• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit Review Thread

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hopefully these reviews are warranted. I mean, NFS Shift got a 83 Metacritic and that game was shit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Didn't expect such high scores given the overall negativity in the demo thread.

I still need to try it myself, I adore Criterion for the Burnout series but this particular title doesn't really interest me. Guess I should boot it up tonight...

I'm not surprised, Criterion always delivers. Between wanting a Chase HQ-style game for the longest time and them being my favorite driving developer, this is a dream game for me!

Everdred

Whoa, impressive. I may have to look into this a little more. I knew Criterion was doing it but the NFS name is just garbage to me now.

Flavius

Gary Whitta said:
I'm not surprised, Criterion always delivers. Between wanting a Chase HQ-style game for the longest time and them being my favorite driving developer, this is a dream game for me!

Guessing you dug the demo?

Personally, I found it to be complete and utter ass...and ordinarily, I love me some Criterion big-time, too!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
i'm sure the game is actually good (the demo was putrass), but i suspect it could be the exact same quality as like NFS Carbon and the media would go zomg criterion

Flavius

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah if only because it's the closest any game has come to the Chase HQ remake I've been dreaming of for years. The demo I played at PAX was great too.

Fair enough. I was a pretty big Chase HQ fan back in the day myself. :)

Not rushing out to purchase this one, but if the good word spreads, I'll definitely check it out.

The line between brilliant, beautiful speed and epic, catastrophic head-on collisions is measured in milliseconds, and every extra pixel of clarity is vital – we haven't strained this intently to decipher the vanishing point since F-Zero GX on the GameCube. Are those headlights on the horizon? Is that a spike strip? In fact, sometimes Hot Pursuit is so fast that, even though you know the game's physics-defying drifts will catch you as you dive into a hairpin at close to 200mph, you're slightly scared to put your foot back on the gas.

Criterion has created a racing landscape that feels alive. Traffic (all licensed vehicles) comes and goes, aircraft fly by as you're driving, weather effects are realistic and dramatic, and the buildings along the roads just seem, well, real. Hop into Freedrive mode, and you can hop into any car you've unlocked and just tool around the entirety of Seacrest County. As you motor along, weather will come and go, the sun will rise and set, and the world will just sort of roll along.

These reviews seem a bit too hyperbolic for me.

It's interesting to read the final comment on the graphics for the IGN review. Best graphics he's ever seen in a racing game, or something along those lines? Not that the demo should be the benchmark, but I'm assuming there's a massive step up from the demo to the retail release for that claim to have any truth to the matter.

In any case, great to hear it's doing well. Looking forward to it. As long as it scratches the godly Chase mode from Burnout 2, I'm safe.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Wario64 said:
Hopefully these reviews are warranted. I mean, NFS Shift got a 83 Metacritic and that game was shit.

fry-1.jpg

REV 09

The demo killed my anticipation for this. Even good reviews aren't pulling me back w/o renting it first.

I'm a little surprised that this game is getting incredible reviews!

But seeing how it's from the Burnout guys, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

I usually don't pick up racing games at full price but if it's really this good, I may bite. I also want to pick up NFS Shift, if I can find it cheaper.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm a little surprised that this game is getting incredible reviews!

But seeing how it's from the Burnout guys, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

I usually don't pick up racing games at full price but if it's really this good, I may bite. I also want to pick up NFS Shift, if I can find it cheaper.
Shift 2 is coming out in about 3-4 months, so you might want to wait for that to go on sale since NFS games tend to get cheap fairly quickly.

Shinjitsu

Banned
I really don't get the surprise at the review scores, it's a Criterion racing game.

Hey guys, the demo for Burnout Paradise was pretty lame too.:D

Edgeward

Hmm, no host migration online, wonder how serious of a problem this will be?

I really hope the final game is different from the demo or else I really don't know where these reviews are coming from. I'm optimistic, because the ideas are really good, I just hated the part where I had to start turning.

nib95

Banned
I can't quite understand how it's reviewing so well. Repetition of events is brought up, but just not dwelt on. Don't get me wrong, the game looks great, but with such little variety in the modes (cops or street racers, that's about it), I feel like I'd get really bored after a while.

Beezy

Nirolak said:
Shift 2 is coming out in about 3-4 months, so you might want to wait for that to go on sale since NFS games tend to get cheap fairly quickly.

That's really dumb.

Massa

Nirolak said:

Shift 2 is not Need for Speed anymore, aren't they launching it as a new series to compete with Forza and GT? I also think it's been delayed.

Top Bottom