• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword Nintendo Power Information of SPOILERS GALORE!

BY2K

Membero Americo
The October Issue of Nintendo Power has new details on Skyward Sword. Be aware there ARE plot details! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

STORY DETAILS BELOW, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED!:

- Ghirahim seeks to revive his master.
- The headmaster of the Knight Academy Link goes to is named Gaepora.
- Gaepora is Zelda's father.
- Gaepora laugh like this "Hoo hoo hoo", which seems Owl like.
- Zelda wakes up Link one morning to show him her dress for the Bird Riders ceremony.
- Noticing how lazy Link is about his flying training, Zelda pushes him off the edge of Skyloft.
- During the "date" after the competition, Zelda is trying to tell something to Link she's been meaning to tell him for a long time, but is interrupted by a tornado.
- Link has premonitions of a black creature that shallows Zelda.
- During the attack of said tornado, Link is saved by his bird, which are called Loftwings.
- Fi appears in Skyloft after the attack and Link chases her all around Skyloft to the Goddess Statue.
- Fi was created by the Goddess to guide Link.
- The Sheikhas Stones are back has the game's hint system.
- The Eldin Volcano's dungeon is NOT the Fire Temple, it's the EARTH Temple.
- The bullies are named Groose, Cawlin and Stritch. Groose, the red-haired one, has a big crush on Zelda.
- Other characters includes Pipit, a senior student and bird expert. And Fledge, a nice guy but kind of a wimp.
- Link's sword is referred to has the Goddess Sword and appears to be its official name. It is no longer called the Skyward Sword. Link gains the Goddess Sword before getting his green tunic.
- The Earth Temple's boss full name is: "Pyroclastic Fiend Spaldera".
- Link raids a Bokoblin camp in Eldin to get the area rid of them. You earn the Digging Gloves and the Bomb Bag as a thanks.
- Nintendo Power makes the theory that Ghirahim's master is the black creature Link has nightmares about.
- The woman currently believed to be a Sheikah is very "ninja-like."

Gameplay details:

- Night/Day transition does not occur in real-time. Link must go to bed and choose to get up at night or at day.
- Monster appear during the night. Cats become aggressive. The cats are apparently the freakiest enemies you'll encounter.
- The HUD can be customized. Standard, Light and Pro. Standard shows the full controller overlay and button functions, Light only the buttons and Pro is almost completely clean.
- The only way to save your game is with the birds statues. They are pretty much everywhere, including mid-dungeon and right before boss rooms. From the Sky you can return to any activated statue.
- Almost everything in the environment can be interacted with.
- The Sword Beam is called a Skyward Strike.
- Skyloft is said to be gigantic.
- The Bazaar includes the Scrap Shop, a Fortune Teller, a Potion Shop and a Storage where you can store items that don't fit in your inventory. (Does that mean your inventory is limited to a couple of items? That the space in the item wheel doesn't actually represent the number of items found in the game?)

More will be added as I get new infos.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Kinda disappointed by no day/night cycle...that was always cool in the 3D games. But I guess, from a game-play perspective, it got annoying having to wait.

Hope we have random storms atleast like in WW and TP.

Tuck

Do we need to spoiler tag? I will just in case.

Loftwings are a really stupid name. Skyloft - loftwings. Oh I get it, haha so clever. They could have done better. But that's a minor nitpick, if anything.

No realtime day night cycles is somewhat disappointing. I feel like flying as the day turns to night would be sick, though I never really liked playing at night in Zelda games,s o maybe this is a good thing.

Watch Da Birdie

Jaded Alyx said:
I dunno....they don't seem much like spoilers to me..

Really?

This basically means that the stupid owl was basically the ultimate "King of Hyrule".

Wouldn't be surprised if he has the Wind Waker as well since he lives in Skyloft, since the King in WW implied it had been passed down.

SPOIL ME!
3AQmK.gif

Watch Da Birdie

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Someone help me. How spoiler-y are the gameplay spoilers? On a scale of "it's in the manual" to "GameTrailers review".

All stuff that are probably revealed early on in the game, it seems.

Two of them are enough to cast the whole series in a new light, potentially.

Kazerei

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Someone help me. How spoiler-y are the gameplay spoilers? On a scale of "it's in the manual" to "GameTrailers review".

The gameplay spoilers are pretty tame. Close to "it's in the manual".

Pocks

Can we either:

1) separate the gameplay information and the story information into two threads
-OR-
2) continue spoiler tagging the story information

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Not that much here but... Night/day thing seems pointless. Are we sure it's not both, rather than just that way?

On saving:
bird statues are the only means of saving in the game. There will be bird statues mid-temple and before bosses. You can freely warp between bird statues you've activated except the temple ones

Watch Da Birdie

The bullies are named Groose, Cawlin and Stritch. Groose, the red-haired one, has a big crush on Zelda.
Classic Nintendo puns. :p

Vanille

The new day/night system definitely sounds like a step backwards. I was hoping Skyloft would be as atmospheric as the Great Sea, but that doesn't look likely now.

Flare

shadyspace said:
On saving:
bird statues are the only means of saving in the game. There will be bird statues mid-temple and before bosses. You can freely warp between bird statues you've activated except the temple ones

The only thing I didn't like in Majora's Mask... =(
Hopefully it makes the game harder.

Loving the HUD options though, not so sure about the
day/night
thing.

shadyspace said:
On saving:
Last detail I will ever look at. I'm guessing this means the games gonna be pretty hard. (Please be true.)

RPGCrazied

Good going Nintendo. :p

Doesn't bother me that much. I will be using the pro layout as well. Who wants to play with a huge ugly ass wiimote on the screen?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
story really sounds a bit too anime high schooly... also the first point makes my eyes roll if it means what I think.

emb

Grrrr, I wanna read. But I don't want to read.

It's been a long time since I've actually wanted to follow a game so closely. Usually these days, I think 'I'm tired of hearing about it already, I just want to play!', but with this one I constantly get hyped from new details too. Reminds me of Japan time, but way more sporadic.

Yeah, I think it's time to start holding off now though.

madkiller

BY2K said:
- During the "date" after the competition, Zelda is trying to tell something to Link she's been meaning to tell him for a long time, but is interrupted by a tornado.

Link finally getting laid confirmed?

dvolovets

shadyspace said:
On saving:
It's weird, when the game was first unveiled I got a distinctly
Majora's Mask
vibe from it... looks like I was right on.

Though has it graduated from Ocarina of Time with a PhD, or merely a bachelors?

I hate that owl so fucking much, though part of it was due to my own impatience leading to me accidentally getting him to repeat himself in OoT. A humanoid Navi would of been a neater throwback IMO

Also, are the
skywhales seen in the last trailer meant to be a throwback to Link's Awakening's Windfish
? Major props if that's the case.

Caelus

Pie and Beans said:
story really sounds a bit too anime high schooly... also the first point makes my eyes roll if it means what I think.

Should it be drilled into people's heads that Ganondorf has been confirmed not to appear in this game? The master is probably some other demon or dark interloper thing.

On interacting with the environment:
nearly everything can be interacted with. No more static items. Roll into a bookcase and everything inside on the bookcase will move, things on top of the bookcase will knock over.

On Link's first(?) sword:
Is called the Goddess Sword. Link is pictured having and using it in his Skyloft garb, pre-green tunic

dvolovets

shadyspace said:
On interacting with the environment:
nearly everything can be interacted with. No more static items. Roll into a bookcase and everything inside on the bookcase will move, things on top of the bookcase will knock over.
:O greatest Zelda ever confirmed

Caelus said:
Should it be drilled into people's heads that Ganondorf has been confirmed not to appear in this game? The master is probably some other demon or dark interloper thing.
Better not be a repeat of what happened in TP, though obviously it'd be a bit bizarre for Ganondorf to have anything beyond a cameo in this game. There's a problem when Zelda and Ganondorf are the worst and most tacked-on parts of a Legend of Zelda plot.

Kard8p3

Pie and Beans said:

It doesn't mean what you think.
It's been confirmed that Ganon isn't in this game.

Watch Da Birdie said:
All stuff that are probably revealed early on in the game, it seems.

Two of them are enough to cast the whole series in a new light, potentially.
Kazerei said:
The gameplay spoilers are pretty tame. Close to "it's in the manual".
Thanks guys, read the gameplay stuff. The HUD thing is great. I am all for more customization. So, uh, how about difficulty levels next Nintendo?

Top Bottom