
great video
on mute.

always thought this was just a redesign of the pc engine. was it backwards compatible?

SuperGrafx was backward compatible with PC-Engine HuCards, yes, and it could also be expanded with CD-ROM and System Cards to play any PCE CD game (CD-ROM2, SuperCD-ROM2, Arcade Card CD).

2254054234_cd6162eed4_o.jpg

SuperGrafx was still an upgraded system that played 5 of its own games, that could not be played on a regular PCE or redesigns of the PCE (CoreGrafx, Shuttle, CoreGrafx II, PCE LT).

The 5 released SGX games:

Battle Ace (1989)
Granzort (1990, unofficial sequel to Keith Courage)
DaiMakaimura/Ghouls 'N Ghosts (1990)
Aldynes (1991)
1941 Counter Attack (1991)

unreleased/rumored SGX games:

Strider
Galaxy Force II
Forgotten Worlds
Outrun

note: the released PCE CD-ROM Forgotten Worlds & Strider are not the same as the unreleased SuperGrafx versions.

Argyle

A Black Falcon said:
On that note, here's a great video comparing the Genesis and SuperGrafx versions of Ghouls & Ghosts. It's very thorough and is worth watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA4s5ft4suM

Hahah, I was with him when he was talking about the graphics, but he actually prefers the sound on the SuperGrafx version?

The Genesis sound hardware was closer (in technical terms) to the arcade CPS1 sound hardware and sounds noticeably better to me...

I will admit it: I lol'd at "There are more sprites here than a Coca-Cola bottling plant."

sprocket said:
This video represents everything i hate about gamers today.

Lack of slavish bootlicking of only the latest and greatest OMG HD GRAFUX? A sense of interest and care for the history of the medium? Willingness to (*gasp*) have fun?

camineet

Banned
I'm almost surprised that the SuperGrafx was even released. It could have very easily gone unreleased, like so many other consoles that never came out.

It could've even just ended up as a rumor. like "hey remember there was talk in 1989-1990 of a somewhat more powerful PCE called the SuperGrafx? NEC & Hudson were working on it, I wonder what happened. Does anyone have any info?"

That is so easy for me to see happening, but in this case, it came out, even though it only lasted 2 years with 5 games released.

camineet

Banned
Argyle said:
Hahah, I was with him when he was talking about the graphics, but he actually prefers the sound on the SuperGrafx version?

The Genesis sound hardware was closer (in technical terms) to the arcade CPS1 sound hardware and sounds noticeably better to me...

I agree. The Genesis version sounds better to me. The Genesis audio chip is superior to the one in the PCE/TG16 and SGX (they're the same). PCE/TG16/SGX music was always tinny and lacked FM synthesis.

As for graphics:

1988 Capcom CPS Arcade - GnG 1988, 32 Mbit
arcadegng1as9.jpg

1988 SEGA Mega Drive - GnG 1989, 5 Mbit
genesisghouls1ew6.jpg

1989 NEC SuperGrafx - GnG 1990, 8 Mbit
supergrafxghoulsnghostsyl7.png

1987 Sharp X68000 - GnG 1994, 32 Mbit
x68000gng1ey5.jpg

camineet

Banned
I payed something like $275 for an unboxed SGX console plus GnG in 1997
during the heyday of collecting these things (the mid to late 90s).

For those that are familar with import shops in the Chicago area, I got mine from
"Die Hard Game Club" (which became just 'The Game Club') in Arlington Heights or Palatine (they changed locations, and I think they swapped suburbs too, cant remember which was first, or maybe I am confusing the name of street: East Palatine Rd ?), a really tiny import shop that was pretty well known in the area, and used to be good back then. Speaking of them, i wonder if they're still around...

camineet

Banned
I found one of GameFan's GraveYard features:

gnggamefangraveyardik4.jpg

I know for certain they had another GraveYard feature on SGX but I can't find it.

Also:

supergrafx4it3.jpg

1941 is some awesome shit. I was glad it finally came to other consoles in the Capcom Classics Collections because while its awesome shit, it's not worth buying a SuperGrafx for.

Top Bottom