• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You May Be Undercore If...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might be (A weird, strange, crazy type of gamer Such AS ARPHARMD B AND HIS MATES) if…

You recently bought a PS3 for one game: House of The Dead 4, and you have zero interest in any of the Western exclusives.

You listen to Ducktales : The Moon when you are feeling depressed. And you cry a little.

On a day off from work, your perfect morning consists of: A cup of coffee, a cigarette, and a Cave STG.

Your idea of bedroom conversation is talkiing about the brilliant level design of Bangai-O HD.

You consider 1CC'ing the original House of the Dead arcade, on hard, in front of 3 other 14 year olds, in 1998, to be the crowning achievement of your life.

You know what 1CC stands for.

You are still more impressed with Sega Super GT running on Model 3 hardware than you are the Samaritan demo.

Sega Saturn Shiro is your one and only oldschool karate hero. Chuck Norris who?

You have gone through 4 or 5 360’s due to RROD, and stuck with the system because it’s the only place to play Virtua Fighter 5 ver. C, Deathsmiles, and Virtual On Oratorio Tangram.

You not only know what Virtual On Oratorio Tangram is, but you know how to spell it.

You listen to NES Megaman music in your car, and totally rock out to the breakdowns in TopMan’s stage.

Again, tears may follow, depending on mood. You consider Megaman music to be superior to most if not all of the rock music released in the 2000’s.

More to come. Add your own. It’s fun.

Desiato

This is almost as bad as the "you're an '80s kid/ '90s kid if..." bullshit that pollutes my Facebook feed every now and then.

... What does 'undercore' mean? Is it a more EXTREME version of hardcore?

No. Undercore is Deadsy's genre in music.

Me and my friends were trying to determine where we fit, via the usual "labels". Hardcore, Underground, Casual. I just thought we were like Deadsy, not fitting into the usual labels at all, so I thought we'll just coin our own term (IE steal from Deadsy) and call us that.

So this is what it means to be undercore.

For the record though I think Labels are really, really lame and don't use them. But I didn't know what else to say. You may be *blank* kind of gamer if... Oldschool? Hardcore? Casual? Whatever. You may be an "oldschool" gamer if you speedrun SMB3. Etc. Get what I'm saying.

I searched urban dictionary in hopes of finding out what "undercore" means, but this was the only definition-
The musical genre practiced by the band Deadsy. Elijah describes the band's low and dissonant style as Undercore. Elijah's low baritone singing style, down-tuned guitars, Dr. Nner's synths and Carlton's Z-tar give the music an almost surreal quality. Deadsy's sound is often compared to Gary Numan. Undercore is often described as having elements of Industrial, Goth Rock, New Wave, Death Metal, Post Punk, and Synth Pop.

I don't think that's what the OP meant, but maybe it was..?

Which Reddit thread is this from? Did it do better there?

What does undercore mean?

I have no idea what undercore means.

I just made it up. Sort of. I've given it a meaning in the gaming world. That's the point. There was no such thing as an undercore gamer until I made the thread. We existed, yes, but we didn't have a name to call it. Now we do.

And if people don't like the name well. That's fine. I hope some people get what I was trying to do. As usual gaffers are too negative and have no souls.

Danielsan

What the hell is undercore?

I just made it up. Sort of. I've given it a meaning in the gaming world. That's the point. There was no such thing as an undercore gamer until I made the thread. We existed, yes, but we didn't have a name to call it. Now we do.

And if people don't like the name well. That's fine. I hope some people get what I was trying to do. As usual gaffers are too negative and have no souls.
Not really. GAF is simply allergic to bullshit.

stilgar

Me and my friends were trying to determine where we fit, via the usual "labels". Hardcore, Underground, Casual. I just thought we were like Deadsy, not fitting into the usual labels at all, so I thought we'll just coin our own term (IE steal from Deadsy) and call us that.

For the record though I think Labels are really, really lame and don't use them. But I didn't know what else to say. You may be *blank* kind of gamer if... Oldschool? Hardcore? Casual? Whatever. You may be an "oldschool" gamer if you speedrun SMB3. Etc. Get what I'm saying.

Man, there's no easy way to say it, but you're not a very good seller.

mclem

It appears from the definitions above that "undercore" means "believes they're more hardcore than the hardcore" and - crucially "cares about that fact".

It also appears to critically require "Was born in 1984". Which strikes me as somewhat limiting.

Grampasso

Difficult to get if the point of the thread is related to a term you coined and nobody else knows it...
BTW I suppose knowing where your nickname come from authomatically makes me Undercore. And I'm italian, so I know how to spell "Oratorio" since it's an italian word :D

stilgar

crabcore.gif

I searched urban dictionary in hopes of finding out what "undercore" means, but this was the only definition-

I don't think that's what the OP meant, but maybe it was..?

Yes this is the genre that Deadsy coined.

Just like Hardcore has a meaning for music, as well as a totally different meaning for gaming, I decided to use Undercore to describe certain gamers. Like I said, I don't know how else to classify us.

Me and my best friend had a big conversation about this. We were like, how do you describe gamers like us? Like, who buys a PS3 for House of the Dead 4 and ignores Uncharted? We are freaks. We need a term to describe us.

I don't think you thought this through.

Everyones freaking out over "undercore" and no one get's what I was trying to do.

Forget "Undercore". Here let me try to fix this...

zroid

Banned
Everyones freaking out over "undercore" and no one get's what I was trying to do.

Forget "Undercore". Here let me try to fix this...

Oh I think people get it, mostly. But flippancy is more fun on NeoGAF.

and, FYI: to me, 1CC means a 1-CC A-Arte from Graces ;)

butts

I answer NO to all of the above, have no idea what undercore is, and don't know who the fuck Deadsy is. I feel like I win.

Xanathus

Undercore, more like THUNDERCORE yeah am I right?

edit: what's up with the post in your tag, OP? The linked post doesn't make any sense with your tag or you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom