• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Five 'Witches' Burned Alive in Rwanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice cream

Banned
So yesterday I stumbled upon a site called Storm Front, really disgusting people... anyway while reading the news section, I saw this video:
VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO6XxW1-NRw - taken down

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=dae_1236854361

Pretty brtual..

another article:
1,000 'witches' arrested and drugged by 'witch doctors' in Gambia

18 Mar 2009

Up to 1,000 Gambian villagers were abducted by "witch doctors" and forced to drink hallucinogens, an international rights group said on Wednesday.

Amnesty International called on the government of President Yahya Jammeh, who seized power in a 1994 coup and has claimed he can cure Aids, to halt the campaign and bring those responsible to justice.

Police officers, soldiers and some of the president's personal security guards accompanied the "witch doctors" in the series of round-ups, witnesses said. In the most recent incident, which took place on March 9, paramilitary police armed with guns and shovels surrounded the village of Sintet before dawn.

Amnesty quoted a witness as saying that security forces vowed "that anyone who tries to escape will be buried six feet under." The prisoners were then taken to Mr Jammeh's farm in his native Kanilai, east of the capital.

At the farm, the victims were "forced to drink unknown substances that cause them to hallucinate and behave erratically," the rights group said in a statement.

"Many are then forced to confess to being a witch. In some cases, they are also severely beaten, almost to the point of death."

The mysterious liquid prompted serious kidney problems in many of those rounded up, and two people died after being subjected to the ordeal, Amnesty said.

Mr Jammeh has said that he believes witchcraft was behind his aunt's death earlier this year, and has been inviting "witch doctors" from nearby Guinea to combat witches, the London-based rights group said.

In 2007, Mr Jammeh declared he had discovered a cure for Aids and began treating patients inside the presidential palace, using herbs and incantations. His dictatorial regime has cracked down harshly on critics, especially the press.

On March 8, authorities arrested Halifa Sallah, who has written about the "witch doctors" for the main opposition newspaper, Foroyya. The former presidential candidate has since been charged with sedition and spying, Amnesty said.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...d-and-drugged-by-witch-doctors-in-Gambia.html

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Moderation accident caused the first thread to be deleted.

Edit: Yes, viewer discretion is seriously advised, but I think it's important that this sort of video is out there rather than censored, because it puts all the jokes people would otherwise tend to make into perspective. Horrible stuff.

Edit #2: Spare us the jokes. Least appropriate time ever.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What the shit?

I was ready to make an Uroboros reference but that video is terrible.

Zozz

Banned
It sucks to watch, but this is a reminder that shit like this still occurs and a view into how these false accusations of witchery through out history has killed innocent people. I sort of shocked in myself how I didn't react the slightest to this, I find ignorance like this just pisses me off more than make me sick.

Dead Man

EviLore said:
Edit: Yes, viewer discretion is seriously advised, but I think it's important that this sort of video is out there rather than censored, because it puts all the jokes people would otherwise tend to make into perspective. Horrible stuff.
I agree these sorts of things need to be documented, but I don't know if Youtube is the right forum for images like these. Especially when one of the related videos is about 'hot chicks'.

neight

Banned
Anerythristic said:
They can put stuff like that on youtube? I don't know what to say...
It's a recent upload it'll be down soon.

And no I didn't report it I may not like that shit on YouTube but I'm also not a tattle tell.

ice cream

Banned
FunkyMunkey said:
A reason why I support first world occupation in barbaric lands.

Disgusting and absolutely pathetic.
A lot of African countries were affected by European imperialism. Their lack of independence stifled their growth. Proof that this is a problem of Imperialism.

Zozz

Banned
ice cream said:
A lot of African countries were affected by European imperialism. Their lack of independence stifled their growth. Proof that this is a problem of Imperialism.

ice cream said:

You don't believe the pros outweigh the cons?

More education = Less of this shit.

Big-E

Ok I decided to watch all of it and wow. Those fuckers beating them down with sticks to and kicking them when they would get up. Horrific. Shows just how fucked up some places are and what people can be led to believe.

Oh my god.

Sometimes I think I've lost all empathy and that the internet has completely desensitized me. But then I see stuff like that, and have this unfamiliar terrible physical and emotional feeling...

My god, that video.

MrFingers

FunkyMunkey said:
You don't believe the pros outweigh the cons?

More education = Less of this shit.

I agree with you, but maybe as per RiskvReward's suggestion,using the internet or some other means of education?

LaneDS

I really don't know if it's a good thing or not that this video is available for all to see. Ultimately, it probably is, but there's a lot of people (kids mostly) that shouldn't be able to type in "witches" into YouTube and potentially see this stuff. Also, the hateful motherfuckers making awful comments on the video probably shouldn't have access to the video, the internet, or potentially oxygen (I can be a hateful motherfucker too, see?).

Awful.

xbhaskarx

ice cream said:

That makes no sense. How the hell is that "proof"??
The ENTIRE non- European world aside from a very small handful of countries (like Siam/Thailand) was colonized, and EVERY country in the developing world was affected by European imperialism.
So are "witches" burned alive at a similar rate all over the non-western world?

edbrat

I'm torn between thinking people should be able to see that video so they know exactly how bad things are getting over there and just wanting to forget it even exists. Completely, irredeemably horrible.

ice cream said:

you can't keep using that excuse when a lot of these countries have been indepedent for many decades now.

Blablurn

wtf, i watched the video for about 2 seconds until i closed the tab. holy shit . what a crazy world. we're talking about video games and stuff and they are burning so called "witches".

LaneDS said:
I really don't know if it's a good thing or not that this video is available for all to see. Ultimately, it probably is, but there's a lot of people (kids mostly) that shouldn't be able to type in "witches" into YouTube and potentially see this stuff. Also, the hateful motherfuckers making awful comments on the video probably shouldn't have access to the video, the internet, or potentially oxygen (I can be a hateful motherfucker too, see?).

Awful.
It's definitely a good thing that a video like this is out there. I understand your comments about the kids, and I agree, but without a video this news would be ignored or quickly read by the majority without any consideration. I know I'd be guilty of the "yeah, there's bad stuff happening in Africa" thought and just go on to the next thread/news article.

This vid ruined my mood and night. It makes me wonder how many times such monstrosities must occur there without anyone outside of the village/area ever knowing it. :(

Zozz

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
you can't keep using that excuse when a lot of these countries have been independent for many decades now.
We can name dozens and dozens of ways the other world has fucked over Africa. But we can definitely put this as a beginning cause. Overall, the rest of the world has just blocked out and ignored Africa, it's completely alone in it's own mess.

ice cream said:

What the fuck has burning witches to do with imperialism? If anything it shows that some african countrys would work better if they were still colonys as sad as this sounds.

Zozz said:
We can name dozens and dozens of ways the other world has fucked over Africa. But we can definitely put this as a beginning cause. Overall, the rest of the world has just blocked out and ignored Africa, it's completely alone in it's own mess.
And when there's money to be made, we're there in a sec, collaborating with corrupt governments and exploiting the natural resources and people of Africa.

Edit: but yes, that's kind of an off-topic discussion and "blame game".

My God. I don't want to believe I'm living in a world where something like this can still happen. This is the stuff of nightmare. What kind of justice do those animals have to face?
The comments underneath the video match the bigotry in that video.

Brannon

So every month or so I spend a buck or two on a lottery ticket and get slightly annoyed that I didn't win the big prize, or that I only won $20. Then I see stuff like this.

It's stuff like this that makes me glad I'm sitting here, eating a sandwich, instead of being born there, or in North Korea, or several hundred years earlier. To be born in a place and position of utter hopelessness and that's all you'll ever know until you're burned and tortured to death?

Anyone that can make it through that and get out is a stronger person than I am.

Zozz said:

Horrible things like this have always happened as a civilization develops. The difference is that hundreds of years ago, there were no other standards for us to base what would be proper behavior on.

Now, when we see things like this, and can compare them to how people should be treated, and we should do something to stop it.

If all the countries were on the same level and burning witches today, it would be a norm. But they aren't. And as fellow human beings with access to higher knowledge and truth, it's our responsibility to save them, instead of waiting a thousand years for them to naturally realize their mistakes.

All IMO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom