• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X HD now starting development at SE First Production Department

Takao

Banned
Famitsu mentions that Square Enix’s 1st Production Department is handling Final Fantasy X HD. The development team is starting to work on it, which is why there haven’t been many announcements.

Siliconera

1st Production Department refers to SE's more important releases.

Aeana

Just want to point out that Theatrhythm is also 1st Production, so don't get too carried away with this.

duckroll

Siliconera

It is interesting that they're doing this internally, but I guess that goes with Kitase feeling as though this version would encompass the quality of the the original release.

1st Production Department refers to SE's more important releases.

1st Production Department doesn't mean the game is internal or entirely internal. It just means that Kitase or someone who is a 1stPD producer is producing the game. Theeratahtyme is also a 1stPD game, and on the 1stPD twitter they are also promoting the FF Brigade mobile game, which is from a 1stPD producer as well. Neither game is internal. The 3rd Birthday was also considered a 1stPD game (in fact, the 1stPD Twitter account is just a renamed T3B Twitter account), but it was programmed by Hexadrive.

Why does Square-Enix keep announcing games they haven't even started yet? I know it's just an HD port (presumably) so it shouldn't take too long, but you'd think they'd be wanting to avoid more Versus type situations.

Takao

Banned
This is an actual remake not just a port like most PS2 Ports

I doubt they'll remake the game. I suspect it'll be half/half where they'll upres most of it, and redo anything that looks really ugly or something.

1st Production Department doesn't mean the game is internal or entirely internal. It just means that Kitase or someone who is a 1stPD producer is producing the game. Theeratahtyme is also a 1stPD game, and on the 1stPD twitter they are also promoting the FF Brigade mobile game, which is from a 1stPD producer as well. Neither game is internal. The 3rd Birthday was also considered a 1stPD game (in fact, the 1stPD Twitter account is just a renamed T3B Twitter account), but it was programmed by Hexadrive.

Oh, that's a really useless moniker then. I'll edit the "internal" part of my post out.

Seik

Banned
I don't get it...

I meant it in a way it won't be a so-so outsourced remake, because I totally want this, FFX is one of my favorites FF unlike for many and I want it to be done the right way. It came out wrong for this circumstances, I admit. :(

So it is really a remake? I was still thinking it was just a ps2 HD port.

Pooya

http://andriasang.com/comzoe/nomura_famitsu_interview/
andriasang said:
Square Enix won't be holding an event ala last year's January press conference this year. However, Nomura said that he'd like to make some sort Versus related announcement/showing this year, although he can't say when or where.The next time we see Versus XIII, we will get a look at it being controlled on actual hardware.
this doesn't sound like the game is coming this year to me, dunno.

Seda

If it was simply an HD port, I'd doubt the first production department would be the primary handler.

There's gotta be more to it, right?

okay that clarifies a bit.

duckroll

I thought Theatrhythm was developed by indieszero?

It is. That doesn't mean it's not a 1stPD game.

If it was simply an HD port, I'd doubt the first production department would be the primary handler.

There's gotta be more to it, right?

Kojima Productions was personally in charge of the MGS Collection as well, even though Blue Point developed MGS2 and MGS3. It was all supervised by KojiPro. They are also supervising the ZoE HD Collection. Team ICO and Ueda supervised the Ico Collection too, requesting certain specific improvements. Not surprising at all.

sn00zer

Why the fuck is versus not in their first department....looks like the first real innovation from square in a while

apana

So this is a full remake? Just wondering from tech experts, do you guys think there will have to be any compromises in order to get it working on PS Vita as well as PS3?

You don't know how much of a remake it is though. They've never said. It could very well end up like the ICO Collection or the MGS Collection.

they're stalling and trying to make it sound like they are beginning work on some magnificent endeavor. like a magician that lost his bunny and is trying to kill some time by rambling on about how for his next trick he'll need everyone to blah blah blah.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Honestly, I'm expecting an HD port. If it's a remake, I'll be pleasantly surprised and will love this game. Otherwise, not expecting much.

Thoraxes

So this is a full remake? Just wondering from tech experts, do you guys think there will have to be any compromises in order to get it working on PS Vita as well as PS3?

Nobody knows if it's an upscale, a port, or a remake. Some have been saying re-release, HD master, etc.

There are zero details on what exactly it is, and for what they've said, how much that term applies to any of the aspects of the game when they make the HD version of it and the lower resolution (960 x 544) version Vita version.

duckroll

they're stalling and trying to make it sound like they are beginning work on some magnificent endeavor. like a magician that lost his bunny and is trying to kill some time by rambling on about how for his next trick he'll need everyone to blah blah blah.

They're not stalling at all. You just think it's a bigger deal than it is because someone made a thread about it on NeoGAF. This was just a one line signing off comment at the end of a longer interview in the magazine which mostly talks about KH3D and VersusXIII. There is no implication of a "magnificent endeavor" here, other than the imagined one you have.

Reveirg

I wish they'd at least tell us if it was a remake or a remaster. =/
XIII-2's announcement/hype campaign time frame was perfect, but it looks like S-E still hasn't learned anything...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm guessing there's a mix of remake and porting here. Aren't some FFX backdrops pre-rendered? I guess they're remaking those parts.

Jharp

I vaguely recall hearing about a Final Fantasy collection that would collect X and XII in HD.

Was this a rumor, or is XII going to get an update? I only ever put about ten hours into it, but I loved it to death and for whatever reason never went back into it. I'd be willing to, but if an HD version is coming out, I'll wait. Plus there's the chance that they'll include all the International Version stuff that is so well-revered.

Thoraxes

I vaguely recall hearing about a Final Fantasy collection that would collect X and XII in HD.

Was this a rumor, or is XII going to get an update? I only ever put about ten hours into it, but I loved it to death and for whatever reason never went back into it. I'd be willing to, but if an HD version is coming out, I'll wait. Plus there's the chance that they'll include all the International Version stuff that is so well-revered.

Rumor, but FFX HD did get confirmed in some capacity at a press conference last year. Zero things have been said at all about XII, and I doubt it will happen any time soon. I'd just play XII now.

Remake or port, being able to play this on my Vita is something I can't pass up. I just hope they at least use the international version. >.>

Wait, when it was announced I thought it was "well into" development?

when SE announces games these days I just go ahead and assume it's the very same day they come up with the idea.

and here's a quote from an interview from 2d-x.com about XIIIVersus that made me lol

“It’s definitely coming, not to worry,” said a member of the testing team, “I get e-mails about it every now and then that definitely tells me it’s coming to America. It might be a few years, but it’ll be worth the wait.”

duckroll

I'm guessing there's a mix of remake and porting here. Aren't some FFX backdrops pre-rendered? I guess they're remaking those parts.

I agree with this assessment. I think it is likely that they're doing a HD port, but they will also try to ensure that it is as high quality as possible. Which means they will have to remaster the FMVs and other pre-rendered elements, probably improve all the textures, and make the game true widescreen. It'll probably have a higher budget than normal, but they'll also be selling one game for full price probably.

Top Bottom