• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine (Atlus - PS3/360) website open

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I AM JOHN! said:
I continue to be baffled by why people are so concerned that this won't be brought over. It's the first HD game developed by the mothership, and done by the team behind their most successful franchise, and yet Atlus US, a company who trades on pleasing their fans and making profits off of ridiculously low shipment runs, would balk at the chance to localize it? Crazy talk.

Sex stuff, dude. Of course, they did allow Mara to be in Persona 3/4, but that's probably because no one made a fuss over a penis riding a chariot.

I guarantee the boxart won't be that photo in the US. Wal-mart and Fox news would throw a shit fit. ESRB could go either way.

mollipen

Vamphuntr said:
The HE stands out probably because his head is there on the poster beneath the ''HE''...

No no... look closer at the word "Catherine": it has what seem to be very specific breaks in how the letters come together. Almost like it says "C at he r i n e".

So, the first part: "C at he". C, aka "see", aka look. "Look at he" or, more exactly, "look at him". Saying that we think Catherine is a female, but if we really "see" her, we'll realize that she's a he. Then, the next part: "r i n e". "R", or "are". "i" is of course "I", or a reference to the both the main character (storeline-wise) and the player (control-wise). "n", or "in". And then finally "e"... which, if we think about slang, "E" is shorthand for the drug ecstasy.

Thus, the second part is "Are I in ecstasy", which seems to be a question the character - and the player - will both be asking themselves. So, we may initially think that "Catherine" is the name of the game, and the name of the main female character, but it's also hidden code revealing one of the main elements of the game: if we see Catherine for what she really is, when that truth is revealed to us, we may find ourselves obtaining the desire we've longed for but never really knew we had.

shidoshi said:
No no... look closer at the word "Catherine": it has what seem to be very specific breaks in how the letters come together. Almost like it says "C at he r i n e".

So, the first part: "C at he". C, aka "see", aka look. "Look at he" or, more exactly, "look at him". Saying that we think Catherine is a female, but if we really "see" her, we'll realize that she's a he. Then, the next part: "r i n e". "R", or "are". "i" is of course "I", or a reference to the both the main character (storeline-wise) and the player (control-wise). "n", or "in". And then finally "e"... which, if we think about slang, "E" is shorthand for the drug ecstasy.

Thus, the second part is "Are I in ecstasy", which seems to be a question the character - and the player - will both be asking themselves. So, we may initially think that "Catherine" is the name of the game, and the name of the main female character, but it's also hidden code revealing one of the main elements of the game: if we see Catherine for what she really is, when that truth is revealed to us, we may find ourselves obtaining the desire we've longed for but never really knew we had.

I give this a 7/10 for effort.

Crimson-Legend said:
So anyone want to predict what the sales will be for this?

In Japan, definitely above 100k...not sure if it can reach 200k though.

shidoshi said:
I really hadn't noticed how much the "HE" stands out in the logo until you said that. That, or you've now put that suggestion into my brain, and it's standing out because of you!

Actually the 'RINE' is bolded too.

So either the CHERINE is an anagram for something or it has something to do with cats. :lol

OMG, she's a catgirl!

TheSeks said:
Sex stuff, dude. Of course, they did allow Mara to be in Persona 3/4, but that's probably because no one made a fuss over a penis riding a chariot.

Don't forget the tentacle pubes.

yami4ct

I was worried and disappointed when this was announced and wasn't a traditional Persona-style RPG. After seeing the trailer, though, I'm pretty excited. This definitely seems to be a much more experimental game for Atlus. They're doing everything they can't/won't do in Persona presumably due to their high school characters. Also seems to be a test of the engine that's sure to be used for P5. I'm still a bit cautious until we actually see what the battle system's going to be like. Hey, even if it's a complete failure, it'll give us an idea of what P5 will look like so that's worth something.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
20 hours to complete on a first run.
Been in development for 2 years.
Fully voiced with multiple endings. Difficulty settings will be available.
Can't comment on a HD Persona entry.

From an interview in Famitsu 360.

yami4ct

The 20 hour playtime is expected given it's an action RPG. Wonder what it'll play like? I suppose we can also assume that means it'll be more linear as well. I don't really mind that. As long as it's a good story, I don't think I'll care about the lack of choice. Any bets on whether or not S.Links are going to be dropped. I know it's not a Persona game, but it's related. Personally, I don't think we'll see them. Not enough time in this shorter style RPG.

Kagari said:

What I want to know is whether it's just the Persona team working on Catherine as a warm-up for P5 PS360 or whether they also have a second team working on a new SMT core series game on consoles.

Giolon

Kagari said:
20 hours to complete on a first run.
Been in development for 2 years.
Fully voiced with multiple endings. Difficulty settings will be available.

From an interview in Famitsu 360.

DO WANT. This game seems interesting too. "Only" 20 hours though? Huh...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
yami4ct said:
I was worried and disappointed when this was announced and wasn't a traditional Persona-style RPG. After seeing the trailer, though, I'm pretty excited. This definitely seems to be a much more experimental game for Atlus. They're doing everything they can't/won't do in Persona presumably due to their high school characters. Also seems to be a test of the engine that's sure to be used for P5. I'm still a bit cautious until we actually see what the battle system's going to be like. Hey, even if it's a complete failure, it'll give us an idea of what P5 will look like so that's worth something.

I know it's Persona's "thing" but I would really love if Persona 5 dropped the highschool setting and "graduated" to university or something. It would be fitting for the first HD entry and would open up whole new dynamics and more mature storylines. You could choose your career path and course selection which would alter your entire schedule and what characters you can become close to (studying together, etc), and maybe influence what skills you excel at in battle. It would be so much more interesting than doing yet another year at Persona-high.

While I'm dreaming I'd like a pony. This is Japan and anything after high-school essentially doesn't exist. =\

luka said:
While I'm dreaming I'd like a pony. This is Japan and anything after high-school essentially doesn't exist. =\

Well yeah. After High-school you suddenly age ten years and become the obligatory "old man" when JRPGs start recruiting. Life is basically over by that point.

Oh and good on Atlus for this game being 20 hours. It'll be more like 15 which is perfect. Anything more and it's obvious they're using some sort of padding like phat loot and grinding.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
charlequin said:
What I want to know is whether it's just the Persona team working on Catherine as a warm-up for P5 PS360 or whether they also have a second team working on a new SMT core series game on consoles.

More importantly, where is my Devil Survivor 2?

luka said:
I know it's Persona's "thing" but I would really love if Persona 5 dropped the highschool setting and "graduated" to university or something. It would be fitting for the first HD entry and would open up whole new dynamics and more mature storylines.

Barf.

HK-47 said:
More importantly, where is my Devil Survivor 2?

Announced for 3DS?

tokkun

luka said:
I know it's Persona's "thing" but I would really love if Persona 5 dropped the highschool setting and "graduated" to university or something. It would be fitting for the first HD entry and would open up whole new dynamics and more mature storylines. You could choose your career path and course selection which would alter your entire schedule and what characters you can become close to (studying together, etc), and maybe influence what skills you excel at in battle. It would be so much more interesting than doing yet another year at Persona-high.

Other than choosing classes, the setting of Persona 3 is already a lot more like most people's experience of going to a University than to high school; moving to a new city, living in a dorm, rapidly making a lot of new friends, having the freedom to choose what you want to do each day, no parental oversight, needing to discover a balance between studying and social events, and so forth.

I'd gladly welcome an older cast for the next Persona game. It would fit the pattern for the series too as P1, P2:IS and P2:EP pretty much took that route. While I find the trials and tribulations of the teen angst crowd amusing, I'm interested in the life of adults or even young adults in Japan trying to make their way...

Fuu said:
Was that directed at the university idea or the 'fitting for the first HD entry'?

The latter.

tokkun said:
Other than choosing classes, the setting of Persona 3 is already a lot more like most people's experience of going to a University than to high school; moving to a new city, living in a dorm, rapidly making a lot of new friends, having the freedom to choose what you want to do each day, no parental oversight, needing to discover a balance between studying and social events, and so forth.

Knocking boots with naive yet sexually alluring co-eds... Getting drunk and making a complete fool of yourself for the first time... Battling an ancient and unimaginably powerful personification of death for the existence of all reality... yeah, that sounds like college to me.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
luka said:
I appreciate the input. :lol

It didn't sound as lame in my head. :p

zthsgl.jpg

TreIII said:
P2: EP remains my favorite game in the series. I wouldn't mind another shot at such a game that utilized a similar group dynamic.

Innocent Sin!

But yes, a IS/EP game (IS especially) is vastly more appealing to me than another P3/P4.

TreIII

Freyjadour said:
Innocent Sin!

But yes, a IS/EP game (IS especially) is vastly more appealing to me than another P3/P4.

Nope, I meant what I said. EP focused on Maya and other young adults, while IS was still a game that focused predominantly on High Schoolers. Probably a more interesting bunch than the crews we got for P3 and P4, but High Schoolers all the same...

TreIII said:
Nope, I meant what I said. EP focused on Maya and other young adults, while IS was still a game that focused predominantly on High Schoolers. Probably a more interesting bunch than the crews we got for P3 and P4, but High Schoolers all the same...

It wasn't the focus in any case though. I absolutely love the IS crew and their backstory. The story was less about their current lives and more about their past. The whole high-school thing kinda goes out the window pretty early on more or less.

Freyjadour said:
It wasn't the focus in any case though. I absolutely love the IS crew and their backstory. The story was less about their current lives and more about their past. The whole high-school thing kinda goes out the window pretty early on more or less.

Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment to a lesser extent had superb story lines that were beyond anything the recent Persona games have been able to come up with.

My (and maybe your!) Persona mantra: "You don't give people what they think they want, you give them what they didn' t know they wanted." ~ Stan Lee and Steve Ditko

I AM JOHN! said:
Oh Gee, I wonder why.

YES YES YESSSSSS!!!

It's going to 3DS, you just watch. MUWAHAHAHA

Anywho, wtf is that trailer all about? Nice to see we'll be getting away from the sexually frustrated kids of P4 :lol

Giolon said:

Twenty hours sounds fine. P3 and P4 dragged on for far too long as it was, so I'll be pretty happy if Catherine (and future games) cut out a lot of the bloat.

kman3000

Giolon said:
Well this is an action/adventure game instead of an RPG though. So 20 hours with multiple endings is actually pretty good.

Green Scar said:
It's going to 3DS, you just watch. MUWAHAHAHA

Anywho, wtf is that trailer all about? Nice to see we'll be getting away from the sexually frustrated kids of P4 :lol
There was only Yosuke and
Mitsuo
. :p

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Grimmy said:
New info (and pics) from Andriasang. Includes the first plot description! Those hands are scary :eek:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/24/catherine_nemesis/

In Catherine, ambition-free salaryman Vincent starts experiencing strange nightmares after he meets his flirtatious dream girl Catherine one day.

In the nightmares, he finds himself surrounded by lambs. And it looks like he's started to take on some lamb-like properties himself.

So... David Cronenberg is going to get the film rights?

HK-47 said:
Umm Kanji?
Kanji's a different animal, really. You tell me sexually frustrated, I think "trying to get some but failing miserably at every turn" (i.e., Yosuke to a T). Kanji's too busy being bi-curious to be that (though I guess he could be too, I don't know). I guess Teddie counts too, but he's too much of an innocent dunce to know what "scoring" really is aside from that he wants to do it.

Besides, considering vegetarian is slang for someone with no sexual drive, aren't we just trading sexually frustrated teens for sexually frustrated adults? :lol

Jerk

Banned
shidoshi said:
What... what is this?

I know it will garner me much disdain, but I cannot stand the first person view.

It contributed heavily into me not finishing Devil Survivor and Strange Journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom