• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about "creepshots"

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
for fuck's sake, stop arguing about yoga pants.

Most of those pics in the subreddit from the OP feature normal clothes or short shorts

Trey

Your entire moral compass relies on what is legal or not legal?
So it only becomes immoral or wrong if a law is made against it?

Seeing as I disagree with certain laws, no. My moral compass is my moral compass, and jail/legal systems are a means to an end.

Some people look creepy but I wouldn't call them wrong. Some people do shit I disagree with but I wouldn't call them wrong. I feel some women shouldn't feel so scandalized when their features are appreciated, but then I wouldn't call them wrong because there are a lot of assholes who go too far in their "appreciation".

So, thus, I do not intrinsically link undesirable features people have or certain disagreeable actions people do (in my opinion, of course) with being wrong. Allows for more moral flexibility.

neocoder

Banned
If you go to a beach in the US, you'll see most guys wear baggy, long shorts but women were all types of bathing suits ranging from shorts/tanks to skimpy bikinis. The former is practical because less skin decreases the odds for skin cancer and for opportunities for your bottoms to fall off when you swim/dive.

So what is the purpose of wearing skimpy bikinis? To flaunt your stuff and to get looks from guys and other women? To get a better tan? More comfortable?

I think guys enjoy looking at women and most times, women enjoy getting looks from guys. That's the nature of our species.

I think that there are very few species where this is reversed. Birds are one. The male birds have brighter colors and better chirps to attract the females.

While I do find myself stealing glances at attractive women in public, I would never go around taking pictures.

for fuck's sake, stop arguing about yoga pants.

Most of those pics in the subreddit from the OP feature normal clothes or short shorts

But how did those men get aroused?!?!

If you go to a beach in the US, you'll see most guys wear baggy, long shorts but women were all types of bathing suits ranging from shorts/tanks to skimpy bikinis. The former is practical because less skin decreases the odds for skin cancer and for opportunities for your bottoms to fall off when you swim/dive.

Most dudes wear baggy, long shorts because:

a)They fear a social stigma of showing too much leg (check fashion 50 years ago for a completely different view on this) and/or homophobia

b)They have chicken legs

"Short" short (that is, those that cut off above the knee) are faaar more comfortable (and functional, as far as movement goes) than board shorts, IMO. You don't see too many board shorts in the military.

Rookje

Creeps take pics of guys too.

6a00d8341c2ca253ef0154365b5981970c-400wi

6a00d8341c2ca253ef0163029c5c02970d-400wi

Welcome to planet earth.

joelseph

No, because people are full of shit when explaining motivations that contradict things they profess.

If you're not sitting around in the privacy of your home on a rainy day reading a book in your tight/revealing outfit, then it's pretty damn obvious that the reason you wear it in public is for the affect it has on others. I mean pretty much by definition. You wear it to look a certain way, and since you're not spending the whole day in front of a mirror, it's to look a certain way TO OTHERS. To have a certain effect on them.

I was going to say something similar but Curt has it covered.

oneils

"loose is better than tight."

Lol where do you guys get this shit? Tell this to all the dudes who wear boxer briefs instead of boxers.

I think guys enjoy looking at women and most times, women enjoy getting looks from guys. That's the nature of our species.

People like getting looks from the same and or opposite sex which is why most people try to care about how they dress. It's not necessarily exclusive to men looking a women.

There is a distinct line between looking an creepy though which is not so easily defined

Best post by the Joker, and a fitting response to yours.

Just a heads up, I've ONLY been talking about yoga pants and leggings.

Anyway.

I'm not saying they need a bullet proof vest. I'm not saying they need a burkah. But if you wear yoga "pants" and you get offended when someone stares at your ass because they can see the underwear you're wearing, don't be fucking surprised. MOST people don't walk around in their underwear because they don't appreciate people looking at them, and if you're one of those people DON'T SHOW YOUR UNDERWEAR.

I'm not gonna walk around with my dick out and say "The fuck you looking at my dick for?"

I don't understand why you're dodging the question. It's not difficult. Should your wife stop wearing the scarf to safeguard herself from harassment or not?

She wears a scarf because she's ok with it. If someone harassed her for it, she'd understand why, she expects someone, every once in a while to respond in a negative manner.

Now, if a woman wears leggings, you can clearly see their ass and thong, and then she is appalled when someone makes a comment or snaps a picture, that's another story. Is she ok with showing her thong or not? If she is, then why is she complaining? If she isn't why is she wearing the leggings/yoga pants where people can see it?

My wife expects an ignorant person to make some racist remark because of what she wears.
Now if this woman is wearing these leggings so her ass is clearly visible, she should expect a response as well.

I may be a part of the problem because, despite not taking or viewing creepshots I don't necessarily "get" some of these posts. Most of my feeling stems from the fact that unless we're talking about underhanded pantie shots, the photos are simply capturing how people choose to present themselves in public. If we can laugh at "candid photos of people at wal-mart" why is "candid photos of hot girls" somehow more sordid and tisk tisk worthy?

As to why the photography - really? You don't think any guy jerks off to that hot girl they saw earlier in the day? The hot girl in the yoga pants that they describe to their friends with such clarity? With the evolution of high resolution cameras in phones, it just makes it easier for the guy to capture what used to be a fleeting memory.

Again - I agree that it's creepy, but I guess I just lump it with all of the other creepy things many guys just generally do. It hardly seems revelatory or like a hot-button issue to me.

I think both are terrible. taking pictures of people to laugh at is no better behavior than taking perverted pics,especially considering some of these photos make it on to blogs for people to laugh at.

Trey

Again, because it's stupid to assume you know the motivation behind what is being worn.

I think it's fair to say that women understand the kind of attention it will draw, and balance that against the practical applications afforded by wearing the item. They can disagree with the fact that it draws attention, and they can find men at fault for giving that affection, but they should understand that it will bring certain attention to themselves.

So if I go out to dinner in a $120,000 car wearing a $5,000 watch do I deserve to be robbed?

Lol, you guys keep building this strawman, like I'm saying they SHOULD get their picture taken or a rich guy that flaunts it SHOULD get robbed.

You guys keep trying to put words in my mouth, but if you don't safeguard your shit, don't expect it to be safe. It's common sense. We don't live on fucking Sesame Street where people don't get robbed, shot at or raped.

Dizzy

Banned
Creeps take pics of guys too.

*pics*

Welcome to planet earth.

Fair point actually. Too many times I've been in clubs and seen women holding their phones next to a guys ass to take a pic - without him knowing, or worse just straight up grabbing a mans ass.

This is still REALLY creepy.

Kipe

Our society has been doing the exact same shit for what two, three decades with celebrities and now that the camera is focused on the public it's morally outrageous. Keep buying and reading those tabloids.

I hate to be that guy, but could I get a response to this?

In response to JokerofSpades' post, where does the "don't accept drinks from strangers" play into this? Is there a reason this isn't seen as victim-blaming? I'm not trying to be cute, I'm genuinely curious.

Is there a reason that this is ok since it's a very specific issue and not ok when someone says don't get too upset when some creep takes a snapshot of your bum in public? Where's the line drawn?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
When I used to carry my camera everywhere I went, I liked taking candid shots. I only did it in public though (outside space, not in stores or in the mall or whatever). If I ever took shots of people, I made it obvious and didn't hide the fact, or don't super crop it so it only includes ass. Yeah, it's creepy. Not illegal though. Unless we're talking about upskirt/bathroom/changing room pics.

There's an art to capturing everyday moments, but I don't think it's okay to just take only ass shots or something to that nature

When I used to carry my camera everywhere I went, I liked taking candid shots. I only did it in public though (outside space, not in stores or in the mall or whatever). If I ever took shots of people, I made it obvious and didn't hide the fact, or don't super crop it so it only includes ass. Yeah, it's creepy. Not illegal though. Unless we're talking about upskirt/bathroom/changing room pics.

There's an art to capturing everyday moments, but I don't think it's okay to just take only ass shots or something to that nature

Holy shit, serious post. I agree 100%. Voyeurism is disgusting.

Is there a reason that this is ok since it's a very specific issue and not ok when someone says don't get too upset when some creep takes a snapshot of your bum in public? Where's the line drawn?

Are you wondering about the fear of being drugged, or using the "can I buy you a drink" line to hit on someone?

Lol, you guys keep building this strawman, like I'm saying they SHOULD get their picture taken or a rich guy that flaunts it SHOULD get robbed.

You guys keep trying to put words in my mouth, but if you don't safeguard your shit, don't expect it to be safe. It's common sense. We don't live on fucking Sesame Street where people don't get robbed, shot at or raped.

So where do you draw the line? What's an acceptable dress code for you?

Are you wondering about the fear of being drugged, or using the "can I buy you a drink" line to hit on someone?

Along the lines of staying away from roofies. It's a practical way to avoid a situation where you'd be raped. This sort of thing isn't a terrible personal sacrifice, but you are having to change how you would normally behave to avoid certain situations. This is encouraged and not really seen(that I know of) as victim-blaming. Is this whole thing really about your personal freedoms being affected or blaming the victim?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I was just thinking about this the other day, while lamenting the fact that my Sprint model Galaxy S3 can't take stealth photos and wishing I could turn off that stupid shutter sound. It would be great to take any secret pictures of girls I admired, but I'm not the kind of person to keep images of people as trophies, or upload them for everyone on the internet to see. It's simply "That's hot, I'd like to look at that again, or save it for posterity."

As to why the photography - really? You don't think any guy jerks off to that hot girl they saw earlier in the day? The hot girl in the yoga pants that they describe to their friends with such clarity? With the evolution of high resolution cameras in phones, it just makes it easier for the guy to capture what used to be a fleeting memory.

Again - I agree that it's creepy, but I guess I just lump it with all of the other creepy things many guys just generally do. It hardly seems revelatory or like a hot-button issue to me.

Yeah, I won't remember a nice butt 3 days from now without taking a picture. (Though I don't masturbate to random people I see in real life; that's what random naked women on the internet are for.)

Along the lines of staying away from roofies. It's a practical way to avoid a situation where you'd be raped. This sort of thing isn't a terrible personal sacrifice, but you are having to change how you would normally behave to avoid certain situations. This is encouraged and not really seen(that I know of) as victim-blaming. Is this whole thing really about your personal freedoms being affected or blaming the victim?

I'd say that's somewhat in a different class, though related. In the current discussion, someone is very clearly a victim, in that something is happening to them that they can't control (whether it's being cat-called, photographed, or sexually assaulted). When you're offered a drink, you can decline or accept, based on prior conversation with the "stranger", cultural/societal norms, or your own personal beliefs/feelings.

I know that dressing a certain way is a "choice", but I don't feel it's the same, as cat-calling, taking photos, or assaulting someone is inherently vile in nature. Offering to buy someone a drink isn't.

No need to assume. Motivation can be deduced.

Life as the Sherlock Holmes of women's bodies and minds must be enthralling.

I was just thinking about this the other day, while lamenting the fact that my Sprint model Galaxy S3 can't take stealth photos and wishing I could turn off that stupid shutter sound. It would be great to take any secret pictures of girls I admired, but I'm not the kind of person to keep images of people as trophies, or upload them for everyone on the internet to see. It's simply "That's hot, I'd like to look at that again, or save it for posterity."

So you're a creep.

So where do you draw the line? What's an acceptable dress code for you?

Whatever the wearer is comfortable with? If they like their ass all over the internet when they wear leggings, it's up to them. If they feel more comfortable with a skirt over their leggings, then that's the "line."

People will make comments regardless, but it's in the eye of the beholder on what is reasonable and what isn't.

If they wear regular jeans and some creep makes some comment about her ass, but she feels like what she wears is "reasonable" then that's fine. That's the line.

But don't wear something that draws attention to you, and not expect attention, whether positive or negative.

I'd say that's somewhat in a different class, though related. In the current discussion, someone is very clearly a victim, in that something is happening to them that they can't control (whether it's being cat-called, photographed, or sexually assaulted). When you're offered a drink, you can decline or accept, based on prior conversation with the "stranger", cultural/societal norms, or your own personal beliefs/feelings.

I know that dressing a certain way is a "choice", but I don't feel it's the same, as cat-calling, taking photos, or assaulting someone is inherently vile in nature. Offering to buy someone a drink isn't.

Well there's also the wrinkle that it's heavily encouraged to not have your drink leave your sight(i.e. don't leave it on a table), which pretty much necessitates a state of paranoia to varying degrees. But I get where you're coming from.

Whatever the wearer is comfortable with? If they like their ass all over the internet when they wear leggings, it's up to them. If they feel more comfortable with a skirt over their leggings, then that's the "line."

People will make comments regardless, but it's in the eye of the beholder on what is reasonable and what isn't.

If they wear regular jeans and some creep makes some comment about her ass, but she feels like what she wears is "reasonable" then that's fine. That's the line.

But don't wear something that draws attention to you, and not expect attention, whether positive or negative.

Here's the thing, some people could wear a Muumuu or loose fit clothing in order to try to distant themselves from attention but creeps will be creeps. You don't really help anything by policing what victims do, you only shame them for their choices when it doesn't really matter because of the intentions of those who would creep or harass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom