• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns: New Previews and Trailer (10/28)

Seda

UPDATE:
GameTrailers Preview (New Thread)
Eruption Trailer (New Thread)
GameXplain in-depth Preview 2 (30 Min)
TV Spot (GameStop)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many new previews, screens, and a trailer.

Donkey Kong Country Returns Trailer (Youtube - Posted by GameXplain)

Previews
1up
NWR

Gamespot (3 short gameplay vids here)
Kotaku
GameXplain
IGN-video preview (Youtube Mirror)
Wired/Game|Life

Screens

dk1vzf6.jpg

dk27btk.jpg

44lsqo.jpg

More screens in the preview links.

Retro never ceases to impress.

Jeremy Parish-1up said:
In short, Retro's approach to the game seems nearly pitch-perfect
Aaron Kaluszka-NWR said:
Retro Studios did an amazing job capturing the feeling of the original games, while adding meticulously-crafted immersiveness and ridiculous, yet humorous challenges. Donkey Kong Country Returns may be my new favorite Wii 2D platformer.
Giancarlo Varanini-Gamespot said:
Needless to say, the game will put your platforming skills to the test. In fact, It's early on in the beach area is where it becomes pretty clear that Donkey Kong Country Returns seems like it's going to offer a healthy challenge.
Jason Schreier-Wired/Game|Life said:
A lot of gamers are skeptical about Donkey Kong Country Returns, possibly with good reason. Water levels are gone, you can’t play as Diddy outside of multiplayer, and classic villain King K. Rool and his Kremlings are nowhere to be found. But from the hour or so I played, I think this game will please even the most cynical Donkey Kong fans.

Also, a remixed version of Aquatic Ambience is in the game, lol.

GameXplain podcast:
redbarchetta said:
And in case you guys aren't sick of Donkey Kong Country Returns yet (or me!), we just posted our video podcast that delves into some other aspects of the game that I haven't seen discussed much elsewhere.

Watch or listen to it here:
http://www.gamexplain.com/article-301-1288312422-donkey-kong-country-returns-discussion.html

NWR
Kard8p3 said:

Willy105 said:
Tell us about the music!

It's pretty great, from what I heard. However, it was hard to hear because of all the other demo stations set up. A lot of consists of updated songs from the original, which can be good or bad depending on your perspective. Thankfully, the new tunes seemed to fit right in.

jarosh

only watched that new trailer. and i instantly decided i'd have to stop watching any more footage. my god. it's so amazing looking. chock-full of neat ideas, great looking levels and awesome enemies. can't fucking wait. wow.

Kard8p3

redbarchetta said:
As one of the authors of the GameXplain preview, I'm more than happy to answer any questions you guys may have about the game.

How good was the level design? Is it really as difficult as some are saying?

DaBuddaDa said:
How the overall difficulty? Dumbed down for Wii casuals? Similar to DKC? Harder?

It's tough--really tough, though fair; there were very few (if any) cheap deaths. The game ramps up in difficulty pretty early, but I never felt like a section was impassable. It's at least as tough as the original DKC, but it's tough to compare since I know the original's like the back of my hand.

Kard8p3 said:
How good was the level design? Is it really as difficult as some are saying?

See my last answer about difficulty. As for level design: bloody fantastic. Absolutely trounces New Super Mario Bros Wii and pretty much most other platformers I've played the last decade. Every level feels super creative, and keeps you wanting more.

So many awesome platformers, so little time.

Between Meat Boy and Kirby, I've been jumping around quite a bit.

But I can't see myself passing this up.

DaBuddaDa

redbarchetta said:
It's tough--really tough, though fair; there were very few (if any) cheap deaths. The game ramps up in difficulty pretty early, but I never felt like a section was impassable. It's at least as tough as the original DKC, but it's tough to compare since I know the original's like the back of my hand.
That's good to hear. I was worried the game would be dumbed down to Kibry-levels to make it "accessible."

GCX

From what I've seen, the level design looks almost more inspired than in the original DKC games. So many great ideas.

farnham

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
That's good to hear. I was worried the game would be dumbed down to Kibry-levels to make it "accessible."
to be fair

kirby games are always laughably easy
Londa said:
I stopped at DCK2. I never tried 3. Maybe because of the ugly baby on the cover. :lol
it was prettier but overall DKC2 stomps all over 3.

a friend of mine thinks 3 is better though (he also said he never plays the baby :lol :lol )

DaBuddaDa said:

Haha, not at all--you can die in this one. :lol The game is clearly aimed at veterans of DKC, though the co-op makes it more accessible to all.

WillyFive

redbarchetta said:

Hopefully it's fun hard and not frustrating hard. The original DKC had a very big problem with this. Especially in this one. Really cheap deaths based on predicting where a moving barrel was going to be when it was out of sight.

DeathbyVolcano said:
I actually think 3 is better than 1.
3 is better than 1.
1 was good for setting a solid foundation, but nothing in the first game even comes close to what Rare did with the 2nd and 3rd.

DKCR looks fucking fantastic. I need this game, like right now.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wow. This game looks awesome. I'm a huge fan of the original DK Country and it looks like I'll have to plug in my Wii for this one.

Also, that Patapon looking level is fucking sick looking.

Willy105 said:
Hopefully it's fun hard and not frustrating hard. The original DKC had a very big problem with this. Especially in this one. Really cheap deaths based on predicting where a moving barrel was going to be when it was out of sight.

Fun hard--the game's a blast. I got frustrated exactly once.

bridegur said:
Did we ever determine if the overworld was 3D?

It's a 3D map, so yes?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
bridegur said:
Did we ever determine if the overworld was 3D?

As in rendered in 3D? Yes, it is.

JSnake

Here's the Wired Game|Life preview.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/10/donkey-kong-country-preview/

A lot of gamers are skeptical about Donkey Kong Country Returns, possibly with good reason. Water levels are gone, you can’t play as Diddy outside of multiplayer, and classic villain King K. Rool and his Kremlings are nowhere to be found. But from the hour or so I played, I think this game will please even the most cynical Donkey Kong fans.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Glad to hear some good news on this. It kinda seemed like people were down on this (at least on GAF). It definitely looks gorgeous.

And I'm glad to hear the game is hard. I thought the originals were very hard, and the challenge made co-op more fun.

[Nintex] said:
Wow, this game is like completely different from what was shown at E3. Retro worked hard to make this game shine :D

...or, like so many demos before it, what was shown wasn't entirely representative of the final title?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fantastical said:
Glad to hear some good news on this. It kinda seemed like people were down on this (at least on GAF). It definitely looks gorgeous.

I dont know if people were done, moreso tired of seeing the exact same levels over and over again. This is the first time in ages Nintendo have shown some new stuff from the game, and its here we can finally see the kind of variety the levels are going to have.

bridegur

EatChildren said:
As in rendered in 3D? Yes, it is.

Ah, shame. From what IGN originally said it sounded like the overworld would play like a 3D platformer. Still, this is easily my most anticipated game of the year. I need to stop watching videos now.

Adam J.

There is a staggering amount of detail in the backgrounds...

Pay attention to the the raft around the 1:28 mark...Is that a Madagascar reference?

Top Bottom