• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Gameplay Walkthrough (Classic And Modern) [Non-Playable Cream]

Rlan

Yeah, they probably wouldn't retcon everything because they've still got the second book, Sonic Universe, still running and probably doing a lot of good for Archie, and that's based off of secondary characters. Hell the next 4 issue series on that is ENTIRELY based on secondary, non-sega characters:

su30600.jpg

SykoTech

PhantomOfTheKnight said:
GameTrailers, why does your player hate me so much? :(

Same here. It stopped like 6 times on me.

It looks like Modern Sonic can do tricks nearly anytime he's launched in the air. Looks like the trick sytem from the Rush games. Neat.
Also, no S rank this time. A is the highest again.

EDIT: Wait, Classic Sonic seemed to have an S rank. Maybe they haven't finished that up yet.

Kulock said:
2:15, watch how Sonic snaps down from his jump to work with the loop. :/

I noticed that but everything else is looking really good. Hopefully they'll get that cleaned up by the time the game is released.

In our demo version, we were only allowed to play a re-imagined Green Hill Zone, complete with remixed theme and pudgy Sonic from the early 90s. Gameplay is well...classic. Rings, enemies, speed boosts, tunnels, corkscrews, platforming... it felt like a 2D Sonic game. The stage we played felt a little longer than one we'd find in the recent Sonic 4: Episode 1. Also, the physics and platforming felt a little tighter than Sonic 4 as well. Players may remember the uncanny ability to stroll up a curved ledge defying all matters of gravity. None of that here!

Classic Sonic rewards speed and quick reflexes. There are different pathways for you to take like in the originals. However, it doesn't hurt to slow down and explore a bit of the other sections for secrets or extra rings. Just keep in mind that missing the corkscrew sections just plummet you to another way to beat the stage. In our case, we traversed more cave sections and collected far less rings than we would have if we stayed topside. At the end of each stage, you're awarded a score based on how well you did and how fast you make it through the section.

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/s...a-20110518162731436040/g-20110407104725980040

That modern Sonic gameplay looks pretty solid, I enjoyed colours a lot so more of that is fine by me.
I consider myself fortunate to be looking forward to both sides of the gameplay.
About the music, it's probably been discussed in this topic elsewhere but can Sega use old Sonic 2 and 3 music at all or is it a payment thing? I mean if Chemical Plant zone makes the game without the classic theme its going to feel weird.

It hasn't even loaded for me!

Rlan said:
Yeah, they probably wouldn't retcon everything because they've still got the second book, Sonic Universe, still running and probably doing a lot of good for Archie, and that's based off of secondary characters. Hell the next 4 issue series on that is ENTIRELY based on secondary, non-sega characters:

su30600.jpg

This is actually the first time throughout the comic's entire run an arc is devoted entirely to Archie-original characters.

So is that where Falco fucked off too whule star fox was playing fetch with dinosaurs?

Dark Schala said:
LOL, I was pretty happy when Amy never spoke.

4VqD4.png
Still my most favourate sonic art to this day, classic amy looks better then modern styled amy and the art itself is fantastic, I really do like sonic cd's artwork.

SykoTech

0 HP said:
haha they totally read gaf. it sounded like he was reading off bulletpoints from these threads

"Momentum based platforming."
"Speed as a reward."

Yep, definitely brings me back to my pre-Sonic 4 lurking days here.

that green hill footage was good, looks like sonic stays in a ball now when in the air. He never seemed to use the instant rev button and crouched too which I am glad to see, doesn't mean that hot button is gone though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kulock said:
Actually, you are. Ian Flynn's one of us, basically, and he's gone a long way towards cleaning up the book. Moving things back toward the game standards, cleaning up dangling plot points, bringing the fun back into it (instead of Penders and co writing never-ending drama that never gets resolved). I'd say for a Sonic book, with a long-established continuity, it's been pretty damn good the past few years.
I can agree with this. I picked up a few issues the other day, and the writing (and the art) is improved from the last time I picked up a Sonic comic a few years ago. If I have enough cash towards the end of the month, I might start investing in the comics again. It isn't bad at all!

SolidSnakex said:
PhantomOfTheKnight said:
GameTrailers, why does your player hate me so much? :(
I KNOW. :(

So Ruby was right--the uncurling was fixed. No Homing Attack in Classic Sonic mode, apparently. The music sounds great too. The Modern Sonic levels look pretty tight as well.

Now I have to see a few more levels of gameplay before I say, "Yes, I'm hyped for this." It looks so good, though. It's just that something still doesn't sit right with me--I probably need to experience it first-hand to see whether I like it or not. TAKE THE HINT SEGA! <3 you.

Edit: I also am quite pleased that this is the stage clear jingle. But I wonder if we're going to get a variation of the Sonic 1/2 Stage Clear jingle.

0 HP said:
haha they totally read gaf. it sounded like he was reading off bulletpoints from these threads
So I wasn't the only one thinking that! Ahahahaha!

Articalys

Yeah, that gives a much better impression from the first gameplay clips, and it still just looks so good, the art style and scenery is amazing. Hype level back up a bit.

And I guess I've learned to research a bit before trying to claim anything about a comic I haven't read in almost eight years.

NTom64

Ha, Ruby was telling the truth after all! Good on him.

Seems to have improved a lot since the last batch of gameplay. Little visual touches here and there (classic titlecard, animations etc.), and Modern Green Hill looks much better. More enemies, more paths to take and less barren highways to boost through etc.

The music seems less choppy, too. I think they went back to using Unleashed's method of dimming the sound during the boost, rather than having the tempo match the speed.

All in all, looks great!

Rlan

Dark Schala said:
LOL, I was pretty happy when Amy never spoke.

4VqD4.png

I love the fact that the Fleetway Sonic The Comic used this art as how her hair worked throughout her life:

180px-STC33-Amy.jpg
180px-STC103-AmyRose.jpg
180px-STC41-Amy.jpg

This, plus even the existance of AoStH Robotnik and the whole SatAM cast, shows just how crazy the mid nineties was. The fact that these guys clearly didn't have a visual sheet to work off of or someone saying "yeah, there's a way to draw this stuff" is kind of mind boggling now.

Blueblur1

SolidSnakex said:
Walkthrough videos for Green Hill Zone

Classic Sonic
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/classic-style-sonic-generations/714051

Modern Sonic
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/modern-style-sonic-generations/714053

The Classic Sonic gameplay shows Sonic stay in his ball form whenever he goes off of a ramp instead of popping out of it like the older videos.
I'm happy that my biggest concerns with this game are the Sonic CD jumping sound effect and the music tempo increase when Modern Sonic boosts. Everything else looks good. I can't wait to see the Dreamcast stages. :)

The game looks awesome from those two walk throughs. Although I prefer the Sonic Adventure physics over Sonic Unleashed + Sonic Colors, the Modern Stage looks good too. I did enjoy Sonic Colors so if it's more like that, then I'm 100% sold.

And SPINDASHING CONFIRMED BY CLASSIC SONIC OH SHIT I'M IN THE GAME.

ZoddGutts

spindashing said:
The game looks awesome from those two walk throughs. Although I prefer the Sonic Adventure physics over Sonic Unleashed + Sonic Colors, the Modern Stage looks good too. I did enjoy Sonic Colors so if it's more like that, then I'm 100% sold.

And SPINDASHING CONFIRMED BY CLASSIC SONIC OH SHIT I'M IN THE GAME.

No homing attack either. :p

Sciz

Nocturnowl said:
About the music, it's probably been discussed in this topic elsewhere but can Sega use old Sonic 2 and 3 music at all or is it a payment thing? I mean if Chemical Plant zone makes the game without the classic theme its going to feel weird.
Sonic 2 is tied up in the same licensing tangle that Sonic 1 is, but Sega owns everything else produced for the series. I wouldn't worry about not getting the appropriate music for each zone though. They paid for a song that's only tangentially related to the series for its 15th anniversary, and that wasn't even a big retro nostalgia thing. Whatever zones from 1 and 2 make it in, they'll have their tunes.

RagnarokX

Sciz said:
Sonic 2 is tied up in the same licensing tangle that Sonic 1 is, but Sega owns everything else produced for the series. I wouldn't worry about not getting the appropriate music for each zone though. They paid for a song that's only tangentially related to the series for its 15th anniversary, and that wasn't even a big retro nostalgia thing. Whatever zones from 1 and 2 make it in, they'll have their tunes.
Sweet Dream is just the Sonic 2 ending them with lyrics. Sega had to go and ruin it by adding Akon.

Sciz said:
Good to know, music for this game should be great all around.

Sciz

RagnarokX said:
Sweet Dream is just the Sonic 2 ending them with lyrics. Sega had to go and ruin it by adding Akon.
They aren't legally the same song though, which is the important bit.

I refuse to link to the Akon "remix" on ethical grounds, in the sense that it is physically harmful to listeners.

nns3d

What was Akon doing in this song anyway? I've got nothing against the guy, but he seems out of place for a song like this.

Kulock said:
Actually, you are. Ian Flynn's one of us, basically, and he's gone a long way towards cleaning up the book. Moving things back toward the game standards, cleaning up dangling plot points, bringing the fun back into it (instead of Penders and co writing never-ending drama that never gets resolved). I'd say for a Sonic book, with a long-established continuity, it's been pretty damn good the past few years.

Honestly, I've lost alot of interest not just in the Archie series, but just collecting comic books. But it's good to know that the series is in good hands.

Anth0ny

My theory is they got MJ for Sonic 3... so they wanted another pop star for Sonic 06? I guess? :/

Those Gametrailers vids are fantastic. I'm very excited that they fixed the whole "come out of the ball" problem. Now all they need is

SonicCDSprite--article_image.jpg

Why not, Sega? WHY NOT?

I still flippin hate the modern Sonic gameplay (based on my experience with Unleashed), so I hope it ends up better than that. But honestly, I'm buying this for Classic Sonic.

Azure J

Anth0ny said:
My theory is they got MJ for Sonic 3... so they wanted another pop star for Sonic 06? I guess? :/

Those Gametrailers vids are fantastic. I'm very excited that they fixed the whole "come out of the ball" problem. Now all they need is

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2009/04/Best%20Sonic%20Sprite/SonicCDSprite--article_image.jpg[IMG]

Why not, Sega? WHY NOT?

I still flippin hate the modern Sonic gameplay (based on my experience with Unleashed), so I hope it ends up better than that. But honestly, I'm buying this for Classic Sonic.[/QUOTE]

I don't even want to nitpick because from what they have going so far, everything looks so good. My fear is that bring up anything that can sway Sega to change up the game now would only result in them destroying everything it has going for itself now! :lol

DeVeAn

Anth0ny said:

Why not, Sega? WHY NOT?

I still flippin hate the modern Sonic gameplay (based on my experience with Unleashed), so I hope it ends up better than that. But honestly, I'm buying this for Classic Sonic.
Peel out move was cool, having do that a top speed would be sweet!

Anth0ny said:

Why not, Sega? WHY NOT?

go buy Brawl then :p

also, Modern Sonic defense force

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Do I really want to know who that green hedgehog is?

YMMV.

I actually like Scourge, since, unlike Shadow, he really is the ''evil'' version of Sonic.
I also like how Archie censored his swears; I thought it was hilarious.

PhantomOfTheKnight said:
YMMV.

I actually like Scourge, since, unlike Shadow, he really is the ''evil'' version of Sonic.
I also like how Archie censored his swears; I thought it was hilarious.
Wasn't there already an "evil" version from a parallel universe?

RagnarokX

I never liked the mobius strip legs. Based on the latest footage this is shaping up to be the best Sonic game in a long time. I'm still a bit concerned about classic Sonic's jumping. The player seemed to suck but the jumping looked a bit stiff. As soon as I see someone move in a direction and let go of that direction I can jump fully on or off board depending on what happens. I really really really want to like this game.

Articalys

Which Sonic comic was it where Eggman was in some ridiculous Mexican wrestler costume or something? I remember seeing some panels from that story and found it pretty funny.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Wasn't there already an "evil" version from a parallel universe?

Same character. Scourge was originally blue just like Sonic, but when he tried to use the Master Emereald to go Super, he was interrupted, and his fur changed permanently to green.

EDIT: Beaten.

Top Bottom