• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice presentation in English. (Vita x Inafune)

ReaperXL7

New stuff, new thread. The full Soul Sacrifice presentation has been posted in english, Enjoy.

General Information:

Production Planning: Comcept (Keiji Inafune)
Development: Marvelous AQL
Producion: SCE Japan Studio
Producer: Kentarou Motomura
Assistant Producer: Teruyuki Toriyama
Music: Yasunori Mitsuda, Wataru Hokoyama

SS Site (also in english):
http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/soulsacrifice/ja/

soul_sacrifice_charas_thumb.jpg

The big catch for Keiji Inafune's PlayStation Vita action title Soul Sacrifice is not the "soul," as many had initially expected, but the "sacrifice." As detailed earlier in the day, Soul Sacrifice has you sacrifice body parts to perform powerful magic.

Why would you torture yourself to kill your foes? This is actually part of the background story. You play as a slave who serves a cruel sorcerer.

It appears that you may be fighting people like yourself. Screenshots show massive creatures who apparently used their powerful magic too much and lost their human form.

As detailed earlier, the main character is someone who was raised by a cruel sorcerer. Just as the main character is about to be given as a sacrificial offering, a special book appears before him. This book is a demon in book form. It contains the records of past fights between the sorcerer and monsters.

The player enters the world of the book and experiences the stories and fights depicted therein.

The full Soul Sacrifice presentation in english:

ibnj2RNqMjfpxg.gif

iS2qYKGj0blYf.gif

(Gifs thanks to Mitark)

Hope this comes to the west soon after release.

Dont want it to be in limbo like demons souls was.

Vita could use a interesting game like this.

Man, I hope this makes it over. It's good to see that Inafune is rocking an action game on the Vita. I really need to get one of those.

Kaizer

Banned
I'm glad to see all the love english speakers are getting for this game. It's pretty much guranteed to come over to the states at this point.

Fredrik

Looks awesome!
Four player co-op looked really neat too. And it's possible to play ofline all alone too right?

Tratorn

This game looks super cool, especially the MP. :)
I hope for a lot of content (monsters, skills etc.) and a worldwide release.

Looks awesome!
Four player co-op looked really neat too. And it's possible to play ofline all alone too right?

Yes. ;)

Globox_82

Banned
I hate handheld gaming but Gravity Rush and SoulS look really really cool.
If there is at least one or two more games at E3 that I find interesting as these two, I might be forced to get a Vita. But not before some price adjustments. I am not giving 100 bucks for memory or whatever was it.

EDIT:So what do gafers think of Sony having Inafune working on SCE published game? It's kinda big?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
My feelings while watching the presentation:

Presentation - Part 1
meh... This looks a bit boring.
(Wait - is that the third translator in 12 minutes?)

Presentation - Part 2
But the music is good.

Presentation - Part 3
Okay this stuff is very cool.

I think seeing that there are way more powers than the ones demonstrated in the first video and the support of several playstyles made me interested.
Also the ability to sacrifice yourself and others is great.

I think this is something that isn't automatically wasted as others have said in the other thread because gamers are not altruistic. But when I played MMOs and I could pull a mob of someone I would do that, even if it meant dying.

Ratrat

Do the videos show how large the environments are? I'd be disappointed if they weren't at least up to Monster Hunters maps.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Do the videos show how large the environments are? I'd be disappointed if they weren't at least up to Monster Hunters maps.
The environment in the presentation are very small. The first portion of the demo seems to be the same area as the last portion of the demo and seems to be funneling you to the end boss.

KAL2006

Banned
Gravity Rush
Soul Sacrifice
LitteBigPlanet
Uncharted Golden Abyss
SFxT (port)
Dragons Crown (port)
Rayman Origins (port)
BlazBlue (port)
UMvC3 (port)
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (port)

The list of Vita games I want is slowly growing, however I need there are only 4 original games that I want for the system. I don't mind the ports especially ones that allow cross play (SFxT), but ports don't pull me in as much as original games. Hopefully E3 will have a ton of games for Vita.

3 or 4 more original high calibre IPs from Sony Japan and a few from the Western studios, and I'll be happy with their output. This is a step in the right direction

How does Infanune's company work? Is it essentially like Mistwalker who create the concept and then co-develop with another partner?

kuroshiki

Wow. Impressive graphics for 1st gen title. It seems like game is more than half finished already. That's FAST.

I'm more than willing to bite. now.

This and Ragnarok Odyssey, Gravity Daze will satisfy my vita for quite a long time. Nice.

AAK

Looking at the concept it could be pretty cool. My mind is racing with potential ideas. They could make unique weopons for every organ or style of bone you sacrifice.

Spine = Whip
Rib Cage = Net
Femur+Pelvis = Mallet or Even sculptured as a scythe
Carpels = Bullets
Humerous = Battle Club
Jaw = Brass Knuckles

And when you sacrific your organs the effects they have are in context with the function of the organ itself. I.e. if you sacrifice your stomach, your attacks get acidic properties further corroding your enemies even after they've been hit.

Another interesting thing would be to differentiate between the male and female template. The female could extract her uterus which becomes like a hive which spawns your own minions. The male version would send it's own projectiles to nearby enemies to corrupt them into your side by impregnating them.

Or maybe I have the scope of this game all wrong.

kuroshiki

Gravity Rush
Soul Sacrifice
LitteBigPlanet
Uncharted Golden Abyss
SFxT (port)
Dragons Crown (port)
Rayman Origins (port)
BlazBlue (port)
UMvC3 (port)
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (port)

The list of Vita games I want is slowly growing, however I need there are only 4 original games that I want for the system. I don't mind the ports especially ones that allow cross play (SFxT), but ports don't pull me in as much as original games. Hopefully E3 will have a ton of games for Vita.

If anything Dragons Crown is not a port. and you forgot to mention Ragnarok Odyssey.

KAL2006

Banned
If anything Dragons Crown is not a port. and you forgot to mention Ragnarok Odyssey.

Well games that you can get on other systems are not as big of a deal as exclusive games. Dragons Crown is also coming to PS3. Of course I am not complaining, I love ports, that is why I listed games like Rayman, as I prefer to play games like that on a handheld, however all I am saying is that the exclusive games are usually what the system sellers are.

Looking at the concept it could be pretty cool. My mind is racing with potential ideas. They could make unique weopons for every organ or style of bone you sacrifice.

Spine = Whip
Rib Cage = Net
Femur+Pelvis = Mallet or Even sculptured as a scythe
Carpels = Bullets
Humerous = Battle Club
Jaw = Brass Knuckles

And when you sacrific your organs the effects they have are in context with the function of the organ itself. I.e. if you sacrifice your stomach, your attacks get acidic properties further corroding your enemies even after they've been hit.

Another interesting thing would be to differentiate between the male and female template. The female could extract her uterus which becomes like a hive which spawns your own minions. The male version would send it's own projectiles to nearby enemies to corrupt them into your side by impregnating them.

Or maybe I have the scope of this game all wrong.

it won't go that far. the Excalibur spine sword is basically a suicide move, your character died after he used excalibur. I doubt we'll have too many suicide move like that because it's not gonna be a move you see often in match. even the demo video didn't show them using Excalibur and I'm not sure if I want them to focus too much on suicide moves. rather have them spent more time fleshing out the normal magic attack and make it really varied.

Thoraxes

Finally a game made for the system with the actual system in mind.

If only more people can do this for the Vita, it'd be nice.

Pikma

Banned
Wow, things are looking better now, huh?
I swear it's almost as if the Vita were convincing me to buy it.

Well games that you can get on other systems are not as big of a deal as exclusive games. Dragons Crown is also coming to PS3. Of course I am not complaining, I love ports, that is why I listed games like Rayman, as I prefer to play games like that on a handheld, however all I am saying is that the exclusive games are usually what the system sellers are.

whether it's a port or not really shouldn't matter imo, especially for a day one multiplatform release like Dragon's Crown. I can understand being not too excited for rayman or mgs collection port because you may already have other version. but for Dragon's Crown, if you actually prefer handheld version, than that totally count as your system seller imo. or how about games like good people die, and time traveler, which is multiplatform with 3DS, but I'll definitely buy it on Vita, so imo, that count as my system seller.

ReaperXL7

This game is easily going to be a big deal for me personally, always been a fan of Inafune and I think this has a solid chance of being great if they do things right. The premise sounds really unique, and some of the mechanics seem really interesting. I am curious as to what the Japanese reaction to the reveal has been, it seems like most of the people I know here in the states that have seen the videos thinks Soul Sacrifice looks really cool so far.

It also just makes me wonder what else Sony has up their sleeve, because I was not expecting something like this to be coming out of Studio Japan in all honesty. If they expect to sell 10 million Vitas it makes me think that they have some big announcements coming up, but who knows. Keep bringing games like this and i'll be happy.

This game looks so awesome. Massive, massive potential. I hope Sony handles it correctly globally. This could finally be the game that encourages the Monster Hunter formula to "make sense" on a global basis.

Simultaneous worldwide release please.

Top Bottom