• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Wii-Cafe, is it time for Mario and classic Nintendo franchise to evolve?

beast786

I am a 38 year old gamer, who started gaming since pong and bought every single console and upgraded my PC until this Generation (No 360).

For the first time I will not buy a Nintendo Console on Day 1. It seems my taste has evolve. Games that I used to enjoy are not that entertaining anymore. Super Mario 3 was my favorite game of all time, not anymore.

I like my games now with narratives and some type of emotion attachment and just mature atmosphere, with at least an attempt at the story.

We have seen Sony and MS evolve there content when they entered into HD.

Sucker Punch evolve:

600full-sly-cooper-and-the-thievius-raccoonus-photo.jpg

To

infamous_karma1255467623.jpg

Naughty Dog Evolve:

919901_20041115_screen016.jpg

To

Uncharted-3-Screen.jpg

Insomniac Games Added:

500x_resistance_3_battlela.jpg

Without loosing its Identity, is it possible for Nintendo franchise to evolve. Or at least start new IP with power of Wii2 to cater to people like me.

I saw someone sketch possible of evolution:
Mortinkoopa.jpg

MatureMarioPt1.jpg

Sniff.jpg

I know mario has legs and games have been amazing. But I have evolve and if Nintendo does not, than I wont be there.

Question?

Is it time for mature mario?
real_mario_01.jpg

ultron87

No, I don't want Epic Mario.

With some other Nintendo franchise? Sure. I bet they could do some cool stuff with a visual style for a Metroid game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
No.

beast786 said:
I like my games now with narratives and some type of emotion attachment and just mature atmosphere, with at least an attempt at the story.
I would suggest quitting gaming and just getting into books and movies.

If you are interested in these things you are in the wrong medium to receive them.

vocab

Why bother when Nintendo can make Mario Galaxy 3 with recycled content and still break a million units?

Jak's later games are great, but the "evolution" was detrimental. No, Mario is perfectly fine as is, and the SMG games are the apex of the entire medium. There's nothing to evolve.

I always get a kick out of "Mature Mario" mockups though.

uBrTJ.jpg

Azure J

*Comes in expecting talk about what level design and aestetics could be pushed with a bigger badder system*

*Sees OP*

...lol.

At this point, the only evolution these series will ever see is entirely at the gameplay and player interface levels. Mario & co are too iconic for massive change, especially for the ugly "mature" as it was so eloquently put. :p

Edit; Seriously speaking, this thread is like all the times when people would cite that they want a mature Zelda game and when asked, they reference LoTR's fight and battle scenes without realizing that Zelda games aren't "demon slayer"-a-thons. This thread is even more interesting because its asking for a decicively more jarring shift in tone and a separation from what make Mario games so iconic and approachable in the first place.

Mario is what it is, and that is why it's great. Its gameplay evolves, and the different ways they tell the Mario story has changed over all the different games and subseries and spinoffs.

But Mario must never change.

If you want to play something more "mature", go play the latest spacemarinepalooza.

beast786 said:
I am a 38 year old gamer, who started gaming since pong and bought every single console and upgraded my PC until this Generation (No 360).

I saw someone sketch possible of evolution:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Timberwolf393/Mortinkoopa.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Timberwolf393/MatureMarioPt1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Timberwolf393/Sniff.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Those are your sketches, aren't they? ¬_¬

MYE

vocab said:
Why bother when Nintendo can make Mario Galaxy 3 with recycled content and still break a million units?

Is this your attempt at bashing the Galaxy games?

lol

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Well I for one would like the next Mario game to be a gritty third-person cover-based shooter created on the Unreal engine.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Joke thread?

No, their bread and butter franchises shouldn't evolve into grimdark mature games. But they should absolutely be creating new franchises to tap the market segment that wants those kind of games.

I wish Sly Cooper would come back. Screw the new stuff.

Change for the sake of change is never smart. Nintendo has zero reason to evolve their brands, which are built on twenty year old icons and design.

Big One

Banned
Mario does evolve...in gameplay. And that's way more that can be said for most developers who just evolve into different concepts rather than new, innovative gameplay

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
What a bad topic.

Nintendo franchises do evolve. They just don't give Mario a goatee. >_>

This is NOT a serious thread. It just can't be.

I hope.

I would also take a new Jak game over an Uncharted game any day of the week

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fuck no. Nintendo has done an amazing job of evolving Mario for each technological step they've made. Galaxy 2 is the benchmark to be met in 3D platforming games.

If they stopped making Mario platformers with that kind of quality, a significant chunk of my interest in the company would be lost.

What Nintendo need to do is developer stronger relationships with companies to fill the gaps in their software library, not overhaul the talent they have.

Michan

I think Nintendo should make their franchises more hardcore, especially when making the transition into HD. Stuff like Call of Duty is what sells these days, so I'd like to see them take a franchise like Zelda and make it grittier and more rough around the edges, just like CoD.

I think they could make a great platformer based around a more "realistic" Mario. He could be a plumber in a city meeting its demise... destroyed, burning buildings and landmarks in ruins thanks to Bowser, who would look great as some mutated, Retro Studios-designed lizard.

Not sure about Kirby, Animal Crossing, and their other franchises. The "Wii ___" games could be quite easily adapted into more realistic-looking games (like Top Spin, for instance).

real answer: no

if you mean get new ips much like what happened with your other examples then i'm guessing that will happen, hopefully you guys don't ignore the new ips this time. If you seriously mean "mature mario", which god i don't know what makes those other games "mature" compared to mario sans shooting and manly men protagonists , then noooooo.

edit: as much as i loved infamous and uncharted and somewhat like resistance, to call them "evolutions" over sly,jak and ratchet makes me rage.

Ulairi

Banned
I think if you're 38 years old and point to those games as being mature, you need to pick up and read a book.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't know how you could be 38, and think that's mature.

Salsa

fuck no

NO

never

NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS

just keep adding layers to the classic platforming with new powerup/environments/gameplay twist/etc and im good for life.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Evolved?

Okay, so if you're 38 everything needs to be photoreal and serious, wow.

Your opinion makes me angry, thats the politest thing I can say.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Princess Skittles said:
The evolved games shown cover mature themes and have heavy emotional attachment to them.
Just like Gears of War!

Man, games live and die with good gameplay mechanics. I think I'd love the Gears of War games even more if they just got rid of the assanine story so I could ventilate more Locust quicker.

Top Bottom