• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: Pac-Man celebrates 30th birthday with Pac-Man Party

Filling a wide-open gap in the Wii's software library.

2qd3bic.jpg

Mike Snider said:
LOS ANGELES — Pac-Man is throwing his own 30th birthday party.
The first new Pac-Man game in five years —Pac-Man Party, due this fall for Nintendo Wii and set to be unveiled this week at the Electronic Entertainment Expo — has more than ghosts to keep him busy this time.

The game has more than 45 mini-games that let Pac-Man take part in everything from curling and tennis to a king-of-the-mountain-style game and, of course, evading and chasing those pastel-colored ghosts Pinky, Blinky, Inky and Clyde.

An overarching story mode lets you guide Pac-Man over a variety of locales (green meadow, desert, snowy mountains) laid out on a Monopoly-style game board. As the ghosts chase Pac-Man across the board, he dives in and out of the various games. The goal: Help Mr. Cookie save his secret recipe. Players also can go straight to whatever mini-game they choose.

Considering the success of social party games on the Wii, a Pac-Man-themed party game is timely. "We've definitely taken the Pac-Man themes and concept and expanded them to make Pac-Man relevant for the current generation of gamer," Thorson says. "Going the party game route is right in line with the audience and who will have fun playing it, both parents and kids. It's very family-friendly."

The new game will include as a bonus the original arcade version of Pac-Man, along with Galaga and Dig-Dug.

"People have a real attachment to that game," Thorson says. "That Pac-Man fever still runs through today."

With only two more years until life day, PAC MAN has decided to waste what little time he has left. This should be some ultimate CE edition, not just Mario Party.

Pac-Man Fever was a wasted opportunity (though it had some decent ideas.) I'm not expecting much more from this other than the potential a seemingly higher budget brings.

256px-Pac-Man_Fever_box_art.jpg

fernoca

And then that guy at Bandai-Namco complains about games not selling.
Though anything's better than announcing Soulcalibur Legends 2.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The new game will include as a bonus the original arcade version of Pac-Man, along with Galaga and Dig-Dug.

Well, at least there's that.

And at least this crap isn't on the 3DS.

Is this USA Todays punishment for leaking the Natal-Kinect story and games?--to report crummy news like this?!

jk

Anyway, if their concerned with making money why are they keeping pacman wii exclusive? lol.

Daigoro

"We've definitely taken the Pac-Man themes and concept and expanded them to make Pac-Man relevant for the current generation of gamer," Thorson says.

wow, yeah you guys are really in touch.

you've got your fingers on the pulse of today's modern gamer!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I wanted an awesome Pac-Man Vs. type re-imagining. At least a nice Pac-Man CE.

What the fuck, Namco. Guess it was to be expected.

Beth Cyra

I swear to god that whole things about making the game relevant to "today's gamers" better not mean giving Pac Man the Bomberman Act Zero makeover.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
XiaNaphryz said:
A Pac-Man Battle Royale version for console would've been fine.

Hell, or make an updated version of Pac-Man Vs for Wiiware with DS support. The GC/GBA one was an awesome party game.
I bought a copy of R:Racing Evolution for GC at Toys R Us for $2. It came with a copy of Pac-Man Vs. I prefer to think I bought a copy of Pac-Man Vs. but it came with a free copy of a crappy racing game.

I completely forgot about Battle Royale too...I'd love an XBLA/PSN port.

Namco better announce some Tales games coming to America along with this...

(To be fair, last time they tried freaky stuff with Pac-man, they made Pac-man 2, and that's pretty fun.)

Penguin

XiaNaphryz said:
A Pac-Man Battle Royale version for console would've been fine.

Hell, or make an updated version of Pac-Man Vs for Wiiware with DS support. The GC/GBA one was an awesome party game.

I think if they really wanted a Pac-Man Party.

Bundle Pac-Man Vs, Pac-Man Battle Royale with Pac-Man CE and you got yourself a golden package.

KAP151

Daigoro said:
wow, yeah you guys are really in touch.

you've got your fingers on the pulse of today's modern gamer!

:lol

Precisely what I though. Seriously, who are they fooling?

1-D_FTW

This is USA Today's big article for today? I guess Nintendo isn't giving them an interview. No 3DS reveal spoiled. Not sure if I'm disappointed or happy.

GDGF

Soothsayer
1-D_FTW said:
This is USA Today's big article for today? I guess Nintendo isn't giving them an interview. No 3DS reveal spoiled. Not sure if I'm disappointed or happy.

Be happy. We've made it to the end with no leaks. The 3DS reveal is completely unspoiled. Tomorrow will kick ass.

I should probably get some sleep.

Why would you do that? said:
Namco better announce some Tales games coming to America along with this...

(To be fair, last time they tried freaky stuff with Pac-man, they made Pac-man 2, and that's pretty fun.)

Tales of Vesperia PS3 first
And a new game starring the favorite Wonder Chef!

In fairness, if the original was released today, it'd be a mini-game.

Oh, and Pac-Man Vs was awesome. Almost worth getting out the annoying hardware requirements to play it.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
They should have ported Pac-Man Battle Royale to PSN and XBLA or something. Anything else would have been better than another party game.

stuminus3

Banned
I don't get why this is so hard.

Take Pac-Man CE. Fuse it together with Pac-Man VS. Online high-score tables for single-player CE style gameplay, online multiplayer for the VS component. Release on Wii and DS (even if it's just downloadable).

Greatest game ever, just like that. Stupid Namco. :-/

entremet

The Take Out Bandit said:
Yep!

How about a proper Pac-Man re-release, or PAC-MAN HD REMIX! :O Come on, that would be the easiest thing on the planet.
Championship Edition? Though, I would love a PSN version to play it again for trophies.

Snaku

Banned
Make a psychological thriller based on that t-shirt Madness of Mission 6. That's a Pac Man game I'd play.

Top Bottom