• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EIDOS BUSTED AGAIN - Now Blocking Tomb Raider Underworld Scores Under 8/10

h3ro

Gaming247 said:
Eidos UK PR firm Barrington Harvey has confirmed that British sites are being asked not to post Tomb Raider: Underworld reviews with scores lower than 80 percent until Monday.

The game releases today for 360 and PS3.

Gamespot UK journalist Guy Cocker revealed the tactic in a Twitter post on Wednesday that said: “call from Eidos–if you’re planning on reviewing Tomb Raider Underworld at less than an 8.0, we need you to hold your review till Monday.”

Said a Barrington Harvey rep on the phone this afternoon: “That’s right. We’re trying to manage the review scores at the request of Eidos.”

When asked why, the spokesperson said: “Just that we’re trying to get the Metacritic rating to be high, and the brand manager in the US that’s handling all of Tomb Raider has asked that we just manage the scores before the game is out, really, just to ensure that we don’t put people off buying the game, basically.”

British site Eurogamer has already gone live with a 7/10 score, an act the rep said had caused “problems”.

OXM UK has also posted a 7.0 score.

The news is unlikely to go down well. Eidos’s efforts at controlling review scores are still fresh in the mind: it was a row over Gamespot’s 6/10 review of Kane & Lynch that cost popular US journalist Jeff Gerstmann his job.

Tomb Raider: Underworld’s Metacritic average stands at 78 percent.

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/11/21/uk-tomb-raider-underworld-reviews-under-810-silenced-until-monday/

Wow Eidos. That takes some guts after the whole K&L thing... Props to Eurogamer and OXM for telling them to shove it. I wonder what these "problems" that Eidos is causing EG mentioned are (cutting adverts?)...

Can any of the NA gaming media that frequent GAF comment on whether they were given any sort of block or set parameters on what was OK or not OK in a review?

Also, adding this because it's awesome:

deadmenjeff.jpg

Credit to Glaurung for the pic.

Dachande

Fuck 'em. I wish games journalism would grow some collective balls and not give in to demands like this. Good on the few who've ignored them.

glaurung

Quick, photoshop this:

***picture removed, see opening post***

If you are going to credit me for a picture I found in another thread earlier, at least get my name right.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Amon37 said:
I don't understand the consequences Eidos can impose if people don't follow this?

No more preview copies, no more interviews, etc etc. I guess they could blacklist websites that dont follow it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Amon37 said:
I don't understand the consequences Eidos can impose if people don't follow this?

They don't give out preview/review builds to them and simply cut them off. Simple.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Amon37 said:

Advertising dollars. Loss of future Eidos game coverage. A permanent ban from the private Eidos harem sex cauldron.

glaurung

industrian said:
They don't give out preview/review builds to them and simply cut them off. Simple.

Fair enough, but if all the major gaming media players decide to screw their demands, they have nothing.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Amon37 said:
Considering Eidos' record on this, they'll pull a hissy fit, again. The problem is, is Eidos continues to pull this shit, they'll have no publication, online or otherwise to give their material to as they would have blacklisted them all.

Note to Eidos: Make better games, that stops bad reviews better than threats and toy throwing.
infinityBCRT said:
The funny thing I find about this story is a Gamespot Employee was the source. Revenge? :lol
Magfuckingnificent!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I don't know why this is big news.
This isnt like the K&L thing.

This happens all the time with every industry. It's simply an embargo till launch day on reviews. This isn't entirely news. It's not like they are blocking the review, just asking early reviews till be held out till product not on shelves.

Why does Hollywood not get shit on for not prescreening movies for reviews anymore?
They only invite "select" critics see the film before release.
Same thing, different tactic.

glaurung said:
Fair enough, but if all the major gaming media players decide to screw their demands, they have nothing.
True, and I hope they stick to their guns, but with the economic recession, money (and exclusives) means more now than ever before. We just got wind of more 1UP/EGM troubles, which sucks since they probably have the best team of personalities (even after the losses of Jeff Green, Shawn Elliot, Dan Hsu, Jennifer Tsao).

Amon37

John Harker said:

This happens all the time with every industry. It's simply an embargo till launch day on reviews. This isn't entirely news. It's not like they are blocking the review, just asking early reviews till be held out till product not on shelves.

No they are asking low reviews to held out, that's different then all reviews

glaurung

John Harker said:

True, but they usually embargo ALL reviews until a certain date, this here is utter bollocks because they are selectively blocking reviews that grade the game lower in order to boost weekend sales.

Which obviously blows chunks.

Darklord

Banned
I like Eidos. If they weren't so pathetic the last time, we'd never have gotten Giant Bomb. Who knows what good things will come from this?

I lied, I hate Eidos.

AndyD

aka andydumi
John Harker said:

Why does Hollywood not get shit on for not prescreening movies for reviews anymore?

Its one thing to selectively release your game for reviews, its another to release it broadly, then put a selective embargo on things you dont like...

If they want only X, Y, Z to release a review, then only give it to X,Y,Z.

Kildace

Opus Angelorum said:
I was just going to post this, strange.

It's not really strange, this is how brands work and is not limited to the video game industry or the internet.

It all comes down to the integrity of the title and its journalists. I've seen some well-reputed influent media owners bend over backwards to acomodate advertisers after bad reviews.

h3ro

glaurung said:
Quick, photoshop this:

***picture removed, see opening post***

If you are going to credit me for a picture I found in another thread earlier, at least get my name right.

Yikes, sorry man. Edited...

Baha

I never thought I'd see the day where I would start ignoring games from a publisher. Keep this up Eidos, and that day may come sooner than you think.

Grecco

Oh Eidos... :lol I remember reading an interview with one of the eidos guys on a game informer. The Guys is soooo sleazy.

gcubed

John Harker said:

as said before, this only blocks LOW scores, and it is blocking score POST release, not PRE.

They want to block bad scores until a weekend AFTER the game is released. So... basically this is nothing like what you stated.

Scrubking

glaurung said:

It's never going to happen. Advertising income, and preview scoops that attract lots of hits/readers are too juicy too pass up.

Most of the comments here have been bashing Eidos, and they deserve it, but everyone is ignoring the videogame media who routinely agree to this shit. I can't stress enough how the videogame media can't be trusted.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Thats pretty terrible. Its a solid game where the biggest complaint I've seen is that its a bit too short, thats hardly anything to hide. This however, is going to give skeptical gamers memories of Eidos shenanigans during the Core days. Eidos is a shitty company.

gcubed

Scrubking said:
It's never going to happen. Advertising income, and preview scoops that attract lots of hits/readers are too juicy too pass up.

Most of the comments here have been bashing Eidos, and they deserve it, but everyone is ignoring the videogame media who routinely agree to this shit. I can't stress enough how the videogame media can't be trusted.

unfortunately i think a lot of people who read reviews and take it semi seriously already have lost almost all faith in gaming journalism and their integrity. I applaud Eurogamer and OXM for posting their scores.

Retreat!

Barrington Harvey is not in the position of telling reviewers what they can and cannot say. We love Tomb Raider and believe it merits a score of at least 8/10, but if someone disagrees that’s entirely their prerogative. No problem at all. Seriously: no problem.

Our original NDA stated that in order to receive an advance copy of the game, reviewers agreed not to post reviews ahead of 5:00pm, Wednesday 19th November 2008. Nothing else. No further obligations whatsoever.

As you can clearly see from the scores posted so far, Barrington Harvey has no issue with scores of below eight out of 10 being posted online. The Eurogamer review in questions caused “problems” in so much as it originally contained a couple of minor factual inaccuracies which, to its credit, the site has quickly rectified and addressed (without, quite rightly, changing the context of the review).

Any site, be it Gamespot or whoever, is entirely within their rights to post whatever score they want and no-one is under any sort of obligation to delay any review.

As an ex-journalist myself, I firmly believe in editorial integrity and the right to express an individual opinion. As an agency, we never - ever - make demands of the press in terms of awarding scores; at the end of the day, they are free to score as they wish.

Barrington Harvey has been working hard to ensure the launch scores of Tomb Raider Underworld are in line with our internal review predictions over the launch weekend - but to suggest that we can in some way “silence” reviews of the game is slightly overstating our influence.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
glaurung said:

Define "major gaming media players". If you're going to list website names you have to keep in mind that they're arguably used only by a minority of gamers and users. To the average Joe on the street, a game is judged by one or two magazine scores, opinions of friends, and/or the back of the box. That and with a game with the gravitas of Tomb Raider, it doesn't really need reviews to sell.

Companies like Eidos and Ubisoft will always find regional magazines and media outlets willing to cash a cheque, i mean, "solely focus on the best parts of the game" in a review. Haze's glorious write up in that Italian PS3 magazine comes to mind immediately.

Struct09 said:
I'm going to guess that they could withhold early review copies in the future
What does that even matter though if they are going to embargo certain reviews anyway until days after the release date?

Actually I read the Eurogamer review and found it to be very abusive of the franchise in general. Which is a strange direction to go in when your entire front page has images of Lara pointing her guns everywhere.

I wonder what those "minor factual inaccuracies" were.

Top Bottom