• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women's Fashion/Make-Up/Accessories Age

Status
Not open for further replies.
All are welcome. Discuss women's fashion, make-up, accessories. Please post recent purchases too.

Fashion Sites/Shops
ModCloth
YesStyle
Moxsie
Tulle
Etsy
Zappos
Lookbook
Dappered

Second Hand Shops
Buffalo Exchange
Crossroads Trading Co (CA/Portland/Seattle)

Fashion Blogs
Go Fug Yourself
Fashionising
The Budget Fashionista
Viva Fashion

Nails
All Lacquered Up
Swatchaholic

Make-Up Links
Temptalia
Cosmetic Breakdown by Arsenic Yellow
Makeup Alley

FINALY!
My favorite cosmetic stores:
Lush Cosmetics A great store. Everyone is super friendly and you ca get free samples of EVERYTHING there. They sell soaps, shampoos, cosmetics. EVERYTHING is vegan and %100 recyclable. Most of their stuff comes in "naked" form, meaning without packaging. Another great thing? If you buy in stores and aren't satisfied, you can return any of it and they will weigh it and give you store credit back, even if you don't have a receipt.
Best Products:
Bubble bars
Bath Bombs
Shampoo Bars
Body Butters
Soaps
Jellies​

MAC Cosmetics
I LOVE their stuff. Probably one of the best cosmetic places. Their best products are their lipsticks and eye shadows. If you're looking for professional, high end make up, this is a great place to start. Also, their brushes, although expensive, are literally the best you can buy. I don't have any, but plan to buy some in the future. Their lipsticks and glosses are amazing too. Celebrities that have does limited edition collections include: Ru Paul, Laddy Gaga, and Cyndi Lauper. Their products are all cruelty free.
Best Products:
Eyeshadows
Bronzers
Brushes
Lipsticks
Lipglasses
Pretty much EVERYTHING​

Urban Decay
Another cruelty free store. They are another high end cosmetics company. I'd recommend their eye shadow palettes. Although a regular single eye shadow runs about $20, their palettes usually contain 15-18 shadows and run $55. Great colors. Their brushes are all vegan. Another incredibly popular product are UD's 24/7 eyeliners. Amazing all day wear and it lasts hours on the waterline. Probably their most popular item is their potion primers. I absolutely love these, I can wear my eyeshadow all day without any worry of fading or creasing! Its my biggest must have item.
Best Products:
Palettes
Eyeshadows
Lipgloss
Primers
24/7 Eyeliner​

Tarte
I recently discovered this company from Ulta and I'm in love. They are known for their cheek and lip stains. The unique thing about their cheek stains is unlike powder blushes, you build it up so it is really hard to look foolish. Their lip stains are also amazing. They last all day and look incredibly natural. Not only that, but they are very moisturizing.
Best Products:
Cheek Stains
Clay Blushes
Lip Stains​

Stuff I picked up recently:
So this week was a pretty big haul for me. Tarte true blood collection came out this sunday and I HAD to get it. I was only able to afford part of it, however.
Tarte for True Blood Cheek Stain: $30
tarte_trueblood002.jpg

An AMAZING cheek stain for night time. I'm almost positive it's the blush jessica uses on the show. There are small gold flakes on it but aren't overpowering. I see this as a really great night or fall look

Tarte for true blood lip stains: $24
tarte_trueblood003.jpg

Another AMAZING product. It's a warm red shade that is subtle enough to be worn across skin tones. I'm a neutral with warm undertones but I can see this flattering cooler are well.

Urban Decay 15th anniversary palette: $55
urbandecay_15thannypalette001.jpg

I was FINALLY able to snag this during the hour it was up on ULTA. Urban Decay sold out within a matter of hours. This is part of their fall collection. 15 COMPLETELY NEW shades. These are full sized. If you can get your hands on this, BUY IT. It's limited edition and I don't know how long it will be sold Each eye shadow sells for about $20 alone, so at $55, this is a STEAL.

Urban Decay's Naked Palette $52
urbandecay_nakedpalette007.jpg

Part of their permanent line, this is an amazing palette if you're into neutrals. I wear this everyday when I'm out. There isn't a single color I dislike.

I'll make more posts abut stuff I pick up, recommendations for people, great budget drugstore products, facial products, upcoming collections, and more. I'm into fashion, but I'm much more knowledgeable when it comes to makeup, skin, and overall beauty.

Cruelty Free Perfume (with vegan options)

Don't forget Project Runway premieres July 28 at 9 PM/8C.

(Thread is a continual work in progress, pm or post with additional info)

MPa6bOf.gif

Delio

I have been looking up tips for face care lately. I'm a guy of course but i figure this is a good place to ask. Also for women's fashion i LOVE nice frilly skirts. If i were a girl i'd totally have so many of them with nice bold patterns.

I love going to second hand stores because so many "fashionistas" basically dump last season's fashions at those places and I can find something I like for much less than it would be in a department store. I've picked up some awesome jackets this way.

SolKane

Delio said:
I have been looking up tips for face care lately. I'm a guy of course but i figure this is a good place to ask. Also for women's fashion i LOVE nice frilly skirts. If i were a girl i'd totally have so many of them with nice bold patterns.

What do you need for face care?

Delio

Devolution said:
I love going to second hand stores because so many "fashionistas" basically dump last season's fashions at those places and I can find something I like for much less than it would be in a department store. I've picked up some awesome jackets this way.

I would SO love to hit up the outlet stores that are local. I want to lose some weight before i do but i really want some new nice quality shirts and shorts.

Solkane i need like blackhead removal stuff and overall getting my face cleaned up. I got lovely suggestions from a friend i would totally take more.

CFMOORE!

Devolution said:

if you live anywhere near a trendy rich area like I do, your scores will be even better. i've seen amazing brands at thrift stores around here in LA.

CFMOORE! said:
if you live anywhere near a trendy rich area like I do, your scores will be even better. i've seen amazing brands at thrift stores around here in LA.

I live near Berkeley and SF, it's awesome. I hit up vintage places too. I've gotten really lucky or left with nothing. But one of my prize finds was a pure wool german trench coat for $35 bucks. I looked up the brand and their stuff usually goes for $350 and up.

SolKane said:
Can I be the first to condemn jeggings?

The first but not the last. I think wearing leggings in general as pants is a faux pas, and I've gotten into arguments with other women about it.

Does anyone have suggestions for non-comodegenic foundations? I think that is the correct term. I'm looking for something for my wife who is still struggling with some acne. We have some acne products she's using now but I'm convinced there is something else she's using that is causing it.

FINALY!
My favorite cosmetic stores:
Lush Cosmetics A great store. Everyone is super friendly and you ca get free samples of EVERYTHING there. They sell soaps, shampoos, cosmetics. EVERYTHING is vegan and %100 recyclable. Most of their stuff comes in "naked" form, meaning without packaging. Another great thing? If you buy in stores and aren't satisfied, you can return any of it and they will weigh it and give you store credit back, even if you don't have a receipt.
Best Products:
Bubble bars
Bath Bombs
Shampoo Bars
Body Butters
Soaps
Jellies​

MAC Cosmetics
I LOVE their stuff. Probably one of the best cosmetic places. Their best products are their lipsticks and eye shadows. If you're looking for professional, high end make up, this is a great place to start. Also, their brushes, although expensive, are literally the best you can buy. I don't have any, but plan to buy some in the future. Their lipsticks and glosses are amazing too. Celebrities that have does limited edition collections include: Ru Paul, Laddy Gaga, and Cyndi Lauper. Their products are all cruelty free.
Best Products:
Eyeshadows
Bronzers
Brushes
Lipsticks
Lipglasses
Pretty much EVERYTHING​

Urban Decay
Another cruelty free store. They are another high end cosmetics company. I'd recommend their eye shadow palettes. Although a regular single eye shadow runs about $20, their palettes usually contain 15-18 shadows and run $55. Great colors. Their brushes are all vegan. Another incredibly popular product are UD's 24/7 eyeliners. Amazing all day wear and it lasts hours on the waterline. Probably their most popular item is their potion primers. I absolutely love these, I can wear my eyeshadow all day without any worry of fading or creasing! Its my biggest must have item.
Best Products:
Palettes
Eyeshadows
Lipgloss
Primers
24/7 Eyeliner​

Tarte
I recently discovered this company from Ulta and I'm in love. They are known for their cheek and lip stains. The unique thing about their cheek stains is unlike powder blushes, you build it up so it is really hard to look foolish. Their lip stains are also amazing. They last all day and look incredibly natural. Not only that, but they are very moisturizing.
Best Products:
Cheek Stains
Clay Blushes
Lip Stains​

Stuff I picked up recently:
So this week was a pretty big haul for me. Tarte true blood collection came out this sunday and I HAD to get it. I was only able to afford part of it, however.
Tarte for True Blood Cheek Stain: $30
tarte_trueblood002.jpg

An AMAZING cheek stain for night time. I'm almost positive it's the blush jessica uses on the show. There are small gold flakes on it but aren't overpowering. I see this as a really great night or fall look

Tarte for true blood lip stains: $24
tarte_trueblood003.jpg

Another AMAZING product. It's a warm red shade that is subtle enough to be worn across skin tones. I'm a neutral with warm undertones but I can see this flattering cooler are well.

Urban Decay 15th anniversary palette: $55
urbandecay_15thannypalette001.jpg

I was FINALLY able to snag this during the hour it was up on ULTA. Urban Decay sold out within a matter of hours. This is part of their fall collection. 15 COMPLETELY NEW shades. These are full sized. If you can get your hands on this, BUY IT. It's limited edition and I don't know how long it will be sold Each eye shadow sells for about $20 alone, so at $55, this is a STEAL.

urbandecay_nakedpalette007.jpg

Part of their permanent line, this is an amazing palette if you're into neutrals. I wear this everyday when I'm out. There isn't a single color I dislike.

I'll make more posts abut stuff I pick up, recommendations for people, great budget drugstore products, facial products, upcoming collections, and more. I'm into fashion, but I'm much more knowledgeable when it comes to makeup, skin, and overall beauty.

SolKane

Delio said:
In reguards to the skirt thing i LOVE these.

ht1_011.jpg

Maybe it's the burlesque burgundy/black contrast but this just looks trashy IMO. I prefer skirts that are more modest but still complementary, a la waist-high skirts, or something more traditional like a tea length.

Zoe

Chef Cat said:
Anyone know where I can find vests? I really love 'em, but I can only find them for toddlers and men...

Dunno what kind you're looking for, I finally found some button-up ones at New York & Co.

Delio

SolKane said:
Maybe it's the burlesque burgundy/black contrast but this just looks trashy IMO. I prefer skirts that are more modest but still complimentary, a la waist-high skirts, or something more traditional like a tea length.

I guess i'd be a trashy looking chick LOL i dunno i like skirts that look a little out there.

Sennorin

Banned
Devolution said:
I think wearing leggings in general as pants is a faux pas, and I've gotten into arguments with other women about it.

Wat 0_o
I´m sorry, but i cannot understand. Could you elaborate on what´s so bad about leggings? Women and leggings, it´s almost a fetish of mine I´d say.

I love Forever 21 and Express, they appear to have very nice fabric when it comes to women clothing.

Anyway, makeup question! Can a man who has a lot of, for lack of a better word, girly features pull off makeup effectively?

Egnirys

Arsenic Yellow said:
FINALY!

I love the Naked Palette! I wear the shades from it pretty much daily.

I live in SF Bay Area also so I like to hit up Buffalo Exchange or Crossroads on Valencia or in Haight-Ashbury. I've found like new jeans for real cheap in the past.

Moxsie:
This place use to be neat, it's sort of like modcloth but since they were bought out while in the process of a blow out going out of business sale, pieces are still being picked up.

Tulle:
Nice modern clothing with a vintage twist. Normally they're a tad expensive but they have great sales.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Does anyone have suggestions for non-comodegenic foundations? I think that is the correct term. I'm looking for something for my wife who is still struggling with some acne. We have some acne products she's using now but I'm convinced there is something else she's using that is causing it.
I have incredibly sensitive skin so I use Covergirl sensitive skin foundation. If she doesn't already have one, she needs to get a foundation brush and clean it regularly (at least twice a week)this keeps your hands away from your face when applyign the foundation
CF1ZCPmHg_5QS54rST1z0evPJKLGoA9zUYr7ac-C_6i_RHPHRVFK8KM1y72LtMteW7MVdDoRl70Q5iTDi1uw-aROux5U1hTj0WBv8TX_yzNg8CgsXetOCVVDTJaJZtjKjXFYOHjIJ-rOZb24NpVhSn57

What is her face regime? What soap facial products does she use? Does she use a toner and moisturizer? I think thats really the first step to fix things. How long has she been using the same facial regime? The skin you had 10 years ago isn't the same you have now, so you have to treat it differently. Acne product dont always help. I have sensitive, combination skin. My regime:
1:splash my face with warm water to open up my pores.
2. Use an exfoliator. I currently use clean and clears blackhead remover.
3. Rinse with warm water.
4. Wash with a soap. I Currently use clean and clear's deep action cleanser.
5. Rinse with COLD water. This closes your pores to prevent anything from getting in.
6. Dry face in a patting motion. Don't rub.
7. Apply toner. I use Lush's tea tree water.
8. While your face is still wet, apply moisturizer. Make sure you apply within a minute after washing your face. The water of the toner helps absorb the moisturizer and helps it from over saturating your face. I use Lush's cosmetic lad. It's a men's moisturizer for sensitive skin, particularly after you shave. It's light and fruity scented.

Sennorin said:
Wat 0_o
I´m sorry, but i cannot understand. Could you elaborate on what´s so bad about leggings? Women and leggings, it´s almost a fetish of mine I´d say.

Leggings are better as undergarments for skirts or a long shirt. Wearing them as pants though is tacky.

Egnirys said:
I love the Naked Palette! I wear the shades from it pretty much daily.

I live in SF Bay Area also so I like to hit up Buffalo Exchange or Crossroads on Valencia or in Haight-Ashbury. I've found like new jeans for real cheap in the past.

Moxsie:
This place use to be neat, it's sort of like modcloth but since they were bought out while in the process of a blow out going out of business sale, pieces are still being picked up.

Tulle:
Nice modern clothing with a vintage twist. Normally they're a tad expensive but they have great sales.
I love naked. I had a whole list of mac neutrals to pick up, but this replaces all of them. I LOVE it. What combos do you wear?
I wear virgin at the inner corner of my eyes to make them pop, especially if I havent slept
I usually use:
Naked (lid) +smog (crease)
half baked (lid)+Hustle (crease)
sin(lid) +Smog (crease)
Side care (lid)+ Darkhorse (crease)

I havent tried out creep or gumetal yet.

Egnirys

Arsenic Yellow said:
I love naked. I had a whole list of mac neutrals to pick up, but this replaces all of them. I LOVE it. What combos do you wear?
I wear virgin at the inner corner of my eyes to make them pop, especially if I havent slept
I usually use:
Naked (lid) +smog (crease)
half baked (lid)+Hustle (crease)
sin(lid) +Smog (crease)
Side care (lid)+ Darkhorse (crease)

I havent tried out creep or gumetal yet.
I use Sin on my lid and Virgin as a highlight by my tear duct and under my brow. Smog, Sidecar, and Buck for a more daytime friendly smokey eye look. I've used Gunmetal and Creep when I go out at night with friends.
I've been really happy with the set since I bought it, I hardly use my other shadows. Naked and the Alice Book of Shadows are the two sets I most commonly use.

Egnirys said:
I use Sin on my lid and Virgin as a highlight by my tear duct and under my brow. Smog, Sidecar, and Buck for a more daytime friendly smokey eye look. I've used Gunmetal and Creep when I go out at night with friends.
I've been really happy with the set since I bought it, I hardly use my other shadows. Naked and the Alice Book of Shadows are the two sets I most commonly use.
Naked is my classy day look. I usually stick to MAC for night /party time. I've been using the hell out of summer shades lately. I LOVE sun blonde paired with saffron and passionate.

Egnirys

Arsenic Yellow said:
Naked is my classy day look. I usually stick to MAC for night /party time. I've been using the hell out of summer shades lately. I LOVE sun blonde paired with saffron and passionate.
I haven't used MAC in a while except for their Disney Villains series but I'm totally psyched for the fall line coming out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom