• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 90: Emotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VNZ

If my memory serves me correctly spring is turning into summer, and love has hit me hard entirely from nowhere. In celebration of that, may I unveil this weeks theme ingredient:

Emotion

Submissions are due by Sunday, May 16th at 23:59 GMT +/- 8 hours.

Voting begins Monday, May 17th and ends on Tuesday, May 18th at 23:59 GMT +/- 8 hours.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

Reminder: While it is not required, you are strongly encouraged to provide your settings/shooting information so that others can see how you obtained the results that you did.

VNZ said:
(PS. I wasn't quite sure to set the deadline in 1.5 or 2.5 weeks, it is of course something I'll change if you guys think this is too long for one assignment)

IMO, I'd go for 1.5 weeks and May 16 for the deadline. There are still two weekends to shoot, and I think if we stretch it out for another week there will probably be a lull in interest for a while until a day or two before the deadline.

VNZ

Lucky Forward said:
IMO, I'd go for 1.5 weeks and May 16 for the deadline. There are still two weekends to shoot, and I think if we stretch it out for another week there will probably be a lull in interest for a while until a day or two before the deadline.
Yes, 2.5 weeks seems a bit long. Deadline changed!

ChryZ

Dawn Melancholy

p1010269raw.jpg

Camera Maker: Panasonic
Camera Model: DMC-GF1
Lens: Canon FD 50mm f1.4
Image Date: 2010:05:07 05:50:47
Focal Length: 50mm
Aperture: f/1.4
Exposure Time: 0.040 s (1/25)
ISO equiv: 200

koam

I'm so in this time, I just hope I can pull of the shot I want to take. BTW, are you allowed editing your pics? For example, can I supper impose two shots to get the effect that i want?

koam said:
I'm so in this time, I just hope I can pull of the shot I want to take. BTW, are you allowed editing your pics? For example, can I supper impose two shots to get the effect that i want?
From the FAQ's linked in the OP:

Q. How much post-processing is allowed?

A. There's no restriction on post, but this is a photography assignment, not a Photoshop one. In the past, heavily post-processed entries have gotten votes, but rarely competed for the "win." Again, "Others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit."
In the end, it's up to the voters.

4598851384_5d81b56ab3_o.jpg

Camera: Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D)
Lens: Canon 50mm f/1.8
ISO: 1600
Aperture: 1.8
Exposure Time 1/1000
Date: May 9th, 2010

VNZ

Pleasure aka Suck it boy

(Didn't originally think I would have the time to do something worthwhile – and I didn't! – but this might serve as a bump for you others... Only the weekend left for submissions!)

Ran into a squatter while photographing an abandoned building, he asked me to take a picture of this memorial he had made for a friend:

4606997127_e4f43980df_o.jpg

Canon 5DII w/ 16-35 f/2.8L
27mm, 1/25 sec, f/2.8, ISO 250

ronito

I knew some sort of cityscape or variation would make it into this challenge.

Cityscapes are to these challenges as the main character dying is to the creative writing challenges.

Ignis

faith2.jpg

Faith

Ricoh GXR w/ A12 unit (50mm eq.)
f/2.5 | 1/200s | ISO 200

(Tried a 4:3 crop then opted against it.)

Edit : On second thought, changed for a slightly cropped version. Original was here.

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Focal length: 18 mm
Exposure time: 1/250 second
Aperture: f/3.5
Post Processing: Crop, adjust color curves, adjust levels, mono via channel mixer, resizein GIMP.
What I was smoking: Getting sent to this bed generated the most emotion for me in a long time and radically altered my self perception. Photo probably sucks, but I don't care, I might even make it my wallpaper to remind me not to go back.

edgefusion

Not too late am I? Doesn't really stack up to everyone else's I'm afraid. I'm not a professional or even amateur photographer, I took this on my point and shoot Samsung NV3.

dsea.jpg

Stalfos

Taken at the Vietnam Women's Memorial in Washington DC. Visiting the memorials in DC can be enough to evoke emotion. This is one of the memorials that displays it beautifully.

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (350D)
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8
Exposure time: bracketed 1/250, 1/500, & 1/1000
Aperture: f/2.2
ISO: 100

Zyzyxxz

4613265285_962120413a_o.jpg

D90, Nikkor 50mm F1.8

shot at: F/9, ISO 500, 1/2500th

Post-Porcessing: minimal with a little lighting adjustment and cropped

subject: my angry baby nephew who is growing up and learning to smile.

pirahna1

DSC_0257.jpg

Camera: Nikon D3000
Aperture: f/9
Exposure: 1/320

My first entry. I took a bunch of pictures on a trail, this came closest to an emotion for me. I had one with the sun set in the trunk, but it just didn't feel right.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Camera: Olympus EP2
Lens: Lumix 20mm f1.7
ISO: 3200
Aperture: 1.7
Exposure Time 1/50

VNZ

Time to vote!

ChryZ said:
Dawn Melancholy

p1010269raw.jpg

Camera Maker: Panasonic
Camera Model: DMC-GF1
Lens: Canon FD 50mm f1.4
Image Date: 2010:05:07 05:50:47
Focal Length: 50mm
Aperture: f/1.4
Exposure Time: 0.040 s (1/25)
ISO equiv: 200

ronitoswife said:

JLateralus said:

Camera: Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D)
Lens: Canon 50mm f/1.8
Aperture: 1.8
Exposure Time 1/1000
Date: May 9th, 2010

AnkitT said:

VNZ said:

Pleasure aka Suck it boy

chaostrophy said:
Ran into a squatter while photographing an abandoned building, he asked me to take a picture of this memorial he had made for a friend:

4606997127_e4f43980df_o.jpg

Canon 5DII w/ 16-35 f/2.8L
27mm, 1/25 sec, f/2.8, ISO 250

Ignis said:
faith2.jpg

Faith

Ricoh GXR w/ A12 unit (50mm eq.)
f/2.5 | 1/200s | ISO 200

(Tried a 4:3 crop then opted against it.)]

Celery&Lager said:
IMG_2010_05_15_1968_800px.jpg

Canon 450D
f5.6, 1/50sec, ISO100

Squirrel Killer said:

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Focal length: 18 mm
Exposure time: 1/250 second
Aperture: f/3.5
Post Processing: Crop, adjust color curves, adjust levels, mono via channel mixer, resizein GIMP.
What I was smoking: Getting sent to this bed generated the most emotion for me in a long time and radically altered my self perception. Photo probably sucks, but I don't care, I might even make it my wallpaper to remind me not to go back.

RefigeKru said:

edgefusion said:
Not too late am I? Doesn't really stack up to everyone else's I'm afraid. I'm not a professional or even amateur photographer, I took this on my point and shoot Samsung NV3.

dsea.jpg

Stalfos said:
Taken at the Vietnam Women's Memorial in Washington DC. Visiting the memorials in DC can be enough to evoke emotion. This is one of the memorials that displays it beautifully.

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (350D)
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8
Exposure time: bracketed 1/250, 1/500, & 1/1000
Aperture: f/2.2

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Shit, I had a concept in mind for this assignment but just didn't have the time to do it.

I think this fits though-

1zfmmbn.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
4613265285_962120413a_o.jpg

D90, Nikkor 50mm F1.8

shot at: F/9, ISO 500, 1/2500th

Post-Porcessing: minimal with a little lighting adjustment and cropped

subject: my angry baby nephew who is growing up and learning to smile.

pirahna1 said:
DSC_0257.jpg

Camera: Nikon D3000
Aperture: f/9
Exposure: 1/320

My first entry. I took a bunch of pictures on a trail, this came closest to an emotion for me. I had one with the sun set in the trunk, but it just didn't feel right.

captive said:

Camera: Olympus EP2
Lens: Lumix 20mm f1.7
ISO: 3200
Aperture: 1.7
Exposure Time 1/50

pringles

I've been sick and pretty much in bed for the past week while at the same time studying for finals, so I wasn't able to go out and get anything for this assignment.
Nice work as always from everyone.

1) edgefusion - love this shot.
2) Squirrel Killer - this captured the most "emotion" of all the entries imo.

edgefusion

1) The Wispy Scoundrel - Lovely lighting and a relatable photograph.
2) ronitoswife - It's easy to imagine the kind of eager suspense those two kids must be feeling!

1st - The Wispy Scoundrel.
2nd - RefigeKru.

Both really great portraits, and show a lot of emotion.

I was going to submit something for this, but I forgot the deadline. Maybe next time.

1. JLateralus
2. ChrisZ

Honourable mentions:
VNZ: Forgot to take your headphones off :lol
RefigeKru: More "attitude" to me rather than "emotion".
Stalfos

Zyzyxxz

1. Jlateralus - laughing babies make me laugh
2. Stalfos - I saw that statue last summer and now you show it to me in a way I did not see it in person before. Good stuff!

Both are great and there were many that were kind of hard to choose from.

VNZ

1. edgefusion
2. Squirrel Killer

Tough subject that requires time, timing, circumstance, people, luc... But still some really good pictures! Counting the votes at about midnight, european time.

VNZ

The results are in!

1. JLateralus, 25P

dsea.jpg

2. edgefusion, 15P

4612165723_3458f427a9_o.jpg

3. Squirrel Killer, 10P

4614261120_ba7a573b0d.jpg

3. captive, 10P

5. stalfos, 9P
6. The Wispy Scoundrel, 6P
7. ChryZ, 2P
8. chaostrophy, 1P
8. ronitoswife, 1P
8. RefigeKru, 1P

Happiness won! And JLateralus. :) Congratulations!

Looking forward to the next assignment (hopefully I'll have the time to pull out the camera again soon)!

VNZ, if you don't mind editing your post, it's tradition that the first, second, and third place winning photos are posted again. :) Congrats to Jlateralus, edgefusion, Squirrel Killer, and captive!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Congrats JLateralus.

I submitted my photo on a whim, after my original idea of some sort of fire or flame didn't pan out, never thought i'd tie for 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom