• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where have all the arcade racers gone?

MechDX

hydrothunder.jpg

rush2049.jpg

speeddevils.jpg

rumbleracing.jpg

WHere have all the good arcade racers gone? I want some over the top, crazy ass turns, runnin from tornados thrown at you from other racers action dammit!!

Midway has shit sales yet all they release as an update to a great arcade franchise is L.A. Rush which was terrible and a pitiful attempt at an update. In this era of updated classics how come these games havent been updated with new gen versions? At least upgrade the Dreamcast/PS2 ports with some HD visuals/online play, slap em on XBLA & PSN and they would sell millions!

I still have my DC versions but it royally sucks that Hydro Thunder isnt VGA capable.

EDIT: I know, I know....Wipeout HD and Trackmania. Never was too into Wipeout

MechDX

SolidSnakex said:
Go get Motorstorm: PR and PURE.

Couldnt stand Motorstorm. Felt like Moon Patrol and Test Drive had a baby and that game was it. I have PURE and its more SSX than RUSH.

theBishop

Banned
c:\echo "Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Wipeout HD"

I agree this generation needs a water-based racer. That would be badass.

Adamant

Banned
There's tons of arcade racers, but not nearly as extreme as the OP's examples. I'd like to see a new good take on San Fran Rush & Hydro Thunder type racers.

MechDX

Sho_Nuff82 said:
PURE, Midnight Club LA, Burnout Paradise, NFS: Whatever, and Motorstorm 2 aren't arcade racers?

Maybe I shouldnt use the term arcade racer. Which one if the games listed has crazy ass loops, screaming announcers and giant tornado gun upgrades for the cars?

I hate the word "extreme" but I guess like someone said, an "extreme, arcade racer"....picky bastards.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Sho_Nuff82 said:
PURE, Midnight Club LA, Burnout Paradise, NFS: Whatever, and Motorstorm 2 aren't arcade racers?
Exactly...

I start to question some of you cats as gamers...Motorstrom 2 isn't over the top.

The OP means games such as beetle adventure racing with crazy ass jumps and what not.

"Maybe I shouldnt use the term arcade racer. Which one if the games listed has crazy ass loops, screaming announcers and giant tornado gun upgrades for the cars?"

Trackmania doesn't have guns and screaming announcers, but if you want loops and crazy jumps and shit, it's what you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkAAVrLwLtY

Even if you already know about Trackmania, I'm gonna shill it some more.

ram

Keyser Soze said:
Get GRID, Sega Rally, PURE and PGR4...

...fun times for all.

LOL - i cant believe someone lists GRID and SEGA RALLY Revo. both are shit games and even more crap when you consider them as arcade games.

and burnout paradise is not a real arcade racer. open world =/not arcade racing.

probably the best thing is outrun online arcade coming early in 2009. otherwise, i would love to see some water based racing game too - splashdown 3 - where are you???

MechDX

Teknopathetic said:
"Maybe I shouldnt use the term arcade racer. Which one if the games listed has crazy ass loops, screaming announcers and giant tornado gun upgrades for the cars?"

Trackmania doesn't have guns and screaming announcers, but if you want loops and crazy jumps and shit, it's what you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkAAVrLwLtY

Even if you already know about Trackmania, I'm gonna shill it some more.

Ill get it only if you call me on the phone whenever I want to play and yell "CHOOSE YOUR TRACK! CHOOSE YOUR CAR!"

Damn I miss the Hydro Thunder announcer guy......."CHOOSE YOUR TRACK!!!! BANSHEE!!!"

ram said:
LOL - i cant believe someone lists GRID and SEGA RALLY Revo. both are shit games and even more crap when you consider them as arcade games.

Everyone is valid to their own opinion, but I will hurt you!!! :D

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Burnout Paradise is a bad answer, you'd never see an open-world racer in an arcade. Revenge is much more apt.

I'd love to see Hydro Thunder on XBLA/PSN.

linsivvi

In 2008 we got Burnout Paradise, Mario Kart, Midnight Club LA, Pure, Wipeout, Motorstorm PR, GTI Club and Initial D. They might not be what you like but there were tons of arcade racers released.

Shig said:
Burnout Paradise is a bad answer, you'd never see an open-world racer in an arcade. Revenge is much more apt.

Crazy Taxi.

By OP's definition of Arcade racer, yes, they are dead. Because it doesn't sell in retail. ExciteTruck might be close, but even by your definition, it wouldn't count.

Side note: notice that 3 of the 4 games you list is by a certain company that is going under? :lol

Dave Long

Banned
MISS BEHAVE!

DAMN THE TORPEDOES!

ThrowdownMFer.jpg

In all seriousness, you need some EXCITE!

Also, GRID is a phenomenal arcade-style game with sim-like handling. One of my top ten for 2008.

ram said:
LOL - i cant believe someone lists ***GRID*** and SEGA RALLY Revo. both are shit games and even more crap when you consider them as arcade games.
What? As far as I'm concerned you have a really strange taste. :D

These in-between games like GRID, PGR, and NFS don't count. You have games that lean towards sims like GT and Forza, and then you have arcade games like Outrun 2, Excite Truck, and the first 4 Burnout games. Then you have the aforementioned games which have no idea which kind of game they want to be.

I want a Sega Race TV home port :(

<3 AM2

Haunted

They're still there, just spread out more. You basically need a PC (Trackmania), Wii (Excite, MKWii) and PS360 (Burnout, Wipeout) to get to all the good stuff.

Dave Long said:
I'll never be able to disassociate that avatar from Excite Truck. :lol

gururoji

I'm with you, OP. I've posted this in several threads before, but a remake / update of the 2049 franchise (Rush is good, Dreamcast Rush 2049 is way better) has to be at the top of my "wishlist". Lots of the games people are mentioning are great (I love PGR4, and Burnout Paradise and Trackmania are good) but nothing quite fills the Rush niche for me...

The closest thing in recent years was Gripshift. I know that a lot of people don't seem to "get" the handling, but if you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend sitting down with it for a while--once you get over the learning curve a bit it's really awesome.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Motorstorm (especially Pacific Rift) is the only racer you'll ever need.

1-D_FTW

ram said:

and burnout paradise is not a real arcade racer. open world =/not arcade racing.

probably the best thing is outrun online arcade coming early in 2009. otherwise, i would love to see some water based racing game too - splashdown 3 - where are you???

Sega Rally Revo on the PC where the IQ is awesome and the framerate is locked at 60FPS in a damn fine arcade racer. Is it perfect? No. Do I see how some people who love the series may be disappointed by certain things? Yes. But by any other standard, it's a GREAT arcade racer. And I'll take Sega Rally Revo over Outrun every single day of the week.

stuminus3

Banned
This topic confuses me. Arcade racing is one of my favorite genres, and if anything the genre is oversaturated with great games, not lacking in them.

How about (list warz!):

Excite Truck? Motorstorm series? Burnout series? Sega Rally Revo? Ridge Racer 6, 7, PSP? Flatout: UC? Pure? Trackmania? Midnight Club LA? GRID? New OutRun coming next year, too!

Lots of variety in these games now, too... they're not just the same old Ridge Racer / Daytona re-hashes. It's a great time to be a racing fan.

Sure, Midway have gone to shit. That I can agree with.

Dreamcast was the ultimate arcademachine.

Seems indeed the genre is bleeding dead.

I wouldn't exactly recommend excite truck, because I found it to be moderate in every aspect, but yeah, not much else for over the top funracing.

Although, if you can deal with gorgeous graphics, rather semi-realistic physics and thrilling arcade gameplay (throttle and boost + huge jumps FTW :D ), I can only recommend Motorstorm : Pacific Rift.

MechDX

AlphaTwo00 said:
By OP's definition of Arcade racer, yes, they are dead. Because it doesn't sell in retail. ExciteTruck might be close, but even by your definition, it wouldn't count.

Side note: notice that 3 of the 4 games you list is by a certain company that is going under? :lol

EXACTLY!! Port over some of the DC versions with updated visuals on XBLA and BAM!! Instant sales with little effort. BTW, 2 of the 4 are from Midway. Ubisoft and EA are two of them.

Once people are hooked you release a full fledged, sequel!

I wants me some Speed Devils lovin Ubi!! What other racing game were you chased by a tornado, a raging T Rex and King Kong??

MechDX said:
EXACTLY!! Port over some of the DC versions with updated visuals on XBLA and BAM!! Instant sales with little effort. BTW, 2 of the 4 are from Midway. Ubisoft and EA are two of them.

Once people are hooked you release a full fledged, sequel!

I wants me some Speed Devils lovin Ubi!! What other racing game were you chased by a tornado, a raging T Rex and King Kong??
Are you sure it's instant sale and little effort? Doesn't XBLA require all games to be outputted at 720p min?

There is one or two racing games on XBLA which could be classed as arcade, but i'm still waiting for a pure coin eater racing game to appear. Outrun live if like the xbox version is great fun but I would love to see skud race, V.R and Daytona style racers.

Top Bottom