• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Mobius 1

Would a baseline mini with 8GB of RAM be OK for Illustrator and dev work?

Looking for a cheap 'in' to iOS development. Was thinking about a entry level iMac, but not sure I like the display setup and it doesn't seem like it would be a powerhouse for gaming either (the only other potential usecase for me)...

edit - going by the CS6 requirements, I think it would be OK - but the 8GB upgrade is a must, to get the necessary 512MB of VRAM for the Intel 3000.

It would be more than fine.

Magnus

Optimizations for older hardware is the last thing I would expect to see in Mountain Lion. Best case it will run the same as Lion.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=463356

Take a look in here. I'm sure I've seen a few comments from people who have the dev preview saying it does seem to run a bit snappier than Lion.

Wait for Mountain Lion. I had the same issue you did with Lion, and Mountain Lion - I'm on the 3rd dev preview - does bring things back to just about Snow Leopard levels, if not completely. Lion never got there.

Progressively happier as I read each of these in order, haha. Awesome. I shall wait.

I love Snow Leopard way too much.

I force quit an application about an hour ago (COMSOL Multiphysics),
now it wont start at all...
if I click the application, the Icon jumps up and down for a while and then just stops without having opened (ie no blue glow under the icon in the doc)
it is however still visible under activity monitor...

any Ideas what I could do to force restart it?

noah111

Still Alive
Force quit it under activity monitor? If it doesn't start working you're going to just have to reboot.. or log out/log back in.

double posted from the firefox thread: wondering if you guys can give me a hand. i'm using firefox 12 on osx lion and hate the way it fullscreens. i'm now using maximizer alongside bettertouchtools but have come across a problem, the fullscreen shortcut uses the old, native firefox style of fullscreening, which is shit and not the awesome lion-style maximizer fullscreen. anybody know of a way to make a bettertouchtools shortcut that uses maximizer and not firefox' native fullscreen thing?

Blackhead

Redarse
Nanny Computing" and the future of OS X

Erica Sadun said:
As I write this, I just got off the phone with a colleague. He just now is realizing that [as far as the Mac App Store is concerned –Ed.] Apple may be end-of-life-ing all those great little hotkey shortcuts that used to let us bring an app to the forefront and do something.

Apps use hotkeys to let you jump to what you want to do while you work on what you must do. Apps can set a system-wide hotkey to trigger an action or event, even when the app itself is not foremost (or is resident in the menu bar). They're on the way out of the Mac App Store as Apple paves the path to safer, more consumer-oriented computing.

Apparently, Apple will allow hotkey apps that are already in the Mac App Store before June to offer only bug fixes after that. New sandboxed apps and any apps that add features (i.e. non-bugfix releases) will not be allowed to support hotkeys.

TUAW has been told that Apple will be rejecting all MAS apps with hotkey functionality starting June 1, regardless of whether the new features are hotkey related or not. Basically, if you're developing one of those apps, an app that assumes you can still add hotkeys, don't bother submitting it to the Mac App Store. [Note that as far as we know this only means systemwide hotkeys, not isolated-to-your-app keyboard commands -- the latter would obviously kneecap OS X and the Mac App Store rather dramatically. –Ed.]

It's not just press-to-switch apps that are feeling the pressure of the future. Many cross-app scripting utilities and macro programs already can't step foot in the App Store and will have to fight for a space on your computer under Mountain Lion's GateKeeper. The Quickeys macro program I've depended on for decades is still limping along for the moment in its creaky 4.0 build, but I don't expect it to last more than a year or so.

OS X 10.9 or OS Xi, whichever comes after Mountain Lion, isn't about to let an app completely redefine the user keyboard. Those macros that let me use Emacs keys regardless of app, and that let me launch all my most-used apps with one combination...I know they're next to die.

I've seen the future and it is iOS. Apple is moving solidly and confidently towards consumer computing and away from mollycoddling the power users. The company knows where its profits come from and power users ain't it. The iPad -- with its simple interface, strong security, and dependability -- has set the standard for what's next.

For all the moments when I want to rage against the coming of the Nanny OS, I know it's on its way. I've lived in iOS now for 5 years. I've played in the sandbox, I've grown to know the sandbox, I've come to accept the sandbox.

I'm not super thrilled by it, but you can't deny the reality. While there's no indication Apple intends to prevent the sale of apps with [systemwide] hotkey functionality outside the App Store, it is clear Apple is working to simplify the user experience within the Mac App Store, and that means "power user" utilities are at risk.

Goodbye hotkeys, macro programs, end-user customization, and all the detritus of operating systems that were full of holes to crawl into and dumpsters wherein to dive. The new, clean way of computing is on its way. It may be a lot less fun but it's gonna sell a hell of a lot of Macs.

Alfred would be crippled by this move. It's one of the most popular apps in the Mac AppStore and has been featured prominently there Noteworthy and Staff Favorites categories among others. Why would Apple take this step?

LCfiner

Nanny Computing" and the future of OS X

Alfred would be crippled by this move. It's one of the most popular apps in the Mac AppStore and has been featured prominently there Noteworthy and Staff Favorites categories among others. Why would Apple take this step?

Absolutely. My MAS license of Omnifocus would also be hobbled. Not happy about this move. I’d have to move over to a omnigroup license and dump the MAS version of any system utility.

I don’t think the security gains justify the removal of such useful app features. I wonder if Apple will rethink this move as being too heavy handed.

edit: Oh jeeze. as soon as I reply, I see giga comes in and says it’s not happening, lol. well good to know!

btkadams

does anyone know why my magic mouse has never worked in lion? (scrolling)

it is just recognized as a regular mouse, rather than a magic mouse, so there is no check-box for scrolling in the mouse settings. i don't have any trackpad/mouse apps other than bettertouchtool and nothing inside the app is disabling it. i mean, even if it were, the computer would still recognize my mouse as a magic mouse right??

i've even tried this:

Copy and Paste the following script into terminal and you will have your Library folder back where it was in Leopard.
chflags nohidden /users/**username**/library

2. Find the now visible Library folder in your user folder - go to the Preferences folder.

3. Rename com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist or delete it. Then restart you computer.
-------------------------------------

nothing seems to work. any ideas??

Ambitious

does anyone know why my magic mouse has never worked in lion? (scrolling)

it is just recognized as a regular mouse, rather than a magic mouse, so there is no check-box for scrolling in the mouse settings. i don't have any trackpad/mouse apps other than bettertouchtool and nothing inside the app is disabling it. i mean, even if it were, the computer would still recognize my mouse as a magic mouse right??

i've even tried this:

Copy and Paste the following script into terminal and you will have your Library folder back where it was in Leopard.
chflags nohidden /users/**username**/library

2. Find the now visible Library folder in your user folder - go to the Preferences folder.

3. Rename com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist or delete it. Then restart you computer.
-------------------------------------

nothing seems to work. any ideas??

You say you have no other mouse tool installed, but as it isn't limited to mice: May you have USB Overdrive installed? According to some Google results, uninstalling it should solve that problem.

btkadams

You say you have no other mouse tool installed, but as it isn't limited to mice: May you have USB Overdrive installed? According to some Google results, uninstalling it should solve that problem.
nope! i also don't have usb overdrive installed. [downloaded an uninstaller just to be sure]

btkadams

I had the same problem with the mighty mouse. Had to uninstall the magic mouse and somehow it started working automatically. idk how it worked.

do you mean just remove the mouse and then re-pair it through the mouse/bluetooth settings? i've done that a million times ha. i guess i'm screwed!

YO

WTF

How do I make my Macbook go to sleep when I shut the lid with an external monitor?!

This is madness...I'm too tired to be fucking around witht his Apple

KtSlime

YO

WTF

How do I make my Macbook go to sleep when I shut the lid with an external monitor?!

This is madness...I'm too tired to be fucking around witht his Apple

Put it to sleep, then close the lid. It used to be the other way around but there were a lot of people bitching that the computer would go to sleep when they closed the lid. Damned if you do and damned if you don't right?

Put it to sleep, then close the lid. It used to be the other way around but there were a lot of people bitching that the computer would go to sleep when they closed the lid. Damned if you do and damned if you don't right?

Or damned if they give us a damn option!

Windows it's simple. Go to Power Settings and select "What to do when I close lid on batter, or AC"

Sometimes man..I just get pissed off at Apple shit. Like twice already I've tried to open my MBP from sleep and its just a black screen. Everything seems on, but I get nothing

I still get the persistant WiFi drops, and it doesn't turn on after sleeping. Then general slowness even with 8GB of RAM and Safari..well Safari is a beachball funland. I might switch to chrome, but really don't like the UI

I sometimes find myself wishing to go back to Leopard or even Snow Leopard which was a lot more stable for me on my late 2008. I don't think I'm enjoying most of the Lion features to miss it. I hope Snow Lion or whatever it's called will resolve underlying issues and general wide spread reported problems, and just not be more features to get the OS inline with iOS

Slowly getting frustrated

/rant

Thanks Giga, but it's the wrong thing. Basically if I don't use an external display I can just shut the lid and the laptop will sleep. With an external display the whole laptop stays on, there is no option to change. You have to sleep it first.

giga

Thanks Giga, but it's the wrong thing. Basically if I don't use an external display I can just shut the lid and the laptop will sleep. With an external display the whole laptop stays on, there is no option to change. You have to sleep it first.
…that's what that setting does. If you have the lid open and are connected to a secondary display, closing it will sleep the computer.

So my keyboard started going wonky a bit earlier. First it was my trackpad zooming in and out while 2 finger scrolling. I decide to reboot it and on the start up screen I realize my number keys aren't working. The Mac recognizes them (it plays the "Womp" sound) but nothing goes in the cursor. My enter key also looks like it inputs a key rather than actually entering

I did clean the keyboard with a slightly moist magic eraser. Am I fucked? Right now the computer is closed

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I once tried cleaning my iMac keyboard (the old chunky key one) and after put all the keys back I found the buttons in the top left hand corner weren't working. I too used a bit of moisture to clean between the keys. I just took it to the genius bar and got it replaced since it was within my extended warranty period. Unfortunately that seems to be the solution. If I ever get confident to do it again I'm sticking to a dry cloth.

So I went to get it looked at... And it seems like the option key is causing the control key to be "held" and stuck. 250$ for one key...

What I'm wondering is if I can buy an older top case (say a 09 instead of a 10 like mine) and replace it with that?

Tattooth

I have been trying to fix this issue all day but nothing is working. My Dock is using up over 100% of the cpu. Apparently this is a Parallels application issue, but I have done all of the workaround ands uninstalled and reinstalled the program quite a few times now. Right now I do not have Parallells installed yet the dock is using 90% cpu, I have reset all kinds of PRAMs and permission, but still nothing. Any advice?

Is anyone having trouble with flash in safari recently? It's only been the last couple of days my computer freaks out when I watch youtube or anything similar. If I use another browser it works fine, it's only in safari.

How the hell can I hardcode subs into an mp4 video? Subtitles always give me major problems on a Mac. QuickTime X sucks major balls.

Any freeware that can do this? I have an srt file and want to hardcode it into my mp4. I'm trying handbrake right now because it has a spot that says to add an external srt and it's encoding now but I doubt it's going to work because I heard handbrake doesn't hardcode or something.

How the hell can I hardcode subs into an mp4 video? Subtitles always give me major problems on a Mac. QuickTime X sucks major balls.

Any freeware that can do this? I have an srt file and want to hardcode it into my mp4. I'm trying handbrake right now because it has a spot that says to add an external srt and it's encoding now but I doubt it's going to work because I heard handbrake doesn't hardcode or something.

why not just use VLC for video playback?
and sorry no idea how to hardcode the subs...

why not just use VLC for video playback?
and sorry no idea how to hardcode the subs...
It's for watching on an apple tv. I use vlc or perian/QuickTime on my computer and subs work fine but when I tried to convert to use home sharing on apple tv the subs disappear. I don't really understand how this shit works. I gave up anyways. It was too much hassle and nothing I tried worked. :(

It's for watching on an apple tv. I use vlc or perian/QuickTime on my computer and subs work fine but when I tried to convert to use home sharing on apple tv the subs disappear. I don't really understand how this shit works. I gave up anyways. It was too much hassle and nothing I tried worked. :(

A I get it, well that sucks... :-/
maybe someone else will be able to help :)

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Hey guys, I'm trading in my MBP and am restoring it back to factory settings. I've erased the 'Macintosh HD' partition, reinstalled Lion and it is currently 'Welcome' registration screen. I didn't really have any sensitive information on the HDD but was wondering if it's good to go now.

Hey guys, I'm trading in my MBP and am restoring it back to factory settings. I've erased the 'Macintosh HD' partition, reinstalled Lion and it is currently 'Welcome' registration screen. I didn't really have any sensitive information on the HDD but was wondering if it's good to go now.

Yes, though if you haven't zero'd the HDD as part of the erase all your stuff is still there, you just made the partition table forget about it. Can be recovered with a number of utilities.

I always zero out a disk when I sell; usually a 7-way pass overnight (you can do 1, 7, and 30-odd passes).

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Yes, though if you haven't zero'd the HDD as part of the erase all your stuff is still there, you just made the partition table forget about it. Can be recovered with a number of utilities.

I always zero out a disk when I sell; usually a 7-way pass overnight (you can do 1, 7, and 30-odd passes).
Great, thanks for the advice. I'll give it another go.

Ashhong

I have the weirdest problem with my Macbook Pro sometimes. iChat just refuses to sign onto AIM, saying connection lost. And right now, the computer refuses to connect to Gmail. Sparrow and Google Chrome both cannot connect, while my Android phone can. Other sites are perfectly fine. Any ideas?

So recently my hard drive on my Imac started acting up. I booted from bootcamp back into osx and once it got to the boot screen it showed a load status then my mac would just shut off. I googled this issue from another computer to find that its most likely a hard drive failure.

Eventually I got the thing to reformat and all was well until I tried opening apps on a fresh installed osx each app would crash. I then took it to a apple store where guy did the same thing I did and it worked afterwards I get home and the airport card decides its not installed. So this time I install osx without formating and things seem to work. Now today I decide to scan with a program called Disk warrior that graphs my drive and says 31% are out of place. What I want to know is if there is something I can do that fixes the bad sectors I guess my hard drive has now

Need some urgent help. I installed Apimac Secret Folder to hide some files. I also enabled the option to password protect opening the app. Now it seems I've forgotten the password. The developers offer this advice.

Whether you forgot the password, just delete this folder:

/Users/<you>/Library/Application Support/Apimac/Secret Folder/

However, deleting this folder doesn't help as I get the prompt to enter the password the next time I open the application (which triggers the creation of the folder I had just previously deleted). Even installing a trial version of the app causes the same. So my question is, is there a way to completely wipe this program from my HD?

caramac

The only thing I can suggest is take a look at this. Maybe in your case take note of Application bundles and Additional files, as it seems like not all of the apps files have been wiped.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

irqwabz5Xcqmp.jpg

Top Bottom