• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 119: Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Theme: Hope

I've been doing some different things and making some changes in my life, and I'm not entirely sure where everything is going to lead me. That's where I got the idea for the next assignment. Maybe you guys can inspire me a bit :)

We can extend until Sunday, 9/18, 11:59pm PST. Start voting right after and wrap up on Tuesday 11:59pm PST. Gives another weekend.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos posted in assignment thread should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge. You may include a link to a higher resolution version.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

mrkgoo

Ok, found it. I should have searched.

Speaking of assignments, I posted this in the Q3 thread, but that thing zooms by these days.

I wanted to highlight a really cool competition run by Canon (I think in NZ and Aus):

It's called World of EOS Photo5.

Basically, the competition is a series of 5 "assignments" or briefs. One is open with a theme, but the other 4 are 4 mystery items that get sent to you, and 4 separate briefs. Sounds fun.

Checkout this video - must see!:

http://www.canon.co.nz/en-nz/worldofeos/photo5/home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ujHxPiFrP0

I'm hoping to get my box soon, but I have no hope of getting anywhere judging by the talent that gets submitted. But should be fun!

But man, between forum assignments, and the entries in the competition so far and in the past, it just goes to show that my ideas are typically very ...well, typical. Like I have very little creativity, an also highlights my lack of processing skills. :/

Anyway, assignments are always good practice.

It's all about improving, right? I remember hearing from someone that photography's not about being the best, but just being better than you were the day before.

brerwolfe

no entries yet? you'd think this would be an easier assignment, maybe everyone's expectations are really high for what they feel "hope" should look like..

I've always wanted to join these assignments but chicken out before I hit the Submit button.

Shot was taken while riding in the car as I passed by a rural farm town in North Cotabato, Mindanao.

Araro by Manobo, on Flickr

My interpretation:
Farmers are always hoping for bountiful crops next harvest season.

OT:
I'm a Flickr noob, why is the exif not showing all the details when I upload pictures? Here's another upload in photobucket.

brerwolfe

i'm planning on a shot for this assignment, but should the deadline be extended? there's only one entry and it ends on wednesday!

JORMBO

Darkness no more
We can extend until Sunday 11:59pm PST. Start voting right after and wrap up on Tuesday 11:59pm PST. Gives another weekend.

I've been a bit busy myself and haven't gotten around to shooting anything for this either :(

Avocado

My club arranged a taekwondo tournament last weekend, and this gave me the opportunity to try my hand at some low-light high movement pictures. I thought this picture fits the theme of the assignment pretty well.

Before the fight by Nedim Husic, on Flickr

mrkgoo

Darkness said:
We can extend until Sunday 11:59pm PST. Start voting right after and wrap up on Tuesday 11:59pm PST. Gives another weekend.

I've been a bit busy myself and haven't gotten around to shooting anything for this either :(

Only you can edit the opening post, so if you;re going to extend it, you'll have to change the dates above.

I've just been very busy.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I like that reaching one, but wish the outline of her mouth was either less apparent or in the form of a strenuous reach. She looks happy in it, despite how I frame the shot to be.

golem

6148623806_388251eb41_b.jpg

This is quite a personal one... and I'd rather not go into too much detail, but I'm leaving my village behind to move to University in the next week, saying goodbye to all of my friends... including my girlfriend who you can see in the photo below. Neither of us are really sure what's going to happen after I move... so yeah...

6148131185_a713c2eed8_b.jpg

cory021

Neo Member
Scythian Empire said:
This is quite a personal one... and I'd rather not go into too much detail, but I'm leaving my village behind to move to University in the next week, saying goodbye to all of my friends... including my girlfriend who you can see in the photo below. Neither of us are really sure what's going to happen after I move... so yeah...
You live in a village? :p

Anyways, that's an awesome picture.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I always thought of you as a New Englander and to hear you say "university" flip a switch in my mind that something was awry. :)

Suike

Neo Member
gaf-hope.jpg

On my trip to Myrtle Beach last weekend, an entire cart of luggage was left off our plane leaving around 20 people without their bags. I don't think the small Delta crew was ready for it.

brerwolfe

dammit.. never got my picture on here..

here we go:
1. Maiar_m
2. Suike

@Suike, that sucks. There aren't many things that are worse than showing up at a destination with no luggage. It's happened to me a couple times when flying overseas. Poor exchange rates don't help things.

@golem, I really liked your image, but to me it looks more like disappointment, like she's already moved on from hope.

@Scythian, awesome capture as always. The only thing I can offer is that if being together is something you really want, then there's nothing stopping it from happening, especially given the technology we have today and the plethora of options to communicate. My wife and I had been separated for 2 years, one year being my 1st year at university, the other year being my first real job as a television camera operator. We didn't have cell phones and wireless internet every where you go back then, or video chat. These simple technologies have definitely helped to shrink the space in long-distance relationships. Good luck to the both of you.

brerwolfe

24FrameDaVinci said:
Suike, it looks like that woman's hand was photoshopped in :lol
yeah, those are some washed up beach babe finger nails if i ever saw them. if i didn't know any better i'd think you flew to south florida, not Myrtle Beach.

mrkgoo

1st choice: Maiar_M. Has story, tells the theme, and a cool image.
Runner up: Alien Monobo. I like the interpretation of reaping what you sow and the inherent hope in that.

Hounourables: Scythian, Golem. Strong images.

Maiar_m

1. Scythian
2. Golem
HM. Everyone else, actually. I liked every post, this time. I just picked those I thought worked best with the theme (Golem) and those I liked better (Scythian)

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Maiar_m said:
My entry!

Scythian Empire said:

6148131185_a713c2eed8_b.jpg

Grats!

Maiar_m

Well, it doesn't look as if Scythian is in for it.

If someone wants to launch a new thread, here's the usual script:

Theme: Fall

As in falling, or as in Autumn. The thing is, the autumn side of it will be much more fun to shoot in a few weeks, so I first mean it as the action of falling. But as always, do as you like.

Deadline: 10/15, 11:59pm GMT. Start voting right after and wrap up on Tuesday 11.00pm GMT. That's two weekends and a half.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

-- Photos posted in assignment thread should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge. You may include a link to a higher resolution version.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Maiar_m said:
Well, it doesn't look as if Scythian is in for it.

If someone wants to launch a new thread, here's the usual script:

Theme: Fall

As in falling, or as in Autumn. The thing is, the autumn side of it will be much more fun to shoot in a few weeks, so I first mean it as the action of falling. But as always, do as you like.

Deadline: 10/15, 11:59pm GMT. Start voting right after and wrap up on Tuesday 11.00pm GMT. That's two weekends and a half.

5) Have fun!

I'll create it for ya!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446930

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom