• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad video game ("very violent," DC Universe) in development

It was confirmed by Geoff Johns at his SDCC panel. No details, other than that it will be "very violent."

For those who aren't familiar with the property (the version that people care about, anyway):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Squad

Wikipedia said:
The second Suicide Squad is a covert black ops government strike team. The team is partially made up of imprisoned supervillains who agree to serve as expendable agents performing extremely dangerous missions, which are officially denied by the US Government using the prisoners' participation as rationale to claim that the incidents are merely attacks by criminals, in return for a full pardon for their actions, similar to the latest incarnation of the Marvel Comics team The Thunderbolts. This served as an explanation for the seeming revolving door justice in the DC Universe where a villain would be defeated and captured by a hero only to turn up free again a short time later. In addition, there are other non-prisoner members such as Nemesis and Nightshade who participate in the team as part of individual arrangements. The Suicide Squad operate out of Belle Reve prison in Louisiana.

To prevent members escaping in the field, the prisoners are shackled with an explosive bracelet that will detonate a certain distance from the field leader, who was typically Rick Flag, who wore a remote control that could detonate or disengage the bracelets as desired. The deadly martial artist called the Bronze Tiger acts as a backup disciplinary measure, and later, with the death of Rick Flag, as field leader of the team.

The group is largely run by Amanda Waller, although at times someone else acts as a cover for her, especially after the existence of the Suicide Squad becomes public. Eventually, the Suicide Squad leaves the government's control and becomes a freelance operation.

Wonder who's developing it, but an M-rated DC Universe squad action game could be sort of cool.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Aw, I got this confused with Secret Six, and was sort of let down when the realization of my mistake sunk in.

Ponn

Banned
This...just odd. I am personally very interested in this, but its just an incredibly odd choice. An extremely niche fan base with no real high profile characters. It will have to be an incredibly kick ass comic book game of Batman AA levels with ALOT of advertising and build up.

Ponn01 said:
This...just odd. I am personally very interested in this, but its just an incredibly odd choice. An extremely niche fan base with no real high profile characters. It will have to be an incredibly kick ass comic book game of Batman AA levels with ALOT of advertising and build up.

Very true, assuming it features a B- and C-list roster like the comics, but the game will also be out of proper DCU continuity - WB could include some more recognizable villains like Lex Luthor or the Joker for name recognition, as much as that might horrify fans of the original comics.

G-Fex

Shig said:
Aw, I got this confused with Secret Six, and was sort of let down when the realization of my mistake sunk in.

Yup, I'd love a secret six game, I haven't read the comics since the mini but is it still Catman, Ragdoll, etc?

G-Fex said:
Yup, I'd love a secret six game, I haven't read the comics since the mini but is it still Catman, Ragdoll, etc?
Mostly, there's some flux though-- Bane has been on the roster and there have been some other comings and goings, but Catman, Deadshot, Ragdoll and Scandal are still in the book.

Milabrega

WB Games Publishing? I hope so I like how they are expanding in the games industry and using their portfolio of properties to do it.

Milabrega said:
WB Games Publishing? I hope so I like how they are expanding in the games industry and using their portfolio of properties to do it.

Thanks Geoff Johns for that. It's what he was hired to do. :D

ReiGun

I've heard of the Suicide Squad, but I've never read anything really involving them. So I headed to wikipedia, and it looks like a ton DC characters have been in this group. They've certainly got some options for this game. I'm interested.

daebo

I personally LOVE it. I think there is a lot of potential out there that hasn't been tapped. I really think the second or third tier characters actually have a better chance at making great games because then there isn't a lot to live up to. THank god Batman: AA was great. I'm totally stoked.

Top Bottom