• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta |OT|

Aeana

i2ZkkHURG4Icc.png

Title: Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta
Developer: Nihon Falcom
Platform: Vita
Genre: Action RPG
Release: September 27, 2012 (Japan)

sA1EH.gif
jr3Vw.gif

The 25th Anniversary Pack includes a drama CD, Ys Music Collection CD (select songs from the series, including new FM and orchestra arrangements), Ys world map cloth cleaner, and Ys Heroine Calendar.

ivaBoTvIBPlLu.png

Kasnan, a town on the Romun frontier caught in the grip of a gold rush. Amid the miners and laborers, a red-haired young man walks in a daze, buffeted by the men streaming around him.

Where is this?

Who am I?

As he mutters to himself, a voice calls out to him.

Hey, Adol, it's you isn't it?!

A giant of a man with silver hair approaches the redhead but the youth does not recognize him. The overly familiar man addressing him calls himself Duren and claims to be an information broker.

Duren tells a tale. If it is to be believed, the redhead's name is Adol Christin. Several weeks ago Duren saw him off from this very town as he set out for Celceta's great forest, an area few locals ever set foot in. Until today nobody in town had any idea what happened to Adol and believed him lost in the Sea of Trees.

Demon territory. The forbidden land. The Sea of Trees is called both of these things. What happened to Adol in the forest only the bravest dare enter? What caused him to lose all his memories? In order to learn the truth, Adol and Duren are determined to dive once more into the depths of the Sea of Trees...

(Credit to Guruda for the translation)

Back in 1993, two versions of Ys 4 came out: Mask of the Sun for Super Famicom and Dawn of Ys for PC Engine CD. This was both exciting and confusing for Ys fans at the time - which should we get? Which is the "real" Ys 4? It turned out that Falcom made neither version of the game, but instead licensed its story outline and music to Tonkinhouse for the SFC version and Hudson for the PCE CD version. Rumor had it that Falcom was working on its own version of the game with Sega for the Sega CD, but it never saw the light of day. This left fans always wondering what Falcom's true vision of the game was, and if the day would ever come when we would see it. That day is finally upon us!

Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta is an action RPG by Falcom. The general mechanics of the game have a lot in common with Ys 7. As in Ys 7, Adol is not going on his adventure alone; he'll be joined by several party members, and they can be switched between with ease on-the-fly. The skill system also returns, allowing you to learn new skills from equipment and set them to shortcuts for quick use. The flash guard system is expanded to include flash dodging as well, and they've added aerial combos as well.

iJrLys5OTNG1n.png

Trailer (English subtitled)
Opening movie
TGS gameplay demonstration

Jucksalbe

Banned
Game looks great. I will have to wait for an English version, though.
Looking forward to your impressions of the game.

Sid

Sep. 27,2012 is the release date,really looking forward to this,if the jap. version had english subs and dub i would have imported it,hoping that it gets localised.

I will buy a Vita for this game, sooner if it gets localized and later if I need to import it. Looks so good and it's pretty much my favorite game series.

Oh Ys, how I love thee. Everytime I see the games title, I'm consistently reminded that I don't have a Vita and that it doesn't even have a stateside date. This is the one to force my hand in getting a Vita, though. Hopefully we get that date sooner rather than later.

I can't wait to read up on some in depth impressions. Hope everyone has fun with it!

If this collectors edition comes to NA I will do something I haven't done in a long time: preorder it. Either way this is the game that gets me to buy a vita, so the sooner it is localised the better.

Marche90

Damn, is it already time for its release? Man, time sure does fly. Anyway, hoping this one makes it to NA. I need at least 3 games to justify buying a console, and Gravity Rush, Persona 4 Golden and Ys Celceta certainly fits the bill here.

Got DJ Max Technika tune and This coming.
Next week will be a good one for my Vita.

I'm coming off of playing the other Ys games in story order, so I'm pretty psyched.

Takao

Banned
Or announcement at all for that matter! Hopefully we get it around the middle of next year. Otherwise I kind of doubt it will get localized at all unless the Vita somehow picks up steam.

>_< This is XSEED. They're localizing Vita games that didn't even sell 10k in Japan.

Aeana

Got DJ Max Technika tune and This coming.
Next week will be a good one for my Vita.

I'm coming off of playing the other Ys games in story order, so I'm pretty psyched.

I actually meant to mention this in the OP, but this one takes place between Ys 2 and Ys 3, if you didn't know.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
>_< This is XSEED. They're localizing Vita games that didn't even sell 10k in Japan.

I think whatever Ragnarok Odyssey does will be a bigger indicator than their two DD-only games. As long as the Vita does relatively decently through the holiday season they'll probably localize it though, the series as a whole has done well for them.

And I haven't heard anything from the soundtrack apart from what was in the trailer/opening. Looking forward to the OST almost as much as the game.

eXistor

I'm still kinda confused. This is the third version of Ys4 right? The Falcom one? I always thought for some reason that this release was both non-Falcom versions in one package.

It would be amazing if those other 2 versions would make it as a bonus.

Aeana

I'm still kinda confused. This is the third version of Ys4 right? The Falcom one? I always thought for some reason that this release was both non-Falcom versions in one package.

Nope. This game is to Ys 4 as Ys: Oath in Felghana is to Ys 3. It's a total reimagining of the scenario.
In fact, going by what we know about the story
it almost sounds like this takes place after the original Ys 4 idea and Adol's going to be recapturing memories from his time in the other stories

Misterhbk

When this game makes it overseas I'll reinvest in the Vita. Seriously, both the 3DS and Vita are lacking in JRPG games.

Toki767

Will get this if it ever comes out in English. For now I'll settle for playing Ys Origin/Oath in Felghana on Steam.

Foshy

Played a bit of Ys Seven and I liked it, I will look into this when it gets an english release.

How do you pronouce Ys, anyway? I've been saying it like "Ees" but that's probably wrong.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh shoot. I forgot this was coming out this week. Just when I start becoming swamped with school/work stuff too. >_<

Did Falcom have a stream last night or something? Did they show gameplay off, and does it have any Ys 4 music? I was watching the Tales/Namco one instead.

"That's what I said, foilage. It doesn't take a nucular scientist to pronounce foilage!"

Top Bottom