• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

IrishNinja

ONB89.jpg

Original announcement thread

Title: Yakuza 4
Japanese Title: 龍が如く4 伝説を継ぐもの, "Ryū ga Gotoku 4: Densetsu o Tsugumono"
Release Date: 3/15/2011 (NA). 3/18/2011 (EU). 3/18/2009 (Japan). 3/24/2011 (AU).
Genre: Action-Adventure / Kazuma Kiryu Simulator / Beat-em-up with RPG-like tendencies
Platform: PlayStation 3
Publisher: SEGA
Developer: Amusement Vision / CS1 Team
Official Websites: US
Wiki Page: EN
Price: $59.95 USD at most retailers
Rating: M
Boxarts: look above, son
Did you just jack this format from the part 3 thread: yes stop snitching

Story

wiki says:
As with the original game, most of the action takes place in Kamurocho (a.k.a. Kamuro City), a fictionalized yet realistic recreation of Shinjuku's red-light district, Kabukichō.

Three new locations have been added since Yakuza 3 - a rooftop area, which stretches across a large area of the town; the back streets of Kamurocho, known as "Rojiura" (路地裏?); and a third area called the underground (or "chika" (地下?)), which includes the city's sewers, parking lot and shopping arcades. The underground area is also known as "Kamuchika" (カムチカ?), short for "Kamuro Chika" or "Kamuro Underground".

basically: if you can dig some mafia/kung-fu flick troupes with your beat-em-ups, you'll prolly enjoy this. if tradition holds, expect SERIOUS BUSINESS level drama in the final hour, but by then you'll handle it with confidence #SWAG from being the seemingly immortal Kiryu; seriously, it's a huge deal when a friend/partner survives a fight with 3 or 4 rival yakuza members, but my man takes gunshots and handles hundreds of challengers like he's Bison on a tuesday. so awesome.

Trophies

way easier to plat than 3 was - here's a great guide

Reviews

what is wrong with you
Famitsu - 38/40
EuroGamer - 8/10

A significant step up from Yakuza 3 in terms of visuals and story, Yakuza 4 still lags behind the genre's leaders, lacking the polish in interactions to make it a classic. But this is still a strong, mesmerizing video game, an offer that none should refuse.

Trailers

(generic youtube link)

Demo

Is on PSN, even for us non-PSN+ scrubs. 1.78GB i wanna say, and i'm told it's just fight sequences.

Pre-order bonuses

Sega, Gamestop and others are doing the "free hostess bar dynamic theme" if you're into that kind've thing; if you're in AU (sorry), JB is doing 3 + 4 LE for $109. That probably strikes you as a good price, for having been fucked so long on this sort've thing. again, sorry.

EU:

AaPni.jpg

Yakuza 4 SteelBook Edition Includes:

* Yakuza 4 game in SteelBook packaging
* Bonus costumes for Akiyama, Saejima, Tanimura, Kiryu and Haruka
* Battle against the bosses in survival mode
* Battle in the underground fighting arena
* Race the bosses in underground car parks

Us civilized folk seem to be getting in-game costume DLC, mostly, rather than sexy boxes. Thanks, Sega.
*note: CheapAssGamer has a US Kmart deal for part 3 free with 4, plus a $10 coupon!

Promo material

wallpapers & such here, thanks to Ruby for the link.

F.A.Q. for no-one

Q: I've never played a Yakuza title, can I just jump into this one?

jgb04.gif

A: You totally can. Like every chapter before it, 4 has an excellent video recap of each prior title. Like any franchise, you won't be as emotionally invested in the plight of certain characters, but it's your call - having recently played through 1 and 2, i can tell you: 1 is often called the weakest of the series, and 2 was fantastic/superior on every level; if you get a chance, you should totally give it a go. On that note, reviews have said this one is up there with 2 as the series' finest, so that's good too.

Q: Are we losing content like last time?

A: Short answer is no, with a few caveats:

The Answer X Answer arcade mini-game was unfortunately removed. The team was not able to localize the quiz game since text is in images, which cannot be edited.

The opening video was also changed. Licensing issues prevented Sega from bringing the original song, "Butterfly City" from Zeebra overseas. Instead, Sega created a remix of "For Faith" from Hidenori Shoji to replace the song. All other songs, including the install screen track, are intact.

but that's it; Sega has assured us the hostess bars are indeed back. Also, Ruby pointed out that the extended fight arena DLC stuff on the japanese version is totally on the disc/accessible already, woo hoo!

Q: is this the zombies
i hurrd the zombies

A: You're thinking of Yakuza of the End, a spin-off premiering in Japan right around when we get this one. Demo's still up on the JPN PSN too.
and before you ask: no, no official word on localization, but I tend to think chances are good since it looks like Left 4 Yakuza anyway.

Q: Are there any bonus materials forthcoming?

A: So far, all we know of is a dynamic theme for PSN+ users in mid-april (not to be confused with the hostess theme brought with certain preorders). Additionally, there's an avatar pack on PSN with the main cast.

Q: Hey so when are they localizing Kensan!, anyway?

A: When they find a way to bring a niche samurai title here (and patch in trophies, etc) and make a buck. Signs point to the first of never, but anything can happen. Me, i just grabbed it on the buy/sell thread for about $30, Segata swears the excellent gamefaqs guide + Youtbue channel with subtitles for all major CGs should suffice, and i trust the dude.

Q: Where should I buy this title?

A: I'm glad you asked this! US residents, don't forget that a reliable source at CheapAssGamer says on the 15th (next tuesday!), Kmart's doing a promo: buy Yakuza 4, get part 3 for free and $10 in reward points for your next purchase (don't forget to sign up for a reward card as well). I researched it a bit, apparently the idea is they'll be shipping copies of 3 with 4, so hopefully this'll go smoothly - it's a fantastic way to jump into the series and have a ton of gameplay ahead of you too.

Q: Sup with all these yakuzas, wheres mah Shenmue 3 nahmeans

A: ayo for real, fuck youse guys. You can enjoy both these series/they're not mutually exclusive/why don't you go ask Off Topic about how much to tip Christina Hendricks for circumcision after you cheat on her or some shit.
These questions are horrible.

Q: Hey so where's Segata these days anyway?

A: Ya'll fucked up. blame Donkey Kong, or god.

related - special announcement from a mysterious yet unquestionably superior poster:

someone should clarify the only thing missing is the song from the opening attract mode, which has been removed from every Yakuza game so far and happens to more Japanese games than most English speakers are ever aware of

The story is different from Yakuza 3. It's more of a crime suspense story where you're trying to figure out what happened from the perspectives of different people. I think it's more interesting but it depends on how invested you are in a story about Kazuma Kiryu because while Yakuza 3 was about him, this one is not.

It's a really fun game and I hope everyone enjoys playing as the new characters. Akiyama rules.

the thread has my support

shoutouts to RubyEclipse for spreading info/sega-love all over the net with this title, and Bebpo for giving me the courage to make my first OT with his legendary work on the Kenzan one!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I was waiting on Yakuza 3 after buying the first two right away because of the cuts, so I'm definitely buying this at Kmart, perfect opportunity. Deciding if I should start at the beginning of the series or just play 3 or 4 to start. I feel like I'm really in the mood for these kinds of games.

IrishNinja

Lambtron said:
Deciding if I should start at the beginning of the series or just play 3 or 4 to start. I feel like I'm really in the mood for these kinds of games.

same here; im gonna do 3 first naturally (and GAF helped sell me on it by pointing out the tons of content outside of said bars too), but i totally feel being in the mood for this kinda thing...a lot of what i've been playing this gen has been god of war stuff and 3rd person shooters, a straight pick-up-whatever-and-beat-the-stuffing-outta-these-guys game is right up my alley these days. something here tugs at the Streets of Rage part of my heart.

buhdeh

I'm still deciding if I want to get this one. Played through 1 and 2 just last year and loved them. 3 was kind of meh to me and I didn't enjoy the story at all... it was cheesy as hell (even by Yakuza standards) and the whole orphanage thing, while different, was just a drag.

Does anyone who has played the Japanese version know if the story is more interesting in 4 than in 3?

fernoca

Nice.
You should (could?) add that K-mart is giving away free copies of Yakuza 3 when you buy it in store, during the launch week; plus 10,000 reward points ($10) if you have their ShopYourWay card (which is free and can be used as a $10 discount for anything in the store).

Though I guess most of the ones buying 4 already have 3; but it's a nice incentive.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
IrishNinja said:
Q: Are we losing content like last time?

A: Short answer is no, with one notation in another thread regarding soundtrack choices but that's it; Sega has assured us the hostess bars are indeed back.

They're screwing with the soundtrack now? We lost the theme song last time around, what the heck is out this time? Link to said thread & cut content list plz.

fernoca

IrishNinja said:
^totally just added/expanded on that, thanks man. also, can you expand on the 410 discount thing?
i signed up for the free card here and just printed out a copy till the physical one gets here, that should suffice yeah?
Sorry, was a typo. :p
$10 discount (10,000 reward points) I meant (410 = $10).

Online cards do work, but some people report waiting months to get them in the mail. Also keep your current email always attached to the card-info just in case.

IrishNinja

Lindsay said:
They're screwing with the soundtrack now? We lost the theme song last time around, what the heck is out this time? Link to said thread & cut content list plz.

from the announcement thread:

Siliconera talked to someone at Sega and got the complete list of cuts from Yakuza 4.

Answer x Answer.
The opening song, Butterfly City couldn't be licensed, so it was replaced with a remix of For Faith. All the other songs were kept.

And that's it. Not bad.

I think this is pretty fair, ymmv. adding to OP!

gdt

Bought Yakuza 3 a bit ago, never played a Yakuza game.

Haven't started it yet, but if I dig it, I'll get 4.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
IrishNinja said:
from the announcement thread:

I think this is pretty fair, ymmv. adding to OP!

"Couldn't be licensed" = they didn't feel like paying up no doubt. Cheap but fair enough. The way you put it made think they were going back to 90's anime replacing lotsa music-style lol. Okamiden still takes priority but I may actually buy this one! What'll I do with a 2nd Yakuza 3 disc?... *thinks breakybreaky time!*

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
z7ZAv.png

MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE...

I have just received a communique from the thread's Anonymous General Manager (Not-Segata):

AND I QUOTE said:
someone should clarify the only thing missing is the song from the opening attract mode, which has been removed from every Yakuza game so far and happens to more Japanese games than most English speakers are ever aware of

The story is different from Yakuza 3. It's more of a crime suspense story where you're trying to figure out what happened from the perspectives of different people. I think it's more interesting but it depends on how invested you are in a story about Kazuma Kiryu because while Yakuza 3 was about him, this one is not.

It's a really fun game and I hope everyone enjoys playing as the new characters. Akiyama rules.

the thread has my support

IrishNinja

Lindsay said:
"Couldn't be licensed" = they didn't feel like paying up no doubt. Cheap but fair enough. The way you put it made think they were going back to 90's anime replacing lotsa music-style lol.

yeah, check the link/OP - one arcade trivia mini-game was ditched too, doesn't sound like much of a loss. should be cool.

dallow_bg said:
(you wrote Yakuza 3 for 'title' in the OP)

ahahahaha shameless

*edit: per segata approving of my OP in spirit:

hv88ps.jpg

I wish school wasn't interfering with my console-gaming period! Once this semester is over, Yakuza 4 be the first game on my list!
Shit, it has taken me two months, and I'm only on chapter ten of Dead Space 2. If it takes me that long with a twelve-hour game, I'm fearful with something of a Yakuza length title!

Ronin

lupin23rd said:
They cut out butterfly city and replaced it with a remix of for faith? Sounds like a bonus addition and not a cut.
Boo! It grew on me.

Will buy this again anyway.

hamchan

Trophies

you're not going to plat this one either

Actually, I think this time it's way easier because there's no minigame master.

I still have to platinum Yakuza 3, though the chase sequences in EX-Hard difficulty are really screwing me over.

EDIT: I love For Faith. Best install screen music ever?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
hamchan said:

I still have to platinum Yakuza 3, though the chase sequences in EX-Hard difficulty are really screwing me over.
Yeah, a friend of mine said Y4 was WAY easier to platinum than Y3. Those fucking darts, man

Kaizer

Banned
Can't wait for this, I've had it preordered since January. I need my Yakuza fix, it's been about 4 months since I finished #3.

lupin23rd

hamchan said:

EDIT: I love For Faith. Best install screen music ever?
I did all the submissions in 4 (jp) but didn't bother to do the last one. Maybe I'll play more in english but I really hated that make a hostess trophy....

Six trophies from plat on 3 but dammit the fight sequences you unlock after you beat the game killed me :(

IrishNinja

dallow_bg said:

was that the "men in black" bassline back there on the chorus? heh.

also: didn't know the trophies in 3 were that hard, damn. might go all the way with this one if im not all burned out by the end!

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I've been tapped to review this game but it's looking like I won't even receive the game until the day it comes out.

Ah well.

ah, it'll be more legit that way! feel free to post your review here when you're done, man.

Gravijah

IrishNinja said:
was that the "men in black" bassline back there on the chorus? heh.

also: didn't know the trophies in 3 were that hard, damn. might go all the way with this one if im not all burned out by the end!

ignore the trophies in 3 if you value your sanity

fr4nz

I've just finished Yakuza 3, and I can't wait for 4 ... perfect timing ^^
BTW, the trophies of this one seems a little bit easier that the previous one...

vocab

The song cut is not a big deal. Shit like that happens to anime a lot. There's really nothing Sega could have done. They would have to pay a pretty big license fee. It sucks when it is a really iconic song, but butterfly doesn't seem all that special to me.

hamchan

Seems a lot of people disliked Butterfly City. I quite liked it but at least Sega chose a good replacement.

I've spent the past few days grinding my ass off trying to get the platinum for 3. I could probably be a professional Koi-Koi player now. definitely get your moneys worth if you are OK with grinding.

can't wait for a new yakuza to play! i wish there was some ass big budget game coming out tuesday so i could get it at a midnight launch.

I love that box-art, and I enjoyed the brief demo, so I probably will pick up this game at some point. My Deadly Premonition PS3 import set me back a bit, and with Dissidia 012 on the way, I can't spend too much this month. I also need to finish a few games first.

Malajax

So I heard there was a mahjong minigame in 3 that got cut. Is there a mahjong minigame in 4 that didn't get cut?

It's likely that I'll pick this up eventually when I get my PS3, but if it has mahjong that sweetens the deal. Just having a slightly translated version of Japanese mahjong (for once, though I understand why) would be worth a purchase.

vocab

smuf said:
Can you carry your savegame from Yakuza 3 over or does your level start from scratch?

You might be able to bring it over for some bonuses, but all Yakuza games start you from level 1. You play as four other characters, so being level x would be kinda pointless.

hamchan

smuf said:
Can you carry your savegame from Yakuza 3 over or does your level start from scratch?

I don't think Yakuza 3 save does anything. Kazuma might start a little beefed up once you can play as him to represent his awesomeness, I forget. New guys start from scratch.

It's a different ability system from 3 as well.

Vard

I approve of the OP. (I did Yak 3's OP.)

I'll be getting the game for sure, just not for awhile as I'm currently playing through my backlog.

Malajax said:
So I heard there was a mahjong minigame in 3 that got cut. Is there a mahjong minigame in 4 that didn't get cut?

It's likely that I'll pick this up eventually when I get my PS3, but if it has mahjong that sweetens the deal. Just having a slightly translated version of Japanese mahjong (for once, though I understand why) would be worth a purchase.

Even Yakuza 2 had the mahjong, it was really sad to see it go in 3. It's available again since there is even a trophy related to it :p

Aselith

Would someone mind going on Kmart.com and searching for Yakuza 4 for me? When I search for it, it says item not found. I hope the promo is still valid. I'm definitely in for this joint. I was just contemplating buying Yakuza 3 earlier today for 22 so this will work out well.

I found Y3 to be far too easy on the default setting, and regretted not starting over on Hard.

Is Y4 similar in terms of default difficulty? Should I bump to hard?

Top Bottom