• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASW' Ishiwatari: Path Cleared For New Guilty Gear

Courtesy of Gamasutra:
While rumors abounded on the internet that legal problems were stopping a new Guilty Gear game from being developed, in a new Gamasutra interview, Arc System Works' Guilty Gear director Daisuke Ishiwatari tells us that nothing's stopping him now.

In 2009, rumors surfaced that legal issues with publisher Sega Sammy were interfering with plans for the continuation of the popular Guilty Gear fighting game series.

Once a stalwart of the fighting game scene, it was seemingly dropped by developer Arc System Works in favor of a new franchise, BlazBlue, which launched in 2008. While it carried over many of GG's signature elements, it was a totally new IP.

Gamasutra spoke to GG director Ishiwatari about the issue at the time, in a lengthy feature interview.

Citing rumors on the net, Gamasutra asked him what was up with the franchise. "I might not be able to provide answers there," said Ishiwatari. All the same, were the rumors on the net true? "Yeah, I can't really talk about it much... except to say that they're basically true," said a laughing Ishiwatari.

That was as close a confirmation as we were able to get.

But speaking to Ishiwatari at this year's Tokyo Game Show, we were able to find out that nothing is stopping Arc System Works now.

"Well, rumors are rumors," he said, once again. "I'd be lying if I said there were no problems at all, but much of that has been cleared away since. There's no impediment to making it now."

More at the link

Personally, I'm excited as hell at the prospect of a new Guilty Gear. I'd love to see what they could bring to the table with HD resolutions. We need more HD spritework like Skullgirls to show us some of that 2D muscle. I'm also dying to see the return of our old favorites.

Lock if old...

Ken Masters said:
I'd like to see hd guilty gears, but not like skull girls
Not stylistically like Skullgirls. I mean as daring as it.

I'd love to see them take a leap with colors, animations, lighting and the inventiveness overall. I'm not trying to drown my favorite fighter in panty shots haha(not a knock at Skullgirls, I'm just sayin').

BOTEC

Other than picking -insert favorite GG character here- again, what would be the point of a new Guilty Gear? BlazBlue is GG with a new coat of paint essentially. Unless they keep the spastic shit in BB, and reinvent a new fighting system for GG, which would no doubt piss off all their fanbase, I don't see any reason to bring it back.

HD GG would be fucking glorious.

I wonder if the music will be slightly altered to commemorate its HD-era rebirth. I mean, the music is pretty perfect already...would be interesting regardless, though.

Guilty Gear is the last thing on their minds. The very last thing.

Have you seen their dev schedule? Damn, they're focusing on Persona 4 than they have BB3, then and only then can they focus on GG. It's like the Square Enix of fighting games.

Sad really, I love me some GG even though i'm betting a new GG would see the game and its plot dumbed down for a "new" casual audience. (No more pedo ky?)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
A new HD GG needs (GG2 spoilers)
the Kiske royal family making their debut~ King Ky Kiske, Queen Dizzy Kiske, and Prince Sin Kiske FTW ;D

Oh, and of course Sol <3

Gravijah said:
please have music on par with gg

I WILL NOT LOWER MY STANDARDS TO BB LEVEL
I liked BlazBlue's music quite a bit. Not as great as Guilty Gear's stuff, but it was pretty good.

Still, it'd be pretty awesome if we got optional classic tracks to go with brand new music.
Nora Kisaragi said:
Guilty Gear is the last thing on their minds. The very last thing.

Have you seen their dev schedule? Damn, they're focusing on Persona 4 than they have BB3, then and only then can they focus on GG. It's like the Square Enix of fighting games.
I would be totally okay with a Guilty Gear developed using next gen technology. More powerful components(especially more RAM) means a much prettier and faster game. I can't even imagine what a 1080p Guilty Gear would like like now if 2D games like Skullgirls can be made on the HD consoles right now by smaller devs.

I can wait four years for a new one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is great news to me. I miss Sol Badguy. Ragna is just not the same.

Chavelo

E1nUD.gif

IT'S A CELEBRATION, BITCHES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apRtamRa3NI

:D

Fugu

BOTEC said:
Other than picking -insert favorite GG character here- again, what would be the point of a new Guilty Gear? BlazBlue is GG with a new coat of paint essentially. Unless they keep the spastic shit in BB, and reinvent a new fighting system for GG, which would no doubt piss off all their fanbase, I don't see any reason to bring it back.
BB is quite a bit slower comapred to Guilty Gear. The pacing of the match is entirely different -- characters lose more health in more fleeting decisions in GG than they do in BB so matches end a lot faster. Small differences between the two -- like barrier costing real meter in GG and the playing space being smaller -- add up to quite a lot.

Also, considering how distinct the characters are in BB and GG, not being able to play as your favorite character is a pretty big deal.

Arcsys is a strange case here.

I'd much rather them add like 3x more frames of animation per action than just simply do higher res sprites.

Tguy said:
I need my HD baiken.
Indeed
Chavelo said:
That dude is hilarious haha!
Chavelo said:
Also...

;3
Keep Capcom away from Guilty Gear please and thanks.
Tiger uppercut said:
Somebody call Reverge, we need a HD GG.
I'd love it if those two shared ideas and tech.
robut said:
Accent Core Plus on xbla please.
Someone get this man a job at ASW pronto.

Caj814

SolarPowered said:
She'll look like this with some luck.

Baiken_GG_06.jpg

That dude is hilarious haha!

Keep Capcom away from Guilty Gear please and thanks.

I'd love it if those two shared ideas and tech.

Someone get this man a job at ASW pronto.
baiken looks awesome as a bandwidth exceeded logo!

There was a time when I would've given a ridiculous amount of cash for a Capcom vs ASW, but that time has passed.

I'd love a Guilty Gear vs BlazBlue though. I could totally see Bang and Anji on the same team haha.
QisTopTier said:
This piece is pretty amazing. There is so much Guilty Gear music out there that you almost can't keep track of it all.
Caj814 said:
baiken looks awesome as a bandwidth exceeded logo!
I already got rid of it since I don't want it to cause any problems.

:p

Crocodile

I swear I've read this before? Regardless, let me know when this is an actual thing I can hold in my hands and not a pipe dream. Hopefully they can also bring the animation up to 21st century standards. <3 Sol

TreIII

Hm. Considering Ishiwatari originally planned for GG to be using 3D renders in a 2D style, I wonder what that could mean for the series, now.

Anyway, while I want to see a new GG, I really want it to be a true follow-up to AC. And judging by some remarks said a while ago by Ishiwatari and others, that may or may not happen.

Top Bottom