• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
OP created by the wonderful TheAwesomePossum:

QT0sr8D.gif

What is Dragon Ball?
Dragon Ball is a manga series created by Akira Toriyama. It was serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump from 1984 to 1995, spanning 519 chapters which were compiled into 42 volumes along the way. It’s a series that started similarly to a previous Toriyama work, Dr. Slump (which is also awesome, go read it!). However, as the foes appearing got more and more powerful with higher stakes, Dragon Ball became more and more serious. The manga has gone on to sell millions of copies worldwide, becoming an international hit.

The anime

KhVw6sP.png

In 1986, Toei Animation premiered the first episode of an animated adaptation of Dragon Ball on Fuji TV. New episodes aired weekly, adapting the manga into an animated format with some bits and “filler” added in and changed by Toei. The music was composed by Shunsuke Kikuchi. The anime aired 153 episodes from 1986 to 1989, covering the first 195 chapters. Three movies were produced and premiered along the way.

4YjuEvY.png

In 1989, Toei Animation wanted to differentiate their anime adaptation of the Saiyan arc and what would eventually come as a separate series in name. Since Toriyama thought he was nearing the end of the manga at the time (lol), the anime’s version of the Saiyan arc was named Dragon Ball Z because Z is the last letter in the alphabet (I’m not kidding. That was his reasoning. Look it up.)Shunsuke Kikuchi continued his role as the series composer. The first episode of Z immediately aired the week after the last episode of Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Z aired for 291 episodes from 1989 to 1996, covering chapter 196 to chapter 519, the last chapter of the manga. Thirteen movies and two TV specials were produced and premiered along the way.

Aren’t you forgetting something?

UfgsQTF.jpg

Oh yes, Dragon Ball GT. Toei Animation wanted to keep the DB train rolling, so they decided to start producing their own anime-only continuation of the Dragon Ball manga. Toriyama drew them a few concepts and character designs, and Toei went wild with it from there. A new composer, Akihito Tokunaga, was brought along to do the music for GT. GT aired for 64 episodes from 1996 to 1997. It’s good to note that the first episode of GT aired the week right after the last episode of Z. In 1996, a movie celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Dragon Ball anime was made. This is the movie that we know as Path to Power. In 1997, a TV special was aired that covered the story of Goku Jr. and Pan, one hundred years after GT.

Slumber and Resurrection

xUsKuD2.jpg

Excitement and promotion of the Dragon Ball franchise died in Japan during and afterwards GT. It wasn’t until 2002 that Dragon Ball experienced a revival in Japan. New video games, guidebooks, interviews, merchandise, etc, were being produced at a rapid pace. The Kanzenban, a premium release of the original manga, re-compiled the 519 chapters into 34 volumes. Finally, a home video release for the 3 TV anime and 17 movies was created for Japan, the Dragon Boxes!

Reunion

2Q2vK5x.png

In 2008, Toei Animation premiered a 34 minute Dragon Ball OVA at Jump Festa as part of a celebration of Weekly Shonen Jump’s 40th anniversary. "Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return!" featured new characters like Tarble and his wife. There was also the appearance of new Freeza minions, Abo and Cado. The idea of a reunion for the DB characters where family and friends catch up and the tone of the OVA can be seen as a precursor to Battle of Gods. The OVA was seen as technically canon when Tarble was mentioned in Battle of Gods. However, Dragon Ball Super did not include the line mentioning him, which begs the question if this OVA can be seen as canon to the “Super” timeline anymore. This OVA has not been released outside of Japan.

Renewal

WdxjlYg.png

In 2009, Toei Animation announced that they were producing a high definition “refreshed” version of Dragon Ball Z to be called Dragon Ball Kai. It was re-named Dragon Ball Z Kai in international markets. The stated goal of the series was to cut down on filler in order to follow the manga more closely. The first episode aired on Akira Toriyama’s birthday, April 5th, 2009. Kai initially aired for 97 episodes from 2009 to 2011, covering the Saiyan arc to the Cell arc. The 98th episode, covering Trunks’ visit to the future, remains unaired in Japan and is included in the last BD/DVD home video release. Kenji Yamamoto, the music composer for the first 95 episodes of Kai, was no stranger to the series as he did the music for many DBZ games, including the popular Budokai trilogy. Due to allegations of musical infringement directed towards Yamamoto, the 96th and 97th episodes of Kai aired with a replacement score comprised of BGM Shunsuke Kikuchi scored for DB and Z. The score for all previous episodes of Kai was also immediately replaced with lazy placement of a limited selection of Kikuchi BGM.

A Return to a Beloved Character

iAnRFkh.png

As part of a promotion of Super Saiyan Bardock in the card-based arcade game Dragon Ball Heroes, it was announced that a short spin-off manga by Naho Ooishi was being drawn to be the backstory of the VG-only transformation. It was serialized in 2011 in three parts in V-Jump initially. Toriyama was the one who designed the Freeza ancestor in the story, Chilled. This spin-off manga got an animated adaptation by Toei that premiered in the Jump Festa of that year. Episode of Bardock was written as a sequel to the Bardock TV special from the 90s, but it is so standalone that it can be ignored completely.

Hand-to-Hand, God-to-God

LppYD5Q.png

In mid-2012, Weekly Jump announced that a new Dragon Ball Z movie was being produced with Akira Toriyama playing a big role in its creation, similar to Eiichiro Oda’s involvement in One Piece: Strong World and One Piece: Film Z. It was announced to take place in-between Majin Boo’s defeat and Goku flying off with Oob 10 years later. The movie was later announced to premiere in Japanese theaters on March 30th, 2013. Once the poster for the movie was released, the movie’s official title was shown: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods or Kami to Kami. The composer for the movie’s score was announced to be Norihito Sumitomo. The hype cycle for the movie was absolute insanity as trailers and new info came out at a rapid and sometimes slow pace. The movie came out to much critical praise as an excellent return to the series, but much of the fanbase was divided over if they liked this new direction for Dragon Ball. Toriyama had been a part of a number of interviews around this time, making up many retcon-like answers that involved Beerus being behind a lot of the happenings in Dragon World. The retcons wouldn’t just stop there as Toriyama was preparing for something quite unexpected.

A Quiet Prequel

pfuSfsI.jpg

In 2013, Weekly Jump announced that Akira Toriyama would very soon serialize a manga named Jaco the Galactic Patrolman in its magazine. Many fans initially saw it as just another Toriyama one-shot like Sandland or Cowa!. Weekly Jump shortly spilled the beans that it would be a tie-in to Dragon Ball by Toriyama. Jaco was serialized for 11 chapters from July to October, which were later compiled into 1 volume. When the last chapter was serialized, everyone’s theories were confirmed as Jaco was a prequel to Dragon Ball. A special chapter called Dragon Ball Minus was included with the Jaco volume, which revealed Toriyama’s version of the Bardock character. The chapter also introduced Gine, Goku’s biological mother. Fans see Minus as a misstep by Toriyama that sullied Bardock’s character more than Episode of Bardock.

A Return to Kai

d9rVtr0.jpg

Shortly after Kai prematurely ended with the Cell arc in 2011, international distributors demanded that Kai continued on with the Boo arc. Toei slowly produced a Kai version of the Boo arc lasting 69 episodes that would be premiered in international markets. What Toei didn’t see coming is Fuji TV wanting something to put in the TV slot where Toriko was finishing. Toei decided to air the Boo arc of Kai, but they would have to cut down on episodes to fit in a year’s broadcasting time for the Japanese version. The Japanese version got a different opening compared to the International version. Norihito Sumitomo fully enters his role as the new composer for the Dragon Ball franchise and composed new music for Boo Kai. The Japanese version of the Boo arc of Kai aired from April 6th 2014 to June 28th, 2015. The international version, branded as “Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters”, started airing in other countries in June 2014. North America is not one of those countries.

Revival of FREEZA FREEZA FREEZA

h2qD0yJ.png

A sequel to Battle of Gods was announced in July 2015! It was originally teased as a movie featuring “the worst wish in history.” What we got was the return of「F」reeza. Akira Toriyama returned as a consultant for the movie with some upgraded roles. He was in charge of the original concepts of the movie, writing its script, and he provided all of the movie’s initial character designs too! He stated that he deliberately increased the amount of fighting because of complaints from fans about the relative lack of action in Battle of Gods. The final movie was not 1:1 to the script, but Toei managed to make a 90+ minute movie out of Toriyama’s vague notes on the fighting sections. The movie’s title, Revival of ‘F’, was stated by Toriyama to be based on Maximum the Hormone’s infamous “‘F’” song. The movie premiered in Japan on April 18th, 2015 with a red carpet premiere in Los Angeles earlier, which was the first time a Dragon Ball movie was shown in its original Japanese version in an American theater. FUNimation later premiered the English dub in a limited release in theaters around North America in August 2015.

The Present

gXFWVvp.png

Shortly after Revival of F premiered in Japan, a new Dragon Ball TV anime was announced on April 29th, 2015. For details on the new series, check out the Dragon Ball Super thread!

F.A.Q.

Q: Where can I buy the manga?
A: Viz Media is the North American distributor of the DB manga. Check your country’s manga distributors to see if they have a DB manga release in your language. Otherwise, if you know English, Viz’s multitude of DB manga releases is excellent.

Q: There’re so many versions to choose from! Which one?
A: Individual volumes- Viz decided to artificially divide the 42 volumes of the manga in two, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, to match the anime for branding purposes. There are sixteen volumes corresponding to Dragon Ball and 26 volumes corresponding to Viz’s “Dragon Ball Z”. Each volume is of average print quality with some inconsistencies in terms of censorship. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with the translation, but there are some weird decisions Viz did in it that are outdated by today’s current manga translation standards. For example, Piccolo Jr. talks like he’s from Shakespeare in the first 3-5 volumes he is in. “Vegerot” instead of “Vegetto” because Viz wanted to keep the Saiyan name combo.

VizBigs- Re-release of the volumes that packaged them in 3-in-1 omnibuses with the exception of DB VizBig Vol. 5 (DB Vols. 13-16) and “DBZ” VizBig Vol. 9 (“DBZ” Vols. 25-26 AKA Vols. 41-42). This release has the highest print quality of Viz’s current B&W versions of DB with its one flaw being more consistent censorship found throughout. One interesting addition to note is that Viz put back in a fair percentage of the original color pages as they were in Weekly Jump and the Kanzenbans. No digital version. Still in print!

(Mostly) Uncensored 3-in-1s- Similar to the VizBigs, this release is the individual volumes collected into 3-in-1 omnibuses. One of the big differences is that Viz has finally abolished the DB/DBZ divide! This means that the 42 volumes can easily be divided into 13 omnibuses. Also, censorship to the art is mostly gone. The covers are also taken from the Kanzenban covers. Sounds like the perfect B&W release right? The two problems with it is that the print quality is even worse than the individual volumes, and that Viz still hasn’t done a new translation even though the current translation is over 15 years old. No digital version.

Full Color DB- Viz has only released the Saiyan arc of the full color version of Dragon Ball made by Shueisha in 2013. Very high paper quality with dimensions similar to an American comic book. Old translation is still here. Unlike previous releases, the sound effects aren’t translated. Visual censorship is basically gone as well. Viz plans to release the Namek arc and onwards in 2016 with no plans to release arcs that occurred before the Saiyan arc. It’s available in both print and digital.

Q: How about the anime?
A: FUNimation is the official distributor of any animated Dragon Ball material in North America. Here are your options:

Dragon Ball- Five season sets, the “Blue Bricks”, containing the uncut and uncensored 153 episodes of the show remastered and kept in its original 4:3 aspect ratio. Movies can be found in the 4-pack. Both releases have both the English dub and the original Japanese version with English subtitles.

Dragon Ball Z- Hooooo boy.
DVD=Nine season sets, the infamous “Orange Bricks”, containing the uncut and uncensored 291 episodes of the show “remastered” and cropped from its original 4:3 ratio to a widescreen 16:9. Some people are okay with the lost picture and the very lazy remaster, but that’s their opinion. The Dragon Boxes were released here in North America shortly after the Orange Bricks, but they sadly went out-of-print shortly after the last volume released. The movies and TV specials are available in DVD in collections. All releases have the English dub with both the US replacement score and the original score and the original Japanese version with English subtitles. The Dragon Boxes do not contain the US score.

Blu-ray=Remember the Level sets? Those short-lived sets with an excellent HD transfer with the video being kept in its original 4:3 aspect ratio? Those sets became bargain bin material because they were released around the same time as the Kai Blu-rays. Also, the frame-by-frame HD transfer was very costly. FUNimation decided to release new Blu-rays around a year ago that used a lazy remastering process similar to the OBs. The picture was put into 16:9 again with FUNi saying that it was selectively cropped. Sometimes it looks fine, but the crop is really obvious in stuff like the first ED of DBZ. In terms of the movies, they were put into double-features or even triple-features. These are not as widely available as the DVD movie collections. All releases have the English dub with both US replacement score and the original score and the original Japanese version with English subtitles.

Dragon Ball GT- This is much easier. Two season sets, the “Yellow Bricks”, containing the uncut and uncensored 64 episodes of the show remastered and kept in its original 4:3 aspect ratio. There is also a complete series box set that combines the two sets into one, and it is probably more widely available. All releases have both the English dub with the US replacement score and the original score and the original Japanese version with English subtitles.

Dragon Ball Z Kai- 4 season sets available in both Blu-ray and DVD containing the uncut and uncensored 98 episodes of the show, obviously kept in 4:3. All 4 season sets contain both the English dub and the original Japanese version with English subtitles. The score is the Kikuchi replacement score for all of them. The Buu arc of Kai has still not been released.

Q: What is the best website for Dragon Ball news, general info, and interview translations?
A: Kanzenshuu! It’s where I got most of my info.

--

Phew, I think that’s everything. Thank you Kagari for giving me this opportunity! Big shout out to Kanzenshuu again.

Anth0ny

If you guys really can't wait, Toyble's awesome DBAF fan manga is available here. I thought it was some good stuff, art is on point, and the story isn't rushed. He only released a couple of pages every few months.

Also, I'm curious
trying to take discussion away from One Piece
: To any one who watched/read both Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, what do you prefer? I, of course, grew up with DBZ, but after picking up all of Dragon Ball and watching it... it's superior. Superior in every aspect. Quality storytelling>mindless action.

Azure J

Anth0ny said:

If I may use a GAF classic, came for Dragon Ball Z, stayed for Dragon Ball. :lol

On a related note, did anyone else find DBZ fights better when there was more choreography going on than beam struggles? That's a major a reason why I loved stuff like The World's Strongest OVA or Goku vs. Cell in the Cell Games.

zero_suit

AzureJericho said:
On a related note, did anyone else find DBZ fights better when there was more choreography going on than beam struggles?

That might be why a lot of people like the Piccolo vs 17 fight. Beam struggles are lame, except for the first fight between Goku and Vegeta and Cell vs Gohan.

Anth0ny

zero_suit said:
That might be why a lot of people like the Piccolo vs 17 fight. Beam struggles are lame, except for the first fight between Goku and Vegeta and Cell vs Gohan.

Exactly. Piccolo vs. 17 is easily the best fight of the series, choreography wise.

Watch the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai again. Every fight was fantastic, from Bacterian's dick sweat vs. Kuririn to Goku vs. Jackie Chun.
Also, Mezase Tenkaichi is the best insert song ever.
Sooooo good.

Anth0ny said:
If you guys really can't wait, Toyble's awesome DBAF fan manga is available here. I thought it was some good stuff, art is on point, and the story isn't rushed. He only released a couple of pages every few months.

Also, I'm curious
trying to take discussion away from One Piece
: To any one who watched/read both Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, what do you prefer? I, of course, grew up with DBZ, but after picking up all of Dragon Ball and watching it... it's superior. Superior in every aspect. Quality storytelling>mindless action.

The mindless action and scale of it is the reason I watched it. So yeah, I'm a Z fan first and foremost. I actually got bored of DB and stopped after the Red Ribbon arc.

Stat Flow said:
I was in the Manga discussion thread talking about reading one piece before i started it and someone actually said "Start at 300something, everything before that is irrelevant"

And while of course I took it as a joke and read every chapter up to where I am, I kind of don't think that's necessarily a complete joke. I will admit that up until the
Sky Island
ark I didn't really start saying "oh snap" and I finally started saying "Holy shit son" around the
Enies Lobby
ark aka
Gear Second laying the smack down on these motherfuckers

Man, I personally hated the Saiyaman and Videl stuff. Mostly because I despised Videl as a character.

I did enjoy the Buu saga, contrary to what a lot of people have to say.
Hey, that was me.

And +1 for Slam Dunk 2, I NEED to see Sakuragi kick Rukawa's ass 1 on 1.

Dragon Ball is awesome.

Dragon Ball Z is good. Should have stopped after Cell Games saga or Pikon. Hate how Goten and Trunks are able to become SSJ while being so little. Majin Vegeta is cool though.

Dragon Ball GT is shit. I used to buy the vhs for Z, and after 3 vhs in for GT, I stopped. Waste of money.

Edit: One piece vs Dragon Ball?? Cowboy Bebop wins.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
KS Seven X said:
Dragon Ball is awesome.

Dragon Ball Z is good. Should have stopped after Cell Games saga or Pikon. Hate how Goten and Trunks are able to become SSJ while being so little. Majin Vegeta is cool though.

Dragon Ball GT is shit. I used to buy the vhs for Z, and after 3 vhs in for GT, I stopped. Waste of money.

Edit: One piece vs Dragon Ball?? Cowboy Bebop wins.
Was the manga for Cowboy Bebop any good? I was under the impression that it was different from the anime.

flawfuls

Griffith said:
About 3 weeks ago. Volume 10 comes out next month.

Nice that's pretty soon. I hope the mangaka picks up the pace with Real after he finishes Vagabond.

InfiniteNine said:
Was the manga for Cowboy Bebop any good? I was under the impression that it was different from the anime.

I heard it was pretty meh.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
so1337 said:
ODp5o.jpg

Kagari said:
It's definitely better than Bleach and Naruto :p I haven't read One Piece yet so I can't comment on that.
Strictly speaking anime here I prefer Naruto and One Piece cause they handle their characters better than Dragon Ball Z did.
Crewnh said:
Bleach succeeded Yu Yu Hakusho. That's why I didn't mention it.:lol
Really? Didn't know that.
Blackace said:
Damn Blackace, no heart for adventure? :(

Also DBZ's worst moment was making Gohan be Jobber Saiyan Man. Gave him a push against Cell for no fucking reason.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Plywood said:
Damn Blackace, no heart for adventure? :(

Also DBZ's worst moment was making Gohan be Jobber Saiyan Man. Gave him a push against Cell for no fucking reason.

I love adventure! I thought the tone set in the start was awesome but quickly fell to shit.. Also the MJ character was straight insulting..

Ah i remember when i first saw one piece, my reaction was that it looked like shit at the time Yu yu and RK were my two favorite shonen, and after giving One Piece a fair shake i was forced to change that as One piece have some downright powerful scenes, i damn near almost break out crying at the death of an inanimate object.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
How about he retcons GT so that Gohan doesn't regress to mid-tier.
GT isn't canon to begin with so there's nothing to retcon.

Well I guess he could retcon Goku's idiocy with not saving Gohan in the first place when Kid Buu was about to blow up the Earth. That way Gohan could have beaten Kid Buu instead of "Hey guys, let's use that move that has never worked on anyone before!".

Calcaneus

AzureJericho said:
If I may use a GAF classic, came for Dragon Ball Z, stayed for Dragon Ball. :lol

On a related note, did anyone else find DBZ fights better when there was more choreography going on than beam struggles? That's a major a reason why I loved stuff like The World's Strongest OVA or Goku vs. Cell in the Cell Games.
Definitely, The Worlds Strongest has some of the best animated fights in the series. I like that whole era, it was the perfect mix of hand to hand action and ki attacks.

jaxword

I agree with the possibility it's a slight mistranslation of the work Toriyama's been doing for Dragonball Online. Especially since it's coming out soon in North America.

In fact, I'd be surprised if he did NOT do a tie-in manga with DBO to establish the setting.

jaxword said:
Strange that no one's considered the possibility this is a slight mistranslation of the work Toriyama's been doing for Dragonball Online.

In fact, I'd be surprised if he did NOT do a tie-in manga with DBO to establish the setting.

Thread ruined

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
captmcblack said:
Just watch Dragonball Kai/Dragonball Z Kai (US).
If you like fighting, action, lasers, or if you can appreciate the archetypes for many of what may be some of your favorite characters in anime/manga today, then you'll be able to enjoy/appreciate Dragonball...and once it gets you, you're gotten for life.

I know it's old and a little outdated (and a lot cheesy at times, especially by today's standards)...but I can watch the Dragonball series in its entirety all fucking day and enjoy much of it, even the episodes where Goku learns to drive :lol

The episode where Goku learns to drive is the best episode of Dragon Ball Z.

Azure J

Calcaneus said:
Definitely, The Worlds Strongest has some of the best animated fights in the series. I like that whole era, it was the perfect mix of hand to hand action and ki attacks.

The World's Strongest also has one of my favorite secondary character fights in the history of the series. Watching Master Roshi go from funny old codger to DESTROYER OF WORLDS, HANDING OUT BITCHSLAPS IN A COLOSSEUM NEAR YOU was a massive "oh sheeeit" moment for me when I was younger and first saw it. That scene still holds up well today. :lol

KingDizzi

Banned
Ugh just let it go, after they turned my childhood idol Vegeta
That's right my idol was a drawing
into a little bitch in GT I had to stop watching. I watched GT as a kid and my sisters watched Sailor Moon, at least the latter one was left alone. Vegeta still remains super awesome...........also the main guy from Tekken is surely inspired by Vegeta and possible that monkey guy from Enslaved?

Watched a few episodes of One Piece in yr 11 and not watched another anime since, it was that bad. Honestly cant get enough of the marvelous misadventures of flapjack, just the best cartoon ever.

What is it with GAF and hating anything that's "mainstream"?

IMO Dragonball is easily one of the best anime ever made hands down. Didn't really watch much of it so I decided to revisit a few episodes a year ago and ended up watching the full series.

I only consider One Piece to be superior and that takes massive influences from Dragonball.

And One Piece fans really need to accept that while the anime is incredible, like everything, it does have it's shitty points.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Flying_Phoenix said:
And One Piece fans really need to accept that while the anime is incredible, like everything, it does have it's shitty points.
It definitely does, especially when things are dragged out to extend episode length.

If such a thing happens I hope it goes back to the Dragon ball route when it comes to fighting. It was about techniques, strategy, and etc. DBZ was mainly fly, punch, kick, and energy blasts.

I don't see how could DB be expanded after the Buu saga. I don't think it can.

jaxword

Crakatak187 said:
If such a thing happens I hope it goes back to the Dragon ball route when it comes to fighting. It was about techniques, strategy, and etc. DBZ was mainly fly, punch, kick, and energy blasts.

I don't see how could DB be expanded after the Buu saga. I don't think it can.

This is a pretty nerdy discussion to have, but it's pretty easy. Just let all the main heroes die and the bloodlines get diluted so their POWER LEVELSSSS are down to zero. No energy blasts, no flying, no super saiyans.

Buu saga fucked up everything.

I'm not really sure what they can do at this point but I'm not going to argue.

I will say that if they are going to do this then the animation deserves to be high end.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ZoddGutts said:
It's okay nobody is perfect. Like Blackace liking hockey. One day he'll see the light.

2d1n3ns.gif

You must have me confused with the equally as awesome other black admin

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
One Piece is awesome, and it's far from finished. As long as it avoids another boring arc like Impel Down it'll remain golden. Dragon Ball was awesome, but it started to drag and now it's finished. Don't bring it back Toriyama, it'll only cause confusion at this point.

jj984jj said:
One Piece is awesome, and it's far from finished. As long as it avoids another boring arc like Impel Down it'll remain golden. Dragon Ball was awesome, but it started to drag and now it's finished. Don't bring it back Toriyama, it'll only cause confusion at this point.
Impel Down got pretty awesome once Luffy met up with the transgender crew and escaped with the level-6 prisoners. Getting to Ace on the other hand, yea, was a bore.

Yoboman

jj984jj said:
Impel Down... boring? Are you watching the Anime or reading the manga? Because Impel Down was amazing

KuwabaraTheMan said:
He's forgot about plenty of other characters, including Tao Pai Pai (via an interview with him an Oda).

Does Tao Pai Pai honestly need to be coming back in the first place? Can't his story be basically done?

Also, I may be wrong, but from what I recall, Gohan was trolled because of pressure from either fans or TOEI (can't remember which), who wanted Goku to be the hero.

This seems to be a good place to ask since it was being discussed here. I'm looking to get into One Piece. I hit the part where Tashigi I think her name was, met Zoro for the first time and I did not touch the manga since.

Is the OP manga superior to the anime?

By the way, I'm happy Dragon Ball is getting a boost. Hopefully an eventual anime with the art style of Kai's opening will come about too...

After that anime special I am convinced this COULD be awesome.

That was a great tongue in cheek throwback. Dragonball manga was fucking 100% awesomeness from start to finish anyway.

Yoboman

spindashing said:
This seems to be a good place to ask since it was being discussed here. I'm looking to get into One Piece. I hit the part where Tashigi I think her name was, met Zoro for the first time and I did not touch the manga since.

Is the OP manga superior to the anime?

By the way, I'm happy Dragon Ball is getting a boost. Hopefully an eventual anime with the art style of Kai's opening will come about too...
Yes it is far superior. Pacing is much better.

But the early chapters aren't amazingly translated or scanned, so you'll have to bare with that. It also gets much better as the series goes on

Top Bottom