• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: GrimGrimoire (PS2)

Ledsen

So I've had this game on my shelf since release, but never got around to playing it even though Odin Sphere is one of my favourite PS2 games (please don't hate me for that). Now that there's a bit of a dry spell until SF4 hits, I thought I'd power through this even though I normally loathe RTS games.

21or6o9.jpg

RTS, you say, and on the PS2 at that? Yeah, GrimGrimoire is basically a side-scrolling RTS with totally awesome Vanillaware graphics. The story, in a nutshell, is a charming mix of Harry Potter and Groundhog Day. You're a young girl enrolling in a magic school, and before you know it you're smack in the middle of a murder mystery and a devious plot to resurrect an old mage, all the while reliving your first five days in the school over and over again, frustratedly trying to stop the evil scheme before you're sent back to the first day for the umpteenth time. The characters are beautifully drawn and animated (if you like Vanillaware's puppet-animation style), and quite creatively designed.

So, the gameplay.

You have different Runes that you build that act as your buildings, and in them you build gatherer units that gather crystal energy (money) from various places on the map. These Runes can also be upgraded and they allow you to build other, related Runes that produce different units and can also be upgraded.

The fun part is that there are five different Magic types, and they all come with their own Runes, their own gatherer units (Imps for Sorcery, Ghosts for Necromancy, etc), their own tech-trees and units. It gets quite complicated and there are lots of tactics you'll have to learn as you get access to more and more Magic types and Runes. For example, Astral creatures can't be harmed by most physical attacks, so you would be wise to bring a Homunculus that can turn them into flesh and blood for a short while. Also Dragons are bad-ass (and look the part as well, climbing on the "outside" of the map), but if the little black kitty-cats hit them with a Sleep spell it's usually bye-bye-Dragon if you didn't bring your own kitty-cats to put the enemies to sleep as well.

This is all basic stuff of course but when you consider the five different Magic types and all the units, spells, upgrades etc you have at your disposal it's not all that easy to know what to build. The controls work surprisingly well, and the developers really thought long and hard about how to make the game playable on a console. It auto-pauses whenever you select a unit, and there are lots of handy shortcuts to help make up for the lack of a mouse.I'm really enjoying myself so far and would recommend this game to anyone who a) Likes RTS games but would like to try something new or b) doesn't normally like RTS games but would be willing to try something that looks and feels totally different than a normal RTS (this is me).

2ql4yrk.jpg

161l3zk.jpg

2cqika1.jpg

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I really need to go back and beat this game. I started playing it last year sometime and then I got distracted. It is so beautiful, not to mention being totally fun.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Nice, summary!

I didn't even realize that the Odin Sphere people made this. And Odin Sphere is fucking great, so I'm not sure why you think that is controversial.

I really want to try this now.

Lucis

I got to almost the end of this game but stopped for some reason. Now I will probably never be able to finish this because I only own a japanese copy of the game and my modded PS2 broke. And since my PS3 is bought in the US I can no longer play my japanese PS2 games.

But about this game, it's a fantastic game however it falls short in difficulty really fast. Once you get the chimera/dragon/ultimate unit of each magic school. It's pretty much just wipe the enermy. I remember zerging up a bunch of basic unit + 1-2 ultimate unit of each faction will just roll over the computer opponent with out even trying

I loved this game when I was playing it. But like most RTS games, as I got deeper and deeper into the game, I started getting overwhelmed with everything I had to keep track of.

I'd buy it again if they ported it to the Wii. Wiimote + RTS = yay.

duckroll

soldat7 said:
This is in my backlog. How long of a game is it?

It's not a long game. Maybe 10-15 hours at most. Really fun though, I really enjoyed it. The optional trial missions are pretty interesting too, and have challenges that you wouldn't encounter in the normal story missions.

Ledsen said:
a) Likes RTS games but would like to try something new or b) doesn't normally like RTS games but would be willing to try something that looks and feels totally different than a normal RTS (this is me).

Yeah I was in B but I ended up not liking it. That said it definitely was a breath of fresh air. It really does follow Vanillaware's lead of taking a sidestep for a genre. Maybe I should give this game another chance. I just HATE spending so long to beat a mission in these types of games.

ItsInMyVeins said:
So, which one is the better, Odin Sphere or Grim Grimoire?

IMO Easily Odin Sphere, but this question is like asking "What's better Guardian Heroes or Starcraft?". They're two completely different games

Odin Sphere is a game that takes the action RPG battle system and makes it it's own genre. Basically the map you are in is one big battlefield and you must analyze enemies, plan formations, plan counterattacks, and carefully execute them while analyzing enemies and your space to see if you can build up on that. It really isn't your typical "keep hitting A to do a chain combo, run back, and repeat" that most action-RPG's take place in. Though if repetitive backdrops in story heavy games, slowdown (mainly during boss fights) *though if you buy the PAL version or play it on a 60GB PS3 it's non-existant from what I've heard*, and load times scare you it may not be the best game for you.

Grim Grimoire is as the TC described. An RTS that turns the genre on it's head. It has slowdown as well and repetitive backdrops, but those are more common in an RTS (especially the latter).

I'd personally recommend buying both I mean each are probably like $20 or less now.

Musashi Wins! said:
Nice, summary!

I didn't even realize that the Odin Sphere people made this. And Odin Sphere is fucking great, so I'm not sure why you think that is controversial.

I really want to try this now.

A lot of people on gaming forums thought Odin Sphere was going to be something else when it came out thus resulting them being disappointed with it as well as playing it completely wrong. He was scared of getting flamed. Though it is praised critically and gets a lot of love from user scores as well as the core JRPG community. It's similar to Devil May Cry 4 or Windows Vista. The majority of people enjoy it but it's just a huge backlash from a much more vocal minority.

Also in case you're out of the loop they are currently working on the spiritual successor to Odin Sphere on the Wii.

EDIT - Of course this is not to say that there aren't some people who just didn't enjoy the game for what it was as well (same for Devil May Cry 4 and Windows Vista)

Reilly

Way better than Odin Sphere IMO. Perfect length. A little on the easy side if all you want to use is Dragons. No, no online multiplayer or anything, but whatever. The only thing I feel could have used a bit more tighten up is the unit/squad selector. No hot keys.

I picked this up for full price when it came out and like other posters got distracted from it and never finished :(

It's really fun and so beautiful but like Kirashi said once you get the top level unit your strategy can easily become get as many crystal farmers on the board as possible and then spam the top level units until all the enemy units are dead. I was still pretty early on
(it was either the main characters 2nd or 3rd groundhog day)
so maybe it requires better strategies later on in the game.

Reilly said:
Way better than Odin Sphere IMO. Perfect length. A little on the easy side if all you want to use is Dragons. No, no online multiplayer or anything, but whatever. The only thing I feel could have used a bit more tighten up is the unit/squad selector. No hot keys.

Having another requirement for summoning the high level units aside from just upgrading your gates would have helped too.

Reilly

Saint Gregory said:
Having another requirement for summoning the high level units aside from just upgrading your gates would have helped too.

Well, they are the slowest enemies in the game, I think (and you have to summon the Egg THEN hatch the Dragon). And they take FOREVER to attack. Probably would have made them cost more people units.

edit: oh you meant in general. I didn't think they were too bad overall. The biggest turd in the game is the goddamn black cats. Fuckers ruin every attack I try to do! >:-(

Ledsen

Saint Gregory said:
I picked this up for full price when it came out and like other posters got distracted from it and never finished :(

It's really fun and so beautiful but like Kirashi said once you get the top level unit your strategy can easily become get as many crystal farmers on the board as possible and then spam the top level units until all the enemy units are dead. I was still pretty early on
(it was either the main characters 2nd or 3rd groundhog day)
so maybe it requires better strategies later on in the game.

Personally I don't really have anything against that, since I really suck at RTS games. An easy way out is a good thing for me :D

Flying_Phoenix said:
A lot of people on gaming forums thought Odin Sphere was going to be something else when it came out thus resulting them being disappointed with it as well as playing it completely wrong. He was scared of getting flamed. Though it is praised critically and gets a lot of love from user scores as well as the core JRPG community. It's similar to Devil May Cry 4 or Windows Vista. The majority of people enjoy it but it's just a huge backlash from a much more vocal minority.

Yeah, OS gets a lot of hate on GAF, and I didn't want anyone to get dissuaded from trying GrimGrimoire just because I love OS :)

Ledsen said:
Yeah, OS gets a lot of hate on GAF, and I didn't want anyone to get dissuaded from trying GrimGrimoire just because I love OS :)

I've seriously have never seen a game just go completely over people's heads. I mean yeah I know some games get a lot of undeserved hate but at least people hated those games for what they were and how they played, not assumed it was something else and judge it on merits that the game was never suppose to be in the first place and completely miss it's strenghts as well as bashing the game's strongest point. It's reasons like this why 2D gaming never evolves because everytime something new or creative is introduced it gets shunned 9 out of 10 times. Yet yearly rehashes and run-of-the-mill additions get nothing but praise (won't list games).

Ledsen

Flying_Phoenix said:
I've seriously have never seen a game just go completely over people's heads. I mean yeah I know some games get a lot of undeserved hate but at least people hated those games for what they were and how they played, not assumed it was something else and judge it on merits that the game was never suppose to be in the first place and completely miss it's strenghts as well as bashing the game's strongest point. It's reasons like this why 2D gaming never evolves because everytime something new or creative is introduced it gets shunned 9 out of 10 times. Yet yearly rehashes and run-of-the-mill additions get nothing but praise (won't list games).

True, but it's arguably even worse for GrimGrimoire since hardly anyone even played it :p

Gaaraz

Ahh! Those damn black cats... the sort of unit that completely cripples your attacks, yet also the sort of unit that you can never really be bothered to use yourself!

I'm surprised this game isn't more popular in honesty, it's certainly very original and refreshing, even if the gameplay is a little slow paced at times, and the story can occasionally get a bit confusing - I did okay until the end of the second chapter, then... well, what the hell happened at the end there!?

Interesting to see quite a few people mentioning the dragons... I'm playing through on the easiest difficulty, I'm guessing there won't be an awful lot just to stop me from using them for the entirety of the game? They're just so ridiculously powerful, you can send them to the enemy base and know they'll do a good job of taking everyone out, especially if you have a few of the healing units and maybe a black cat backing them up too.

Ledsen

I finished the game a couple of months ago and overall I really enjoyed it. I'd say Chimeras are way better than dragons though. Sending a Chimera+Homonculus (for the reveal Astrals spell) around the map = total carnage. Have a dragon or two, some cats (essential for putting other dragons and chimeras to sleep) and some Homunculi defend your base. This tactic worked for me basically the whole game. It helped that it was very short because it got a bit repetitive towards the end. Most stages took me about 20 minutes to finish on Normal although some were longer, and at least one took me close to an hour. Why are you playing on easy btw? Normal wasn't really hard at all but it still required some tactics which made it fun.

Gaaraz

Ahh, thank you - I'll definitely give the Chimeras a look when I get them then! It's sad, but I haven't really experimented an awful lot since getting the dragons, so will start using the Homonculus too :) The cats are great yeah, and very irritating to play against!

Not sure why I'm playing on easy really, just don't enjoy challenges in games, and not really liking the gameplay that much on this anyway, so just want to see everything and enjoy the story!

Cheers again

Gaaraz

Currently right at the end of the fourth chapter, still enjoying it, although the story has been a little confusing on one or two occasions! :)

Are any of the bonus chapters worth doing by the way? If it helps, practically every chapter now I'm just Chimera rushing :p

duckroll

blizeH said:
Currently right at the end of the fourth chapter, still enjoying it, although the story has been a little confusing on one or two occasions! :)

Are any of the bonus chapters worth doing by the way? If it helps, practically every chapter now I'm just Chimera rushing :p

The free scenarios are definitely worth playing. Some of them differ quite a bit from the standard story mission designs. It feels like for the free scenarios they were playing around with a mission editor and decided to be creative when freed from the constrains of the story.

Gaaraz

Sounds good, thank you!

Any in particular that you'd recommend, or should I simply try the ones that sound interesting?

I do kinda enjoy the gameplay, although I mostly just rush through it as I said, to try and progress the story, so trying a couple of the extra bonus levels might be worthwhile.

Top Bottom