• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name some flash sites that run on devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is related to the Opera Wii 2.0 thread.

Currently, we're in a situation where mobile devices (like phones) or stationary devices (like Internet-enabled TVs or consoles) simply will not stream flash videos from sites that are operating on Flash 8 or above because Adobe refuses to license it. Seriously, what's the point in having sites that stream TV shows if you can't see said shows on an actual TV?

The PS3 has Flash 9, so there's a possibility that such a license is being trialled, but until such time as it is released, the pool of sites I can watch videos from on my TV is steadily shrinking.

So GAF, what are your favourite flash sites that will run on something like a Wii or iPhone?

Phoenix

viciouskillersquirrel said:
This is related to the Opera Wii 2.0 thread.

Currently, we're in a situation where mobile devices (like phones) or stationary devices (like Internet-enabled TVs or consoles) simply will not stream flash videos from sites that are operating on Flash 8 or above because Adobe refuses to license it. Seriously, what's the point in having sites that stream TV shows if you can't see said shows on an actual TV?

The PS3 has Flash 9, so there's a possibility that such a license is being trialled, but until such time as it is released, the pool of sites I can watch videos from on my TV is steadily shrinking.

So GAF, what are your favourite flash sites that will run on something like a Wii or iPhone?

There is so much untruth in what you're saying its unreal. Flash8 video lacks DRM, didn't show up until Flash 9. Device OEMs have had the ability to ask Adobe for Flash9 or Flash10 for over a year now. On most devices the memory/CPU footprint that the device OEMs are willing to spend money on is small so they are not capable of really running Flash properly. The ones that have an existing version don't really have a clean upgrade path for changing their browser implementations. On top of that, most of those guys run Flash Lite and NOT full Flash.

Anyways....

Phoenix said:
There is so much untruth in what you're saying its unreal. Flash8 video lacks DRM, didn't show up until Flash 9. Device OEMs have had the ability to ask Adobe for Flash9 or Flash10 for over a year now. On most devices the memory/CPU footprint that the device OEMs are willing to spend money on is small so they are not capable of really running Flash properly. The ones that have an existing version don't really have a clean upgrade path for changing their browser implementations. On top of that, most of those guys run Flash Lite and NOT full Flash.

Anyways....
Explain to me then, the reason why the PS3 is one of the very few devices that plays the majority of streaming video. Also, go edumacate some people in the Wii Opera 2.0 thread.

I was also under the impression that Flash Lite's latest version won't support Flash 9/10 for some reason.

Besides, the reason why the Flash implementation is crappy isn't important. How to get around it and get the most bang for your buck is.

Phoenix

Explain to me then, the reason why the PS3 is one of the very few devices that plays the majority of streaming video. Also, go edumacate some people in the Wii Opera 2.0 thread.

Because the PS3 has a shitload of CPU and a shitload of memory compared to every other commodity device on the market that you're talking about. As for educating the folks on the Wii Opera thread, I have neither the time nor the desire to educate them. I've given you all you need to go and educate them. if any of them want to know more I'll educate them at Adobe Max next week (Sun-Wed in San Francisco).

I was also under the impression that Flash Lite's latest version won't support Flash 9/10 for some reason.

FlashLite is NOT the same as Flash. They aren't really even the same code base. Flash Lite is a trimmed down version of Flash specifically for low CPU & memory devices. Flash light has considerable limitations in order to get it to run on CPU/memory limited devices. Read that sentence a couple of times and you'll understand why those devices can't support Flash 9/10. Hell Flash 10 has a pixel shader 3D pipeline in it.

Besides, the reason why the Flash implementation is crappy isn't important. How to get around it and get the most bang for your buck is.

Phoenix said:
Because the PS3 has a shitload of CPU and a shitload of memory compared to every other commodity device on the market that you're talking about. As for educating the folks on the Wii Opera thread, I have neither the time nor the desire to educate them. I've given you all you need to go and educate them. if any of them want to know more I'll educate them at Adobe Max next week (Sun-Wed in San Francisco).

FlashLite is NOT the same as Flash. They aren't really even the same code base. Flash Lite is a trimmed down version of Flash specifically for low CPU & memory devices. Flash light has considerable limitations in order to get it to run on CPU/memory limited devices. Read that sentence a couple of times and you'll understand why those devices can't support Flash 9/10. Hell Flash 10 has a pixel shader 3D pipeline in it.
Again, browser video support is what I'm after - not particularly difficult or memory intensive unless you're after extremely high quality (which you wouldn't be on an iPhone). It seems to me that a lot of the sites asking people to upgrade their flash player are doing so needlessly because they're not using the full featureset. Not only that, but by not offering support for older versions, they're constricting their userbase.

But yeah, again, the details of this aren't something I want to get into. I just wanted a list of sites that work on devices ;_;

Phoenix

Again, browser video support is what I'm after - not particularly difficult or memory intensive unless you're after extremely high quality (which you wouldn't be on an iPhone). It seems to me that a lot of the sites asking people to upgrade their flash player are doing so needlessly because they're not using the full featureset. Not only that, but by not offering support for older versions, they're constricting their userbase.

Perhaps because things like H.264 didn't show up until Flash 9? Just a guess since that is what everyone is encoding to since it doesn't have the legal issues, is small in size, and can be streamed by a ton of commodity services. And if the content is "real" content (like the stuff on Hulu) it will require a secure streaming service like RTMP/e, so you're SOL until you get a real Flash 9 implementation.

But yeah, again, the details of this aren't something I want to get into. I just wanted a list of sites that work on devices ;_;

You will be about to count them on one hand after you've lost a few fingers.

Phoenix said:
Perhaps because things like H.264 didn't show up until Flash 9? Just a guess since that is what everyone is encoding to since it doesn't have the legal issues, is small in size, and can be streamed by a ton of commodity services. And if the content is "real" content (like the stuff on Hulu) it will require a secure streaming service like RTMP/e, so you're SOL until you get a real Flash 9 implementation.

You will be about to count them on one hand after you've lost a few fingers.
I should have known it'd be a DRM issue. I understand now why they'd do it, but it still doesn't stop it from sucking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom