• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Announces Monopoly Streets for Wii/360/PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/58304/

For the first time ever, players will experience MONOPOLY, one of the world’s favorite family game brands, as a fully dynamic, living, 3D world that continuously evolves with the video game action. Additionally, MONOPOLY Streets will feature online multiplayer and unique downloadable content for Xbox360 and PlayStation 3 players around the world. Scheduled to launch in the Autumn of 2010, the experience will offer an assortment of features that add to the thrill of becoming a MONOPOLY real estate mogul. Hasbro’s classic MONOPOLY will also be available on the Nintendo DS™ in conjunction with the release of MONOPOLY Streets.

In recognition of the MONOPOLY brand entertaining families around the globe for 75 years, MONOPOLY Streets will offer players the ability to become completely immersed within a MONOPOLY-themed world, re-imagined to experience the game at street level. Developing properties within high rent districts will produce lavish houses and hotels that appear within the world and further substantiate its visual appeal, while developing in the less expensive areas provide more modest, but no less interesting, establishments. The game will also feature player-owned headquarters that rise and fall along with the Player’s fortunes – large and luxurious when winning, stunted and minuscule when losing. For purists, MONOPOLY Streets will offer classic game board modes, as well.

MONOPOLY Streets will come loaded with an array of imaginative twists such as the ability to establish “house rules” where players can save their own set of customized rules tailored to their group of friends. In addition, players will be able to create and play as their own Wii Mii™ or Xbox 360 avatar, and have the city populated by their friend’s Wii Mii or Xbox 360 avatars. Online play will also ratchet up the fun allowing players to find and challenge other aspiring moguls while tracking ranking and progress on local, national and world leaderboards. Additionally, the game will feature an assortment of downloadable content such as a variety of themed boards, characters, tokens and avatar gear.

“We’re taking Hasbro’s No. 1 family game brand and masterfully striking the balance of offering the classic MONOPOLY play experience and adding a spectacular new visual treatment as we bring the classic board to life with players walking the streets of MONOPOLY,” said Chip Lange, General Manager and Senior Vice President of EA’s Hasbro Division. “ MONOPOLY Streets will bring people together and connect families all over the world by offering online gameplay through their gaming consoles. We think this unique, combined offering will bring families together around the TV this holiday season for a classic family gaming tradition they’ll remember for years to come.”

In addition, EA will further extend its MONOPOLY franchise with MONOPOLY City, currently in development for Pogo.com. At launch, players will be able to download the game from www.pogo.com for instant fun on the PC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
no price mentioned means it's going to be near full price

dlc to unlock new board types means that a) the game comes with relatively few and b) that the "board types" will just be new skins rather than implementing the rules changes that would come with the variants

at least they seem to have axed the 5 fps flash minigames and added online play and avatar support.

groan

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DLC? For what, new boards and character pieces?

Hah, it helps to read the whole thing.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I worked on this game for a while! (before they moved me to another project, lol)

Can you imagine hearing your opponent in your headset patting himself on the back for buying up all your property?.......I want this game now

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If it's not like Monopoly Tycoon (the only really decent game associated with the Monopoly brand), not interested!

Burai

shitonmychest57
retired-radko-ornaments-mr-monopoly-car.jpg

They see me rollin, they hatin'.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Is this game going to be like Sim City where you have to develop the towns? Didn't want to wade through the press release.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Truespeed said:
Just out of curiosity, did it involve moving boxes? ;)

I dont even know what that means.

For the record though, good friend of mine Brandon Dayton is the concept artist, and hes great .. so at last know that the concept art is neat :)

Oh, and we all hate the previous Monopoly game with a fucking passion.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ShockingAlberto said:
Not gonna lie, was kinda hoping this would be a terribly conceived "urban" monopoly.

Yeah I was trying to figure out how EA could think a basketball game with Monopoly characters would attract ppl...

Truespeed

Raging Spaniard said:
I dont even know what that means.

For the record though, good friend of mine Brandon Dayton is the concept artist, and hes great .. so at last know that the concept art is neat :)

Oh, and we all hate the previous Monopoly game with a fucking passion.

It's a Jeff Green reference. It's one of the tasks they had him do. The background behind the story is hilarious.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Interesting they are including the board game too -

For purists, MONOPOLY Streets will offer classic game board modes, as well.

I am looking forward to this one for the online play.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Eggo said:
Is this game going to be like Sim City where you have to develop the towns? Didn't want to wade through the press release.
Just play Monopoly Tycoon instead!

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I'd like to see Acquire turned into an electronic version. Monopoly is a classic that everyone knows, but Acquire has more depth.

acquire.jpg

Safe Bet

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
Can you imagine hearing your opponent in your headset patting himself on the back for buying up all your property?.......I want this game now
I hope it supports web-cams...

"I'll show you my tits for Marvin Gardens."

;)

vazel said:
An online mode! Really stupid to leave it out of the last game.

And is the main reason I ain't supporting this for I own the last game...

That said, if they are smart: they will release board DLCs similar to that of Zen Pinball with game specific boards or product specific boards; and that people you face online don't need to own the board that you own i.e. each player should be given a choice to choose his own board and the game will just recognize the difference. e.g. If Player A owns a Star Wars board and Player B owns a Marvel Comics board, they will not be forced to download the opponent's board and can just play with their own.

You know what, if this happens, I MIGHT just buy the game...

OH AND CALLED IT! Called it that EA is making a new monopoly game and that buying that PS3 Minis game is useless unless you prefer offline...

DrDogg

I'd still rather have the original Monopoly on XBLA with online support... especially since they're releasing the original on DS at the same time as this game.

I guess if it plays like Monopoly and doesn't feel like GTA with a Monopoly back story... and isn't $60, then I may give it a shot.

Raging Spaniard

DrDogg said:
I guess if it plays like Monopoly and doesn't feel like GTA with a Monopoly back story... and isn't $60, then I may give it a shot.

GTA what? Nobody here knows wtf Kotaku was smoking when they compared our game to GTA III. Worst analogy ever.

Dresden

"You've received a presidential pardon for blackmailing him about his affair with the gay rentboy in a Texas ranch. Get out of Jail Free."

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
That's actually not bad looking, but this game needs to retail at the max $30 or it's going to bomb (even at $30 that's a lot)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ShockingAlberto said:
Not gonna lie, was kinda hoping this would be a terribly conceived "urban" monopoly.
I was hoping it would be Monopoly: The Game of the Movie of the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom