• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel's (Cave Story) new game "Rockfish" (iOS exclusive)

This is old news, but he constantly updates his main site with updates and there aren't any topics about it.

Main site: http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022293/devel/index.html

pqynG.png

QVaSI.png

EiaRo.png

From the screens it looks like an underwater Cave Story. If somebody could translate, that would be great and I'll edit the OP.

Tiktaalik

The way he's laying out the screen on the iPhone/iPod Touch reminds me a lot of the Game Boy.

I'm skeptical of any game for iOS that uses a button overlay, but Pixel does great work so I'm going to be optimistic and follow this closely.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Looks cool. Usually I'm not a fan of cutting the display in half, but I liked CS so I'll have faith in Pixel's judgment. I sure wish there was a bit more info available.

PounchEnvy said:
Hope it appears on the NA marketplace.

I hadn't thought of this, but it brings back sad thoughts of "The NightJar".

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Horseticuffs said:
I hadn't thought of this, but it brings back sad thoughts of "The NightJar".
That's weird. Why on earth would you restrict the sale of a game to one region?

Horseticuffs

BocoDragon said:
That's weird. Why on earth would you restrict the sale of a game to one region?

Well, from what I gather, the production of the game was somehow bankrolled by the British arm of Wriggley's gum or whatever it's called, otherwise they would not have been able to make it.

If memory serves, they are trying to find a way to finance it's foreign release. Really unfortunate because I liked Papa Sangra, but I'm not terribly enamored with the "Dia de los Muertos" motif. The whole Dying/Haunted Space station idea is very, very appealing to me, though.

Sophia

So many iOS exclusives, and yet I'm still unwilling to invest in an iPod Touch. Eventually they'll hit a satisfactory price to space ratio. :\

The screenshots remind me of Cave Story, but they also remind me of some other minimalist metroivania that I believe was linked here on GAF.

Pirabear

Banned
Is the iPhone successful in Japan? I've noticed that quite a few Japanese developers are dropping games on iOS, but not Android.

Pikelet

Luminate said:
Is the iPhone successful in Japan? I've noticed that quite a few Japanese developers are dropping games on iOS, but not Android.
From memory, yeah i'm pretty sure that they are quite popular there.

SmokyDave

Looks cool, I'll definitely grab that. I like the mock gameboy style of the buttons.

Loving the slow & steady increase in support for iOS.

Edit: I find all the port begging in iOS threads hilarious because as soon as a mobile gaming thread pops up, all people seem to remember is Angry Birds.

Horseticuffs

Well, sheesh, guys. I know I'm new here, but it seems that Pixel must have a pretty decent relationship with Nintendo judging by CS and CS3d. I wouldn't get too upset if I were you.

I also wouldn't be too terribly surprised to see this pop up on other DD systems like the E-shop or Android Market. He could always just have some random dev-house port it, right? I don't know how hands-on he was with the DSi and 3d versions, but there's always a chance.

thefro

Using half the screen for buttons is great... when they just overlay buttons my thumbs end up covering up too much of the screen.

webrunner

The look of the enviroments and main character make me think the game is basically:

"What if you were one of these things:
gXynC.gif
"

First screenshot reminds me of Super Mario Bros 2, the frog up there kinda looks like Wort. The second screen looks exactly like Metroid 1. I'm wondering if the areas of this game will each take on a classic game vibe. That would be rad.

big_z

d-pad games tend to suck on touch devices and half screen with tiny fonts is going to be near impossible to read.... at least for me(stupid laser surgery). hopefully a pc/console version will pop up later.

WillyFive

Come on guys, the iOS now has a killer app. We're gamers, we should be happy there are more good games on more places.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Willy105 said:
Come on guys, the iOS now has a killer app.
iOS has plenty of killer apps already.. ones that are actually tailored for the device.

Shoehorning a game with physical controller controls on a touch only device does not a killer app make.

Princess Skittles said:
iOS has plenty of killer apps already.. ones that are actually tailored for the device.

Shoehorning a game with physical controller controls on a touch only device does not a killer app make.
That's true

Willy105 said:
Come on guys, the iOS now has a killer app. We're gamers, we should be happy there are more good games on more places.

it's just a Cave port machine to me.

and a phone, email, and music device.

SmokyDave

User33 said:
I think people are exaggerating how poorly virtual d-pad and buttons control. Maybe its because I have an iPad (much more room), but its just something you eventually get used to.
Agreed, and that goes for my iPhone as well as my iPad. Now that I've acclimatised, I'm cool with them. I'm looking forward to seeing how well this 'separated buttons' scheme works in practice.

Ultimately, it's just par for the course for an iOS game thread. 40% port begging, 40% moaning about lack of buttons and 20% 'other'. That will change with time.

User33 said:
I think people are exaggerating how poorly virtual d-pad and buttons control. Maybe its because I have an iPad (much more room), but its just something you eventually get used to.

i've tried many times on my phone, i'm not used to it

SmokyDave said:
Ultimately, it's just par for the course for an iOS game thread. 40% port begging, 40% moaning about lack of buttons and 20% 'other'. That will change with time.

"no buttons" complaints will never go away

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
User33 said:
I think people are exaggerating how poorly virtual d-pad and buttons control.
Not an exaggeration. They suck. They will always suck.

At best you have something maybe manageable with a game that is only available on iOS so you just suck it up and deal with it.

Top Bottom