• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment 75: Working Class Hero(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xun

Theme: Working Class Hero(es) -- I thought I’d go along with this topic, especially since it’s partially in relation to the Beatles! I decided to give people a lot of time to work on this one as well, but if that’s too long I wouldn’t mind changing it. Hopefully we’ll get some interesting submissions!

Submissions are due by Wednesday, September 30th at 11:59 PM PST.

Voting begins Thursday, October 1st and ends on Friday, October 2nd at 11:59 PM PST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

Edit: Whoops, I meant to call it "Working Class Hero(es)" instead of "Working Class Hero(s)". I know I only missed an e, but could a staff member please change it? Thanks.

Xun said:
Edit: Whoops, I meant to call it "Working Class Hero(es)" instead of "Working Class Hero(s)". I know I only missed an e, but could a staff member please change it? Thanks.
Hah, I never even noticed that! It's no big thing, but I think that noun topic titles when written as plural also encompass the singular, e.g. , the topic "Cars" would include shots of a single car or multiple cars...so "Working Class Heroes" without the parens would include both. IMO

And I think I've got an idea...

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Congrats on the win Xun! Sorry I couldn't participate last week (doesn't happen often...), but I should be back in full force for this assignment.

Nachkebia

Banned
gallery_121_6_1133968706.jpg

Xun

Thanks for the congrats!

Also awesome shots so far guys, looking great! I'll hopefully come up with an idea shortly...

Edit: Just a quick question, but since my friend has signed up to NeoGAF and is awaiting his account to be verified. Is it possible for me to post his submission?

aidan

Xun said:
Edit: Just a quick question, but since my friend has signed up to NeoGAF and is awaiting his account to be verified. Is it possible for me to post his submission?

It's alright with me.

Jeff-DSA

Fair workers!

3927168219_34cf33c11a_b.jpg

Link to larger size: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3488/3927168219_34cf33c11a_b.jpg

The grain is intentional because I wanted it to look more like film and I felt that the fair is one of those old timey type of events. I tried to compose the shot so that it looked a bit like something that would appear in a newspaper article about the state fair. Luckily this woman managed to go on working and ignoring me while I set up and took the picture.

Nachkebia

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Holy crap, do you have the camera and settings data?

Nikon FM3a and provia 100F, f*ck digital :D

Scythian Empire

Yap, I love Manuel Álvarez Bravo, dunno why though, he has something that fascinates me but I can not point it out......

Tapiozona
I live in Dubai

I am glad you liked my photo guys!

Xun said:
I just extended the time... hopefully we'll get more entries!
This has been an absolutely crazy two weeks for me, but I did have a plan to get something in tonight. But I did check to see if you had extended it first. Thanks. :)

mrkgoo

Lucky Forward: Is that you? ;)

Jeff-DSA: I like the shot, but while it does seem newspapery, the counter top thing on the left make it also seem a bit stalkery.

mrkgoo

Did the date get pushed back again? I thought it was today.

Anyway, finally got off my butt to enter this week.

EF-S 60mm Macro, f/2.8, 1/640s, iso100.

Xun

Yeah, I'm really sorry about that guys.

I was just afraid at the end of the day we were to only have 3 entries.

shuri

Banned
Those threads are always awesome. I rarely comments because I have nothing really special to bring to the conversation, but the photos in this thread are awesome!

mrkgoo

Xun said:
Yeah, I'm really sorry about that guys.

I was just afraid at the end of the day we were to only have 3 entries.

To be honest, sometimes you just have to let it through. If there is only 3 entries, it could just be a bad couple of weeks, or the theme was a tough one to nut out. Just letting it through means everyone can vote and move on to the next. Rewards those who actually posted by having a higher 'chance' at getting chosen too. Although at this stage, most people probably already know who's going to get chosen ;).

aidan

3921089849_0c4f96028f.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/1.8
Focal Length: 50 mm
Exposure: -0.42
ISO Speed: 1600

Similar idea to Lucky Forward's entry, but a different execution. It's me, but it's not meant to be a self portrait, rather I just didn't have anyone else around to model.

mrkgoo

aidan said:

Similar idea to Lucky Forward's entry, but a different execution. It's me, but it's not meant to be a self portrait, rather I just didn't have anyone else around to model.

You look different from this angle. Yes, I'm stalking you.

Is that vignetting a physical or digital effect?

aidan

mrkgoo said:
You look different from this angle. Yes, I'm stalking you.

Is that vignetting a physical or digital effect?

I'm a master of disguise. Plus my hair is long in that photo, and has since been cut. I actually made an attempt to make myself look a little different than usual, to get rid of the self-portraitness of it.

As for the vignetting, it's both. A focused light and some vignetting added afterwards in Lightroom.

Rayo

Banned
2zsr4mx.png

I'm using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 and don't really know how to view or adjust the settings that everyone posts (if they are even available for this non-dslr camera).

Tf53

Hi guys, long time no see.

3968489610_6da88208c6_o.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8
Exposure: 0.077 sec (1/13)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 24 mm
Exposure: +0.20
ISO Speed: 800

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Focal length: 50 mm
Exposure time: 1/80 second
ISO: 1600
Post Processing: Mono in camera, arbitrary rotate, crop, adjust curves, resize, despeckle, and unsharp mask in GIMP.
What I was smoking: I had just missed a decidedly YMCA moment.

Nachkebia said:

TheWiicast said:

Jeff-DSA said:
Fair workers!

3927168219_34cf33c11a_b.jpg

Link to larger size: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3488/3927168219_34cf33c11a_b.jpg

The grain is intentional because I wanted it to look more like film and I felt that the fair is one of those old timey type of events. I tried to compose the shot so that it looked a bit like something that would appear in a newspaper article about the state fair. Luckily this woman managed to go on working and ignoring me while I set up and took the picture.

captive said:
The Tradesmen.
3958840708_059037efc8_o.jpg

Lucky Forward said:
RSZ5_9720ps2.jpg

Canon 20D, 85mm f/1.2L, ISO 400, 1/320 sec, f/2.5

mrkgoo said:
Did the date get pushed back again? I thought it was today.

Anyway, finally got off my butt to enter this week.

EF-S 60mm Macro, f/2.8, 1/640s, iso100.

aidan said:
3921089849_0c4f96028f.jpg

Rayo said:
2zsr4mx.png

I'm using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 and don't really know how to view or adjust the settings that everyone posts (if they are even available for this non-dslr camera).

Tf53 said:
Hi guys, long time no see.

3968489610_6da88208c6_o.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8
Exposure: 0.077 sec (1/13)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 24 mm
Exposure: +0.20
ISO Speed: 800

Squirrel Killer said:

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Focal length: 50 mm
Exposure time: 1/80 second
ISO: 1600
Post Processing: Mono in camera, arbitrary rotate, crop, adjust curves, resize, despeckle, and unsharp mask in GIMP.
What I was smoking: I had just missed a decidedly YMCA moment.
Let the voting begin.

mrkgoo

First choice:nachkebia. Just brilliant The warm colours, the focus on the eyes, there's real character behind this shot.
Runner up:The Wiicast. I dunno, this was the kind of shot I was expecting to see more of.

Comments:
Jeff-DSA: An honourable mention for sure. If it weren't for the 'hidden cam' feel, I probably would've voted for it.

Captive: Another nice one. Overall, it looks a little flat. Was this staged?

Lucky Forward: I do like this shot a lot, but it doesn't scream out at me.

mrkgoo: When I read the subject, I knew I wanted to capture a drone bee. A tough thing, seeing as it's the beginning of Autumn. The only bees I saw that afternoon were this one and another one later (possibly the same on) get caught and eaten by a spider. Nothing screams 'working class hero' to me more than a worker bee gathering nectar, but at the same time pollinating plants. Holds the eco-system together.

Aidan: an excellently processed shot. Not entirely sure what you were going for, however.

Rayo: Interesting, but again, not sure what's really going on.

Tf53: I don't get it. :/

Squirrel Killer: A nice idea! but lacks that special 'something'. Perhaps a more intimate crop?

Max@GC

1. mrkgoo - the most original out of the bunch
2. nachkebia - conservative but imo the best because of the focus on the eyes, the awesome lighting and the nice colors

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
1) Mrkgoo - good shot. I instantly "got it" and thought it was very appropriate.
But not only that its a very good shot. You're showing the "hero" working doing its job. I love the detail, bokeh, and vibrant yellow.
2)The Wiicast - fantastic shot. I love the B&W. Also showing the "hero" in the process of working.

No offense to others but I just dont "get" many of them and how they apply to the theme.

mrkgoo said:
Captive: Another nice one. Overall, it looks a little flat. Was this staged?
Yes, when I saw this thread I instantly thought of my brother. He is a master plumber who's busted his ass to get where he is and will pay his crews before he'll take a cent for himself if things are tight. Which IMO is more hero than any movie star or athlete.
The vignetting was processed in. I was hoping for a bigger flame or something with more sparks something a long those lines but he didn't have tools that could do it.

mrkgoo

captive said:
1) Mrkgoo - good shot. I instantly "got it" and thought it was very appropriate.
But not only that its a very good shot. You're showing the "hero" working doing its job. I love the detail, bokeh, and vibrant yellow.
2)The Wiicast - fantastic shot. I love the B&W. Also showing the "hero" in the process of working.

No offense to others but I just dont "get" many of them and how they apply to the theme.

Yes, when I saw this thread I instantly thought of my brother. He is a master plumber who's busted his ass to get where he is and will pay his crews before he'll take a cent for himself if things are tight. Which IMO is more hero than any movie star or athlete.
The vignetting was processed in. I was hoping for a bigger flame or something with more sparks something a long those lines but he didn't have tools that could do it.

Yeah, I got your intent. The theme says to me more about the 'real' hero, the working class, who lay the foundation for the rest of society. I can definitely see where you were hoping to go with the shot - I've seen lots of 'sparks' welding shots that look great - like a lot of other commercial photographs, they're not so easy to pull off in reality! I guess your shot could've been something more than just him leaning over a small inanimate carbon rod, is what I was getting at. I like your processing, however. It does jump out a bit more than some other shots. Thanks for the comments!

Tf53

Winner: mrkgoo - I love the colours.

Runner-up: Lucky Forward - While the subject is a bit cheap (it's not your first self-portrait :)), I feel like the execution is excellent.

mrkgoo said:
Tf53: I don't get it. :/
They're soccer jerseys. One could argue that in Europe, soccer players are the heroes of the working class.

mrkgoo

Tf53 said:
Winner: mrkgoo - I love the colours.

Runner-up: Lucky Forward - While the subject is a bit cheap (it's not your first self-portrait :)), I feel like the execution is excellent.

They're soccer jerseys. One could argue that in Europe, soccer players are the heroes of the working class.

Ah, I see...like "hero for the working class". I never saw it like that. Nice interpretation :)

First - Nachkebia - Love the lighting and the focus on the eyes, the fact that it's a real-life moment.

Runner-Up - Wiicast - Like mrkgoo said, I think this kind of real-life shooting is what the thread was intended to be about. Nicely done.

Comments:

Jess-DSA I don't think the wide-angle serves you well here, seems like the subject is pushed up into the right corner.

captive - I like the look you've captured in this shot, but your brother seems a little too "passive" to really make it interesting. Maybe if he would have had work gloves on and been holding or steadying the pipe as he heated it, it would have been more involving...just a thought.

mrkgoo - Nice take, I had a similar idea about doing something with ants.

aidan - I guess I get that you're just an average working guy, but I'm not seeing the "work" element in the picture. Cheer up!

Rayo - An interesting, different take. I would have included all of both pillars on either side to make it symmetrical. Looks like it needs some contrast or levels adjustment.

Tf53 - I like your take on the theme, but the lighting and colors don't really "pop" for me.

Squirrel Killer - Cute, but like you said, it seems like you just missed the moment.

My shot - I originally wanted to get a shot of my brother or his crew working on a house that they are building, but our schedules didn't work out. My "submit something" fallback idea was to see if my cap and scruffy beard would allow my IT-office-worker self to pass for working class. :p

Xun

It's a shame I didn't manage to take a photo in time... college started up again and I was instantly given a fair deal of work.

Anyway.

1. Nachkebia
2. Lucky Forward

Truly awesome work this month guys! I'll give an opinion on everyones in the morning.

Also sorry for changing the time twice, I feel like an idiot.

aidan

First: Nachkebia

Second: The Wiicast

These two just both nailed the theme, straight off the bat. I found it to be a damn tricky theme, as evidenced by my lackluster submission. Good job to everyone who participated!

mrkgoo said:
Aidan: an excellently processed shot. Not entirely sure what you were going for, however.

Lucky Forward said:
aidan - I guess I get that you're just an average working guy, but I'm not seeing the "work" element in the picture. Cheer up!

Thanks guys. This was a case of having this awesome vision in my head and just not being able to transfer it through the camera. I was hoping to convey the everyman, a little worn down and jaded from work. I chose a picture with the subject looking off screen to try to create the feeling of a candid snapshot, or some sort of interview.

Lucky, I'm a pretty cheery guy, and I was trying to 'act' worn and jaded, as I mentioned earlier. I guess it kinda worked!

Rayo

Banned
17 Nachkebia
10 TheWiicast
9 mrkgoo
2 Lucky Forward
1 captive
1 Tf53
0 Jeff-DSA
0 aidan
0 Rayo
0 Squirrel Killer

The Top Three:

Nachkebia
gallery_121_6_1133968706.jpg

TheWiicast
taffypuller1.jpg

mrkgoo
3961749274_0c15bf1214_o.jpg

Quick stats:
Winning Margin: 7
Entries: 10
Votes: 10
Vote Distribution: 60% (6 of 10)

Congratulations to Nachkebia!

NeoGAF Photo Assignment Threads FAQ

mrkgoo

Congrats people!

Am I the only one who gets a little reassurance that when the two that get chosen in first place and runner up match your own votes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom