• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

soldat7

25pimtc.gif

mi0xs0.gif

(resized from derFeef's amazing gifs)​

204e4l.gif

2qd39cw.gif

20a9t1g.gif

208a689.gif

33uzyux.gif

2i8vmdx.gif

b6eb83.gif

35bvwy1.gif

15s272e.gif

iwnknq.gif

2igemis.gif

21bt8ww.gif

4kidkg.gif

2rdx8bs.gif

33ah0kl.gif

xnyqfr.gif

264qq9t.gif

29nxop1.gif

2ciluu.gif

2ym7uzd.gif

zydavl.gif

9bhfrp.png

*Reviews Pending. For now here's Metacritic and GameRankings

Code:
Planet Xbox 360   	        07/05/10  	9 out of 10  	90.00%
XboxAddict 	                07/05/10 	9 out of 10 	90.00%
Gaming Target 	                07/05/10 	9 out of 10 	90.00%
GamingTrend 	                07/05/10 	89 out of 100 	89.00%
Digital Chumps 	                07/05/10 	8.8 out of 10 	88.00%
Game Revolution 	        07/05/10 	B+ 	        85.00%
Da GameBoyz 	                07/05/10 	8.5 out of 10 	85.00%
NZGamer 	                07/05/10 	8.3 out of 10 	83.00%
CVG UK 	                        07/05/10 	8.3 out of 10 	83.00%
ZTGameDomain                    07/06/10 	8 out of 10 	80.00%
Edge Magazine UK 	        07/06/10 	8 out of 10 	80.00%
OXM UK 	                        07/05/10 	8 out of 10 	80.00%
Hardcore Gamer  	        07/05/10 	4 out of 5 	80.00%
Eurogamer 	                07/05/10 	8 out of 10 	80.00%
GameFocus 	                07/05/10 	8 out of 10 	80.00%
play.tm 	                07/05/10 	80 out of 100 	80.00%
IGN 	                        07/05/10 	7.5 out of 10 	75.00%
1UP 	                        07/05/10 	B- 	75.00%
***** 	                        07/05/10 	7.5 out of 10 	75.00%

fernoca

Nice thread...
You should add that Perfect Dark owners can unlock a skin in multiplayer, just by having a save from Crackdown 2.

Shurs

I've put about eight hours into the game over the last two days.Can't wait to share my thoughts on Monday.

MrDaravon

Looking forward to this on Tuesday. Overall I'm very slightly down based on the demo, but even if that maintains through the full game multiplayer hilarity with my friends will more than make up for that. Wish I could have found it early, I'm off Monday :(

DevelopmentArrested said:
Played it for 2 hours so far..

it's a 7/10. Too expansion-y.

This is what I was worried about, but I haven't played the original Crackdown in a long time so I think it'll still feel fresh for me. Man this game is gonna get me to buy an Xbox360-slim.

soldat7

cjelly said:
Nice OP, bar the old boxart. :)

Ah...Does it have the new swoosh thingy? I can't find any other pics.

Thanks for the comments! (my first |OT|) Feel free to leave feedback and I'll update the OP tomorrow. I'm done for today. :lol

RS4-

Shurs said:
I've put about eight hours into the game over the last two days.Can't wait to share my thoughts on Monday.

any idea where I can get uhh, the wingsuit; I just burned through the game and did all the beacons because fuck, some of the tactical areas are bullshit late game :lol

edit - nm, I should have done some reading, I just need level 5 agility lol.

JdFoX187

Banned
I normally don't say this -- but that is an awesome OP.

Stoked for this game. I hope to beat Singularity before it comes out.

Shurs

shouamabane said:
The lack of reviews of this game disturbs me.

Red Dead Redemption's reviews were also embargoed until just before it came out, and it has a Meta-score of 95.

kamspy

I agree with the expansion sentiment. The demo didn't show me anything I did see in Crackdown aside from some zombies.

That said, the original Crackdown and the elements added for Crackdown 2 are enough to make me super pumped to play this next week.

Maybe I'll try some Crackdown co-op for the first time. I was super LTTP for the first one and went through solo. If any gaffers are looking to play through the campaign with on a mutually flexible schedule with an awesome dude in eastern USA, shoot me a PM. Play time for me would be between 4-7PM and 9-Midnight EST.

gdt

Maybe I'll get this. I got Crackdown way late, and while I enjoyed it (especially the rpg elements) it had no engaging central narrative./progression system. So, when I was forced to kill those dudes, the game kind of fell flat. The best part was orb hunting/leveling up. Once I finished that, however....

I know I'll get it eventually, but I doubt I'll be there day one.

Edit: Oh, and the driving sucks balls. There was like no reason to step foot in a car (which all controled pretty much like shit anyway) as soon as you upped your speed/jumping.

Hopefully the sequel makes driving...better/more useful, I guess.

Shurs said:
Red Dead Redemption's reviews were also embargoed until just before it came out, and it has a Meta-score of 95.

I'm not worried about review scores. I'd like to read some reviews in time to either place my pre-order on Amazon, decide to pass on the game, or decide to wait for the price to drop. Late embargoes and exclusive DLC items suck for potential buyers of games.

Okay, so I've cleared out a few more Cells (HEY GAME DEVELOPERS? JUST A HEADS UP? NO ONE ON FUCKING EARTH LIKES TERRITORIES THAT GANGS CAN GET BACK AFTER YOU DEFEAT THEM AND TAKE IT OVER. FUCKING. NO ONE.) (Yes, I can avoid this by making sure I take out the adjacent Cell but there have been instances where the one closest to that Cell is part of a totally different Cell...cell and by the time I clear that one out, the one I just cleared is taken over and oh my fucking god no one likes this. Not one person.) and activated two beacons and am around level 3 on all my stats and, oh yes, there it is. There's my Chippy. Crackton is back.

Complaints of an expansion are a little mind boggling. Yes, it's the same city. It's a sequel. There are new weapons, new enemies, new everything. The mission structure absolutely fantastic, and a lot of it has to do with the fact that it's on the same islands. When you fight through an entire oil rig of motherfuckers that in the previous game only led to a boss and now is only one part of a three part mission that will lead you ultimately to the fourth part and a completely different mission requirement, it feels a lot more engaging and active.

The one thing that's overall still off feeling is the climbing. It's certainly not broken by any means, but that intangible perfection of grabbing a ledge in Crackton is just a hair off, tarnished. In the original, you could spot a grabbable ledge from way far away but here I've found myself a few times wondering why I couldn't grab a certain outcropping. Also, and maybe this is just because I'm only a level 3, the old tried and true jump up and around to grab the ledge at the top of an outcropping above you doesn't seem to work.

Also, the aiming needs work. It's always latching onto a car or something when I want to shoot a bastard.

That being said, every (EVERY) addition adds to the core game immensely. Renegade orbs are fantastic, the mission structure is so well done, and the new weapons are fucking glorious. The UV Shotgun, turrets, *MWAH* j'taime.

More proof that the game is fantastically structured is that I've only ventured to two sections of Olde Volk so far and have no interest to see anything else. The game excels at giving you plenty of stuff to do in your immediate surroundings, plenty of orbs, plenty to conquer before you even want to think of moving on.

I played one game of multiplayer arena and had no idea what was going on and why I was getting murdered constantly. Seems kind of like an afterthought.

As fun as the game is now, I think it's going to be something else entirely when playing with some chums this week.

If Crackton is 10/10, Crackton 2 is 8.5/10 WITHOUT including co-op in the score. I have a feeling once that's added, it will be 11/10.

Rainier

Awesome OP. That first graphic with the orbs of gaf! :lol

Look forward to playing this asap, damn Steam sale has created a backlog.

JdFoX187

Banned
For those of you that have the game, are you still stuck with a helmeted agent? I don't understand the point of the face customization if it gets covered up with an ugly ass helmet the first time you level up.

JdFoX187 said:
For those of you that have the game, are you still stuck with a helmeted agent? I don't understand the point of the face customization if it gets covered up with an ugly ass helmet the first time you level up.

Which is the ugly one? Mine looks sick as hell. Can you change them or something? The four faces you start off with are all bland as shit anyway.

JdFoX187

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Which is the ugly one? Mine looks sick as hell. Can you change them or something? The four faces you start off with are all bland as shit anyway.
Are there helmet options? I know the demo was limited in what was available, but there was only three faces and armor color. I want my fucking viking warrior...damn you Ruffian :lol

Gravijah

BenjaminBirdie said:
Okay, so I've cleared out a few more Cells (HEY GAME DEVELOPERS? JUST A HEADS UP? NO ONE ON FUCKING EARTH LIKES TERRITORIES THAT GANGS CAN GET BACK AFTER YOU DEFEAT THEM AND TAKE IT OVER. FUCKING. NO ONE.)

I kind of do. :lol I even did that weird glitch in San Andreas that made everything a gang territory.

Being quite possibly one of the worlds biggest fans of the first game, I was really bummed out by the demo. All the objective stuff just seems to get in the way of what made the first game great, it seems like Ruffian went way overboard on the orbs, and the graphics and shooting seemed like a step down. I'm going to have to wait for the reviews on this one.

Mush

I only recently got around to playing the original and it was fuck awesome. I might wait a bit before jumping in on the sequel. As many have said, the Freaks seem out of place. :/

TheFallen

Mush said:
I only recently got around to playing the original and it was fuck awesome. I might wait a bit before jumping in on the sequel. As many have said, the Freaks seem out of place. :/
They appeared briefly in the first, how is it out of place?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mush said:
I really hope there are freaks that could actually kick your ass 1 on 1. My biggest issue with the original is that it was too easy after your agent leveled up, removing some of the incentive for co-op.

SapientWolf said:
I really hope there are freaks that could actually kick your ass 1 on 1. My biggest issue with the original is that it was too easy after your agent leveled up, removing some of the incentive for co-op.

Crackdown 2 SPOILERS regarding the Freaks

I've seen a guy on Justin TV getting RAPED by these HUGE freaks combo'd with some super high jumping freaks. I'm sure those will be quite enough for you

And forget review scores. I'm sure this will get mid 7's to mid 8's all over the place, and people will claim how much worse it is than the first, but the demo was still a ton of fun in co-op and that's all that matters to me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Net_Wrecker said:

I've seen a guy on Justin TV getting RAPED by these HUGE freaks combo'd with some super high jumping freaks. I'm sure those will be quite enough for you

And forget review scores. I'm sure this will get mid 7's to mid 8's all over the place, and people will claim how much worse it is than the first, but the demo was still a ton of fun in co-op and that's all that matters to me.
\o/

Kibbles

Net_Wrecker said:

This so much. I don't know how Crackdown 1 did with reviews, but it kicked ass and was so much fun I didn't even bother checking out the scores it got.

Top Bottom