• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2009: Assignment Thread 65 - Still Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRS

Theme: Still Life

Submissions are due by Sunday, May 3, 2009 at 23:59 PST.

Voting begins Monday, May 4 and ends on Tuesday, May 5 at 23:59 PST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Weird. I was just thinking of Still Life photography while taking a pee yesterday.

Don't ask.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Tf53 said:
I'm sure AlternativeUlster will love all the entries.

It's been pretty clear in previous threads that GAF's photographers don't like hearing criticism from non-participants, but I've wondered myself why, when there are certainly any number of you that are technically-skilled and proficient, so many of the assignments are like sleeping through a beginners class. Speaking simply as a viewer of the photos, I can tell you guys are often very creative, so why not try to come up with some themes that can push that aspect? Just a thought. *shrug*

Cosmic Bus said:
It's been pretty clear in previous threads that GAF's photographers don't like hearing criticism from non-participants...
I disagree with that, over the course of these assignment threads and in the quarterly threads, there's been plenty of criticism from non-participants that's been accepted just fine. Note that there is a difference between "criticism" and "shitting over everyone's efforts because you're a douchebag."

fart

Savant
Cosmic Bus said:
It's been pretty clear in previous threads that GAF's photographers don't like hearing criticism from non-participants, but I've wondered myself why, when there are certainly any number of you that are technically-skilled and proficient, so many of the assignments are like sleeping through a beginners class. Speaking simply as a viewer of the photos, I can tell you guys are often very creative, so why not try to come up with some themes that can push that aspect? Just a thought. *shrug*
ignorant, insensitive man-children who can't take criticism??? this is insanity!!

NO, THIS IS GAF.

mrkgoo

Cosmic Bus said:

Pretty clear? When has it been pretty clear?

I think the so-called 'boring' themes are equally valid - That is the whole point to the assignment, to make it interesting. I had an idea for a theme of 'paper cup' once, just to see what people would do. It's actually inspires MORE creativity. Boring shots come from boring photos, NOT from boring themes. Ask any great photographer if they ever complained about their own photos due to the 'assignment'. A good photographer doesn't 'take' a photo - they 'make' it.

Shots can seem pedestrian sometimes due to the nature of a schedule, as explained in prior threads.

But I do take offence at being labelled "unable to take criticism from non-participants". It's actually encouraged. The incident with AlternativeUser was an exception, as he simply didn't like what people were taking - he had an idea of what he wanted and anything else was nearly treated as garbage (ok, maybe not that harsh, but close).

mrkgoo said:
Pretty clear? When has it been pretty clear?

I think the so-called 'boring' themes are equally valid - That is the whole point to the assignment, to make it interesting. I had an idea for a theme of 'paper cup' once, just to see what people would do. It's actually inspires MORE creativity. Boring shots come from boring photos, NOT from boring themes. Ask any great photographer if they ever complained about their own photos due to the 'assignment'. A good photographer doesn't 'take' a photo - they 'make' it.

Shots can seem pedestrian sometimes due to the nature of a schedule, as explained in prior threads.

But I do take offence at being labelled "unable to take criticism from non-participants". It's actually encouraged. The incident with AlternativeUser was an exception, as he simply didn't like what people were taking - he had an idea of what he wanted and anything else was nearly treated as garbage (ok, maybe not that harsh, but close).

More than that, unlike the rest of GAF, I count the photography threads as being in the same "no go" zone as the" Show off your GF/Wife/Significant Other" thread where everyone maintains a positive, healthy respect for each other and abstains from the usual GAF nastiness. AlternativeUlster made it abundantly clear that he values his opinion more highly than the ideals of these threads, so I'm not likely to ever contribute again. There are plenty of other photographic communities to go to.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ScientificNinja said:
More than that, unlike the rest of GAF, I count the photography threads as being in the same "no go" zone as the" Show off your GF/Wife/Significant Other" thread where everyone maintains a positive, healthy respect for each other and abstains from the usual GAF nastiness. AlternativeUlster made it abundantly clear that he values his opinion more highly than the ideals of these threads, so I'm not likely to ever contribute again. There are plenty of other photographic communities to go to.

??

so most of the time people provide constructive criticism, but when one person comes in and upsets people, *you* decide to not participate anymore?

Isn't that a bit silly? This/these threads have a great community feeling IMO, and even when I don't enter (which is most of the time) I enjoy reading them and voting.

Max@GC

@Cosmic Bus stop generalizing man.

@ScientificNinja and yeah what´s the point of being all whiny just because of one person who expressed his opinion a bit too extreme? Get over it man cuz I suppose you´re not 12 anymore.

mrklaw said:
??

so most of the time people provide constructive criticism, but when one person comes in and upsets people, *you* decide to not participate anymore?

Isn't that a bit silly? This/these threads have a great community feeling IMO, and even when I don't enter (which is most of the time) I enjoy reading them and voting.

From where I sit, most everyone here at GAF have shared experiences and views through our common liking for video games, but it'd be sillier for me to let that be the reason to hang on to these threads when there are other photography forums/clubs equal to, if not better than GAF's. I only come to GAF for amusement, not to waste time on philosophical debates about destructive criticism. From what I remember, most people here didn't like the destructive criticism, but were happy to humor him. Sorry, that's just not good enough for me.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So your constructive criticism is GAF sucks and it's silly to care about the Photography related threads/community here?

SnakeXs said:
So your constructive criticism is GAF sucks and it's silly to care about the Photography related threads/community here?

I'm not offering constructive criticism; in fact I think it'd be silly to try and rationalize why I like one aspect of the forum and not another. I'm simply voting with my wallet, as it were.

sneaky77

I am not sure what happened that cause this kind of drama, I just gotta say I really enjoy the photography threads around here, and they helped me make the jump into getting a real camera after being in the fence for a long while.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Idunno guys, wasnt it Scientificninja's photo that AlternativeUlster said he showed to friends and that they all laughed at it?
I can see where scientificninja is coming from if thats the case.

I liked SN’s muppet picture with the clay babies that AU was busting on, I thought it was in the same whimsical spirit as the pipe-cleaner people I did for “Rescued”. We’ve also had people post pictures of action figures and mecha. You can make great art with a camera, and you can have goofy fun with a camera; there should be room for both and all points in between. I think these threads should always be open to whatever direction the photographer wants to take it.

Scientific Ninja, I understand your being pissed, especially considering you were sharing a bit of your personal life in the photo (the clay babies were from your wife’s baby shower, I recall). I’d just hope you would reconsider blowing off all of the good people here and the sense of community in PhotoGAF because of one person’s ill-advised comments. Oh, and congrats on the new baby!

youta

Rationale: I find it a bit ironic that "still life" usually involves images which show stillness, but lack life. If anything, photography grants us the power use that "still" as a verb, and capture a moment of life, in this case an instant of beauty and poise.

Then again, perhaps I just like hot chicks. At least it's better than what's been going on in this thread so far :)

Maybe NSFW, just linking because I don't want to further derail this thread (btw, lighten up guys, go take some photos!)

Still Life

Cyan

Banned
ScientificNinja said:
More than that, unlike the rest of GAF, I count the photography threads as being in the same "no go" zone as the" Show off your GF/Wife/Significant Other" thread where everyone maintains a positive, healthy respect for each other and abstains from the usual GAF nastiness.
Ok, I can understand that. Although this is the internet, and you can't really expect everyone to follow that if its an unwritten rule. I don't see anything about it in the OP or the FAQ.

AlternativeUlster made it abundantly clear that he values his opinion more highly than the ideals of these threads, so I'm not likely to ever contribute again.
Seriously? Based on one person going overboard and insulting everyone, you're just giving up? One person who I'll note has not shown up again in these threads.

Yeah... that'll really show him.

aidan

xBerserker said:
I'm going camping this weekend. Can you extend the deadline to Sunday night?

I'd support this. I think Sunday deadlines are usually the most successful.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
^+1

and +1^100 for youtas still life... dont know how to top a half naked hot chick :(

besides i got a surgery on my right shoulder so holding a camera is pain in the arse right now...but ill try something with a tripod

Futureman

sankt-Antonio said:
and +1^100 for youtas still life... dont know how to top a half naked hot chick :(

Not to be an ass and fuel the argument fire in here, but how is youtas photo a still life? I understand you are supposed to interpret the theme as you see fit, but I don't get taking a portrait of someone and calling it a still life?

Futureman said:
Not to be an ass and fuel the argument fire in here, but how is youtas photo a still life? I understand you are supposed to interpret the theme as you see fit, but I don't get taking a portrait of someone and calling it a still life?
It's not. As you touched on, it's youta's interpretation of the theme so as to "still" (as in, "freeze") life rather than the traditional interpretation.

sneaky77

Squirrel Killer said:
It's not. As you touched on, it's youta's interpretation of the theme so as to "still" (as in, "freeze") life rather than the traditional interpretation.

what would be a traditional interpretation? Sorry I realize is a bit of an ignorant question but just wondering

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
sneaky77 said:
what would be a traditional interpretation? Sorry I realize is a bit of an ignorant question but just wondering
From wikipedia:

Still life photography is the depiction of inanimate subject matter, most typically a small grouping of objects that are either human-made or "natural." Still life photography, more so than other types of photography, such as landscape or portraiture, gives the photographer more leeway in the arrangement of design elements within a composition.

sankt-Antonio

^
well here is my artsy-fartsy
understanding of "modern" still-lifes:
(whatever that means)

3483116071_27fdc2406d_o.jpg

the idea was to show a weirdo with a gasmask
praying to the technica-god ...

and the ipod being some kind of golden lamb
because in still lifes (in my mind)
things where shown witch
where important or meaningfull for people
or expensive ... whatever...

hey iam on painkillers
all week :p

sankt-Antonio

Futureman said:

IT`s A NAKED CHICK! GODDAMN IT! :p

i think that everything somebody arranged could be called a still life...

edit: and it should not move... well parts of it shouldnt! :p

edit2: how do you call the "amen" move?

edit3: how do you guys calibrate your monitor? its hard as hell to alt a dark/black picture on a tft/lcd screen... i hope the "black drapery" is visible on other screens, is it?

youta

sankt-Antonio said:
edit3: how do you guys calibrate your monitor? its hard as hell to alt a dark/black picture on a tft/lcd screen... i hope the "black drapery" is visible on other screens, is it?

Under Linux I use Monica. However, I haven't had much success with my laptop LCD (which, of course, also depends enormously on the viewing angle), let alone obtaining any sort of consistency with my CRT. And who knows what other people are doing. Personally I just work on my LCD and hope for the best...

Cyan

Banned
It's definitely an unusual interpretation, but I like his explanation of it. Anyway, as it says in the OP, you don't have to accept that explanation:
The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.
Cool pic, though.

mrkgoo

Squirrel Killer said:
Reminds me of last weekend when my daughter and a friend found a dead rabbit in our backyard. I about laughed out loud hearing this exchange through the screen door:

Friend: It's a dead rabbit!
Daughter: It's not dead! His eyes are open!

I didn't do it! I was wondering if you had been in my neighbourhood is all.

aidan

A more traditional take on the theme:

3489344143_a3960f5067.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure: 0.02 sec (1/50)
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 50 mm
Exposure: +1.15
ISO Speed: 400

Timbuktu

3490207336_ce7c06da73.jpg

Camera: Nikon D90
Exposure: 0.1 sec (1/10)
Aperture: f/9.0
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No Flash

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
wanted to shoot some miniatures against a backdrop from a magazine or a landscape but it didn't work out. I want to do a traditional still life but I probably won't have time before the deadline.

3490332656_f774415a08_o.jpg

Tf53

Timbuktu said:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3389/3490207336_ce7c06da73_b.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Could you resize your image, please?

"-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge."

sneaky77

I understand this is not what most people understand by this theme and I am pretty new at this anyway but since it was an exercise in patience to get this shot I just wanted to post it

3490523124_767aefd0f4.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
3493287018_b7c0a00dbc_o.jpg

tried to do something interesting with the theme. rather then completely still i wanted to capture the rain with a touch of motion, and this dying rose branch fit in nicely with the "life" aspect.

RSZ_6156ps.jpg

Canon 20D, 85mm f/1.2L, ISO 100, 1/100, f/1.2

This was one of the more enjoyable assignments. I'm referring, of course, to eating/drinking the subject during editing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom