• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer August Cover Revealed: Dishonored (Arkane, Harvey Smith)

V_Ben

Banned
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/07/07/august-cover-revealed-dishonored.aspx
Bethesda’s next game is a first-person stealth/action adventure, and we’ve got the first look at it in our upcoming August issue. There are dozens of reasons why you should care about this weird-looking game you've never heard of. A few of the most important ones are after the jump.

Arkane Studios and founder Raf Colantonio have made memorable games in the past (Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic) that ultimately suffered from a lack of publisher support. Bethesda Softworks believes in their vision and is giving them all the time, money, and development help (regular meetings with guys like The Elder Scrolls' Todd Howard don't make your game worse) they need. Harvey Smith, one of the main minds behind the first two Deus Ex games and a legendary veteran of game development, shares the vision and is on board as Dishonored's co-creative director along with Colantonio. Viktor Antonov designed Half-Life 2's iconic City 17 and is lending his talents to Dishonored's world. This is a perfect storm for creating a game that shatters the mold that first-person action games have built for themselves in the mainstream.

We've seen the game running, and now we share Colantonio and Smith's vision too. Dishonored is the antithesis of a edge-of-your-seat roller-coaster ride. It's a game about assassination where you don't have to kill anyone. It's a game about infiltration where you can set up traps and slaughter the entire garrison of an aristocrat's mansion rather than sneak in. It's a game about brutal violence where you can slip in and out of a fortified barracks with nobody ever knowing you were there. It's a game about morality and player choice where the world you create is based on your actions, not navigating conversation trees.

dishonored-spreadcover.jpg

Herla

Oh shit oh shit oh shit Arkane oh shit I need this.

Though this probably means they didn't help with the combat in Skyrim ... oh well, who cares about Bethesda. Arkane!!!!

Marleyman

Banned
New IP's are always a breath of fresh air these days. Couple that with Bethesda being involved and you get my hype meter rising.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Holy shit, this was just what I needed to hear after years of feeling depressed over The Crossing dying.

Plus Anatov still doing the art? Damn boner is full strength.

I'm just ignore Smith for now.

r@v3n

V_Ben said:
Harvey Smith, one of the main minds behind the first two Deus Ex games and a legendary veteran of game development,

Rest assured, this one is a winner.

mysticwhip said:
fuck why can't it be in third person and talk about a disappointment.
How would third person automatically make the concept more interesting? Aside from allowing you to cheat at stealth and gripe about the character running animations.

Herla

viewtifulsub said:
Also this threads reeks of console peasants who never played Arx Fatalis (aka Ultima Underworld 3) or Dark Messiah Might and Magic.

Disappointed that its not a rpg, but i'll glady eat up another Arkane release.

I bet it's gonna have rpg elements, this totally sounds like a spiritual successor to Deus Ex.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Dues Ex,Bioshock and Half Life vibe from the art work and article.

Interfectum said:
Surprised at the cynical reaction... this sounds great so far.

Not modern military shooter enough for the dudbros I guess.

Top Bottom