• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Patents Console Wide "Demon's Souls-esque" Game Help System

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This sounds pretty interesting actually. It even seems to allow everything from videos to audio commentary.

Siliconera said:
Nintendo made waves with the Super Guide autoplay system in New Super Mario Bros. Wii., but they aren’t the only company developing in-game guides.

Microsoft has been working on a system that’s part Super Guide and part Demon’s Souls for well over a year. A patent filed by Andre Vrignaud, Director Games Platform Strategy at Microsoft, reveals a plan to assist gamers during difficult parts with help from other players. When a player gets stuck the game looks up the problem spot, accesses a database, and brings up a list of user submitted tips and guides. After absorbing the collective information players, with some more practice, should be able to pass the challenge.

The patent mentions this service will utilize Xbox Live, but it isn’t clear if it will be free or for Xbox Live Gold Members only.

On paper, it sounds like in-game FAQs. So, why would authors want to use this? Microsoft’s game guide system mentions a robust authoring system which allows players to capture screenshots, video clips, and annotate them with a digital pencil. Authors may even be able to add audio commentary and tag situations, objects, and items. Tags will be used to link tips to specific game situations. Developers will be able to created guides too, which can be starred or weighed higher than user created guides.

Microsoft’s community focused plan has potential, especially for achievement hunters, but it also has a chicken and egg problem. Popular series like Halo will have tons of tips. No problem there. However, smaller games — perhaps games to difficult for a mass audience, won’t have as large of a community.
Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2009/11/23/microsofts-answer-to-nintendos-super-guide/

Gattsu25

Banned
Nirolak said:
On paper, it sounds like in-game FAQs. So, why would authors want to use this? Microsoft’s game guide system mentions a robust authoring system which allows players to capture screenshots, video clips, and annotate them with a digital pencil. Authors may even be able to add audio commentary and tag situations, objects, and items. Tags will be used to link tips to specific game situations. Developers will be able to created guides too, which can be starred or weighed higher than user created guides.
Sticky white stuff.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
If well implemented.. and moderated.. that could be really good.

Probably far off or won't ever get anywhere though.

Yeef

Reminds me of Mirror's Edge. Viewing the ghosts of other players helped me find ideal paths on most of the challenges.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
Does this mean that From Software won't be allowed to implement the system in the follow up to Demons' Souls?

They seem like slightly different systems. I dont think the MS one will be implemented in the game as far as demons souls. Atleast thats how i see it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does this mean that From Software won't be allowed to implement the system in the follow up to Demons' Souls?
It means that MS shouldn't be awarded a patent for the same thing, because Demon's Souls demonstrates prior art. But when it comes to video game and other tech patents, it seems like novelty search is usually lacking.

I agree that this sounds different, though. It may not end up as seamlessly integrated as the help in Demon's Souls.

Slavik81

Doubtful. A patent covers specific ways of doing things, not entire concepts.

Comic

TheSeks said:
So, in other words... a wiki? *eyebrow raise*

Edit: Oh, reading a bit more into it it seems to be a wiki + Demon Soul's-esque ghosting system for things. Sort-of want, but frankly wikis make this redundant.

It's not quite redundant when you can access it in-game, without having to go use a computer/get up from your seat.

lorddct

Metalic Sand said:
They seem like slightly different systems. I dont think the MS one will be implemented in the game as far as demons souls. Atleast thats how i see it.

From software can claim prior art since it's already in demon souls. But the patent can be different from how From Software implemented it. They can probably continue using their system.

Brofist

xbhaskarx said:
For those of us who have not been paying attention, what exactly are Super Guide and the Demon's Souls system?
In Demon's Souls people can leave messages containing hints for others to read. They appear as red marks on the ground, and are optional of course.

sonicmj1

TTP said:
"This is harsh. Evaluate me."

Very cool idea.

I didn't have any idea what that meant when I was playing the Asian version.

Only now do I realize it's the equivalent of, "I'm in trouble. Please rate me!"

gafster1

Neo Member
user_nat said:
If well implemented.. and moderated.. that could be really good..

Doesnt have to be moderated, only allow the crowd to rate the material. "Was this useful? Did it help? Rate 1-5"

Crowd sourcing > moderators.

DeBurgo

1. Ugh, software parent
2. It works in demon's souls because it's consistent with the environment and gameplay, placed in any old game it could get pretty annoying and useless!

UraMallas

Sounds really neat. Probably a feature for the NextBox.

DeBurgo said:
2. It works in demon's souls because it's consistent with the environment and gameplay, placed in any old game it could get pretty annoying and useless!
When something is useless what do you do with it?

(Answer: You don't use it.)

So...

Virro

UraMallas said:
Sounds really neat. Probably a feature for the NextBox.

When something is useless what do you do with it?

(Answer: You don't use it.)

So...

Yeah, but that's not gonna stop developers from trying it at least for a little while.

Even in Demon's Souls it gets annoying in certain places, ie. the "I'm in trouble -- Please recommend this message!" that gets spammed by seemingly everyone in boss fights. I don't want to recommend your damn message, I'm doing the boss fight myself.

Woo-Fu

Banned
DanteFox said:
Nintendo innovates, the rest follow.

Unless it is graphics, audio, or network infrastructure. In those cases other companies innovate while Nintendo stands there scratching its collective head.

No shortage of innovation in the industry, acting like Nintendo is special when it comes to that seems rather myopic.

Mr YuYu

This sounds awesome! No more gamefaqs for me then.

Not that i hate gamefaqs or anything but having the info just 1 click away is great.

Mr YuYu

DeBurgo said:
1. Ugh, software parent

I was thinking this would be accesed buy clicking the guidebutton.

Virro

Mr YuYu said:
This sounds awesome! No more gamefaqs for me then.

Not that i hate gamefaqs or anything but having the info just 1 click away is great.

At least in Demon's Souls...doesn't quite work like that. You don't see a preview of the message, you can click the icon and it'll come up. So half the time you get spam and half the time you get useful info. It still doesn't provide you with much in-depth help because you have to write it by using a list of pre-programmed phrases and sometimes you can plug in filler words to certain phrases, ie. "The enemy ahead is weak to ______ "

DanteFox

Woo-Fu said:
Unless it is graphics, audio, or network infrastructure. In those cases other companies innovate while Nintendo stands there scratching its collective head.

No shortage of innovation in the industry, acting like Nintendo is special when it comes to that seems rather myopic.
I must confess I was only half-joking in my original statement, but yeah, Nintendo innovates in the bolded areas as well, or have you just started gaming in 2006?

Mr YuYu

Virro said:
At least in Demon's Souls...doesn't quite work like that. You don't see a preview of the message, you can click the icon and it'll come up. So half the time you get spam and half the time you get useful info. It still doesn't provide you with much in-depth help because you have to write it by using a list of pre-programmed phrases and sometimes you can plug in filler words to certain phrases, ie. "The enemy ahead is weak to ______ "

:-/ Sounds a lot less interesting this way. I was hoping this would be accesed by clicking the guidebutton. Basicaly allowing you acces to a gamefaq(ish) sort of database for the game you are playing.

Top Bottom