• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The English Fan Translation Thread

B.K.

After seeing the Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix thread, I thought it might be a nice idea to have a thread where everyone can post fan translations for games. Here are the ones I know of:

DS
Fire Emblem 12
Nanashi no Game
Puyo Puyo 7
Puyo Pyuo 15th Anniversary
SaGa 2
Soma Bringer (98% complete. Only a few minor things are untranslated.)
Tales of Innocence

GBA
Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart
Grandia Parallel Trippers
Mother 3
Super Robot Wars J

PS1
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (I know Atlus is releasing the PSP version in America, but some people might prefer the original version of the game.)
Policenauts
SuikoGaiden Vol. 1
Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden
Tales of Phantasia
Tear Ring Saga

PS2
Dragon Quest V
Final Fantasy XII International - Zodiac Job System
Front Mission 5: Scars of the War
Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix
Namco x Capcom
Shadow Tower Abyss

PSP
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Incomplete, but playable.)

Saturn
Shining Force III

B.K.

Aeana said:
Well, there are LOOOADS of fan translations, but I assume we're sticking post-SNES hardware here since that's more manageable. In that case,

Yeah, I think it's best to stay with post SNES hardware. When I made a thread about Final Fantasy XII's patch, most people didn't know there were patches for anything beyond the 16-bit systems.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

(sadly will remain incomplete, but they got like 99% of the stuff translated)

Also what is this thread's opinion on 'undubs'?

I see there is a Valkyria Chronicles II undub although i'm unsure of the legality of downloading it, since I assume it's basically copyrighted Japanese audio files which are patched into the English version. I guess it would morally be okay.

Aeana

A Twisty Fluken said:
Is there a good directory of clutch SNES trans work?
Yes.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Undubs aren't really legal unless you own both versions of the game, so they're typically frowned upon and linking them here has been against the rules in the past.

B.K.

I NEED SCISSORS said:

I see there is a Valkyria Chronicles II undub although i'm unsure of the legality of downloading it, since it's basically copyrighted Japanese audio files which are patched into the English version. I guess it would morally be okay.

There have been threads about undubs before. I'm pretty sure discussion about them is allowed. I didn't really want to get into undubs in this thread though. I just wanted this one to be about translations.

B.K.

Added Policenauts. I forgot it.

I'd like people to just post finished patches, but if there are patches like Soma Bringer and that Monster Hunter game, where the group is dead, but the game is almost completely translated and playable, feel free to post them.

Aeana

vall03 said:
what about the patches by Aeon Genesis? there are tons from his website
BK said he'd like to limit this to post-SNES hardware, and Aeon Genesis does mostly Famicom and Super Famicom translations, with the odd exception.

ampere

I plan to replay FFXII soon, and I want to play the International edition. It's awesome that it has been fan translated.

Aeana

ciaossu said:
I plan to replay FFXII soon, and I want to play the International edition. It's awesome that it has been fan translated.
Better yet, it takes the English text from the official translation and puts it into the International version, translating the small amount of new text in the process. So it really is the best possible product.

Teknoman

sgggpackfrontmockupweb.jpg

Still WIP: http://www.adilegian.com/Segagaga/

(last post was May of this year, so still a good sign)

The IDOLM@STER SP fan translation project has been ongoing awhile now. It says they are stalled at the moment, I have no idea if/when they will resume. I've actually found that the game isn't super hard to play in Japanese, once you've fumbled around the first few times with events and things and have figured out what you're supposed to do.
http://tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php?title=Idolmaster_SP

My really old thread about Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System can be found here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392171

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope the Segagaga translation gets finished.

I'd also really like someone to hack a translation into the DC versions of the Sakura Taisen games. They'd be the easiest versions to play for me.

Aeana

viewtifulsub said:
Why need to compile a fan translation list when one is already done (and regularly updated)?
http://www.romhacking.net/trans/
The purpose of this thread is to get awareness of post-SNES fan translations out to people here on GAF. As BK mentioned, a lot of people don't seem to realize that there are many PSX, GBA, DS, and PS2 games translated.

redlemon

Alrus said:
I wonder if this will ever be finished, the progress bar hasn't moved in ages =/

The progress bar is there because people kept whining for one if I remember correctly. It doesn't actually indicate anything.

Ultratech

redlemon said:
The progress bar is there because people kept whining for one if I remember correctly. It doesn't actually indicate anything.

Yeah, it's more or less a joke. It's actually not surprising to go for a while without hearing anything from him. Doesn't mean he's not working on it, but the actual progress is sorta unknown.

To be fair, I'd be kinda fine with a menu patch, since the one in the demo is very well put together.

Top Bottom