• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 122: Inspired by...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Posting for user Maiar_m who lacks posting privileges.

Theme: Inspired by...

..a song, a movie, a video game, your grandma, your dog, your dog's grandma's movie's theme song. You get the point. Rule 1 still applies.

Deadline: 11/20, 11:59pm GMT+1. Start voting right after and wrap up on Tuesday 11:59pm GMT+1.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos posted in assignment thread should be no larger than 1000 pixels on the long edge. You may include a link to a higher resolution version.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads, then by who can wrap their head in a roll of saran wrap fastest.

5) Have fun!

Damaged

Ooh,.. will have to get my finger out and try and take something for this one. Really looking forward to seeing what everybody comes up with

brerwolfe

i haven't entered one of these in a while although i always have an idea just in case i have time. i didn't know what i would do for this assignment, but i went to a local high school football game last night to take pictures for their "Senior Night" and snapped this:

312828_10150395720193259_844168258_8211209_137053837_n.jpg

senior night represents the last game the seniors will play on their home field. i felt that this image represented growth, and the obvious metaphor of "letting go" and drifting into new life adventures... even if it's just a football picture with balloons..

Maiar_m

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
So it has to be something inspiring uhm need to think about this one, will try to do take some and to start doing the assignments again.
Its has to be something inspired. If you think a certain song from an obscure hard metal band best translate intro a close-up on a shoe lace, that's good enough for me. Post the shoe-lace and the song, and you may call it a day!

Easy peasy.

Gabyskra

Banned
3 days and some hours left... For now I don't feel very inspired myself, and the weather has gotten so cold here that I don't go out much. I wish I could take pictures of my students, it would fit the theme. I wonder how many submissions we'll have in the end.

brerwolfe

i'm totally going to revoke my entry if we don't get some more in here.. there needs to be at least a 3 entry minimum.

what would it take to get you to go outside? rather, what inspires you to stay in? i know i'm probably not helping, just trying to get a different thought process going.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
brerwolfe said:
i'm totally going to revoke my entry if we don't get some more in here.. there needs to be at least a 3 entry minimum.

what would it take to get you to go outside? rather, what inspires you to stay in? i know i'm probably not helping, just trying to get a different thought process going.

I'll have something!

Gabyskra

Banned
brerwolfe said:

Oh, I'll do something, it's okay. For now I'm thinking portrait, I might change my mind.

brerwolfe

Good on both of you. While I like my photo, I in no way think it should ever be good enough to win against the talent we have in the photo and assignment threads.

Damaged

I'm hoping to get something sorted before the closing date but I'm really stumped for ideas, not too inspired right now lol

Maiar_m said:
Its has to be something inspired. If you think a certain song from an obscure hard metal band best translate intro a close-up on a shoe lace, that's good enough for me. Post the shoe-lace and the song, and you may call it a day!

Easy peasy.
WOW you do have a nice creative mind! will try to take some photos tomorrow, hopefully you guys will like it :)

Here is my inspiration:

"On December I am getting married and all of this has made me think on the future and about having kids, so on the picture there are some symbols that represent my inspiration".

Hopefully you will like it:

Nikon D5000
1/1000
f/3.5
42 mm
ISO 200

Getting very inspired by the OWS movement. I decided to do a portrait series of 99 percenters wearing ties but without the shirts on their backs.

6366583713_f4d9b14d3a_z.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
rose-small.jpg

Camera Canon EOS 5D
Focal Length 50 mm
Shutter Speed 1/60 sec.
Aperture 1.8
ISO/Film 1600

See a larger version

In celebration of my six-month wedding anniversary, I decided to take some photos of my wife's rings and the rose I bought her as an anniversary gift. So, inspired by her, in many ways!

Maiar_m

i haven't entered one of these in a while although i always have an idea just in case i have time. i didn't know what i would do for this assignment, but i went to a local high school football game last night to take pictures for their "Senior Night" and snapped this:

312828_10150395720193259_844168258_8211209_137053837_n.jpg

senior night represents the last game the seniors will play on their home field. i felt that this image represented growth, and the obvious metaphor of "letting go" and drifting into new life adventures... even if it's just a football picture with balloons..

Here is my inspiration:

"On December I am getting married and all of this has made me think on the future and about having kids, so on the picture there are some symbols that represent my inspiration".

Hopefully you will like it:

Nikon D5000
1/1000
f/3.5
42 mm
ISO 200

Okay, this is a thin connection but im always inspired by nature and the shapes created so:

DSC_4451_01 by nunsofanarchy, on Flickr

if its not enough of a connection feel free to leave me out but i figured i should try :)

Getting very inspired by the OWS movement. I decided to do a portrait series of 99 percenters wearing ties but without the shirts on their backs.

6366583713_f4d9b14d3a_z.jpg

This photo brought to you by loneliness, I also did a black/white edit but wasn't sure which one to use.

201111Crowders073-L.jpg

I went with inspired by science, mainly energy since I'm an EE working in oil and gas, and made a trip to the local museum which has an exhibit.

DSC00315 by bitmipsyndicate, on Flickr
Sony SLT-A35
1/160
f/1.8
50 mm
ISO 200

Inspired by Global Warming.

Nikon D7000 + 85mm
f/2.2
1/1000s
ISO 200

rose-small.jpg

See a larger version

In celebration of my six-month wedding anniversary, I decided to take some photos of my wife's rings and the rose I bought her as an anniversary gift. So, inspired by her, in many ways!

Thanks for taking part! Let the voting begin.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Pringles - Interesting photo that tells the story without any real explanation. I like the tones and bright light coming from the top of the image.

Brerwolfe - I like the composition as well as the colors, along with the expressions on the people's faces. I think this captured the theme really well.

Arnoldo - Cool idea. I like the composition, angle and it's an interesting photo. I wish you would have focused on the front horse rather then the second one. The front one being out of focus is a little distracting. That might have been what you were going for though.

Damaged - I like the reflection and isolated feel of the image. It just didn't pull me into the theme as much as others. A good shot though.

Wiicast - I like the idea, especially with everything going on in the news related to this. This meets the theme really well. As someone that photographs people mostly I'm going to be a bit more overly critical of your shot though. I just find the lighting way too harsh.

Sneaky - I go hiking all the time on trails that look like that, so that might be why I don't find the shot too interesting. I walk on paths that look like this for an hour or so everyday this time of year. I also find paths more inviting then lonely, but that just goes to show how different people can take different meanings out of things :)

Pixel - Cool shot. Interesting composition and it fits the theme well. The brown colors and wear and tear on the gears help fit the whole machinery and inspired by theme.

Aidan - Nice tones and lighting that help set the mood. Good shot! Almost voted for this but I thought the other two met the theme a little better.

Darkness - You forgot to submit a photo dummy.

Damaged

Damaged - I like the reflection and isolated feel of the image. It just didn't pull me into the theme as much as others. A good shot though.

Thanks :) it was a very loose connection to the theme to be honest, was trying to get something in before the first deadline.

My votes go to:

1st : Pringles a great shot with lovely lighting

2nd: pixelated i love the shot and it made me realise I should have picked engineering / industrial revolution as my inspiration, so thanks for the inspiration you gave me :)

pringles

1. pixelated - we had a "what is it?" -theme once and your photo would have been great for that since it really does makes me wonder what it is you've shot. The narrow depth of field does wonders for it and I think it's just a really cool and interesting photo.

2. brerwolfe - very nice composition and colors. I also think you had a well explained and thought-out inspiration.

comments:

arnoldo - I really, really like the composition. And I really really agree with the aforementioned opionion that the focus feels like it's in the wrong place.

aidan - Neat idea, quality work as always. 3rd place vote from me.

Damaged - Good motive, I think more could have been done with it. Either a different angle or different processing maybe? As it is it doesn't really hold my attention.

TheWiicast - I like the inspiration and idea. The lighting is strong but that doesn't bother me too much although I think I'd have liked it more if we could see more of the shadow on the wall. Also, as it's supposed to represent "the 99%", it would have made more sense to me to make it a slightly more anonymous photo.

sneaky - I wonder if b&w isn't better for this one, maybe with some sepia tones, as I don't think the colors are anything special. I see where you're coming from and what you're trying to show, but I think it would have translated better if you pulled back and up a bit, showing more of the 'lonely' road.

1) Aiden: because I am feeling the beat with marriage :)

2) Pringles: That pictures is totally powerful, love it all, I would like to know how you took though.

And thanks very much for the opinions, as always you all are rigth about how I took the picture, should have really focused on the front horse, but well the important thing is that you guys always help me with my technique and that is something that i will be forever grateful.

pixelated

1. brerwolfe - A swift kill as far as this theme goes. Love the player's expression and sense of movement with letting go of the ballons.
2. Pringles - I can just hear the machines churning and echoing off the grades.
3. Aiden - Really hard not to pick this one higher than I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom