• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gungnir |OT| The War to End All Wars

Volcynika

jIzUV.gif

h20v3.png

In a land ravaged by disparity where the impoverished must battle for survival, the fate of all is thrust into uncertainty when rebels happen upon custody of a young female noble and a magical spear of immeasurable power falls from the heavens.

Now, hunted by incumbent powers desperate to reclaim the girl and armed with a weapon capable of reshaping the realm, the Resistance must wage war to deliver themselves from the tyranny of their oppressors.

uShVV.png

• Platform -- PlayStation Portable (UMD/PSN) (144 MB space required for PSN)
  • Genre -- Strategy RPG
  • Release Date -- June 12, 2012
  • Publisher -- Atlus USA
  • Developer -- Sting
  • Website -- Official Gungnir Website
  • ESRB -- T for Teen
  • MSRP -- $29.99

yrqPX.jpg

ACsJw.png

• A UNIQUE POLITICAL DRAMA SET IN A CAPTIVATING FANTASY WORLD
    Dealing with societal inequity and racial prejudice, far heavier themes than the average video game, Gungnir’s intense narrative offers gamers a world worth saving and characters deserving of empathy and attention.
  • DEEP RISK/REWARD BATTLE MECHANICS
    Building upon the traditional action queue of turn‐based SRPGs, actions in Gungnir all have a numerical wait interval associated with them. Faster actions bear smaller numbers, allowing them to precede slower preexisting attacks. Should the player wish, they may sacrifice tactical points, which afford them more combat options, in order to accelerate actions.
  • FROM THE MAKERS OF KNIGHTS IN THE NIGHTMARE AND RIVIERA
    Developer Sting has a proud, extensive history of expertly crafted, highly innovative RPGs, having garnered critical acclaim and fan admiration with classics like Riviera, Yggdra Union, and Knights in the Nightmare.

abSBE.png

uCToA.png

Opening Movie
Launch Trailer

LG33X.png

graywolf323

I'm on the fence about grabbing it at launch

haven't finished playing through the previous games and the reviews haven't been overly positive

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Honestly had no idea this game was coming out on Tuesday.

Going to bet it's not Vita compatible for like 2 months. Shrug.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I had no idea this was coming out so soon. I also have no idea if it's any good. If it is, I'll buy it. But uh... I dunno. It looks like it's for weeaboos. And not weeaboos like me. I mean weeaboos like the OP.

Real nut cases.

j/k, Volc. Kind of.

Volcynika

Well it seems to be a good thing I didn't wait till after the weekend to post the thread! Half the people didn't know it was out so soon. :p

Zierath

I'm not sure if I want to get this. I really didn't like Yggdra Union much at all. Loved the other two Dept. Heaven games though.

johnsmith

remember me
I really wish there had been an artbook. I really liked the Knights in the Nightmare one, and it would have really pushed me over the edge on deciding to buy it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Had this preordered since it went up on Amazon, but I had no idea it was about to launch! :eek:

boingball

What is it with Atlus games not being shipped by Amazon to non-US addresses? I prefer a UMD version, but I might have to buy it on the PSN store.

Well, at least this is coming out. Not ending like Grand Knights History.

Riposte

Although it doesn't soar above Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, the twin peaks of tactical RPG excellence

Welp, why did I bother attempting to read one of the reviews? lol

Looking forward to Growlanser but I'm still deciding whether to pick this one up or not. I may get it just because my PSP is starving for new games.

Is this more like Yggdra Union or Knights in the Nightmare? I like Sting games but they are really complicated with a big learning curve.

cj_iwakura

Looking forward to Growlanser but I'm still deciding whether to pick this one up or not. I may get it just because my PSP is starving for new games.

Is this more like Yggdra Union or Knights in the Nightmare? I like Sting games but they are really complicated with a big learning curve.

Looks like a traditional grid-based SRPG, far as I can tell.

Eusis

I reconsidered and think I'll wait at least until it's out. Next week is an embarrassment of riches for those who aren't only after the latest AAA games, plus maybe this really will be on the Vita day one rather than SCEA sleeping at the wheel and forgetting there's new PSP games that should be available.

frequency

I reconsidered and think I'll wait at least until it's out. Next week is an embarrassment of riches for those who aren't only after the latest AAA games, plus maybe this really will be on the Vita day one rather than SCEA sleeping at the wheel and forgetting there's new PSP games that should be available.

Hmm? What's all releasing next week?

Aru

Reviews are pretty average but I loved Yggdra Union and Knights in the Nightmare. So I hope I'll love this one too.

Eusis

MGS Vita
Lolipop Chainsaw
Gravity Rush
Pikmin 2 as well, a Sunday release admittedly. The week afterwards is pretty crazy too actually, with Pokemon Conquest and a bunch of others that escape my mind currently.

I can't believe they changed the intro music
Changed? You mean reverted. That's an old intro. :)

As for the game, I loved Riviera and KitN, and YU had its moments despite having some real problems, so I'm certainly very interested in Gungnir too. It is somewhat disappointing that it sounds so much less unique and so much more of a generic FFT/TO style game, which does decrease my interest in it a bit, but I'll surely get it eventually, anyway. I'm not sure if I"ll be buying it new, though, like I did for the three previous games... (Well, I don't have the PSP version of Riviera, but I have the other US releases on GBA/DS/PSP, and I think I did get them all new.)

I want to do everything in my power to ensure Eternal Punishment is released, but I don't really like Sting games. Any game released on a long dead system has the potential to become rare and valuable, but there are so many other games coming out that I actually want to play. I'm feeling very conflicted right now.

TGMIII

Been looking forward to this for a while along with grand knights history, but localization for that got canceled :(

frequency

MGS Vita
Lolipop Chainsaw
Gravity Rush

Thank you. I can't believe I never started my Japanese copy of Gravity Rush. I'm so terrible with money...

Also... I totally didn't recognize you with the new avatar.
We don't talk enough anymore (・。・;

I can't believe I never started my Japanese copy of Gravity Rush. I'm so terrible with money...

WHAT ARE YOU DOING I DON'T EVEN O*NUDFNPKNLSKCHB LHS CLS

*Ahem*

I actually never got around to grabbing Gungnir. Might as well DL the localized version and see if it's any good. Department Heaven stuff tends to be an acquired taste, but they do good work.

Nice job on the OT Volc. <3

frequency

WHAT ARE YOU DOING I DON'T EVEN O*NUDFNPKNLSKCHB LHS CLS

*Ahem*

I know. I'm terrible.
I kept putting it off (well... the Vita in general - still sitting on Good People Die and Disgaea too).
I got distracted playing through the Atelier "Of Arland" series and Tales of Graces f localized.

Teknoman

Man...I hope its compatible. I want to stop buying UMD games and start moving to Vita...I mean i've still got a small backlog on PSP, and the system isnt going anywhere, but i'd like to see the rest of the games on that vibrant screen.

Eusis

I'll definitely just get on UMD if they can't be bothered. I'm willing to sacrifice physical if meant getting to play on the Vita ASAP, but what's the point if Sony can't give a fuck? Plus I know Atlus will put a decent amount of effort into packaging, if this were released by a company that was completely phoning it in I'd not even hesitate unless it simply wasn't on PSN.

Top Bottom