• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Teases for new 2D Sonic(?) game - Project Needlemouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmj

I don't believe for a second that this will take Sonic back to his roots in any way, shape or form, besides it possibly being 2D.
I beg of you SEGA, prove me wrong. :(

jman2050

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, Mr Needlemouse was the original name for the original Sonic the Hedgehog character, so there's no mistaking what this is about.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Blackbird| said:
Prope sonic clone for wii,yuji naka teased it a months ago...

Doesn't the link say it is HD? (though I would imagine it will be PS360/Wii)

Stitch

Gold Member
154862z8qlw1.jpg

THIS IS WHAT SEGA SAYS TO THE INTERNET

THE ACTUAL GAME IS MADE FOR THIRTEEN YEAR OLDS

IT WILL ALWAYS BE THIS WAY

The caps are necessary because no one ever listens.

GS: Why did Sega decide to bring Sonic back to 2D? Did the success of Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure play a part?

KB: Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay. Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed, but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots.

GS: What can you tell us about the game?

KB: I can tell you it’s a brand new 2D adventure coming out in 2010, it’s in HD, and to definitely stay tuned.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/projectneedlemouse/news.html?sid=6216990&mode=previews

I'm excited for this. I don't really care if I end up disappointed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Relix said:
Where is that flowchart when you need it?

Sonic Cycle.gif

We're at the... *points* HOPE AND PONDERMENT STAGE! Make way for...

*points down* DESPAIR AND DISAPPOINTMENTVILLE!

Don't like, all Sonic games sell better on Wii? Why in the world are they making this HD? Whatever, Sega's strange fuck-ups always turn out to be awesome (Shenmue, looking at you) so I'm in for the reveal.

Blueblur1

Okay, maybe it's the nostalgia that's overwhelming me -- 09/09/09 is tomorrow after all -- but I am HYPED. I want to see some gameplay a.s.a.p. Just give me 10 seconds of it, Sega.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
kiruyama said:
Don't like, all Sonic games sell better on Wii? Why in the world are they making this HD? Whatever, Sega's strange fuck-ups always turn out to be awesome (Shenmue, looking at you) so I'm in for the reveal.

I can't fathom Sega skipping a Wii version given the success of the other Sonic games on the platform. I would guess it will be an Unleashed situation.

TreIII

No. NO!

Dammit, Sega, NO! NO! NO! NO!

You can't keep throwing "...Returning back to his roots" in my face! It's lost all meaning years ago, and it's not going to work! Especially when you keep adding in "speed-based gameplay" along with it!

It hasn't worked on me since Sonic Rush, and you're not going to sucker this guy, again.

The only, and I repeat, ONLY way you're going to get me to look so much at another Sonic game again, is through these things being promised:

a) Actual Momentum-based gameplay, like the older titles
b) Non-realistic Earth setting
c) limiting of "friends". Or hell, no friends at all, would be fine, too.
d) Eggman/Robotnik, along with Metal Sonic, are the main bad guys, and ONLY bad-guys.
e) Super Sonic is available for casual, in-level play, after you collect all those damn emeralds.
f) Imaginative level design

If you can't promise me that, then, sorry, you're not getting my money for a Sonic game. You leave that to your gullible fans and children's parents.

Lan_97

I like the sounds. But from what is written in the trailer, it looks like they haven't learned.

How many times has Sonic gone back to his "roots" now?

:(

jman2050

TheSonicRetard said:
Son of a fucking bitch. Second time in a row they stole my engine name. STOP FOLLOWING ME SEGA!

don't stop

I totally forgot you named your engine that :lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gamespot said:
Since he debuted just under years ago, Sonic the Hedgehog has been Sega's mainstay mascot.
Looks like Gamespot needs a copy editor. The first sentence, scratch that, the first line is incomplete.

Lan_97

That Q&A doesn't sound promising...

GS: What games do you think have captured that essence best over the years?

KB: Personally, the games that first come to mind are the Sonic Legacy titles, (Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles), Sonic Adventure, Sonic Rush, and Sonic’s speed in Sonic Unleashed. I think each of those games did a great job at propelling the series forward to a new generation, both visually and in terms of gameplay.

GS: Do you think the expansion of the universe with additional characters helped or diluted Sonic’s image?

KB: I think it definitely added more depth to the character and created a much richer universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom