• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 124: Shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Theme: Shelter

Definition: "something beneath, behind, or within which a person, animal, or thing is protected from storms, missiles, adverse conditions, etc.; refuge."

Submissions are due by Sunday, January 29th 11:59 PM.

Voting begins Monday January 30th at 12:00 AM and ends Tuesday January 31st at 11:59 PM

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos posted in assignment thread should be no larger than 1024 pixels on the long edge. You may include a link to a higher resolution version.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

BlueTsunami

If you guys want to round out the assignment length to Sunday (so there will be a whole other weekend to get out and shoot) let me know. I thought 11 days would be long enough but want it to hit the right days to foster participation.

Hmmm, I have an idea for this, but the subject matter has a mind of its own and isn't always around in the right position

pringles

If you guys want to round out the assignment length to Sunday (so there will be a whole other weekend to get out and shoot) let me know. I thought 11 days would be long enough but want it to hit the right days to foster participation.

I think that might be a good idea. It's been kind of the norm to have the assignment period span two weekends since that's when most people have time to shoot.

Nice theme, I've got some ideas already..

brerwolfe

my entry: super weird cocoon on my wife's car.. underneath her passenger door handle.

6728411561_3638791760_z.jpg

brerwolfe

When you're close up you can see an outline of what looks like a worm/caterpillar/pupa. At least I hope that's what it is..

I felt like it was a good representation of the theme-- shelter under the handle, shelter within the webbing/cocoon.

Red

When you're close up you can see an outline of what looks like a worm/caterpillar/pupa. At least I hope that's what it is..

I felt like it was a good representation of the theme-- shelter under the handle, shelter within the webbing/cocoon.
Yeah it's a cool idea either way. I just haven't seen cocoons before which were that webby.

it's fucking gross is what it is. i'm gonna lose my shit if spiders come out after all is said and done. i check on it everyday.
It's a great shot, but I'm surprised you're leaving it there! Maybe it's a bit mean but if I saw that I would blast it with the strongest hose I could find. Ain't taking any chances!

brerwolfe

i'm just really curious to see what it is, my wife is too, surprisingly. i'm confused, because typically cocoons hang on plants and (i thought) get nutrients from the plant during its metamorphosis. not a whole lot of nutrients on the side of a car..

get up in the front grill or windshield during the spring, on the other hand, and there are a seemingly endless supply of nutrients..

it could very well be an egg sack of some sort, or some kind of alien plague that will rapidly wipe out the human race. i'll keep my eyes on it and let you know..

Wait wait wait. Jump the gun much. I have untill tonight to upload mine. I took a few and havent had enou time to edit or choose yet. Was going to do this when I got home from work later.

BlueTsunami

Hahaha, shit! I had a moment of panic thinking I totally forgot about the assignment thread. Yep, still a couple of hours left!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
4.jpg

Camera Apple iPhone 4S
Focal Length 4.28 mm
Shutter Speed 1/120 sec.
Aperture 2.4
ISO/Film 64

Red

I'm always surprised at the quality the iPhone is capable of. My Droid Bionic turns out poor pictures. The autofocus takes ages and the shutter speed is a little bit too slow, resulting in poor, blurry images.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'm always surprised at the quality the iPhone is capable of. My Droid Bionic turns out poor pictures. The autofocus takes ages and the shutter speed is a little bit too slow, resulting in poor, blurry images.

I've been impressed, even coming from a 5D. It's amazing to have a viable option in a device that I carry with me at all times.

dmshaposv

Just a random query, but what kind of sensor does iphone 4/4s have (in comparison to other standards)? Also i have 4, and is the aperture locked at f/ 2.8 (2.4 for 4s)? All my pics taken with it have the same f no

BlueTsunami

I believe the 4S is using one of those new fangled backlit sensors and its listed as f/2.4 lens. No info regarding who manufactures the lens? Which I think is one of the more surprising things about it, its very, very good for a smartphone.

Last second!

4gdYQ.jpg

Took this at the zoo. Had a few photos all in RAW. Hadn't any time all week until tonight to edit/pick. THen I almost forgot! Just remembered lol. That was close.

BlueTsunami

Red

1. Avocado - good concept, very whimsical. It's got a great lopsided, childlike charm.
2. Aidan - love the colors and the moment captured. Especially impressed because of the camera used.

Jzero

i really like Chaostrophy's. it feels like it fits the theme the best.

and the second one i like is Avocado's.

Zyzyxxz

I believe the 4S is using one of those new fangled backlit sensors and its listed as f/2.4 lens. No info regarding who manufactures the lens? Which I think is one of the more surprising things about it, its very, very good for a smartphone.

Split/joint production between Omnitech and Sony

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
1)Pringles
2)Aidan

Honorable mention to Avocado. I like the color tones, but I don't feel the composition really holds up compared to my other two picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom