• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment 73: Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRS

Theme: Shadows

Submissions are due by Sunday, August 23rd at 11:59 PM PST.

Voting begins Monday, August 24th at 12:01 AM PST and ends on Tuesday, August 25th at 11:59PM PST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads, then by photographer with the largest nose.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

neoism

evanylee said:
Look-1-00079-2.jpg

shadows
Damn that pic owns, hopefully I can come up with something tomorrow after work!

3836903513_b4d20f16e0.jpg

I noticed the new theme and didn't really have any ideas until I was walking back into my house from the garden and saw this on the wall. Snapped it quick enough before the sun set.

Taken with - Canon EOS 400D
Aperture - f/5.6
ISO - 100

Cyan

Banned
Hey evan, you know photos are supposed to be originally taken during the assignment period, right? Just making sure.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
LRS said:
2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

Just a reminder of the rules, boys. We don't ask for much.

EDIT: Beat'd. By a little cute puppy, no less.

Also, evenylee, it looks like you're a professional photographer. The EXIF data is stripped from your photo, so I just want to make sure that your photo was taken in the assignment period.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
AlternativeUlster said:
God damn. Can you put in a larger image of that in here? Congrats again to Bus winning last week's photo challenge. How come he didn't make the thread?

I opted to hand it over to LRS. Evan's picture is really, really good. I hope it's elligible...

Tapiozona

Banned
I don't think it is. He seems to be a professional photographer and that photo and a couple more from the set are on his website under his portfolio examples.

google his name to see his stuff.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Lucky Forward said:

You are just jealous because no one wants to quote your pictures.

joking

Wow at the attack dogs. Like when something professional and excellent comes by, it can't be taken within the last couple of days. Jesus dudes. Are you guys going to be like that with everybody or just whenever something great comes along so you can knock it down a notch? Should we leave it be and just say it was taken within the last couple of days?

Tapiozona

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:

joking

Wow at the attack dogs. Like when something professional and excellent comes by, it can't be taken within the last couple of days. Jesus dudes. Are you guys going to be like that with everybody or just whenever something great comes along so you can knock it down a notch? Should we leave it be and just say it was taken within the last couple of days?

Just when something great comes along so we can knock it down a notch.

I measure my penis by the length of everyone elses. If dickzilla comes waltzing in of course I'm going to do whatever I can to knock them down a notch.
(this is supposed to be a compliment to evanylee. That picture is fantastic)

aidan

evanylee said:
Whooops, sorry just read the rules, I'll disqualify myself. Looking forward to the submissions!

Thanks, dude. I hope you can find the time to participate for real. I took a look at your website, then wept with jealousy. Great stuff.

Tf53

AlternativeUlster said:

joking

Just in case you're actually serious:

The point of these assignments is to keep people shooting. People get a topic and go out looking for the shot that best suits the theme. I didn't see anyone attacking Evan, people just wanted to make sure that the shot was within the rules (they're in the OP, in case you didn't notice).

And to be honest, I think you're the last poster who should whine about attacks.

Zyzyxxz

well all my ideas fell flat so this is all I could come up with. The theme was much harder for me than I thought it'd be.

3841398029_92f8c4a5af_o.jpg

Memles

Would love to get out and shoot some more, but it's not really an option, so picking the best option from my 2900+ road trip photos it is:

20gy361.jpg

Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 200

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Tf53 said:
Just in case you're actually serious:

The point of these assignments is to keep people shooting. People get a topic and go out looking for the shot that best suits the theme. I didn't see anyone attacking Evan, people just wanted to make sure that the shot was within the rules (they're in the OP, in case you didn't notice).

And to be honest, I think you're the last poster who should whine about attacks.

But people already jumped to conclusions about it. Why would anyone really question it? Granted, I guess since people made such accusations, Evan didn't realize the rules but why would anyone decide to use detective work to determine its elgibilitity? Was it because of that picture last week of some girl's face even though the background was clearly autumn?

aidan

AlternativeUlster said:
But people already jumped to conclusions about it. Why would anyone really question it? Granted, I guess since people made such accusations, Evan didn't realize the rules but why would anyone decide to use detective work to determine its elgibilitity? Was it because of that picture last week of some girl's face even though the background was clearly autumn?

Just to clear things up: I was really impressed with Evan's work last week, and stumbled onto his website, which I browsed for a while. When he posted such a gorgeous photo, perfect for the theme, so soon after the assignment was posted, something clicked back in my memory, so I tried to check the EXIF data, but it was missing.

So I asked him.

Cyan

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
I just hate to see other people succeed. I have a private detective on retainer, and whenever I see a really good photo or a good story in the story challenge, I have him check things out to see if I can get that person disqualified. Or at least break their kneecaps.

aidan

RefigeKru said:
I've only got my mobile phone camera. Can I still join? :p

Definitely! I always thought a cool theme would be 'Mobile Phone Only!' or to limit MP for those who don't have a camera phone.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
3842513671_5d411c33ee_o.jpg

Olympus E30
12-60mm f2.8
ISO 500
Exposure: 1/400
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 35 mm

Tapiozona

Banned
Ohhh I really like that.
Always a fan of "god rays" in photographs. Looks very ominous with the clouds and then the contrast of the rays and the shadows the clouds make.
Nice job.

AlternativeUlster said:

Why are you acting like the fucking inquisition descended and rifled through this guy's life before disemboweling him? People asked if it fell under the rules. evanylee didn't seem upset by it; clearly that part of the challenge slipped past him (I'm guessing he's a dude, at least) and when it was pointed out, it wasn't a problem. It doesn't make him a less-fantastic photographer or anything.

This isn't something that's just come up since last week, either. I've been a sporadic participant and I've seen it happen before.

mrkgoo

I just realised this is going to be a record long thread again.

It's a good photo, and I do get Alternativeulsters point about suspicion when a photo is 'too good', but it isn't really like that.

The point of these threads is to get people out shooting, to try and get people shooting things they otherwise wouldn't, or to otherwise just give focus to someone's shooting (which can help develop an eye) - it's not to post the best photo you have taken in the past that happens to fit in the theme. It was the only rule I ever made when this was started (although another one I encouraged was to not quote images, since it made collation and viewing the thread a bit cluttered where the whole point was to see all the images in the same light).

Another rule that seems to have cropped up is 800px on the long edge, which I don't actually necessarily agree with in principal (because I think the size of the image can be important to how it's presented, and normally think a large image that stretches the thread to often be detrimental anyway), but I see the need for it practically.

Really, with only one really strict rule to the entries, I don't think it's much to ask. Otherwise it can start becoming who has the oldest/biggest library. On that note, I did once ponder a "post your best photo you have ever taken" assignment week, just to see what would happen, but I decided against it.

RefigeKru

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
whoa! Nice pic, what kind of post-processing did you use if any?

I thought about it the same way I'd make a picture in the darkroom, so I just blurred one of the layers and erased it slightly and then some brightness/levels and a black and white filter then, bam.

Evidently, I'm not very good at it to be honest, it's rare I use photoshop for what it's actually meant for. But basically I tried to make it as similar to what I'd expect a film version to look like. The original is here if you want to see the extent of my skulduggery.

Please bear with me on this - the crappy internet cafe I'm posting from doesn't seem to let me pick up the properties of my image from Flickr ... So if some kind poster would oblige me by posting the actual damn photo I took?

Tis here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgrbear/3845415006/

Re. this assignment, I'm amazed how many butt-awgul pictures it's possible to take when you're trying to work to a particular theme. I'm sure that's almost exactly the point of doing these, and that this has been a case of me coming up hard against my limitations as a cameraman. Excellent fun to participate in however, and congratulations to everyone for their damn-sight-better-than-mine contributions!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Tapiozona said:
Ohhh I really like that.
Always a fan of "god rays" in photographs. Looks very ominous with the clouds and then the contrast of the rays and the shadows the clouds make.
Nice job.
Thanks!

Nachkebia said:
http://www.boke.ge/forum/uploads/1154860175/gallery_121_3_1154984057.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.boke.ge/forum/uploads/1140549273/gallery_121_22_1140637280.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.boke.ge/forum/uploads/1120336737/gallery_121_24_1120644948.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.boke.ge/forum/uploads/1119123561/gallery_121_16_1119282167.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
If you'd like to share your pics for the current assignment this is the thread to do it, [url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367026[/url]
If you could pick one as your submission that would be great!

for B B Bomba! the long edge is 1024, if you can resize it we can fix it i dont see a problem as it should adjust the thread for too many people
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2526/3852162022_60fca8f314_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom