• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

Sakurai tweeted a little while ago, "waiting for Nintendo Direct to start at 23:00..." -- he also retweeted Nintendo's Nintendo Direct tweet.

Ryce

I saw that he mentioned E3 but I'm not sure if he said video or pictures? Also can anyone translate what he said something about smash and Nov 6. I know it's not release date or anything. I just want to know what he said.
"Video/image/footage" can all translate to the same thing, but it'd be silly for there to be screens and no trailer. This is Smash Bros. Oh, and he said June 11, which is E3, not November 6.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So this is like waiting for Pokemon XY except with a smaller time frame... and instead of a game it's a trailer.

Anyone think that SMT x Fire Emblem crossover is gonna confirm some FE characters for us?
The teaser trailer shows Marth, Ike, and Roy but also Chrom, though I don't think that might confirm any characters for that game just yet.

Though I think that might have some influence over what'll be in Smash 4.

Of course it's important, but that hardly anyone wants to speculate about it right now is mostly because "customization" can mean just about everything.

Not really, in the context it was used in it can mean 1 of 4 things to different degrees.
1- Cosmetic Customization. How things look, alt models or suits.
2- Stats Customization. How strong/ fast/ heavy characters are.
3- Move-set Customization. Stance system or something that gives you a selection of attacks.
4- Any combination of the above.

The way it was used can pretty much rule out it being exclusively 1. What's the point of "Building up your character" on the 3DS and bringing it to the WU if it's purely cosmetic? Plus Nintendo is extremely picky about how their Ips are presented.

Either way, it's best to look at what what the devs have done in the past to see what it might be.

Also, I think you're not the most popular user in here, with your wall of texts and very aggressive discussion style, so maybe some people just don't read your posts at full.
Well, I can't help it if people don't want to read on a forum.

And I doubt my popularity has anything to do with it.

Plus, I brang this up way before my "popularity" dropped. It's always been the most interesting topic to me that gets over looked.

I don't think the idea of customizing a fighter is going to go over well. Competitions are just gonna ban the use of anything but stock characters, anyway (because having a fighter who's much stronger than the others around him due to time being invested in leveling him up would go over swimmingly, naturally), and I can't even fathom how the tier lists are gonna turn out (like, say, top stock tier doesn't level up particularly well, while a mid-tier can level up to consistently beat the top stock tier, when he'd typically be routinely trounced in a stock match).

On the other hand, with regards to the second point there, this would be a giant "screw you" to those behind tier lists, which I often find myself full of contempt over... might be mildly satisfying to see their work be made that much harder. Schadenfreude and all that.

I suppose stances or customizable move lists might work; it's basically the creation of an all-new character without actually creating an all-new character, and would let me, say, swap out FLUDD for the Hurricane Twirl Thing for Mario, which would suit me just fine (since I find the former awkward and the latter useful). Probably limit it to side/up/down-B moves, though; customizing the A attacks might be pushing it a lot, and having a standard B move would make it easier to balance Kirby around the other characters.

Quackula

What about customization in terms of gameplay options? Basically expanding heavily on stuff like the item switch. Options to change how gravity behaves, turn on off throws/specials/etc.

How about an event match editor?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I guess that one rumor from a few weeks ago is now false...no Caesar in JoJoASB, no Smash Nintendo Direct, and no Debu in Yoshi...

I wonder if they're incorporate the new Yoshi into Smash somehow though.

SmithnCo

I guess that one rumor from a few weeks ago is now false...no Caesar in JoJoASB, no Smash Nintendo Direct, and no Debu in Yoshi...

I wonder if they're incorporate the new Yoshi into Smash somehow though.

Hopefully as an alt. They'll have to keep the iconic Yoshi, but yarn Yoshi and Kirby alts would be nice.

ffdgh

So....would Link become toon adult link or big toon link?
KuGsj.gif

Sweet, got my account approved. I posted in the IGN Smash Bros boards pre-Brawl so I thought I'd start in this thread.

People are expecting Takamaru? Even after Nintendoland he doesn't seem interesting enough to make it in as a full character. I'm not completely opposed, but I'd rather see a retro character with more originality.

Ridley and the removed Melee characters are at the top of my wishlist. Everything else is icing.

Ryce

People are expecting Takamaru? Even after Nintendoland he doesn't seem interesting enough to make it in as a full character. I'm not completely opposed, but I'd rather see a retro character with more originality.
Apart from using a katana, he throws shuriken, fireballs, and lightning in his game, and he even has an invisibility cloak. He certainly wouldn't play like any of the other sword-based characters in the game.

Something also worth considering is that the retro characters aren't chosen arbitrarily. Mr. Game & Watch represents an entire line of portable devices; the Ice Climbers represent classic games from the original NES; Pit represents the Famicom Disk System; and R.O.B. represents itself as an (historically important) accessory to the NES. With the recent resurrection of Kid Icarus, Takamaru could replace Pit as the FDS representative.

GamerSoul

Sweet, got my account approved. I posted in the IGN Smash Bros boards pre-Brawl so I thought I'd start in this thread.

Ridley and the removed Melee characters are at the top of my wishlist. Everything else is icing.

Sup. I'm kinda expecting Takamaru. Like Ryce said, he wouldn't play like any other character with all the options they have to choose from in terms of moves. Imo, it's also hard to believe that we still don't have a playable character who wields a Katana, which can bring a different style of sword play.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I heard through the GAFvine that HAL Labs is also co-developing this game. Does anyone have any source confirming this? Also, do we know how big Sora Ltd is?

Ryce

Legit question: Do we know what Sakurai's stance on DLC is?
He seemed receptive to the idea in Brawl interviews, but it obviously wasn't possible back then.

As an aside, here's what I'm thinking Sakurai has in mind regarding Zelda:
  • Toon Zelda will be the only new character: she was planned for Brawl, played a major role in Spirit Tracks, and is now reappearing in the HD Wind Waker remake
  • Skyward Sword will be repped through a Ghirahim Assist Trophy and Skyloft stage
  • Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf's designs will be based on the upcoming Wii U Zelda game

Legit question: Do we know what Sakurai's stance on DLC is?

I've heard different people claim that he likes it and that he doesn't believe in it, never seen a source either way.

I heard through the GAFvine that HAL Labs is also co-developing this game. Does anyone have any source confirming this? Also, do we know how big Sora Ltd is?

I've never seen any mention of HAL working on this game, and Sora Ltd. is more or less just Sakurai and like one other dude; it's basically just Sakurai's office.

Ryce

There's no evidence that HAL is working on this. Sora Ltd. consists only of Sakurai (and maybe his assistant); Project Sora, the studio that developed Uprising, was disbanded shortly after that game's release. I'm sure several of the team members are working on SSB4, though.

L Thammy

I'm pretty sure you do. He's a samurai that rescues a princess by killing a whole bunch of ninja with shuriken. And there's an alien involved, I guess.

Ryce

If you don't know who Takamaru is, here's a quick chart I just made in Photoshop to illustrate his relationship to important Nintendo games/characters:

BgEv7w8.png

I just want Takamaru in for the sake of completion. I really wonder how iconic he'd have become had Nintendo localized Murasame Castle back in the day. He's easily the most significant retro character to not be playable in Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom