• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

4920777120_b85ce06b76_b.jpg

This is my first Official Thread, so yeah nothing fancy.

From the developers of the award-winning Mafia comes Mafia II, a beautifully crafted look into the dark and unforgiving world of the Mafia. Expanding upon the original hit that captivated more than 2 million gamers around the world, 2K Czech takes the players deep into the Mafia with a mature and exciting experience that will immerse players like never before.

Powered by the 2K Czech's next-generation engine built specifically for Mafia II, players will experience the true evolution of the Mafia game that defined a genre. Gunfights, hand-to-hand combat and vehicular exploration feature new depth and dimension that allow players to experience the world of Mafia II in a way that will keep them coming back for more.

TITLE | Mafia II

PLATFORM | PC, Xbox 360, Playstation 3

GENRE | Action

DEVELOPER| 2K Czech

PUBLISHER | 2K Games

OFFICIAL WEBSITE | www.mafia2game.com

RELEASE DATES:
North America - August the 24th, 2010
International - August the 27th, 2010

RATINGS:
ESRB: M (Mature)

DLC:
DLC1 - Betrayal Of Jimmy - PS3 Only
DLC2 - Jimmy's Vendetta - PC, Xbox 360, Playstation 3

tmafia2360.jpg
tmafia2ps3.jpg
tmafia2pc.jpg

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7
Processor: Pentium D 3Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (Dual core) or higher
RAM: 1.5 GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 / ATI HD2600 Pro or better
Hard Disc Space: 8 GB
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Peripherals: Keyboard and mouse or Windows compatible gamepad

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7
Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX / ATI Radeon HD 3870 or better
Hard Disc: 10 GB
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compliant card
Peripherals: Keyboard and mouse or Windows compatible gamepad

PHYSX/APEX ENHANCEMENTS SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7 Minimum Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
Recommended Processor: 2.66 GHz Core i7-920 RAM: 2 GB

Video Cards and resolution: APEX medium settings
Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (or better) for Graphics and a dedicated NVIDIA 9800GTX (or better) for PhysX
Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (or better)

Video Cards and resolution: APEX High settings
Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (or better) and a dedicated NVIDIA 9800GTX (or better) for PhysX
Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 for Graphics and a dedicated NVIDIA GTX 285 (or better) for PhysX NVIDIA GPU driver: 197.13 or later.
NVIDIA PhysX driver: 10.04.02_9.10.0522. Included and automatically installed with the game.

COLLECTOR'S EDITION:

THE MAFIA II COLLECTOR'S EDITION includes a brushed metallic SteelBook Casing with a debossed logo and exclusive art of Vito and Joe. Inside you’ll find a 100-page photo album-style hardcover artbook, a CD of the Mafia II Orchestral Score performed by the Prague FILMHarmonic Orchestra, a map of Empire Bay printed on high quality, tear-resistant paper, and the Made Man Pack downloadable content which includes two new suits for Vito.

Made Man Pack: Get a taste of being a Made Man in this new DLC pack. Feel the difference of a luxury automobile as you drive 2 cars featuring bold design and dynamic performance. Vito will look the part in 2 new suits including a red carpet worthy tux.

collectorssq.jpg

4920748544_f684777735_b.jpg

DLC For Mafia II

The Betrayal of Jimmy will be available exclusively for PlayStation 3 worldwide. Gamers who purchase a new copy of Mafia II on PS3 will receive this content free starting on launch day, or you can pick up this pack for $9.99 on the PlayStation Network. In this pack, you play as Jimmy and unlock new city-based challenges ranging from assasinations to timed vehicle based missions that include shootouts, car chases, and explosions. The Betrayal of Jimmy will also feature arcade-style gameplay, allowing you to replay missions, hone your craft, and post your scores to the Mafia II leaderboards to see where you rank against your friends.

Our second installment of downloadable content, Jimmy's Vendetta, will be available shortly after launch. This pack be available on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC, offering arcade-style gameplay along with new missions and leaderboard competition. In Jimmy's Vendetta, you will step into the shoes of the pack's namesake and help him clean up messes around Empire Bay (and compete against your friends to see who can do the job most efficiently and score highest on the leaderboards.)

ScreenShots:

4920814798_1bf4b65340_z.jpg

4920814942_f0e58c979e_z.jpg

4920215935_94235c9e65_z.jpg

4920815404_b614752568_z.jpg

4920815794_f1ecc3371e_z.jpg

Other Information:

Mafia II Shipping with Steamworks
Mafia II Achievements
Mafia II Trophies

Mafia II Playboy Magazines Locations Guide
Mafia II Wanted Posters Locations Guide

Here are the links to the previous Mafia II threads.
Mafia II - Demo Impressions Thread
Mafia II - Graphics Comparisions Thread - 360/PS3/PC

Videos:

Debut Trailer
E3 09 Trailer
Exclusives Boom Boom Trailer
Nvidia PhysX Trailer
Made Man Trailer
Tools Of The Trade Trailer
The Ties That Bind Trailer
Earning Your Keep Trailer

Reviews:

Game Informer - 9/10
Worth Playing - 8.3/10
G4TV - 4/5
VG Revolution - 7.6/10
IGN - 7/10
Joystiq - 3.5/5
Itani's Gaming Blog - 84%

Kotaku
MTV Review
Crave Online

Graphics Comparisons:
Taken from the other thread, credit goes to the original uploaders.

pooebi6.gif

3021c83.png

2dj49k.png

4qhg91.png

BeeDog

Can't wait for this game! Will most likely grab the PC version as fast as possible.

Oh, and nice first OT, OP. :)

360 version should be coming in the mail Wednesday. I rented it, haven't looked into it at all or played the first one. No idea what to expect.

Thanks for the thread OP I was actually looking for one earlier today

I have to admit once I found out it was the studio that made the "Vietcong" games I became a bit skeptical.

brain_stew said:
Should probably mention something about extreme differences between the three different versions.

Added few posts from the other thread.

Let me know if there is anything else you guys want in the OP.

you should leave out the graphics comparisons in an OT.

there is a reason why separate threads are made for that stuff. as you will no doubt come to realize soon enough.

WickedLaharl said:
you should leave out the graphics comparisons in an OT.

there is a reason why separate threads are made for that stuff. as you will no doubt come to realize soon enough.
let's leave out the reviews giving the PC or PS3 or 360 version a better score too.

Some more reviews:

Gamepro - 3.5/5
Planet XB360 - 9.3
Destructoid - 6.5 for PC, 360; 7.5 for PS3

coopolon

I pre-ordered this on Steam, and am really regretting it.

I did because I really wanted to play Mafia 1, and after playing 3-4 hours of it, I think I'm done with that game. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed those 3-4 hours, but I'm having a hard time going back and playing old shooters, and Mafia was no exception.

So I'm really hoping Mafia 2 does it for me, brings Mafia 1 with modern shooting elements. I freaking loved the demo (have probably put like 3 hours into it), but all the negative reviews has me seriously thinking I should have just rented the 360 version.

Oh well, nothing I can do about it now. Hopefully since I loved the demo so much I'll love the game too.

Edit: this is also a good example of why I should never pre-order games on Steam.

K' Dash

My store called me and I'll be picking it up on my lunch break, it'll be a long afternoon :(

*mi tienda llamo y lo recogeré en el almuerzo, será una laaaarga tarde :(

Aesius

Welp, based on the reviews I will probably just rent this for 360, and eventually pick it up for PC during a Steam sale.

K' Dash

MacBosse said:
The fuck?

*goes to Destructoid to read*

Edit : Ah, the DLC.

Was waiting for someone to correct/post the reason of that score, thank you.

*estaba esperando que alguien corriegiera/posteara la razon de esa calificacion, gracias.

Dennis

Banned
Destructoid said:
The PlayStation 3 Advantage

While for this review I played the game to its completion on the PlayStation 3, I spent some time with both the Xbox 360 and PC versions for comparison. It needs to be said upfront that the PS3 version of Mafia II is the least visually impressive of the bunch, missing a number of subtle game effects that were pulled from the game, reportedly due to performance issues. With the right rig, you’ll get the best visual fidelity on the PC (the “PhysX” stuff, as usual, looks great), with the Xbox 360 version trailing slightly behind.

But visual nitpicking aside, all of the games are functionally indistinguishable; the experience is going to be mostly the same on all three platforms. The PS3 version of the Mafia II, however, features more content, due to the fact that all new copies ship with a unique code that will allow you to download a game add-on called “The Betrayal of Jimmy.” It’s this add-on content that makes purchasing Mafia II on the PS3 (if given options) a no-brainer.

“Betrayal” is exclusive to the PS3, and features mafia goon Jimmy in well over 20 unique missions that have a more action-packed, arcade-style slant than anything found in the standalone game. You’ll be scored per mission on everything from kills (including score multipliers), speed, drifting your car, and more. There’s a story here, but it’s really secondary to the action, which makes it feel wholly different than stock Mafia II experience. After completing the 10 hour on-disc story, “Betrayal” is a welcome addition, one that encourages players to play and explore Empire City in a way the core game refuses to.

Score (Xbox 360, PC): 6.5 - Alright (6s may be slightly above average or simply inoffensive. Fans of the genre should enjoy them a bit, but a fair few will be left unfulfilled.)

Score (PlayStation 3): 7.5 - Good (7s are solid games that definitely have an audience. Might lack replay value, could be too short or there are some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.)
DLC, yeah.

burgerdog

K' Dash said:
Was waiting for someone to correct/post the reason of that score, thank you.

*estaba esperando que alguien corriegiera/posteara la razon de esa calificacion, gracias.
Dude, what the fuck. That's worse than -DCX, are you practicing Spanish?

coopolon

DennisK4 said:
DLC, yeah.

Wow, that DLC sounds rather significant. I knew the PS3 was getting some exclusive stuff, but this is the most sizable console exclusive I can think of off the top of my head (not counting paid DLC like episodes from liberty city). Sony must have paid a lot for it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
brain_stew said:
Should probably mention something about extreme differences between the three different versions.
Eh, I agree with it being too cluttered now.

Otherwise good OP! Getting my hands on the PC version day 1.

coopolon said:
I pre-ordered this on Steam, and am really regretting it.

I did because I really wanted to play Mafia 1, and after playing 3-4 hours of it, I think I'm done with that game. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed those 3-4 hours, but I'm having a hard time going back and playing old shooters, and Mafia was no exception.

So I'm really hoping Mafia 2 does it for me, brings Mafia 1 with modern shooting elements. I freaking loved the demo (have probably put like 3 hours into it), but all the negative reviews has me seriously thinking I should have just rented the 360 version.

Oh well, nothing I can do about it now. Hopefully since I loved the demo so much I'll love the game too.

Edit: this is also a good example of why I should never pre-order games on Steam.

You know you can cancel the pre-order by submitting a support ticket before the release date.

Dark Stalkers said:
Is that Snoop pic real?

Yes: http://www.thesmokingjacket.com/lifestyle/snoop-digs-the-new-mafia-ii-lamp

crimsonheadGCN said:
You know you can cancel the pre-order by submitting a support ticket before the release date.

Yes: http://www.thesmokingjacket.com/lifestyle/snoop-digs-the-new-mafia-ii-lamp

Doubt it since he already played Mafia 1. If one could pre purchase, play free game, and then cancel pre-purchase it would be akin to playing one game for free. Perhaps they would only refund him the cost of Mafia 2 minus the price for Mafia 1.

vazel

Banned
Holy Toledo a 7 from IGN? Didn't think it was possible for them to give any big game a score below 8.

Seeing Edge-like scores from sites that are usually slobbering fanboys is disconcerting. But I was always planning on getting this game in a Steam sale anyway. What I'm really looking forward to with the game is just taking in the old Americana vistas.

Incase anyone wasn't aware, we have screens of the PS3 DLC running on the PC. So this is definitely not the case of extra content being created for the PS3 version, more content being cut from the other versions. Locking content to the shittiest version is completely ridiculous.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
vazel said:
Holy Toledo a 7 from IGN? Didn't think it was possible for them to give any big game a score below 8.

Seeing Edge-like scores from sites that are usually slobbering fanboys is disconcerting. But I was always planning on getting this game in a Steam sale anyway. What I'm really looking forward to with the game is just taking in the old Americana vistas.
The reviewer at IGN was bitching about things that didn't make a lot of sense to me. He realized it was a linear, story driven game but was disappointed when it didn't offer a collection of non-player character task dispensers all over the map ala Grand Theft Auto. He also knocks the games cover system, which is very solid and undeserving of such complaints.

I, for one, am thrilled that they've kept side quest bullshit out of this game. That sort of busy work has ruined many an open world experience for me. They have put all of their effort into the creation of high quality missions while using a large, open city environment as the setting, just like the first game.

Incase anyone wasn't aware, we have screens of the PS3 DLC running on the PC. So this is definitely not the case of extra content being created for the PS3 version, more content being cut from the other versions. Locking content to the shittiest version is completely ridiculous.
It's not impossible that those pics weren't sampled from the in-development PS3 game prior to cutting certain visuals elements. I'm sure some of those cuts came later in the development cycle when performance was inadequate. They should have made the same cuts on the 360 version if it meant they could actually reach a smoother framerate.

Forsete

Waiting for my PC version to ship (Thursday). :D

Looks like Discshop changed my preorder to Mafia II - Nordic Bonus Edition, because I dont remember ordering that.

Nordic Bonus Edition innehåller:

-Exclusive packaging featuring artwork from the world of Mafia 2.
-Mafia 2 game
-War Hero Pack: The 40s wouldn?t be complete without a war hero. Vito plays the role well in the War Hero DLC pack. Drive 2 military style vehicles and notice the superior handling in all weather conditions. Vito looks sharp in 2 new military inspired suits, including a full uniform and fatigues.

-Made Man Pack: Free access to in-game downloadable pack that lets players get behind the wheel of two different luxury automobiles modelled after classic cars from the period. In addition, Vito will look the part with two new ?made man? suits, including a vintage tux.

-Map of Empire Bay: Get familiar with the neighbourhoods and own the streets with a high quality map depicting the 10 square miles of Empire Bay and all the hangout spots.

All the complaints from reviews seem to revolve around the game not being a GTA type game. How are these reviewers disappointed about the game not being open world when the first game wans't either? I know the reason it's because non of them played the first game, and just assumed.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I said it before in the demo thread and I'll say it again here; a Mafia sequel plays like a Mafia game.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Kabuki Waq said:
MTV said 8 of the 12 hours are just driving. I hope this is false

From what I've heard... this is pretty accurate.

Lots of unplayable cut scenes, terrible check pointing and just generally a lack of life in the city.

Mad_Ban

Nice simple OP. :) Makes a change from the 4 post imagefests that we usually get for manufacturer produced games.

Also lol @ gaming journalism for:

With the right rig, you’ll get the best visual fidelity on the PC (the “PhysX” stuff, as usual, looks great), with the Xbox 360 version trailing slightly behind.

Get the fuck out. There's a world of difference between them. :lol

Dennis

Banned
Played the demo, loved the demo.

360 version trailing the PC version slightly.....suuuuuure.

About reviews: my favorite games of the last two years - Arma 2 and Risen - both got terrible, terrible reviews. Scores so low that in the mainstream press it basically signals don't buy.

I'm on chapter 6 and I'm liking it so far. Yes the city does feel lifeless but It doesn't really bother me much. The frame rate and the driving seems improved from the demo. This is a game that's gonna get a WIDE range of opinions on it. I pretty much knew that after a hour of playing the game. I'm still enjoying it.

Q8D3vil

fuck the reviews
they are clearly playing the 360 version then giving the same score to the pc. i wonder if they even have a gaming pc to test it on pc.

i love how the company start giving dlc to the worst port, but still hoping that we get it eventually.

MMaRsu

Banned
El_TigroX said:
From what I've heard... this is pretty accurate.

Lots of unplayable cut scenes, terrible check pointing and just generally a lack of life in the city.

Unplayable cutscenes? Like how.

Top Bottom