• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 109: Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wikipedia: "Sound is a mechanical wave that is an oscillation of pressure transmitted through a solid, liquid, or gas, composed of frequencies within the range of hearing and of a level sufficiently strong to be heard, or the sensation stimulated in organs of hearing by such vibrations."

Theme: Sound

While on mushrooms one fine day (many years ago) i noticed that my senses were confused/ mixed up. For instance, sound would directly translate to images.
I think there could be interesting ways to visualise sound. A lot of things have destinctive sounds, but one could also play around with the concept of sound. Anyway, that's all up to you.

Submissions are due by Sunday, April 10th at 11:59 PM EDT.

Voting begins Monday April 11th at 12:00 AM EDT and endsTuesday April 12th at 11:59 PM EDT.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

If the period is too short or too long, please let me know.
I hope many people will contribute. Good luck!
And thanx for the people that voted for me in the previous thread!!! It was crazy close.
In fact three people had the same amount of votes... so i lucked out on that one :)

Always-honest said:
If the period is too short or too long, please let me know.
A little long, maybe? If you made the deadline Sunday, April 10, that would still be twelve days of shooting including two weekends. I think if you have the extra week in there we'll just see a lull or loss of interest for a while.

Lucky Forward said:
A little long, maybe? If you made the deadline Sunday, April 10, that would still be twelve days of shooting including two weekends. I think if you have the extra week in there we'll just see a lull or loss of interest for a while.
That was the first date i had in mind, but i thought that people would think 12 days would be too short.

I'll make it shorter. I think people here work best under pressure (given the amount of late entries in many of the contests ;P)

RSZ6_1453ps2.jpg

Canon 7D, 17-85mm, ISO 800, 1.6 sec, f/8.0

This was all done in-camera, I light-painted the speaker with yellow and red flashlights held in one hand while I zoomed in during the exposure with the other. My 17-85mm lens doesn't seem to zoom smoothly, instead it made little jumps as I turned it, but I thought that worked well to suggest sound waves pulsing at you.

mrkgoo

Lucky Forward said:
Canon 7D, 17-85mm, ISO 800, 1.6 sec, f/8.0

This was all done in-camera, I light-painted the speaker with yellow and red flashlights held in one hand while I zoomed in during the exposure with the other. My 17-85mm lens doesn't seem to zoom smoothly, instead it made little jumps as I turned it, but I thought that worked well to suggest sound waves pulsing at you.

I like the idea, but what the heck, when did you get a 7D? How do you like it?

Always-honest: familiar with the term "synaethesia"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaesthesia

mrkgoo said:

Always-honest: familiar with the term "synaethesia"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaesthesia
Nope, but interesting stuff. Thanx.

And the 7D is awesome. I has all those little extras that really come in handy whe you want to make the next step in DSLR camera shooting.

Lucky Forward said:
Well done. The jumps turn out to be an advantage in this case :p

Salsa

Alright, time for a different approach :p

190117_1636263234195_1465141727_1334952_1526936_n.jpg

The idea behind it really was sound. Kinda visualizing it (or rather the pleasant feeling it can produce) through natural means avoiding to touch up the photo digitally. I thought it was a neat idea and im pretty happy with the result, at least as a concept realized. I like the "enjoying some music" face and the subtle headphones gesture.

mrkgoo said:
I've been going through a dry spell with my photography for a while, so I decided it was time to retire my six-year-old 20D and I pulled the trigger on the 7D about three weeks ago. I'm loving the big LCD screen, 8fps, the advanced auto-focus, and little things like the view-screen grid and bringing up your settings with the Q button. The build quality and heft are also an upgrade over the 20D (7D + 85L = Heavy). I want to get back to contributing to the general photography thread, but I haven't really taken much worth posting yet...just lots of high-speed 8fps action shots of Bear. ;)

Lucky Forward said:
I've been going through a dry spell with my photography for a while, so I decided it was time to retire my six-year-old 20D and I pulled the trigger on the 7D about three weeks ago. I'm loving the big LCD screen, 8fps, the advanced auto-focus, and little things like the view-screen grid and bringing up your settings with the Q button. The build quality and heft are also an upgrade over the 20D (7D + 85L = Heavy). I want to get back to contributing to the general photography thread, but I haven't really taken much worth posting yet...just lots of high-speed 8fps action shots of Bear. ;)
Same here. It's such a perfect upgrade from the 20D. I'm completely happy with the 7D

mrkgoo

Lucky Forward said:

Awesome! Yeah, i've been a lull too. Picked up a 50mm f1.4 before the price hike - nothing like new gear to stimulate the photo bug, huh? ;)

Salsas ark- really like that image!

Dammit, I have an idea I like, but would probably require a macro lens. I have one on order too, but won't be here by the deadline. :(

Sofo

GL guys! I couldn't come up with anything worth a damn. ): Participation is already low as it is.

Heh guys, did manage to come up with something, is first time entering this thing, and too be honest don't really think my chances are that high of getting most votes, but i'm not really in it to win, more kinda want some feedback as well, just to see if people like my photos or not, not been taking pics long, but started becoming more and more interesting.

for this challenge, sound, the phrase in the description about things having very definite sounds really jumped out at me, so i thought i'd go with the picture i have posted below,

is an R2D2 alarm clock, but i went for this not becomes alarms clocks make noise, but more the very definitive noise R2D2 creates, like if one has seen star wars as many have, i kinda see that viewers of the franchise are so familiar with R2D2's bleeps and bloops,

i know its a bit off the theme, and am probably clutching at straws to link it, but yeah heres my submission,

really hope for some feedback, thanks :D

x3s2e8.jpg

EDIT: just looked at the photo details and thought i'd add them as i have noticed a few others doing so

Canon EOS 1000D, Focal Length 55, Exposure 1/15, Fnumber 5.6,
also under profiles on the camera i put colour tone and contrast up to max and reduced saturation

My son (3) is scared of the sound of jet fighters (making practice flights). It makes him cover his ears and scream like a girl. :p :S
n5pkz6.jpg

Canon 7D
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8 (@33mm)
f4.5
1/3200
ISO: 400

Isamu Dyson said:
@Always-Honest, i apologise if this feedback ends up seeming a bit lackluster, really doesn't mean to, is just as you can see from my post i have written quite a bit, probably shouldn't have left you till last, but i hope my vote speaks for itself as best as it can. k, first up the photo is really cool, its bright, cheerful and fun. it also brought back some memories, i used to do the same as a child, when planes were flying over head, so i do feel for your son and also for you having him screaming his head off. really do like the photo though, it also seems very noisy, not noisy as in visual effect noisy as in by looking at in a get a really sense of the sound that is occurring within the photo, ur sons expression really does jump out and produce an imagined sound. i also like that the design on his clothes are to do with sound, wether staged on not i think its cool, did you intentionally dress him like this? i also really enjoy that the photo isn't to do with music and that it's a great photo regardless of the theme, certainly does transcend the theme, which i like. sorry i don't have much more to say, without repeating myself, just really do think its a fantastic photo, my apologies if the feedback was lackluster, ur son is very cute btw, looks like a bit of a cheeky chappy
Thanx. And the clothes were were a convenient coincidence. I only noticed it on the photograph myself.

My votes (will try to give feedback later.. gotta work.. sowwy):

1 Lucky forward
2 SalsaShark

Always-honest said:
Thanx. And the clothes were were a convenient coincidence. I only noticed it on the photograph myself.

ahaha, is a very cool coincidence, but yeah great photo again :D
hope work is treating you as best it can

whitehawk said:
My vote goes to Lucky Forward

you need a second one as well :)

feel i posted before voting started so have moved it down here, sorry if this confuses things

just gonna list my votes then will give feedback to everyone, was really hard this week as i thought the submissions were all pretty great, so yeah my feedback might just end up being positives, so i apologise if it lacks in constructive criticism

Vote 1: SalsaShark

Vote 2: Always-Honest

@Lucky Forward, hi really thought the photo was interesting, like the way that the zoom has created the pulsing effect, conjuring up images of both sound waves, but also the way in which speakers do this while playing music, in addition to this, the way its lit has given a sense of music, both in terms of the way in which waveforms technically have a colour and also the sensation and images music can produce within your head, i didn't give it a vote because as much as i liked it i just preferred other's, i'd really like to try and give a constructive criticism, but if i'm honest i can't really criticize it, if i was forced to i guess i could say you took the theme literally, but too be honest thats only if i'm being forced, literal isn't always a bad thing when it produce such a great result as you did, it was a great photo and i really appreciate that it was all done in camera, as when u first look at it, seems like it wouldn't, great technical skill was obviously used to capture this photo, if there was a third you would probably have received it

@SalsaShark, you got my top vote so i obviously love the photo, straight off the bat i like how it does in my eyes exactly what you were trying to capture, really does give off that sense of enjoying music, on top of this i also think it produces some of the magical and almost ethereal effects that music can have on people, whether its just them enjoying it or while in a state of intoxication from alchohol or drugs, really think to me gives off a sense of synaesthesia as mentioned by, mrkgoo. the lighting really makes things seem magical, and to your subject it really seems like nothing else matters in the world to her right now but the sensation music is producing, the headphone gesture adds to this, and i think makes the picture seem like it is about music, without having to have prior knowledge that it was taken whilst thinking of the theme of sound, the theme isn't needed for your photo to conjure up thoughts of music. i know this is a side note, but yeah the girl in your photo is rather pretty.

@Max Armstrong, hi was really happy to see another newcomer to the thread kinda made me less nervous about showing off my work to a group who have quite a history of showing each other photos, this isn't to say i was presuming the people in this thread would be unwelcoming, just yeah being a newcomer its a big thing i think showing your work off, but yeah back to your photo and less about the thread. i do like that the only thing that can be seen in your photo is the white on your guitar and the strings, i also really like that the focus of the photo is the middle pick up, think the way that the strings lack focus upon them really gives off a sense of sound pulsating, kinda like what lucky forward went for. were the strings still when you took this photo? or is it just how you took the photo, would like to know more bout the process that went into if thats cool. but yeah it didn't get a vote because to be honest it wasn't the best photo in the thread, i liked the photo but others were just better, and i think you were right in saying it wasn't that original, but to be honest originality doesn't matter if the photo is off a very high quality. yeah don't wanna offend because yeah there wasn't anything really wrong with your photo, just yeah it didn't jump out as being better than others, was good to a newcomer and really hope you keep it up and look forward to seeing more of your work :D

@pringles, hi pringles, remember being really liking the photo you produced for the life thread, however i didn't give you feedback so i apologise, it was a great photo, however back to this one, you did it again, produced a really nice photo that i like quite a bit, i liked the composition, its nicely lit and yeah the choice to have it black and white, really helps it i think, i think the colours of the different cd spines would have been distracting, the contrast in them is pretty fantastic, not sure whether you purposefully chose specific cds or just grabbed a pile, maybe you could divulge if thats cool, also really enjoy how the contrast has caused 'sound' to really jump out on the yamaha, the cd collection is cool, you seem to have good taste, ur avatar i think certainly says it all,

@Always-Honest, i apologise if this feedback ends up seeming a bit lackluster, really doesn't mean to, is just as you can see from my post i have written quite a bit, probably shouldn't have left you till last, but i hope my vote speaks for itself as best as it can. k, first up the photo is really cool, its bright, cheerful and fun. it also brought back some memories, i used to do the same as a child, when planes were flying over head, so i do feel for your son and also for you having him screaming his head off. really do like the photo though, it also seems very noisy, not noisy as in visual effect noisy as in by looking at in a get a really sense of the sound that is occurring within the photo, ur sons expression really does jump out and produce an imagined sound. i also like that the design on his clothes are to do with sound, wether staged on not i think its cool, did you intentionally dress him like this? i also really enjoy that the photo isn't to do with music and that it's a great photo regardless of the theme, certainly does transcend the theme, which i like. sorry i don't have much more to say, without repeating myself, just really do think its a fantastic photo, my apologies if the feedback was lackluster, ur son is very cute btw, looks like a bit of a cheeky chappy

ps. i apologise to everyone if you think i have spelt colour wrong or used s's instead of z's in words like criticise, i'm just english, not poor at grammar.

EDIT: also just took a second look at my photo, does anyone know why this has gone chunky and pixelated, its not like that on the camera, its not like that on my computer yet has gone like this when posted, this isn't trying to sway peoples opinion or anything, just trying to figure out what happened so i can make sure it doesn't happen next time i post, thanks for the help in advance :D

Isamu Dyson said:
EDIT: also just took a second look at my photo, does anyone know why this has gone chunky and pixelated, its not like that on the camera, its not like that on my computer yet has gone like this when posted, this isn't trying to sway peoples opinion or anything, just trying to figure out what happened so i can make sure it doesn't happen next time i post, thanks for the help in advance :D
probably the compression caused by the uploading site (tinypic for instance)

edit: forgot to tell you, but i had (maybe still have some where) that exact same alarm clock :).
Daamn i had waaay too much Star Wars stuff :p. Sold almost everything a year ago..

Always-honest said:
probably the compression caused by the uploading site (tinypic for instance)

edit: forgot to tell you, but i had (maybe still have some where) that exact same alarm clock :).
Daamn i had waaay too much Star Wars stuff :p. Sold almost everything a year ago..

oh right, thanks for getting back to me on that, was rather helpful, who would u suggest using instead to stop this happening in the future.

it is an odd day for coincidence, i used to do the same as ur son regarding planes and u possessed the same alarm clock, ahahaha, i knew it was a wild card doing that for sound, but thought why not

EDIT: maybe this makes me your three year old son, who has secretly left home and started roaming neogaf

Isamu Dyson said:
oh right, thanks for getting back to me on that, was rather helpful, who would u suggest using instead to stop this happening in the future.

it is an odd day for coincidence, i used to do the same as ur son regarding planes and u possessed the same alarm clock, ahahaha, i knew it was a wild card doing that for sound, but thought why not

EDIT: maybe this makes me your three year old son, who has secretly left home and started roaming neogaf
in that case, i just changed your shitty diaper. Potty time junior!
:p

You requested some feedback. Sorry that i'm so busy, cause i want to give proper feedback.
I think the good part about your photo is that everybody (at least on this forum) knows how R2-D2 sounds. You can't look at R2-D2 and not here that sound in your mind.
However, people could just think it's a figurine. If you could have somehow made it clear that it really makes sound/ is an alarm clock, i think the image could have been better.

Also, i noticed it wasn't sharp. Was that intentionally?

Hope it helps... Great that you joined in. I hope to see many more photos from you.

Cheers.

Danielsan

1. SalsaShark
2. Always-honest

Couldn't come up with a decent idea for the theme, despite really loving it. Didn't help that the competition was absolutely killer this time around. Great job everyone!

Always-honest said:
in that case, i just changed your shitty diaper. Potty time junior!
:p

You requested some feedback. Sorry that i'm so busy, cause i want to give proper feedback.
I think the good part about your photo is that everybody (at least on this forum) knows how R2-D2 sounds. You can't look at R2-D2 and not here that sound in your mind.
However, people could just think it's a figurine. If you could have somehow made it clear that it really makes sound/ is an alarm clock, i think the image could have been better.

Also, i noticed it wasn't sharp. Was that intentionally?

Hope it helps... Great that you joined in. I hope to see many more photos from you.

Cheers.

so thats why i smelled so bad, all makes sense now, it's cool that ur busy, didn't have to worry bout it, u being busy is more important than giving feedback.

glad you appreciated what i was going for, with everyone knowing the sounds r2d2 makes, and think ur certainly right about making it clearer about it making noise other than what the character suggest.

yeah it isn't that sharp, which i am slightly disappointed about, but that wasn't intentional at all, its in fact pretty sharp on my computer, well at lest the dome is, as that was my intentional point of focus, however even that seems to have lost some of the crispness during the uploading process, which i asked about earlier, kinda has just numbed the whole photo a bit, not making excuses, just yeah it wasn't meant to be like that, should prob find a better uploader, or do it right next time, if it was just a matter of pressing a certain option.

also thanks for being welcoming

thanks dad, lol

pringles

1) SalsaShark - beautiful photo and I totally think you succeeded in the difficult task of visualizing "sound" without being too obvious or reaching.
2) Lucky Forward - this may be a relatively straightforward take on the theme but nevertheless I think your execution makes it into something special. Very cool that you did it all in-camera.

other comments:

max armstrong: I like the idea of this photo and the angle you shot it, like you say it's not terribly original but it works. the problem to me is that there's nothing about the shot that "pops", it's a little too muddy/dark. I don't know, I think it would have needed more contrast.

Isamu Dyson: a nice photo, nothing terribly wrong about it (except that horrible image compression) but it doesn't really grab my attention a whole lot. I think both the alarm clock and R2D2 angle are good connections to the theme, but it does require that you know that it's an alarm clock and knowing who/what R2D2 is. A photo is best imo when it doesn't need much explaining.

always_honest: I really like this photo, almost got my 2nd vote. I just think Salsa and Lucky both went that extra mile in the idea and execution of their photos which earned them my votes.

Isamu Dyson said:
@pringles, hi pringles, remember being really liking the photo you produced for the life thread, however i didn't give you feedback so i apologise, it was a great photo, however back to this one, you did it again, produced a really nice photo that i like quite a bit, i liked the composition, its nicely lit and yeah the choice to have it black and white, really helps it i think, i think the colours of the different cd spines would have been distracting, the contrast in them is pretty fantastic, not sure whether you purposefully chose specific cds or just grabbed a pile, maybe you could divulge if thats cool, also really enjoy how the contrast has caused 'sound' to really jump out on the yamaha, the cd collection is cool, you seem to have good taste, ur avatar i think certainly says it all,
thanks, yeah I made the decision pretty fast to go b/w as otherwise it was just far too messy. as for the cds I didn't put a ton of thought into which would go where etc. but I tried to grab some of my favorite albums, obviously I had to get Either/Or in there ;)
I wish I could say the 'sound' on the receiver lit up because of some lucky accident or cool camera trick, but it was a bit of post-processing that did it. Glad you liked it though and I hope you continue to take part in these assignments! Giving and receiving feedback is what it's all about, and you certainly do just that :)

pringles said:
always_honest: I really like this photo, almost got my 2nd vote. I just think Salsa and Lucky both went that extra mile in the idea and execution of their photos which earned them my votes.
Do you have ANY idea how much effort it takes to order in a couple of jet fighters?
;P thanx

pringles said:
Isamu Dyson: a nice photo, nothing terribly wrong about it (except that horrible image compression) but it doesn't really grab my attention a whole lot. I think both the alarm clock and R2D2 angle are good connections to the theme, but it does require that you know that it's an alarm clock and knowing who/what R2D2 is. A photo is best imo when it doesn't need much explaining.

thanks, yeah I made the decision pretty fast to go b/w as otherwise it was just far too messy. as for the cds I didn't put a ton of thought into which would go where etc. but I tried to grab some of my favorite albums, obviously I had to get Either/Or in there ;)
I wish I could say the 'sound' on the receiver lit up because of some lucky accident or cool camera trick, but it was a bit of post-processing that did it. Glad you liked it though and I hope you continue to take part in these assignments! Giving and receiving feedback is what it's all about, and you certainly do just that :)

really appreciate the feedback, and yeah your certainly right that image compression is horrible, any suggestion for who to use to upload, or what to do differently next time i upload, as yeah it was solely during the uploading process it happened.

am happy that you thought the idea behind it was good as well, cos i did wanna go for something a bit silly or fun, hence the r2d2 thing.

with regards to ur later comment, i think its pretty cool u didn't but massive thought into, but i certainly think having ur favourites albums in does help to add more of ur personality to the photo, which i think is always greater when the photographer's personality is present, i had my suspicions about the 'sound' thing, but to be honest it don't matter is still very cool.

i am gonna try and continue with the assignments, as yeah just started getting more interesting in taking photos instead of just looking and i think the assignments are a really great idea, and feedback is always cool, yeah i think i went a bit overboard with my feedback but just kinda wanted to let people know how much i liked there stuff, i'm always quite bad at waffling on, which i'm starting to notice i'm currently doing, lol.

so yeah, thanks again, look forward to future assignments :D

Salsa

Wow thanks for the feedback guys :) love how Isamu Dyson took his time with each one, i appreaciate the in-depth thoughts, really. The girl in the photo is an old friend of mine who is actually a much better photographer than me, lol.

This is a tough one since i like all the entries really, but im gonna go with:

1- pringles - Cant put my finger into what is it that i really like about it, but i do like pictures of records and i think the cropping works very well.
2 - always-honest - Love the expression and the shirt is perfect.

First - SalsaShark - A great take on visualizing sound, nicely executed, and your friend's expression is perfect. I love overall look of the lighting and the plain background works well. Two minor nitpicks: I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit more room between her hand and the edge of the frame on the right, and I wonder if you could have gotten a shot without having that cord or handle hanging down by her fingers. But still...a lovely photograph!

Runner-Up - Always-honest - It's a funny take and I don't think it even needs your explanation about the jets, the monkeys make it work for me! I do think that the mid-day light isn't that great, though, it gives it more of a snapshot feel, but I know you have to take what you can get in a spontaneous photo.

Other comments:

Max Armstrong - I like your composition, but I'll agree with pringles that it looks muddy and lacking contrast. Also, you used shallow focus, but you didn't seem to lock your area of focus onto any specific point. I think I would have focused a little better on that middle pickup so the row of screw heads is sharp all across, and you would still have gotten some sharp focus on the string, albeit at a slightly different point.

pringles - To be honest, your idea seems kind of ordinary, but it is really nicely executed with interesting lighting, composition, and focus.

Isamu Dyson - I like the lighting and the way the color pops, the off-center composition works well and I appreciate that you carefully included all of R2's head with the frame. I'll agree that it is lacking is sharpness, is it possible you have a little motion-blur in there from jerking the camera slightly when you pushed the shutter button? Your background seems jumbled and distracting, I think I would have gone for an angle/setup with a clearer background.

Lucky Forward said:
Isamu Dyson - I like the lighting and the way the color pops, the off-center composition works well and I appreciate that you carefully included all of R2's head with the frame. I'll agree that it is lacking is sharpness, is it possible you have a little motion-blur in there from jerking the camera slightly when you pushed the shutter button? Your background seems jumbled and distracting, I think I would have gone for an angle/setup with a clearer background.

hi lucky forward, thanks for the feedback, glad u like the picture, and especially the colour, is odd i really enjoy vibrancy when taking photos myself, dunno why but kinda like everything looking as graphic and or plasticy something can be, even if it is a natural subject matter. the sharpness is definitely an issue, the uploading didn't help, but i'm not great at keeping sharpness as it is, have very shaky hands, probably not best for taking photos, i could use a tripod, but if i'm honest don't really like them, often think they hinder me, if that makes sense? just harder to do what i want with

thanks again "D

SalsaShark said:
Wow thanks for the feedback guys :) love how Isamu Dyson took his time with each one, i appreaciate the in-depth thoughts, really. The girl in the photo is an old friend of mine who is actually a much better photographer than me, lol.

thanks for giving me a shout out with regards to my feedback, i thought it might seem a bit overboard, but really wanted to get across everything i thought about peoples work, don't be so hard on yourself, even if she is better than you, am sure its not obscenely better, did think ur photo was pretty incredible, but yeah is probably better being modest/over critical, i'm the same, especially with drawing, people say its good, but i constantly just throw stuff away lol.

thanks again :D

Salsa

Isamu Dyson said:
don't be so hard on yourself, even if she is better than you, am sure its not obscenely better, did think ur photo was pretty incredible, but yeah is probably better being modest/over critical, i'm the same, especially with drawing, people say its good, but i constantly just throw stuff away lol.

thanks again :D

Haha nah dude, i was just mentioning the fact that she also takes some really nice photos, not being hard on myself :D

And thanks Lucky Forward, nitpicks taken, they'll be remembered ;D

Isamu Dyson said:
@Max Armstrong, hi was really happy to see another newcomer to the thread kinda made me less nervous about showing off my work to a group who have quite a history of showing each other photos, this isn't to say i was presuming the people in this thread would be unwelcoming, just yeah being a newcomer its a big thing i think showing your work off, but yeah back to your photo and less about the thread. i do like that the only thing that can be seen in your photo is the white on your guitar and the strings, i also really like that the focus of the photo is the middle pick up, think the way that the strings lack focus upon them really gives off a sense of sound pulsating, kinda like what lucky forward went for. were the strings still when you took this photo? or is it just how you took the photo, would like to know more bout the process that went into if thats cool. but yeah it didn't get a vote because to be honest it wasn't the best photo in the thread, i liked the photo but others were just better, and i think you were right in saying it wasn't that original, but to be honest originality doesn't matter if the photo is off a very high quality. yeah don't wanna offend because yeah there wasn't anything really wrong with your photo, just yeah it didn't jump out as being better than others, was good to a newcomer and really hope you keep it up and look forward to seeing more of your work :D
Wow, thanks for the feedback, it's really cool to have a detailed comment like that, I'm still at the very beginning of learning photography (it's been about 3 weeks that I bought my DSLR, I was in my very first week when I took the photo), so criticism, good or bad, is always welcomed.

And the strings were all still except for the first one, you can see it's a little more "wavy".

So, my choice:

1. Always-honest
2. Lucky Forward

Isamu Dyson said:
hi lucky forward, thanks for the feedback, glad u like the picture, and especially the colour, is odd i really enjoy vibrancy when taking photos myself, dunno why but kinda like everything looking as graphic and or plasticy something can be, even if it is a natural subject matter. the sharpness is definitely an issue, the uploading didn't help, but i'm not great at keeping sharpness as it is, have very shaky hands, probably not best for taking photos, i could use a tripod, but if i'm honest don't really like them, often think they hinder me, if that makes sense? just harder to do what i want with

thanks again "D

What I like about using a tripod for indoor still-life shots is that along with allowing you to frame your composition very carefully, it lets you do other things during the exposure, especially if you use the timer function. In my shot I light-painted with flashlights and zoomed, I've done others where I've blown smoke into the scene for effect, etc. Also, I've got a cheap set of tungsten lamps on stands that I use for indoor setups, and with the camera on a tripod, I'll take dozens of shots where I vary the lighting by grabbing a lamp and holding it in lots different positions around the subject--left, right, up, down, behind, in front. The lighting in each shot will be unique and and convey a little bit of a different mood, giving me lots to choose from in editing. For me, having the camera locked down can actually open up creative possibilities.

SalsaShark said:
Haha nah dude, i was just mentioning the fact that she also takes some really nice photos, not being hard on myself :D

oh right cool, sorry for getting wrong end of the stick

Lucky Forward said:
What I like about using a tripod for indoor still-life shots is that along with allowing you to frame your composition very carefully, it lets you do other things during the exposure, especially if you use the timer function. In my shot I light-painted with flashlights and zoomed, I've done others where I've blown smoke into the scene for effect, etc. Also, I've got a cheap set of tungsten lamps on stands that I use for indoor setups, and with the camera on a tripod, I'll take dozens of shots where I vary the lighting by grabbing a lamp and holding it in lots different positions around the subject--left, right, up, down, behind, in front. The lighting in each shot will be unique and and convey a little bit of a different mood, giving me lots to choose from in editing. For me, having the camera locked down can actually open up creative possibilities.

tripod actually sounds great from that point of view, as i'm quite into lighting even if i don't neccesarily do it in my photography, but do use it quite a bit at university as do a film production course. might actually give that a try some time, could prob borrow a tripod off a friend or from university. does sound quite a cool way to work with that kind of stuff. is odd actually how different i approach film and photography, when in fact i should probably use more of my lesson used from film in my photograph, also with regards to the smoke thing, who says smoking doesn't help sometimes he he

the way i feel it hinders me, is because when i'm taking photos i tend to move round my subject quite alot getting lots of different compositions, so some times get annoyed with moving a tripod round, is so much easier to just move myself and the camera.

but i will definately try to work with a tripod in future more, prob should concentrate on a specific composition once i've found one i like, instead of moving onto the next, probably took about 70 pictures of that R2D2 thing, ahaha, is good to get advice from someone who is alot future down the photography learning curve than myself :D

Max Armstrong said:
Wow, thanks for the feedback, it's really cool to have a detailed comment like that, I'm still at the very beginning of learning photography (it's been about 3 weeks that I bought my DSLR, I was in my very first week when I took the photo), so criticism, good or bad, is always welcomed.

And the strings were all still except for the first one, you can see it's a little more "wavy".

glad you were pleased with my feedback, thought it might help,f, i've only just been doing it for around a month myself, but do not yet own a DSLR, currently saving up to purchase one, while borrowing my girlfriends when i need/want it, was a nice effect with the wavy strings. really hope to see more of your stuff in the future, maybe one day we will be producing work of the level of others in this thread :)

Here are the final points.

Salsashark: 13 points
Lucky Forward: 8 points
Always-honest: 8 points
Pringles: 6 points.

Congratulations Salsashark!!!!!!!
Thanx everyone for contributing.

Congrats, SalsaShark, and well-deserved!

The Top Three:

SalsaShark:

190117_1636263234195_1465141727_1334952_1526936_n.jpg

Always-honest:

n5pkz6.jpg

Lucky Forward:
RSZ6_1453ps2.jpg

(Excuse me for re-posting my own shot, but I really like the tradition of showcasing the top three.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom