• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League Season 2 - Vorsicht statt nachsicht

Mush

Y04P5.png

All credit for the original photo goes to Dibbz

Welcome one and all to the second season of NeoGAF's Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by the NeoGAF Super GT Committee (SGC) and the NeoGAF Racing League (NRL).

Whether you're a returning competitor from Season 1, or someone who wishes to get amongst the action, know that you're in for an exciting ride. This series features some of the most action-packed racing on a wide range of famous venues that exist in the real world and in Gran Turismo. As you're no doubt aware by now, the League features the Super GT racing series and its pure-bred racing machines. Super GT is Japan's most popular motorsport spectacle and pits the country's most famous car manufacturers in a year-long championship. Constructors such as Nissan, Honda, Toyota (nowadays under its Lexus sub-brand), Subaru and more all compete in fierce races across Japan and beyond to decide who truly is the king of Asian touring cars. While these track weapons are based on production models, the finished product is unlike anything you'd find in a dealership. All competing vehicles have been radically modified for the purpose of just one thing: pure speed. With this single-minded goal in mind, it's a pleasure that the Gran Turismo series (and many others) have allowed those with a passion for cars to live their dreams and their fantasy's that normally wouldn't be possible. With GT5, we are able to live the same dream of those like us in the form of the Super GT League.

The NeoGAF Super GT League uses a team format. This means that each car consists of two drivers who will share that car for the season. Each driver is expected to compete in half of the scheduled races. If a driver can not compete for any reason their position will filled by their team mate, or failing that, a substitute driver which will be provided for them. In the case of having their team mate or a substitute racing in that persons place, no points will be awarded to that drivers personal standing, but points will still be counted towards their teams points standing. In addition, no driver may compete in more than 2 races in succession.

In addition to the range of Premium Super GT models available, for Season 2 we will be including their Standard counterparts as well. This increases the overall selection pool to 34 cars. Here's how the selection process will work.

Potential entrants will have to first find a team mate willing to drive with them, and a name for that team. From there, team must decide on what car they would like to compete in from the following selection pool:

Car Selection Pool

Honda

YFJB2.png

Lexus

YNJ3Q.png

Nissan

VxyY1.png

Toyota

j5eCM.png

Bold/Highlighted denotes Premium Model Cars

Duplicates

If another team has already picked a car with the same model/livery, the duplicate will be removed from the selection pool.

Example: Team GT-R selects the Xanavi Nismo GT-R '08 from available pool of cars. This means that it's sister model, the Xanavi Nismo GT-R '03 will be removed from the list of available cars, to avoid any confusion.

This rule applies to the following cars:

XWvzw.png

Bold/Highlighted denotes Premium Model Cars

New for Season 2

In order to qualify to race for a particular scheduled event, drivers must undertake each of the following:

-Drivers wishing to compete in a scheduled event must attend at least 1 public practice session during the week leading up to the race. These sessions will be announced in advance in the main Super GT League thread, so keep an eye out for times and dates. By definition, a public practice session is an event which has at least 3 attendees at any one time and a Super GT League official in the presence of the session at any one time. However, we will make an exception for those with uncontrollable circumstances such as work, etc.

-Drivers wishing to compete in a scheduled event must also register beforehand in the main League thread or by contacting a Super GT League official via PSN, PM or other means so that we know who we expect to show up on race day. Drivers must register a full 24 hours in advance of race day or they will be excluded from that weekend’s event. If a registered competitor has to pull out or change the driver that will race for the registered team, they must post in the main Super GT thread or contact a Super GT League official no less than an hour before that weekends scheduled event, or face a point’s penalty.
There will now be a weight ballast system introduced for high finishers. For the next race that driver competes in, they will require to add an extra 100, 75 or 50kg to their car if they finished 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, respectively. The added weight will be tied to the person who earned the ballast and not the car/team.

Example: Team Raybrig driver Mush finishes 1st, he will be required to add an extra 100kg of ballast to his car at the next race he competes in. If his team mate competes in a following race and finishes outside the top 3, he won't have to add any weight to his car, and won't inherent any weight from Mush.
Two new assists will be available for drivers to use: Rigidity Improvement and Traction Control. These will be entirely optional and up to the individual to use them as they see fit.
Over the course of the race, drivers must have take at least one compulsory pit stop for tyres and fuel.
In order to maintain a fair balance among the cars, the Lexus cars are eligible for a boost in power to make them more competitive. Those who wish to use any of the 4 Lexus models available are entitled to install a Stage 2 (and only Stage 2) Turbo from the Tuning Shop.
As well as this, ALL MODELS will be set at the following power/weight ratio: 502BHP/1100KG. If you are competing using one of the following vehicles that are already over the weight, and receive weight ballast from scoring a top 3 finish, you will only have to add weight adding up to 1200kg, total.

Example: Epson Racing scores a 2nd place finish at an event, and would normally be required by the regulations to add 75kg of ballast for the next race. However, because their car weighs 1150kg by default, they will only be required to add 50kg of ballast, adding up to the 1200kg limit.
Where do I sign up?

Here. Just fill out all the required fields and you're good to go. In the case of any clashes between teams wanting the same car, we'll contact you.

We? I thought it was just you, Mush.

Sort of. Over the course of Season 1 in became increasingly clear that I wasn't always able to keep on top of things. So, for Season 2, there will be two familiar faces from Season 1 that will be helping to keep things on track.

Introducing the NeoGAF Super GT Committee (SGC)!

The Committee is composed of myself, UFRA and Angst.

The beauty of this group is that we're all in different time-zones as this detailed diagram shows:

xeHJo.png

Yes, humorous isn't it.

If you have any issues or burning questions, feel free to contact either one of us three via PSN or Private Message, or simply just post in here.

Just filled in the form.

Registred the BRGP team, with myself and chimilosky.

Chose the Xanavi Nismo GT-R ´08, and as an alternative, the Motul Autech we drove on Season one.

I know you asked for different models on there, but i would need a third or fourth option for that.

So, if needed. Third car choice: Takata Dome NSX ´03.

Woo-hoo! Let´s go Season two!

Edit: press releases later on tonight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think Dead Man and I would like to claim the first Toyota Supra Woodone Tom's JGTC '97, alternatively the '05 would be nice. Or the Honda NSX ARTA if you're opening the car flood right now. Alternatively

If there is some other way to claim them I'll read the OP more carefully.

Toxa

Capsule Corp Racing Team (RouD + Toxa) will take the Castrol Tom's Supra 97
alternative GTR xanavi 03

Niks

Filled the form.

Team: Foxtrot Oscar
Drivers: Niks and UFRA
Car: Toyota Supra Woodone Toms 03
Backup: Toyota Supra au Cerumo 01

ashk

Will all races really be at 23 GMT? That's 1 AM in CET now that DST has come into effect. If so, I'll have to drop out of the league.

Mush said:
...and we're done here.

Post away, gentlemen!

(seattle is exempt from this rule, it seems)

:p

Sorry, quick trigger. Did you needed any more space? Well, i hope that wasn´t the case.

Is it cool to advertise this league whenever possible? (I really want us to get 14 teams togheter for this one).

Toxa

ashk said:
Will all races really be at 23 GMT? That's 1 AM in CET now that DST has come into effect. If so, I'll have to drop out of the league.

yeah it's too late

brentech

Risk Breaker and I both sent in forms as we weren't sure who would be available to do so -- apparently we both were. So yeah. Hopefully our team name sticks, as it's bound to a specific car.

=D

Thread is looking pretty swanky. Like the banner.
Also just wanted to add that my Toyota YellowHat from season one only topped @ like 498hp. So that might be an issue, given that it does weigh 15kg less stock. More weight, less HP. Doubt anyone is enamored enough to claim that car anyways.

^^^^^^ lol, beaten :p

I filled the form too.

Team name: Calsonic Boom (provisional, hope we get the car)
Drivers: brentech and Risk Breaker
Car: Calsonic GT-R '08
Alternative car: Xanavi GT-R '08

Wait, I just saw the 2300GMT time too. That's a too late here, I'm afraid... At least it's on Saturday.

I have one question about the rules: in the pit stop, do you have to change tyres AND refuel or is refueling optional?

Mush

ashk said:
That time is definitely subject to change, as well as the tracks we'll be using. We'll keep you and Toxa posted.

We here at the NeoGAF Super GT Committee care about our European friends and take all inquires seriously. Please allow 7-10 for postage and handling.

brentech

Risk Breaker said:
I filled the form too.

Team name: Calsonic Boom (provisional, hope we get the car)
Drivers: breantech and Risk Breaker
Car: Calsonic GT-R '08
Alternative car: Xanavi GT-R '08

Wait, I just saw the 2300GMT time too. That's a too late here, I'm afraid... At least it's on Saturday.

I have one question about the rules: in the pit stop, do you have to change tyres AND refuel or is refueling optional?
Refueling is optional, just have to hit the pits.

TheSeks

Oh! Okay, filled the form out. Hopefully the Supra (that Dead Man wanted) or the NSX (alt that he wanted) aren't claimed. I'm not sure if those are the best, but he wanted to try those and I'm all for having an easier to drive car on a controller. So hopefully I picked good. *fingers crossed*

If people are doing "press releases" I guess I can make/write a funny snippet in a little while.

ashk

Mush said:
That time is definitely subject to change, as well as the tracks we'll be using. We'll keep you and Toxa posted.

We here at the NeoGAF Super GT Committee care about our European friends and take all inquires seriously. Please allow 7-10 for postage and handling.

Thank you for the prompt response, I hope we get an earlier time slot. The old time (which would now be 20:00 GMT) was perfect for me, and unless races start exactly on time I don't think I could manage a later start.

brentech said:
Refueling is optional, just have to hit the pits.

Good, I want to see someone running out of fuel in the last lap (most likely, me) :D

I wanted to add that I like the provisional track list a lot except Madrid but we have to have a city course I guess, Bernie Mu$h and all that... j/k. I see you guys didn't race on Monaco on season 1, I personally love Monaco but I don't want to start saying "change this, change that!"

I hope we can have the car selection, times and track list ready soon, so the Super GT Committee Triforce can rest and have some fun. OP looks great, thank you for organizing this guys.

PS: I have to say that anything between 2000GMT and 2200GMT is mostly fine by me, though obviously the sooner the better, it can be too soon for our friends on the other side(s) of the ocean(s).

Toxa

it looks like I've filled a bit late I just hope I will get the supra tom's 97 car I was claiming since the middle of the first season , its really important for my team.

Toxa

Risk Breaker said:
Good, I want to see someone running out of fuel in the last lap (most likely, me) :D

I wanted to add that I like the provisional track list a lot except Madrid but we have to have a city course I guess, Bernie Mu$h and all that... j/k. I see you guys didn't race on Monaco on season 1, I personally love Monaco but I don't want to start saying "change this, change that!"

I hope we can have the car selection, times and track list ready soon, so the Super GT Committee Triforce can rest and have some fun. OP looks great, thank you for organizing this guys.

PS: I have to say that anything between 2000GMT and 2200GMT is mostly fine by me, though obviously the sooner the better, it can be too soon for our friends on the other side(s) of the ocean(s).

2100gmt was perfect

Mush

ashk said:
Thank you for the prompt response, I hope we get an earlier time slot. The old time (which would now be 20:00 GMT) was perfect for me, and unless races start exactly on time I don't think I could manage a later start.
OK, my associates tell me that we would be able to move back to the old 21:00GMT slot after the completion of the first 2 rounds of the championship. I know this isn't ideal for everyone, but it's the best we can do.

ashk

Mush said:
OK, my associates tell me that we would be able to move back to the old 21:00GMT slot after the completion of the first 2 rounds of the championship. I know this isn't ideal for everyone, but it's the best we can do.

I don't know about the time in New Zealand, but Europe had a daylight savings time switch this weekend so we're now +2 GMT here instead of +1. I think North America did a switch earlier. So what I'm trying to say is the same time slot would now be 20:00 GMT. But if that's not possible I'll try to make 21 work.

Mush

ashk said:
I don't know about the time in New Zealand, but Europe had a daylight savings time switch this weekend so we're now +2 GMT here instead of +1. I think North America did a switch earlier. So what I'm trying to say is the same time slot would now be 20:00 GMT. But if that's not possible I'll try to make 21 work.
We have our daylight savings this weekend and we go 1 hour back (it's 11am Wednesday here so I have no idea how that works out for you guys).

Toxa

Mush said:

yeah 23gmt is really too late for europe (1am in france 1am for nab) but I know 2100gmt is early for NZ so it's hard to find a good time zone

TheSeks

Mush said:
We have our daylight savings this weekend and we go 1 hour back (it's 11am Wednesday here so I have no idea how that works out for you guys).

Truly, our brothers in the south are living upside in the world.

"Fall BACK, Spring AHEAD"

EG: +1 in Spring for DST. -1 in Fall for DST.

WHAT SCOURERY IS THIS THAT YOU AREN'T +1 IN THE SPRING!?

Mush

Toxa said:
yeah 23gmt is really too late for europe (00am in france 1am for nab) but I know 2100gmt is early for NZ so it's hard to find a good time zone
Well I'm (and Dead Man/Juicy Bob) are in the minority here, so I'm trying to cater to the rest of the world. I take pride in knowing I'm not getting my lazy ass out of bed for myself, but for you guys. :p

ashk said:

Oh, wait, that's right, silly me. I, too, would like the same time slot as before. I see the time in NZ right now is 11am, so racing at 20:00GMT would mean 9AM over there (actually 8AM, ouch, sorry Mush and company)... EST would be 4PM and PST would be 1PM. Surely we'll be able to work something out.

As I said, it's a saturday so if needed, 21GMT would be fine as long as the whole race doesn't take two hours, but 23GMT would mean 1AM here, we could fall asleep while driving ;) It's a little too much.

Toxa

ashk said:

lol I've forgot it was GMT+ 2 for us now LMAO 1am is really too late, wait an entire day for a race is crazy lol xD

ashk

Mush said:

Lol OK, I wasn't expecting that you'd go backwards :p I guess this just makes the problem worse. I don't want to be a whiner but honestly 21 GMT is the latest that I could make it.

@TheSeks: I think their seasons are upside down too :p

Konosuke

Man, SSF4 is really distracting me. Season 2 is coming fast. 21 to 23 GMT is fine with me.

Team GT-R Nismo has been disbanded and as such I need a new teammate.
Pretty please?

Driver Introductions:

Buiu Racing Grand Prix (BRGP)

Kayque Chimilosky

Chimilosky wants to build upon season one experience

Young driver relishes opportunity to race for Nissan, and now focus on wins

Brazilian rookie Kayque Chimilosky caught everyone´s attention last season, when he got a last minute call from the 2k Runners team to replace retired driver Viakado. Nobody in the paddock knew who he was, but the early results made him a valuable asset on SuperGT. “I´m just happy to be where I am right now. Nissan was very kind to us, so now we have to go for wins this season. I feel like i´m acclimated, so i´m ready to push”.

The confidence is a result of the championship captured last season. The performance was rewarded by Nissan, who now treats the team as the number one in terms of factory support. With the change, Chimilosky and Francisco Souza now drive the new Xanavi GT-R, with enhancements such as a lighter chassis and a new rigidity program.

“Hopefully the improvements are enough to match what the other teams did. I know Capsule Corp evolved a lot, and we also have this new ballast system in place, so we have to be on top of our game if we want to keep winning”.

Chimilosky ended the season with a forgettable 11th place finish at Nurburgring, in a race that included a shouting match with French driver Toxian Prost. “Incidents happen and sometimes people are not fine with some bumps and bruises. I´m not gonna back down if I feel i´m right. Nissan and BRGP support my driving style, so i´m gonna keep doing my job”, added the Brazilian.

Season two starts on april 16th, and Chimilosky will be at the helm on the opening round, at Suzuka. Fans can tune in to Vissione TV to watch the race, at 22:00 GMT. VissioneTV beat out several other cable companies and snatched the rights the broadcast the ten races of the SuperGT season outside of Japan. “I´m glad more people will be viewing the races… I have friends and family in my country that will be cheering for me”, said a smiling Chimilosky.

Driver Introductions:

Buiu Racing Grand Prix (BRGP)

Francisco Souza

Fasj looking to repeat as SuperGT champ

Pleased with the results, experienced driver now wants to go after a second trophy

A constant figure on the paddocks of JGTC racing, Francisco Souza now finds itself happy again in the SuperGT league. Francisco, or just Fasj like his friends call him, knows the pressure of being the champion and the hurdles ahead trying to prevent him from winning it all again. “I know I have a big target on my back. Everybody wants to beat out team, so I know the effort has to be twice as much as it was last season”.

The Brazilian, whose nickname rhymes with fast, says this is nothing but a coincidence. “Actually it´s just the first letters of my full name, but early on here I used to get all kinds of jokes about fasj not being fast and things like that. I´m glad it worked out for me and i´m able to keep racing in the SuperGT league”.

With the celebrations behind, the driver now focus on the regulations changes for this upcoming season. “I think ballast will even things out. It will make the drafting effect of those machines even more evident”, explained Fasj.

BRGP already contacted SuperGT producer and CEO, Kazunori Yamauchi, about changes in the aerodynamics department, in order to reduce the effect of slipstreaming. “They were pretty mum about this. They won´t change it for the forseeable future, so we have to adapt. We have to be more than a second per lap faster than the car behind to be able to get away”.

If the new rules concern the drivers, they will surely make up for an exciting season. “It will be nice for the fans out there. We know we would like to have things easy, but it is what it is. I can´t wait to get on my GT-R and start practicing for this season”, finished Fasj.

Mush

Here at the NeoGAF Super GT Committee, we care about our clients, and as such, we'll go to the ends of the earth to cater for them in whatever way necessary. This is just a friendly check-up to see if the entrants registered so far are happy with their secondary choices, as their has been some clashes among teams.

BRGP - Nissan GT-R Motul Autech Super GT '08
UnDead Seks - Honda NSX ARTA Super GT '06

If you're happy to go ahead with your back-up car, let us know.

Not sure who picked the regular Xanavi, but it´s ok with us. It´s basically the same car, specially with the ballast coming into play this season.

We´re good to go with the Motul Autech also.

TheSeks

You might have to wait on Dead Man to make sure he's totally okay with that. I just mostly blind picked with the idea of what he wanted. AFAIK, the NSX is fine. May not be the logo/team he wants though. Let him confirm that.

Dead Man

TheSeks said:
Oh! Okay, filled the form out. Hopefully the Supra (that Dead Man wanted) or the NSX (alt that he wanted) aren't claimed. I'm not sure if those are the best, but he wanted to try those and I'm all for having an easier to drive car on a controller. So hopefully I picked good. *fingers crossed*

If people are doing "press releases" I guess I can make/write a funny snippet in a little while.
Shit, just saw the OP and filled in the form. Just do what you can Mush, If the cars are all being equal in power I would love the Yellowhat Supra I selected. Not too fussed though really, Seks selections sound fine too.

TheSeks

Dead Man said:
Shit, just saw the OP and filled in the form. Just do what you can Mush, If the cars are all being equal in power I would love the Yellowhat Supra I selected. Not too fussed though really, Seks selections sound fine too.

Go with the Yellowhat if it isn't already taken, man.

Mush

New partnerships for the new season

With the dawn of the new championship season upon everyone, the opening round at Suzuka is fast approaching.

And for the new season, NZGR will take to the grid with a fresh look and new talent under the banner of A Drinks Company. "I'm very happy to announce today our plans for the new season." said Mush, former head of the now disbanded NZGR racing team. "We believe we have what it takes to improve on our opening season and go for the title. And to help us do that, it is my pleasure to announce the signing of Dibbz, formally of Team Ni-san fame."

Dibbz, a veteran of the BTCC (British Touring Car Championship) impressed many in his debut season, quickly adapting to the different style of the Asian motor racing scene, and admits it was hard making a decision on where to go next. "To be perfectly honest, last season was a mixed bag of emotions. On one hand, we had a very competitive car and and great support from Nissan as one of their 3 factory-run teams. But in the end, we left our run too late and that cost us a chance at the title." commented Dibbz at the season launch press conference today.

"It took me a while to figure out what the next step was. I had a lot of offers from many different teams, and even considered heading back home for another run at the BTCC, but in the end, I decided to join A Drinks Company for the new campaign."

Dibbz managed to take out Round 6 at Fuji Speedway while Mush was piped to the post in the race for 1st at Round 7 by Dibbz's former team-mate, Angst, in what was the closest race of the season.

A Drinks Company will be the new backing name behind the familiar cobalt blue and chrome colours of the NSX. The energy giant further continues it's support of all forms of motorsport worldwide, with this the company's first crack at the lucrative Super GT market.

"We've always looked at the Super GT as the premier racing discipline in Asia and we're proud to be a part of the driving force behind this new partnership." the company announced today in a press release.

The new season gets under away at Suzuka Circuit on April 16.

Angst

1. The Deers (ashk + MikeDub) - Nissan Xanavi '08
1. Calsonic Boom (risk breaker + brentech) - Nissan Calsonic '08
3. My Fairlady (Angst + gutterboy44) - Nissan Xanavi Z '06
4. Buiu Racing Grand Prix (BRGP) (seattle6418 + chimilosky) - Nissan Motul Autech '08
5. Foxtrot Racing (Niks + UFRA) - Toyota Woodone '03
6. A Drinks Company (Mush + Dibbz) - Honda NSX ARTA Super GT ´06
7. UnDeadSeks (TheSeks + Dead Man) - Honda NSX Epson Super GT ´08
8. Capsule Corp Racing (Toxa + l2ound) - Toyota Castrol Supra ´97
9. Digital Wind (Polyphony + kaze13) - Nissan GT-R Yellow Hat YMS Tomica Super GT ´08

There's still a lot of former drivers and new drivers that have expressed their interest in returning that hasn't yet signed up. Good news is that there is still a lot of good cars available.

What are the Committee's thoughts regarding the damage type? Season 2 looks like a lot of fun, but I'm waiting on that to decide if I want to register.

Mush

Permadeath said:
What are the Committee's thoughts regarding the damage type? Season 2 looks like a lot of fun, but I'm waiting on that to decide if I want to register.
As of now, we'll be sticking with Heavy Damage.

ashk

Great team name Mush and Dibbz :p I hope you don't expect to win or anything though, after all you are just a drinks company.

Toxa

Capsule Corp Racing Official Press Release

Road to the Championship Title !

Constancy

After the surprising first season (5 Podium in 8 races) Capsule Corp Racing (CCR) will remain unchanged for the next season.
Toxa and Round did a great season and they will once again together, CCR also remains a Toyota Team "We believe that stability will be key".

A New Car

During the Off-Season CCR decided to drop the old car (Lexus), CCR and Toyota engineers worked hard to design a brand new car .
"The old car wasn't very competitive the last season"said Toxa.

Capsule Corp Racing is proud to unveiled the Castrol Supra 97 :

5402559223_17afdb6f4e.jpg

The Supra has proved effective during the off season "This car represents our commitment to providing the best equipment to our drivers".
"This car has great potential" said Round.
The new car is not the only major change CCR has chosen a new tire manufacturer "Bridgestone" that should increase the performance of the car.

Bridgestone_logo.gif

Goals

"Our Goals are simple, win the both Championship starting by winning the opening Round"
CRR expects a difficult season, but intends to strike hard !

61457507158113f5e22.jpg

Top Bottom