• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE Announces PHYREENGINE 2.40(PS3) with new games

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
San Francisco, March 23, 2009 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today that PhyreEngine™ 2.40, the latest version of the popular games development framework, has been released to PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3®) game developers and publishers, capping a successful year since its initial announcement at GDC 2008.

PhyreEngine is a graphics rendering engine provided under a license that allows it to be used by any PS3 game developers and publishers as well as Tools & Middleware licensees in their products. The engine uses sophisticated parallel processing techniques that are optimized for the Synergistic Processor Unit (SPU) of the Cell Broadband Engine™ of the PS3, but can be easily ported to other multi-core architectures. As a result, PhyreEngine has been newly-adopted by dozens of game studios in the last year, now appearing each month on the PlayStation®Store or on Blu-ray Discs.

Some of the more recent developers and publishers to adopt PhyreEngine include (in alphabetical order):

* Australian developer Big Ant Studios. Ross Symons, their CEO added “PhyreEngine has cut down Big Ant’s development time significantly while allowing us to fully harness the power of the PS3. PhyreEngine has given us the opportunity to focus less on tech and more on creating good games.”

* Veteran Ukrainian studio Boolat Games, who will self-publish their platform/puzzle game topatoi on PlayStation Store soon.

* UK-based studio Doublesix Games, whose game Burn Zombie Burn will be released in Europe and North America later this month. Jonathan Hobson, Lead Programmer, commented that “PhyreEngine allowed Doublesix Games to begin development of our first game Burn Zombie Burn immediately and rapidly, without initial financial outlay or dedicated tech development time. It is a neat blend of clever, high-performance code that the SCE tech teams are famous for, with a modern, well designed, and easy to use set of interfaces and tools. In a matter of weeks we had hundreds of animated zombies running around at a fairly solid frame rate. The extensive set of sample code meant that we always had an idea of how to do things and on the rare occasions that we didn’t, the PhyreEngine support team was fantastic.”

* Bristol, UK-based studio FluffyLogic, whose PlayStation®Network title Savage Moon was released in December 2008 in European regions and January 2009 in North America. Will Bolam, FluffyLogic’s Director of Technology noted that “PhyreEngine was a great solution for FluffyLogic during work on our first PS3 title Savage Moon - loads of useful components we could use straight away to get the game up and running, easily extensible during development of game-specific code and great support from the PhyreEngine team.”

* Tokyo-based studio Game Republic recently released Catan using PhyreEngine in Japan.

* Famous Japanese studio IREM published PachiPara DL (DownLoad) Hyper Sea Story In Karibu in July 2008 in Japan.

* Bulgarian studio Ivent Games, who are developing the third-person action game Strength of the Sword. Georgi Rakidov, Lead Programmer, commented “I see PhyreEngine as a complete game engine suitable for all types of games. The support is just outstanding, with a nice balance between improving old features and adding new ones – most recently the terrain and the foliage utilities.”

* New French studio Lexis Numérique whose PS3 title Brooklyn Stories (working title) is currently in development.

* New Portuguese studio Seed Studios, whose real-time strategy game Under Siege will be released later this year. Lead designer, Bruno Ribeiro, noted “PhyreEngine enabled us to rapidly prototype our game and provided a solid and efficient foundation to explore the potential of the PS3.”

* New Paris, France-based studio Spiders working on their as-yet-unsigned RPG/Action disc-based game Mars.

* US studio thatgamecompany, who released Flower in North America and Europe in February 2009. Their lead programmer, John Edwards commented, “Flower is thatgamecompany’s second game using PhyreEngine and it won’t be the last. Support is friendly and responsive and the code is mature to the point where you just download, build and go. PhyreEngine’s suit of PS3-optimized utilities lets us spend less time reinventing the wheel and more time making games.”

* VectorCell, Paul Cuisset’s new studio, whose PS3 title The 7th Seal (working title) is currently in development.

During the last year, a range of new fully functional “game templates” were released, including support for Havok Complete XS™, NVIDIA PhysX™ and Bullet for physics, making it even easier for game teams to kick-start their development process. In addition, a host of white papers have been made available describing the techniques used within PhyreEngine, helping a broader community of game developers to improve and extend the features of their proprietary game engine code.

http://*************************/20...nt-announces-the-release-of-phyreengine™-240/

WinFonda

~Devil Trigger~ said:
* Bulgarian studio Ivent Games, who are developing the third-person action game Strength of the Sword.

* New French studio Lexis Numérique whose PS3 title Brooklyn Stories (working title) is currently in development.

* New Paris, France-based studio Spiders working on their as-yet-unsigned RPG/Action disc-based game Mars.

* VectorCell, Paul Cuisset’s new studio, whose PS3 title The 7th Seal (working title) is currently in development.

Woo! Hidden game announcements.

thaOwner

WinFonda said:
Woo! Hidden game announcements.

This one has been announced though

s15hdc.jpg

Uncle said:
Poor hygiene?
I think its pronounced "Fi-ya Engine" 2.40

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Neo-Sheperd said:

This one has been announced though

s15hdc.jpg

I think its pronounced "Fi-ya Engine" 2.40

link suggest that the game might be for XBLA too

Goldrusher

The titles in the PR:

released

FluffyLogic
- Savage Moon (PSN) (released)

Game Republic
- Catan (PSN) (released)

IREM
- PachiPara DL Hyper Sea Story In Karibu (PSN) (released)

thatgamecompany
- Flower (PSN) (released)

Doublesix Games
- Burn Zombie Burn (PSN) (March 26)

unreleased known

2motj5c.jpg

Boolat Games
- topatoi (PSN) (platform/puzzle game)

15gaww4.jpg

Lexis Numérique
- Brooklyn Stories (???) (by Eric Viennot & Paul Cuisset)

2uzqwx3.jpg

Seed Studios
- Under Siege (PSN) (RTS)

s15hdc.jpg

Spiders
- Mars (Blu-ray) (RPG/Action)

unreleased unknown

Big Ant Studios
- ???

Ivent Games
- Strength of the Sword (???) (third-person action)

VectorCell
- The 7th Seal (???) (by Paul Cuisset)

thaOwner

~Devil Trigger~ said:
link suggest that the game might be for XBLA too
Why bother releasing this on BD when it can fit on XBLA or are there disc based XBLA games that I dont know about ?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
captscience said:
That looks amazing.
Not what I would expect from the developers of Imagine Fashion Designer and Horsez.

That's because it's from the In Memoriam and Experience 112 side.

Busty

Banned
I wonder how many of these games are true first or second (I know, I know) party SCE projects?

Interesting all the same. Anything that can get smaller or start up development studios or even just small teams working on the HD platforms is a win in my book. :D

element

PhyreEngine is a little misleading. It is more of a core system, then a full featured engine (UE3, CryEngine, Gamebryo). It is far closer to XNA Game Studio 3.0 then the other engines I listed.

Kinan

About topatoi from boolat games:

Topatoi is a mixture of puzzle and platformer game with original and inventive gameplay mechanics. Original, but pretty much in the old school traditions of the games like The Lost Vikings or Bubba 'N Stix. Apart from immersive gameplay you should expect:

Multiple worlds/environments. The environments not only look different, but also have some treats that affect gameplay.
Various types of puzzles. Arcade game mode brings you various interesting puzzles, solving them you’ll have a lovely time.
Breathtaking physics model. As you see, Topatoi is mostly about physics, so this part is certainly well-crafted to provide truly unique experience.
Multiplayer modes. Currently, split screen multiplayer mode is available, so you can enjoy the game with your friends. Further updates will also bring several internet multiplayer modes.

14mfmoh.jpg

2motj5c.jpg

Official site:

http://topatoi.boolat.com

Teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwu8pPMzhFc

HD version:

http://topatoi.boolat.com/topatoi promo 720p.avi

RavenFox

Banned
Core407 said:
I hope they take a relatively realistic approach to the whole thing.

Edit: after checking out the pics, I take my comment back. This game looks bland as shit and really ruined a good setting.
Are you part of the broken record group or something? I mean lets not use logic and think the game is so far from finished I'll give it some time?

Under Siege has me interested. I like how it removes resource gathering and having to build a army and just focuses and attacking and defending with whatever number of soldiers you have from the get go. That's what I liked about Kingdom Under Fire although that was a much different type of strategy game then this one.

EXGN

Core407 said:
I hope they take a relatively realistic approach to the whole thing.

Edit: after checking out the pics, I take my comment back. This game looks bland as shit and really ruined a good setting.

The game is still really early in production, they don't even have a publisher yet. I hink Prince of Persia 2008 is one of the most stunning looking games this gen, but lets not forget what it looked like back when Surfer Girl first showed it:

popzeroone.jpg

Top Bottom