• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Symphony: Music from Final Fantasy VI, VII and X (May 2013)

Aku-Audi

u2yfHIm.jpg

www.ffsymphony.com
Stadthalle Wuppertal Website

iDl3y8UpdabCl.png

- May 11th, 2013, 2:30 PM and 7:30 PM. (Germany) / May 30th, 2013. (London)
- All new arrangements by Jonne Valtonen, Roger Wanamo and Masashi Hamauzu.
- To be performed by the 80 piece Sinfonieorchester Wuppertal and 90 piece London Symphony Orchestra. Piano soloist is Benyamin Nuss.
- Will feature elaborate and sophisticated suites with music from Final Fantasy VI, VII and X.
- 10th year anniversary concert for Böcker's Merregnon Studios.
- In cooperation with Square Enix and Nobuo Uematsu.
- Free Meet and Greet prior to concert with Masashi Hamauzu and Nobuo Uematsu.

ibnEdnTIS1xnHS.png

Stadthalle Wuppertal, Germany

i5rb8rB0PMLcG.png

]

ibsWBqu1cjrADs.png

WestTicket.de - €22 plus booking fees ($27) (Tickets go on sale August 24th)
Barbican Hall - £35-60 (Tickets on sale November 24th)

ibgEo58TKOQZiC.png

Conductor: Eckehard Stier
Soloist: Benyamin Nuss
Host: Winfried Fechner (Wuppertal)
Orchestra: Sinfonieorchester Wuppertal / London Symhony Orchestra
Consultant: Nobuo Uematsu
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu, Masashi Hamauzu
Arranger: Jonne Valtonen, Roger Wanamo, Masashi Hamauzu

Executive Producer: Thomas Böcker

irPpg6s33kMfP.png

Interview with Masashi Hamauzu at JPGames (German) (English Translation)
Interview with Thomas Böcker at JPGames (German) (English Translation)
Interview with Nobuo Uematsu at 4Players (German) (English Translation)
Interview with Thomas Böcker at OSV (English)

ifJAaKL8gSODU.png

ii7BMvxJ7STQN.png
ii7BMvxJ7STQN.png

ii7BMvxJ7STQN.png
ii7BMvxJ7STQN.png

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
One of my dreams is to play in a European orchestra. <3

I guarantee the Hamauzu arrangment(s) will be amazing, much like the Donkey Kong Country one. Lack of Final Fantasy IX, though.

VI, VII, and VIII have the best music, with IV coming in a close fourth. Would have liked to see VIII get more love but alas. Not like I'll be actually able to go see this anyway.

Aku-Audi

A portion of Hamauzu's interview at JpGames

JPGAMES.DE: What is your relationship with Thomas Böcker, the man who has brought video game music concerts to Europe and now producing Final Symphony?

Masashi Hamauzu: I met Thomas Böcker for the first time in 2007 in Munich. He was the coordinator of the recording of my album "Vielen Dank". Later, in 2010, I became a freelancer. Thomas Böcker was the first person to contact me and asked if I would arrange for him - it was the music from "Donkey Kong Country" (Symphonic Legends.

Since then, I've created five arrangements for him. I trust him very much, because he he supports creativity in composers, arrangers, encouraging them to go to their limits and to give everything. I am very happy to work with him again.

JPGAMES.DE: You are credited both as a composer and arranger for Final Symphony. Why this "double-work"? How does it feel to arrange your self composed works?

Masashi Hamauzu: I guess the reason is that Thomas Böcker trusts me as a composer and arranger. It means alot to me being able to realize my own compositions, as I always strive for perfection. It is a big motivation for me.

JPGAMES.DE: Final Fantasy XIII-2 was the last major title on which you have worked on. Can you tell us a bit about your future plans in video game music?

Masashi Hamauzu: Lately, I haven't composed video game music but I've broken into new fields. Of course, I will write game music in the future if I get an attractive offer. What will never change is that I would like to compose pieces that I feel a connection to. Music, that I myself would like to compose.

JPGAMES.DE: You worked on the Final Fantasy X soundtrack together with Nobuo Uematsu. Now you come together again for Final Symphony. Are you looking forward to reuniting?

Masashi Hamauzu: Naturally, without a doubt. After all, we worked together for a long time in the past. We both will use this to develop and grow.

JPGAMES.DE: From August 31 to September 2, the Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary takes place. How do you feel to be part of such a huge and successful series? And also have a special role at the event? Will we finally get some new details on Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga: New Developments Presentation?

Masashi Hamauzu: It was always my dream to compose music for huge series such as Final Fantasy. In this respect, I am of course overjoyed that I got this opportunity. I still cannot believe my luck! In regard to the event - I am not sure, could be.

http://jpgames.de/2012/08/final-symphony-masashi-hamauzu-im-interview/

Celegus

Would love love love an album of this. I can't get enough live orchestrated FF music.

Does anyone know if Eyes on Me has ever been on one of the live albums? It was amazing when I heard it in person, but I've never seen it on any of the collections.

Arren

I really hope I'll be able to attend this concert, as Hamauzu is my favourite artist as far as VGM is concerned.

This year I've been to the Symphonic Fantasies "2012 version" in Cologne and it was an experience so moving and intense that it's really hard to convey its brilliance with words.

Wanamo and Valtonen have proved their mastery enough to guarantee that Final Symphony will evoke the same exact emotions, if not even more.

Aku-Audi

I really hope I'll be able to attend this concert, as Hamauzu is my favourite artist as far as VGM is concerned.

This year I've been to the Symphonic Fantasies "2012 version" in Cologne and it was an experience so moving and intense that it's really hard to convey its brilliance with words.

Wanamo and Valtonen have proved their mastery enough to guarantee that Final Symphony will evoke the same exact emotions, if not even more.

Very well said. I been to their shows since Shades and the impact it has had on me, personally and professionally, is almost impossible to express in words. So hopefully all who can travel to Germany next year, grab the chance, it is unlike any other concert experience, yet rooted deeply in a classical setting as opposed to video screens and loud crowd interaction.

Famassu

So...anyone from Germany want to buy me a ticket? I think I can manage one trip to Germany from Finland for this, since I got knowledge of this so much in advance. I can save up some munnyh for the trip in this time.

Btw, any guesses how much the tickets will cost?

Aku-Audi

So...anyone from Germany want to buy me a ticket? I think I can manage one trip to Germany from Finland for this, since I got knowledge of this so much in advance. I can save up some munnyh for the trip in this time.

Btw, any guesses how much the tickets will cost?

Tickets costs &#8364;22 ($27)+booking fees, forgot to add to the OP.

Arren

I am an amateur composer / musician myself, but I can say just as firmly that the depth of these arrangements, and especially the way in which all this already gripping and nostalgic music was reshaped in accordance to the european classical tradition, has really affected my own musical work.

No offense intended to american shows such as Distant Worlds or even Symphony of the Goddess which I actually appreciate a lot, but as Aku-Audi said it's presented as a totally different experience.

It's first and foremost a classical concert and, only secondarily, a videogame-related event.

Prevailer

Symphonic Fantasies was sold out in about 24 hours. In cologne there are 2.000 seats. In Wuppertal, Stadthalle there are about 1.400 seats. So yes, possibly sold out fast! :)

Famassu

Hmm, so even if I could buy a ticket, could one of you German-GAFfers still buy a ticket for me, since you're probably better (as in, faster) going through the ordering process. I can pay in advance (& give you a bit of extra).

I just want to make sure I get a ticket, would hate not to get one just because of fumbling through the site too slowly. ;__;

Aku-Audi

Is there a Symphonic Fantasies type concert this year?

There is a smaller concert in Cologne during November called Soundtrack Cologne: East Meets West by the same team that will feature reprises from the previous concerts as well as all new arrangements from Turrican, Journey etc.

Soundtrack Cologne

Jonne Valtonen as in Purple Motion from the Future Crew!?

I am not an atomic playboy.

Indeed the very same. In fact if you see him, pinch him on the butt and tell him Audi told you to do it. I want it to become a worldwide phenomenon.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Now if only a professional orchestra would do the ending medley from FFVI. I know there's that amateur one floating around out there, but I'd like to see pros tackling it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am an amateur composer / musician myself, but I can say just as firmly that the depth of these arrangements, and especially the way in which all this already gripping and nostalgic music was reshaped in accordance to the european classical tradition, has really affected my own musical work.

No offense intended to american shows such as Distant Worlds or even Symphony of the Goddess which I actually appreciate a lot, but as Aku-Audi said it's presented as a totally different experience.

It's first and foremost a classical concert and, only secondarily, a videogame-related event.

As someone with no war for music at all and very little knowledge of classical canon, even I can tell that most of the North American VG concerts have very pedestrian, unsophisticated arrangements in part because they are events for video game fans rather than classical events.

I think it benefits everyone to have deep, substantial, challenging concert events. So hopefully this one is good and has a recording made available.

zeioIIDX

VI, VII, and X?! Wow, nice :) Would love to go, I've only been to Dear Friends back in 2005 in Chicago. Was awesome as hell, was not expecting Nobuo Uematsu to show up and sit in the front row either (they showed him on the projector walking in and waving to a huge crowd of applause). He was literally right below where I was seated. Anyway, VI and VII have my favorite music in the series for sure.

Aku-Audi

I added some information on Merregnon Studios's other concerts in the OP

ii7BMvxJ7STQN.png
ii7BMvxJ7STQN.png

ii7BMvxJ7STQN.png
ii7BMvxJ7STQN.png

The ending to Chrono Trigger/Cross at Symphonic Fantasies, where the main themes from each game are crossed and intertwined, is one of the greatest moments ever captured for a video game concerts.

A Fleeting Dream had nearly 2000 people crying during the live performance, it's an incredibly powerful arrangement, which even made a strong impression on me despite never having played the FFX (I fell off the RPG wagon around FFVI)

Aku-Audi

How is Merregnon Studios connected to those old Merregnon albums from the early 2000's?

You mean the ones with Yuzo Koshiro, Chris Hülsbeck, etc?

Thomas Böcker (Merregnon Studios director) directed that album, using famous video game composers to write all new original music to tell a story entirely through music. Sort of the starting ground for him to acquire talent and start the Symphonic Game Music Concert series

jett

D-Member
You mean the ones with Yuzo Koshiro, Chris Hülsbeck, etc?

Thomas Böcker (Merregnon Studios director) directed that album, using famous video game composers to write all new original music to tell a story entirely through music. Sort of the starting ground for him to acquire talent and start the Symphonic Game Music Concert series

Oh cool. I've always liked Merregnon, didn't know same guy behind that was behind these concerts.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Very nice. Was wondering when they would announce the next one, since they did a repeat of Symphonic Fantasies this year.

I hope Wanamo does several arrangements. His stuff is the best. I still get goosebumps when I listen to his arrangement for A Fleeting Dream from last year.

Aku-Audi

Official press from the producer:

Masashi Hamauzu comes to Final Symphony!

The composer will participate with the two concerts in Wuppertal, Germany on May 11th, 2013 (Saturday). Fans of Masashi Hamauzu have the opportunity to meet him before the events in two free signings.

Tickets for the German premiere of Final Symphony are on sale 24th August (Friday) on www.westticket.de starting at 22 EUR (plus service fees). The sale will start 10 AM. (German Local Time)

395823_10151166429606449_1286287130_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/spielemusikkonzerte

aceface

Yeah, Distant Worlds is great and all, but the arrangements are pretty pedestrian and get boring after awhile. Is it possible to get the cd's of these concerts in the US?

Edit: After clicking around those links it seems like the answer is yes!

Top Bottom